Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Caad 8 Sora or Specialized Allez Elite!!! Decisions Decisions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 04:34 PM
robacycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

Looking for some different opinions. Well I went into my local bike shop looking for a new bike specifically the Giant Defy. I am currently riding a cheap walmart bike (GMC Yukon) that I just can't ride any longer and I am ready to upgrade. Numerous issues with riding this bike but I won't get into all that in this thread, anybody who has ridden a cheap bike and then ridden a not so cheap bike knows exactly what I would say.

Anyway so the local bike shop does not carry Giant bikes and told me quite frankly that they are boring and he recommends the Cannondale Caad 10 105 however that is above what I am willing to spend starting out. He then pointed me in the direction of the Cannondale Caad 8 Sora which he suggest mainly because of the stiffness of the frame and then he pointed me to the Specialized Allez Elite as the step down from the Caad 8 but not as stiff but stiffer than the snapyse.

I am a tall guy so these bikes will be in a 61 however in the cycle world to say a bike absolutely fits my height I would need a 63 however the only 63 they have is well above my price point and I feel great on a 61, although I haven't ridden a 63 to compare it to. I should add I wasn't able to test ride the Caad 8 or specialized elite yet because they were at the warehouse but i was able to ride a specialized something that was a 61 with a 2000 price tag that was really nice just to see how I fit.

I would like any opinions on the two bikes or other suggestions but I think I am pretty set on these two choices. I should also add I am regular rider, few times a week, long rides on the weekend type of rider. I live in so cal so I have the opportunity to hit hills from time to time.

Thanks
Old 03-06-16, 04:49 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 162 Posts
If you're getting pushed into something else, find a different LBS.
Old 03-06-16, 04:55 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Those are both good bikes but if the bike does not fit it's not going to be an upgrade fore any thing. Like its been said find another shop if the current one just wants more floor space. You have a budget and a good shop will help you with your parameters.
Old 03-06-16, 04:59 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
I had CAAD 7 for many years and loved it. CAAD8 is very similar. I now have CAAD 10 and the ride quality is quite a bit better. I have not ridden specialized allez, but am very intrigued by the smartweld frames they have been offering. Between CAAD10 and allez, I took the 10, partly because geometry was same as what I was used to while Specialized was a bit different. Between allez and CAAD8, I'd take the Allez, particularly since the elite has a better component spec than the CAAD8 Sora.

But both will serve you well and you can always upgrade components later on the Caad8. Dont be pressured by Lbs to chose without riding them. If they wont work with you on test ride, find another shop. Pick the one that feels best.

Frankly, based on your description, I am not sure your Lbs guy knows what he is talking about.
Old 03-07-16, 12:53 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would go with the Allez Elite over a Caad 8 Sora. The Allez is Tiagra, which is one step up, and has the DSW frame, which is a very nice riding frame that I believe is more comparable to the Caad 10/12. However, I would test ride both in the right size (or same geometry frame) if I could. Also, if you were looking for a Defy (you decide what bike looks boring to you), it's more upright than the Caad or Allez. If you want Cannondale or Specialized maybe you can look at their "endurance" bikes.

FWIW, I did go with an Allez Elite over a Caad 8 tiagra. I thought the Allez geometry felt better to me when I sat on the bike vs. the caad 8. It's hard to find shops where I am to test ride bikes. I really like my bike, and it feels great on the road, and is very responsive, turns on a dime.
Old 03-07-16, 01:10 AM
Pendergast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you considered the CAADX? It's in Cannondale's cyclocross category, but it's a nice all-arounder.
Old 03-07-16, 01:30 AM
robacycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I haven't considered a Caad X. I will test ride the Caad 8 and Allez this week and check back in to let ya'll know what I think. I should be able to take each out for a mile or two to really see whats up and how I feel. thanks for the thoughts.
Old 03-07-16, 11:19 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Whatever you do, 'measure twice and cut once'. In other words, ride them all before you plunk down your $$$. Make sure the one you select is the right size for you. Remember that all of these bikes will feel like riding clouds compared to your GMC. Don't fall in love immediately.
Old 03-07-16, 12:00 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Don't buy a bike that doesn't fit because they have it sitting there. A good shop can order the correct size.

If they have ANY bikes that a better sized, test them, just to get sense of the fit/feel before you commit to a size.

There's nothing wrong with finding a different shop that sells Giant. Most shops only carry 2-3 brands, due to distribution agreements. Think of it like car dealerships. If you happen to have a very good relationship with one shop, I can see that being a good reason to limit brand selection, but it doesn't seem like that's the case here.
Old 03-07-16, 12:09 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by robacycle
Hello All,

Looking for some different opinions. Well I went into my local bike shop looking for a new bike specifically the Giant Defy. I am currently riding a cheap walmart bike (GMC Yukon) that I just can't ride any longer and I am ready to upgrade. Numerous issues with riding this bike but I won't get into all that in this thread, anybody who has ridden a cheap bike and then ridden a not so cheap bike knows exactly what I would say.

Anyway so the local bike shop does not carry Giant bikes and told me quite frankly that they are boring and he recommends the Cannondale Caad 10 105 however that is above what I am willing to spend starting out. He then pointed me in the direction of the Cannondale Caad 8 Sora which he suggest mainly because of the stiffness of the frame and then he pointed me to the Specialized Allez Elite as the step down from the Caad 8 but not as stiff but stiffer than the snapyse.

I am a tall guy so these bikes will be in a 61 however in the cycle world to say a bike absolutely fits my height I would need a 63 however the only 63 they have is well above my price point and I feel great on a 61, although I haven't ridden a 63 to compare it to. I should add I wasn't able to test ride the Caad 8 or specialized elite yet because they were at the warehouse but i was able to ride a specialized something that was a 61 with a 2000 price tag that was really nice just to see how I fit.

I would like any opinions on the two bikes or other suggestions but I think I am pretty set on these two choices. I should also add I am regular rider, few times a week, long rides on the weekend type of rider. I live in so cal so I have the opportunity to hit hills from time to time.

Thanks
I would bet that if his shop carried Giant, bike shop salesman would not opine that they are boring.
Old 03-07-16, 12:41 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have a cheap bike that cost $800 5 years ago and have ridden it for 19,000 happy and trouble free miles. I would have to agree with the many statements on this forum that the most important thing is a bike that you will find comfortable for the longest ride you will do. It also important to have a local bike shop that you can trust and will put you on that bike. All the major brands are likely to be good purchases so that small details of one over the other will not very important. Such details become important for very experienced cyclists or those who race. The Giant Defy has a good rep for comfort and for good value for the money. I'd probably stay with that idea unless someone steps up with a screaming deal on something else.
Old 03-07-16, 02:30 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, Giant bikes are certainly not boring. I love my Cannondale, but if I had a Giant I am sure I would love that one, too. Giant is also usually priced a bit less than Cannondale. The good thing about Cannondale right now though is they are doing their spring training sale (https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/non...ng%20Sale.aspx). Go find a shop that sells Giant, and compare to what you tried out already.
Old 03-07-16, 03:02 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Find a shop that sells Giant.
Old 03-07-16, 03:12 PM
vinnyvincent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Find a shop that sells Giant.

+1 sounds like you're being pressured to purchase what they have in stock
Old 03-08-16, 02:47 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Don't buy a bike that doesn't fit because they have it sitting there. A good shop can order the correct size.

If they have ANY bikes that a better sized, test them, just to get sense of the fit/feel before you commit to a size.

There's nothing wrong with finding a different shop that sells Giant. Most shops only carry 2-3 brands, due to distribution agreements. Think of it like car dealerships. If you happen to have a very good relationship with one shop, I can see that being a good reason to limit brand selection, but it doesn't seem like that's the case here.
Agreed with everything in this post.

Fit is the primary consideration, and you should go to several LBSs to road test bikes to get a good fit.

Giant, Cannondale, and Specialized make good bikes in your budget range. But Trek, Fuji, Felt, Raleigh, Jamis, etc. also make good bikes in your budget range.

Try several LBSs and road test several bikes at each shop.

If you live in Southern California, there should be a Performance Bike somewhere near you. I know that they sell the Fuji Roubaix in sizes up to 64.

GH