Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Intenso 105 or Roubaix SL4 Disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 11:11 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

At first, I was considering a Giant Defy 2 Disc. Then, a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc. Now, I'm looking at a Bianchi Intenso 105.

Decisions, decisions...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...l4-disc/106620

Intenso 105 | Bianchi USA
Old 04-01-16, 12:25 PM
soom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
At first, I was considering a Giant Defy 2 Disc. Then, a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc. Now, I'm looking at a Bianchi Intenso 105.

Decisions, decisions...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...l4-disc/106620

Intenso 105 | Bianchi USA
I actually tried the intenso ultegra (celeste color only comes with ultegra in US it seems) and it was a stable+pleasant ride. Not as forward positioned as say a BMC SLR but I cannot compare it to any of the others you're looking at. If you're looking for a fairly relaxed geometry I would have no qualms recc'ing it. Get the intenso on sale if possible and I think you cant go wrong with either or.

As they say... get the one that you wish to ride before n+1 happens.
Old 04-01-16, 03:10 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
They're going to ride fairly differently. The Roubaix will provide better bump compliance and a smoother ride over bad roads. The Intenso will have more edge to it, and a little more road feel. The Intenso is the middle ground between a Tarmac and a Roubiax.

They're both excellent bikes, the choice is really a personal preference. You can't go wrong with either. Ride both, buy the one that feels best. Don't over-think it, buy the one that leaves you smiling most when you get off. Do that and you'll still be smiling after many thousand miles.
Old 04-01-16, 05:13 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
They're going to ride fairly differently. The Roubaix will provide better bump compliance and a smoother ride over bad roads. The Intenso will have more edge to it, and a little more road feel. The Intenso is the middle ground between a Tarmac and a Roubiax.

They're both excellent bikes, the choice is really a personal preference. You can't go wrong with either. Ride both, buy the one that feels best. Don't over-think it, buy the one that leaves you smiling most when you get off. Do that and you'll still be smiling after many thousand miles.
Good advice.
Another aspect is...some Roubaix's can be had...new Expert for example...with an English threaded BB and std. 27.2mm seatpost...both very desirable for those that want the least drama with bike ownership.
So its more than just a slight personality difference well explained by gsa. I for example prefer the Roubaix Expert to both the Domane and Emonda...both excellent bikes...for the same reason...I vastly prefer the Roubaix's BB and seatpost design...provided the level of Roubaix SL4 has an English threaded BB like my SL3. No doubt the Bianchi is an excellent bike....they know what they are doing.

2016 Roubaix SL4 Expert with Ultegra 11s with English Threaded BB:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-expert/106452

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-01-16 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 05:29 PM
Gus90

Bikes: A few too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on riding them both and choosing which one you feel better on.

However, I'd lean more towards the Roubaix with the discs as that seems to be where things are headed. I have a CX with discs and a road with calipers and the disc brakes are far and away better at stopping. They do come with a slight weight penalty though.
Old 04-01-16, 05:43 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gus90
+1 on riding them both and choosing which one you feel better on.

However, I'd lean more towards the Roubaix with the discs as that seems to be where things are headed. I have a CX with discs and a road with calipers and the disc brakes are far and away better at stopping. They do come with a slight weight penalty though.
And roadies will be greatly divided on disks for a pure roadbike. I like discs for a gravel or off road bike like a 29er....but not for the road. To me, discs are a PITA to keep adjusted and are needlessly fiddly...add weight...aren't as aero...for very little performance...modulation mostly...benefit. If living in the mountains, I may feel otherwise. My thoughts.
Old 04-01-16, 05:54 PM
Gus90

Bikes: A few too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
And roadies will be greatly divided on disks for a pure roadbike. I like discs for a gravel or off road bike like a 29er....but not for the road. To me, discs are a PITA to keep adjusted and are needlessly fiddly...add weight...aren't as aero...for very little performance...modulation mostly...benefit. If living in the mountains, I may feel otherwise. My thoughts.
I can't argue with that, but I've ridden both of my bikes on hilly roads and I do feel way more comfortable with the discs in spite of their current draw backs. So far I've had no problems with them and I even swap wheelsets fairly often on both bikes. I find the road bike with calipers more of a pain when swapping wheels because I have to adjust the brakes more to fit the rim width. With the discs, it's a lot easier. There is a spacer tool you can buy on the cheap that makes adjustment easy peasy.
Old 04-01-16, 06:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 383 Posts
Ridden and raced in the mountains, and still don't see the case for disc brakes on a road bike
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-01-16, 10:48 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Scott Solace is my pick for an endurance bike after test the Carbon Defy, Roubaix. It is an extremely good climbing bike and better than my Tarmac. Scott is a very underrated bike maker.
Old 04-02-16, 04:27 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 2702
Scott Solace is my pick for an endurance bike after test the Carbon Defy, Roubaix. It is an extremely good climbing bike and better than my Tarmac. Scott is a very underrated bike maker.
Nice you are effusive in your praise of the Solace. It may 'feel' a bit sportier than the Roubaix which is probably the most stable and predictable handling bike on the planet. And, the Solace may even feel like it climbs faster than a Roubaix which is a great climbing bike with its overall stiffness. But...where the buck stops. A Solace will not out climb a Tarmac which is probably the best climbing bike on the planet. No doubt the Solace will climb just fine tho. The Scott Addict probably won't approach the climbing prowess of the Tarmac either..but close enough.
Yes, German designed Scotts are excellent bikes as are all the top tier makers. So it really comes down to personal preference. The Solace also has BB86 for those that care about such things. I do because given a choice which we all have, no thanks.

PS: when choosing a new bike...to me the next leap forward in race/endurance bike design will be a change in standard to the BB. This won't be easy or even feasible for many manufactures who have steadfastly woven their BB shell designs into their downtube and chainstay connections. There is a new threaded large spindle BB out there and when more mfr's embrace that and move away from the PITA of press fit, there will be happier high end bike owners. Meanwhile, there are companies that still make great bikes with std. threaded BB. As to endurance bikes, the Roubaix Expert mentioned...what I consider to be a decent value with Ultegra 11s (easily converted to Campy derailleurs + shifters ...but not their Pro or Sworks models..or even their Expert Disc inexplicably are BB30...too bad....and Pinarello has gone to Italian threaded which will adapt Shimano's excellent cranks...and Campy UT will mount beautifully for a reliable BB. The Pinarello Rokh is also an excellent endurance bike not talked much about and of course the Dogma is a fantastic race bike for those with the flexibility to ride slammed.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-02-16 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-02-16, 07:06 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3214 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,057 Posts
Definitely go Intenso because the Roubaix is ugly.
Old 04-02-16, 08:54 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Definitely go Intenso because the Roubaix is ugly.
Ugly? I have to laugh. Your list of bikes below looks like a ten dollar garage sale...lol.
Old 04-02-16, 09:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Ugly? I have to laugh. Your list of bikes below looks like a ten dollar garage sale...lol.
$1 ugly ain't the same as $2k ugly, which is my point.
Old 04-02-16, 12:04 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
$1 ugly ain't the same as $2k ugly, which is my point.
Money can't buy taste. Your opinion against the most popular endurance bike ever sold. Specialized got it right. You don't...lol.
Old 04-02-16, 12:17 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Money can't buy taste. Your opinion against the most popular endurance bike ever sold. Specialized got it right. You don't...lol.
Popular taste is precisely for the masses. Style is something else altogether...and contrary to popularity. I've always prefered the cool kids to the popular ones, although the two are not mutually exclusive. Nonetheless, you won't catch my ass on a Roubaix, regardless of whether it's popular or not, because it's ugly.
Old 04-02-16, 12:23 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Popular taste is precisely for the masses. Style is something else altogether...and contrary to popularity. I've always prefered the cool kids to the popular ones, although the two are not mutually exclusive. Nonetheless, you won't catch my ass on a Roubaix, regardless of whether it's popular or not, because it's ugly.
Can we agree that your Breezer, Lemond and Schwinn are all POS's?
Loving your comments...you a guy who owns bottom of the barrel bikes.
Old 04-02-16, 12:30 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Can we agree that your Breezer, Lemond and Schwinn are all POS's?
Loving your comments...you a guy who owns bottom of the barrel bikes.
No, we can't.

Did your mom give you a Roubaix for your birthday or something? No offense was intended, and I certainly didn't mean to disrespect your mom or her predilection for popular taste.
Old 04-02-16, 12:43 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No, we can't.

Did your mom give you a Roubaix for your birthday or something? No offense was intended, and I certainly didn't mean to disrespect your mom or her predilection for popular taste.

Why not? No offense to your Mom other than raising you to earn more money to buy better bikes...lol. I mean since you own and ride bikes from a garage sale or flee market, at least have the common decency to not post them as your signature. I mean, I don't list that I have a toilet in the bathroom either. Maybe she tried her best.

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-02-16 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 12:56 PM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Decisions, decisions...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/roubaix

I just bought the Roubaix SL4 expert in blue. Non disc version. I live on Long Island which is pretty flat and only ride in the rain if I get caught in it during a ride. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-expert/106452

I test rode the Synapse, Intenso, Domane, Defy, and Roubaix. I really liked the Ultegra Intenso because how can you not love celeste? I was coming from a 1987 Cannondale SR500, with indexed 105 down tube shifters. Any of these bikes would have suited me well, but I wanted to buy from a specific shop, so my choices were limited to the Defy and the Roubaix. I ruled out the Defy because they are all disc now, hydraulic or mechanical depending on the model you choose. I just didn't want the added complexity of the disc brakes, plus, to me, they just don't look as nice as rim brakes. Silly I know, but the rim brakes look elegant and classic to me. I only have 4 rides so far, a little over 200 miles.

The frame seems responsive and lively. I was worried about the dead feeling that many describe as a characteristic of carbon fiber frames, but the Roubaix frame feels snappy. As was previously cited, the expert flavor has a threaded bottom bracket, which while perhaps heavier will hopefully be free of any drama.

Happy hunting.

Tom

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-02-16 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 01:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Why not? No offense to your Mom other than raising you to earn more money to buy better bikes...lol. I mean since you own and ride bikes from a garage sale or flee market, at least have the common decency to not post them as your signature. I mean, I don't list that I have a toilet in the bathroom either. Maybe she tried her best.
Was the Roubaix a gift from your mom when you got your first boyfriend?
Old 04-02-16, 01:10 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Was the Roubaix a gift from your mom when you got your first boyfriend?
Hopefully BillyD will come along and remove your post. Thanks for the laugh tho and good luck with the garage sale. Should be a big windfall...lol.
Old 04-02-16, 01:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Hopefully BillyD will come along and remove your post. Thanks for the laugh tho and good luck with the garage sale. Should be a big windfall...lol.
Just asking questions, trying to understand why you thought it was smart to start insulting me...was it a bris gift, maybe? You could answer, you know, or do you not even have a Roubaix, you little tease?
Old 04-02-16, 01:48 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Just asking questions, trying to understand why you thought it was smart to start insulting me...was it a bris gift, maybe? You could answer, you know, or do you not even have a Roubaix, you little tease?
Sorry, didn't mean to insult. You must be very thin skinned. I just found your statement comical. You own a bunch of 50 dollar bikes and you are denigrating the most popular endurance bike on the market. Kind of like a guy who lives in a trailer park criticizing the guy's tudor style house on the other side of town. No offense really. Thought I was simply stating the obvious. Further you insult the OP who has good enough taste to consider a Roubaix..and of course all the others in this thread that own them...again from a guy...you...who owns bikes that can be bought in garage sale for $10. Can't make this stuff up.
Old 04-02-16, 03:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Sorry, didn't mean to insult. You must be very thin skinned. I just found your statement comical. You own a bunch of 50 dollar bikes and you are denigrating the most popular endurance bike on the market. Kind of like a guy who lives in a trailer park criticizing the guy's tudor style house on the other side of town. No offense really. Thought I was simply stating the obvious. Further you insult the OP who has good enough taste to consider a Roubaix..and of course all the others in this thread that own them...again from a guy...you...who owns bikes that can be bought in garage sale for $10. Can't make this stuff up.
Whatever. The Roubaix is ugly, and the Bianchi isn't.
Old 04-02-16, 03:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked 6,710 Times in 3,845 Posts
This thread has unfortunately gone off the rails.

Closed.