Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cholesterol Blood Test

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cholesterol Blood Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 12:03 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
Now total is 169 with HDL 32 and LDL 124.
With numbers like that it sounds like a bit weight loss (unless you're over 6') and a change in diet would fix everything. You're HDL (good cholesterol) is way too low and the LDL (bad cholesterol) is too high and the ratio between the two is out of whack.
I have this book and it has loads of great information about helping your heart.

I just picked up this one and it looks like another good read.

Not the usual low fat junk that many cardiologists push — including my cardiologist.

Good luck with your cholesterol battle.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 04-23-16 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 12:56 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
28 Health and Beauty Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar

Lower blood cholesterol.
  • Research has indicated that apple cider vinegar improves the lipid profile of blood by decreasing the levels of triglycerides and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) or bad cholesterol, as also by increasing the levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) or good cholesterol. If you have high cholesterol, consult your physician.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: at4-share-container"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Old 04-23-16, 02:10 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Any chance you are a Vet, and can go to the VA?

I got the best results with Red Yeast Rice capsules and Fish Oil capsules, both prescribed by my doc, over the counter, and relatively cheap. Take em twice a day..
Old 04-23-16, 02:30 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
How often do you get this? I am 69.5 years old, 207 lbs. and Dr. wants to put me on Crestor due to my inching up cholesterol number. Now total is 169 with HDL 32 and LDL 124. Told me to take 1 every 7 days and then 2 and then 3 till I could no longer handle the pain. I have done hours of reading here and that is not going to happen. I am presently with his consent trying to vary my diet and exercise and want to go every 6 weeks or so to have my cholesterol checked but Medicare only pays for this once per year. I want to do it more often to see if anything I'm doing is working without waiting 12 months.
Please advise and sorry for another statin/cholestrol from a baby boomer.
post your question on godlikeproductions.com

you will get very knoweleagable answers there
Old 04-23-16, 02:56 PM
Tony N.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I went to the local Vitamine Shop and got a bottle of ACV/honey and mixed it with 8 ounces of water. Not too bad. also got a bottoe of ACV pille but wife wont let me take both. She needs to lower her numbers as well and wont take statins either so we are going to see who does best. Sure hope it don't mess up my digestive system. 6-8 weeks from now I will have a cholestrol test to see if there is any change and adjust as nec. Will get back here then.
Old 04-23-16, 10:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
post your question on godlikeproductions.com

you will get very knoweleagable answers there
Heh. You're kidding, right?

Right?

That's one of the most entertaining sites online for fans of conspiracy theories and woo. But accurate info is rare and usually buried under a barrage of B.S. Not to mention the proliferation of casual racism and misogyny.
Old 04-24-16, 12:31 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I never had cholesterol problems, or so I thought. Total numbers were reasonable but as it turns out my HDL were really too low. I'm on Crestor, have no problems with it and a recent checkup showed my total cholesterol at 93. Still had two heart attacks because...genetics.
Old 04-24-16, 11:32 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
There was a report in the news a few weeks ago, here in the UK, that a 40 year research study has found no evidence linking high cholesterol to an increased risk of heart disease or stroke. Smoking, alcohol, depression and low levels of exercise were the main risk factors for untimely death.
Old 04-24-16, 01:35 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
I'm giving vitamin K a 6 month try. Also, my oatmeal intake is daily. Everything else is in alignment for an improved number on the September blood labs. Our clinic's head/boss female physician whom I have never met (though I coached her son in varsity wrestling) tried her best to hook me up to statins. She already knew I would say no but thought it was her duty to try me. My number is 204 if I recall.
Old 04-24-16, 01:43 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I went to the local Vitamine Shop and got a bottle of ACV/honey and mixed it with 8 ounces of water. Not too bad. also got a bottoe of ACV pille but wife wont let me take both. She needs to lower her numbers as well and wont take statins either so we are going to see who does best. Sure hope it don't mess up my digestive system. 6-8 weeks from now I will have a cholestrol test to see if there is any change and adjust as nec. Will get back here then.
Do not take the pills, just follow my advice or read it for yourself on the link I provided you.

For the record, ACV will CURE (not control) gout, acne, acid reflux, hyper tension, type II diabetes, digestive disorders and more
It will control high cholesterol, promote weight loss, muscle recovery, help baldness (regrow some hair) and more.

Back in the early greek days, ACV was one the most prescribed holistic medicines of the times. It's pretty good stuff and worth researching the benefits and then give it a try for a few weeks. Many people like the taste, others hate it. I'm glad that I like it and drinking it in water (NEVER drink it straight, it will yellow your teeth and erode your enamel).

Post up your results when you get them back. I'm sure that you will be surprised and pleased with the difference.
Old 04-24-16, 01:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,362 Times in 2,090 Posts
Get a new doctor. There's no reason to take statins with your scores.

Also, there is absolutely no justification for measuring your cholesterol as frequently as every 6 weeks. Even if your diet takes a complete u-turn (say, from sausage 3 times a day to only kale and wheat grass), your cholesterol numbers are not going to change that fast. it's not a measure of what you've eaten recently, but rather the conditions in your arteries which change much more slowly. Also, individual measurements have statistical errors, so small changes over a small time baseline would have little significance (e.g., going from 169 to 165 over a short period of time wouldn't tell you that you were headed in the right or wrong direction - as those two numbers are effectively the same within measurement error).

FWIW, I persistently have very high total cholesterol 190-220, but sky-high HDL (97 the last time it was checked). My PCP some times warns me that my total cholesterol is high and at one point brought up the possibility of statins. More recently, I've been consulting with a cardiologist (for other reasons - long story) who (a) said that my cholesterol is great because the HDL is so wonderfully high and (b) gave me an angiogram which showed that my Ca-score is in the zeroth percentile - e.g., that >99.9% of men my age have greater arterial blockage.
Old 04-24-16, 02:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by NYMXer
Do not take the pills, just follow my advice or read it for yourself on the link I provided you.

For the record, ACV will CURE (not control) gout, acne, acid reflux, hyper tension, type II diabetes, digestive disorders and more
It will control high cholesterol, promote weight loss, muscle recovery, help baldness (regrow some hair) and more.

Back in the early greek days, ACV was one the most prescribed holistic medicines of the times. It's pretty good stuff and worth researching the benefits and then give it a try for a few weeks. Many people like the taste, others hate it. I'm glad that I like it and drinking it in water (NEVER drink it straight, it will yellow your teeth and erode your enamel).

Post up your results when you get them back. I'm sure that you will be surprised and pleased with the difference.
I have no knowledge of ACV - not even knowing what the acronym stands for, but beware of any argument that includes claims that the "ancients" used this great cure for (fill in the blank) which modern medicine has somehow forgotten.

The life expectancy in classical Greece was about 30 years: (no "facts" without citation are worth arguing about: mortality | demography | Britannica.com). The greeks indeed pioneered the beginnings of the science of medicine (think Hippocrates), but the efficacy of the items in their proverbial medicine chest is no guide at all to what we should be using.
Old 04-24-16, 03:05 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Heh. You're kidding, right?

Right?

That's one of the most entertaining sites online for fans of conspiracy theories and woo. But accurate info is rare and usually buried under a barrage of B.S. Not to mention the proliferation of casual racism and misogyny.
best site on the net .... some very imformative people post there, but you have to sift out the BS from the others .... and one of the busiest forums globally .... I read all breaking news there and don't watch TV news

a quick search on cholesterol brings up these posts:

https://www.godlikeproductions.com/se...?q=cholesterol

you dont have to sign up to post.... you have a question.... ask it there.... you will find an answer
Old 04-25-16, 08:28 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
This is a hot topic among health care experts. For the most part, to them there is no debate. The studies are in and before long you will be on statins. Not me.
Old 04-25-16, 08:47 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
This is a hot topic among health care experts. For the most part, to them there is no debate. The studies are in and before long you will be on statins. Not me.
yeah! what do the experts know?
Old 04-25-16, 08:49 AM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I get my blood work done each year at 58 the lab has total cholesterol as normal below 200. I think any DR that wants you to go on meds for your number is crazy.

To my DR for each med a person goes on there is a systematic change that can take place in other organs/systems, yes he knows sometimes it is required but there are causes and effects from such. He tries to do anything before he puts a person on medications.
Old 04-25-16, 03:16 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Interestingly my total cholesterol is identical to yours at 169. However with my HDL at 84 my numbers are considered excellent. I consider myself blessed because both sides of my family have lots cardio-vascular issues: heart attacks, hypertension, diabetes, and the bad kind of high cholesterol. I attribute my circumstance to exercise and a mostly healthy diet which I've always maintained. No meds or supplements just real-food.
Old 04-25-16, 03:49 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by BigAura
Interestingly my total cholesterol is identical to yours at 169. However with my HDL at 84 my numbers are considered excellent. I consider myself blessed because both sides of my family have lots cardio-vascular issues: heart attacks, hypertension, diabetes, and the bad kind of high cholesterol. I attribute my circumstance to exercise and a mostly healthy diet which I've always maintained. No meds or supplements just real-food.
So you seem to have great cardiac health even though casual genetic indicators could suggest a poor outlook. So this gets to an interesting perspective: What determines your cardiac health - diet, lifestyle (and stress), genetics, supplements? My general opinion (not to be confused with anything authoritative) is that you can do a great deal with diet and lifestyle, that in some cases genetics plays a decisive role that is out of our control, and that supplements are either useless or at best greatly subordinate to the other three.

(Edit: By "supplements" I include statins and other establishment-blessed elixirs as well as those peddled at the local snake oil store. And no, I"m not trying to antagonize anybody- my main meaning is that diet, lifestyle, and genetics are paramount.)

Last edited by MinnMan; 04-25-16 at 04:19 PM.