Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

uci suspends disc brakes for road racing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

uci suspends disc brakes for road racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 10:53 AM
eriku16

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mark my words, some time in the future, there is going to be a protest/strike/walkout by some of the pros over this mess.
Old 05-03-16, 10:56 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's this thread about?
Old 05-03-16, 10:56 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I think your point here is that most of the tech advances of the past five decades have not made bikes faster or perform better (not limited to braking,) but I am not sure that this is at all true. A really good rider on a given bike is going to be a really good rider. On a much lighter, more aero bike with stickier tires and brakes, lighter, more aero wheels, said rider is going to perform better.
All of those items provide incremental improvements. Discs, likewise, provide incremental improvements. Are there negatives? Sure, but there are negatives to every other advancement as well. Aero has always come at a weight and/or stiffness penalty yet it is accepted. Theoretically, more gears and electronic shifting should mean more weight but manufacturers have been at it long enough that they've managed to reverse that trend, much like I'm sure they can do with discs.
Old 05-03-16, 10:57 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
Conspiracy theories.
Old 05-03-16, 10:58 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by eriku16
The doctor that stated that the injury was caused by a chainring is comissioned by the World Federation of the Sporting Goods Industry obliviously was totally impartial in his findings, right?
As impartial as the pro cyclist who thought discs were going to cause injuries and who blamed not only his but another cyclist's injury on discs (the latter claim being clearly proved false and the former being at least questionable).
Old 05-03-16, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Brakes are for fakes, yo.
Old 05-03-16, 11:03 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Conspiracy theories.
Like the bullet from the grassy knoll with a gyro in it to curve unnaturally which made it seem like Oswald took the shot from the building?
Old 05-03-16, 11:09 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Someone needs to make a video where they chuck, with force, a pot roast into a spinning disc rotor and see if it cuts. Every other test I've seen is someone's hand or a sausage (GCN) lightly resting on the spinning rotor. That's not the way I would do that test. Slam the thing into the rotor like it would happen during a race and see what the outcome is.
Old 05-03-16, 11:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
Cooking with bike parts.
Old 05-03-16, 11:11 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I want to see that test.
Old 05-03-16, 11:15 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mark my words, some time in the future, there is going to be a protest/strike/walkout by some of the pros over this mess.
What I wrote earlier. You can bank on it.
Pitiful really including all the denial here that disk brakes increase risk to rider safer. Shameful that the poor judgement of a few that don't have the talent to get in the arena and compete put those with the talent to do so in further harm's way. The boycott will occur before or after a rider is badly hacked in a pile up.
There are people on the 41 that believe sharp hood ornaments on automobiles should be brought back...lol.

Last edited by Campag4life; 05-03-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 11:26 AM
himespau 

Liked 3,011 Times in 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Someone needs to make a video where they chuck, with force, a pot roast into a spinning disc rotor and see if it cuts. Every other test I've seen is someone's hand or a sausage (GCN) lightly resting on the spinning rotor. That's not the way I would do that test. Slam the thing into the rotor like it would happen during a race and see what the outcome is.
Just get a ham and some swiss and do it over some bread.

Old 05-03-16, 12:19 PM
CliffordK

Liked 4,570 Times in 3,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I know a lot of people say the manufacturers introduced a gear a year to sell more product, and I think this is true ... but in general more gears offers a significant performance upgrade for racers. In fact, I'd say added gears could have been introduced more quickly, and racers in fact got less performance increase than they could have, because manufacturers wanted to dole out a gear a year---opposite of discs, where the performance increase is negligible or nonexistent at the pro level.
I think it has been more like a gear a decade. Start back in the 40's and 50's with 3-speed rear-ends. Then hit the 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, 9's, 10's, 11's.

If it had been a gear a year... we'd now have 50 speed rear-ends.

Some riders may want more, but they've been talking about 12 speed bikes for quite some time (not the old 12 speeds), but so far it hasn't been adopted by the big brands.

Originally Posted by Campag4life
The boycott will occur before or after a rider is badly hacked in a pile up.
I'm not sure there is that much organization and support. One team pulls out which leaves an opening for the next. Perhaps a team like Movistar will pull out of a big race. Will they be missed? I'm not seeing any grand tour wins even under former names.

Maybe they can get a former winner to denounce the race. Nibali/Froome? Again, other riders might be happy if the field was cleared.

It may well increase the safety of the events by decreasing the number of participants.

My guess is there will be a push for safety. And, then this will all blow over soon.
Originally Posted by Chandne
Damn, so no blowout sales on disc bikes after all!! Oh well...I'll sell my two rim-brake Roubaix (well, 1.5, since one is a 2000) and that will help me spring for a disc Ti Vamoots RSL maybe.
Perhaps blow-out sales on V1 disc bikes as the V2 bikes come out with integrated safety guards, and perhaps other safety advancements. Thru axles on the front? It might make some difference to the racers, but won't make any difference to the general consumers that don't anticipate being involved in a 50 bicycle pile-up.

Could bicycles be made safer?
Absolutely.
Will they get the pro riders to ride them?