Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

music as condioning/ training tool?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 05:11 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I'm betting one of my knee issues is too low rpm. I tend to slide down to 77 rpm, even though my natural cadence is 83.

But to get up to around ninety consistently, I need help.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-02-16, 06:28 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 494 Posts
The pacer function on your sports watch is probably safer than putting earphones in your ear and playing music.

Old 05-02-16, 06:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Club DJs and fitness coaches have long used tools to adjust the tempo of music to get people moving, without messing with the pitch. (Radio DJs used it to squeeze in more songs per hour.)

There are plenty of free and affordable apps. There's probably at least one that lets you adjust tempo on the fly without having to pre-record the speed-shifted music. Try 'em on your favorite riding music.

Personally I wouldn't use 'em while riding in traffic, and usually prefer the ambient sounds around me while I'm riding. But I'll admit I usually have favorite music playing in my head and find myself almost subconsciously matching my cadence to the rhythm of remembered music.
Old 05-02-16, 07:02 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can use one of the many free metronome apps on your phone, but play it over the speakers, not with earbuds. It works better at double beat (i.e. for 80 cadence you set it at 160 and beat down alternating your legs).

Scares pedestrians out of the way too...
Old 05-02-16, 07:48 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would be surprised if a 6 rpm difference would cause knee problems. But I strongly recommend cyclists ride with a computer that measures cadence. Cadence is even more important than speed.
Old 05-02-16, 08:18 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The pacer function on your sports watch is probably safer than putting earphones in your ear and playing music.
But not nearly as pleasurable.
I wouldn't recommend wearing earbuds in commuter /city traffic. However where I ride and considering my love of music I don't ride without them unless I'm riding with someone else or a club ride. I can listen to slow paced or faster tempo songs and still maintain the same pace or effort And although I don't use music to motivate me, I can see how fast paced music could make you have a faster cadence. I say use it if it, if you think it could help.
Old 05-02-16, 08:42 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Years back when I was suffering from similar issues and knew I needed to increase my cadence, I trained myself to shift down one gear whenever I realized my pedaling was starting to get too comfortable.
Old 05-02-16, 08:56 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got runner friends that swear by it, and refuse to have anything less than a certain BPM on their playlist.

Me personally? I listen to everything from nothing at all to 128BPM dance music to baseball to alt rock while biking, can't say I've noticed any measurable difference in how I bike while listening to any particular (or lack of) noise. My best ride this year was while listening to Leicester City play Manchester United, if that gives you any indication as to how important I find it.
Old 05-02-16, 08:57 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I think music helps a lot, I use it when I'm doing the stationary bike at the gym, which I do for at least an hour. I dont use it riding on a bike outdoors though, too dangerous, imo.
Old 05-02-16, 09:19 PM
jefnvk

I should also mention my music is always on a reasonable volume, with only the right earbud in, leaving my trafic ear free. Still gives you plenty of audible cues as to traffic around you, and still kills the monotony of 15MPH winds running past my ears.
Old 05-02-16, 11:00 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 164 Posts
I listen to music whenever I ride alone. I use a stereo to mono ear bud in my right ear. Leaves my left ear free for road noises.
Old 05-03-16, 12:24 AM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my bike was configured as a singlespeed, the music I was listening to was the greatest contributing factor of my average speed (on regular routes).

I ride with IEMs nearly all the time. They are a non-factor in terms of safety. Since I don't listen to music at excessive volumes, I still hear traffic sound, such as vehicles approaching from the rear, assuming traffic is light enough to distinguish a single approaching vehicle. Wind noise drowns out far more traffic sound than my IEMs block. I've never been one to rely on my ears to do the jobs better suited for my eyes.

Of course, I ride in the city, so I pretty much assume there's always a vehicle approaching from behind.

If you use earbuds instead of IEMs, they'll block out zero external noise, due to their pass through design. But the frequency response sucks, relatively speaking.
Old 05-03-16, 03:38 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I need music on a trainer but have never or felt the need tried outdoors. Either way I don't think it's going to help with cadence. Just try riding between 90-100RPM for a while and you'll get used to it. You shouldn't need music for motivation to pedal at a particular speed.
Old 05-03-16, 08:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I should also mention my music is always on a reasonable volume...
But only while collating, and only from 9-11.

No idea whether that's A.M., MPH, or the mile marker.

Attached Images
Old 05-03-16, 08:58 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 619 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
I'm betting one of my knee issues is too low rpm. I tend to slide down to 77 rpm, even though my natural cadence is 83.

But to get up to around ninety consistently, I need help.

Has anyone tried this?
Downshift

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-03-16, 09:03 AM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I listen to music whenever I ride alone. I use a stereo to mono ear bud in my right ear. Leaves my left ear free for road noises.
I do the same thing. I am always baffled by these earphone arguments. There is a way to safely listen to music while still being aware of road noise.

Regarding the OP's question, yes I have playlists on my phone that have beats that more or less match the cadence I am aiming for. They are especially helpful on days I am tired.
Old 05-03-16, 09:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Playlists? Heck, I still have a shoebox full of mixtapes.
Old 05-03-16, 10:25 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Ajkollme
I do the same thing. I am always baffled by these earphone arguments. There is a way to safely listen to music while still being aware of road noise
To be fair, a large number of the people listening to music I see on the MUP trails do not listen in a manner that allows ease of hearing traffic. Plenty of runners and bikers oblivious to my bell and yelling when I come up behind them at a faster pace. It is another of those situations where you can easily pick out the ones doing it wrong, but rarely notice the ones doing it right.
Old 05-03-16, 11:57 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only consolation is that if one is pedaling at 100 RPM cadence, I won't be overtaking him/her to have to face problems!

More seriously, I've been overtaken a couple of times by fast roadies carrying a veritable boombox (small in size to be on the handlebar but with that deep throated boom boom). They do raise the volume as they approach and lower it after they pass!
Old 05-03-16, 04:19 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I listen to music when I'm on the trainer. It's helping me increase my cadence, and keeping me from going mad on the trainer. This site does songs by BPM/RPM.

GH
Old 05-05-16, 04:14 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
More seriously, I've been overtaken a couple of times by fast roadies carrying a veritable boombox (small in size to be on the handlebar but with that deep throated boom boom). They do raise the volume as they approach and lower it after they pass!
That could be my answer to being heard on the road.

I used to use music, and it did make a 1mph or more difference (especially up beat disco, and "Chasing Cars" and other stuff by Snow Patrol), but it does reduce safety, and it became illegal to wear headphones here in Japan. The beatbox really could be the answer!
Old 05-05-16, 05:35 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
As I've stated before,where I ride it is absolutely safe to wear ear buds. I wouldn't wear them in heavy traffic, mup, or in a group ride. Where I ride , if I hear or don't hear traffic behind me it will not make one bit of difference if I get hit from behind. I cannot and will not turn to look at every single car the comes up behind me and if I did, it would make cycling so unenjoyable. I ride to the right as close and safely as I can, at all times.
When riding on our mup, we ride as a family, so no training speeds and I'm usually pulling a baby trailer. No one ever trains on there. Its runners walkers,strollers and occasional bike riders (not cyclist). And when I'm on the mup with family I plug my music in to a cylinder amplifier that fits in the water bottle cage. I'm a music lover before I'm anything else. And most importantly I only listen to good music.
And as to OP question, it would probably help, but me personally I can ride a time trial listening to the slowest tempo song ever recorded and still have a high cadence, ymmv.

Last edited by texaspandj; 05-05-16 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 10:18 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
As I've stated before,where I ride it is absolutely safe to wear ear buds. I wouldn't wear them in heavy traffic, mup, or in a group ride. Where I ride , if I hear or don't hear traffic behind me it will not make one bit of difference if I get hit from behind. I cannot and will not turn to look at every single car the comes up behind me and if I did, it would make cycling so unenjoyable. I ride to the right as close and safely as I can, at all times.
When riding on our mup, we ride as a family, so no training speeds and I'm usually pulling a baby trailer. No one ever trains on there. Its runners walkers,strollers and occasional bike riders (not cyclist). And when I'm on the mup with family I plug my music in to a cylinder amplifier that fits in the water bottle cage. I'm a music lover before I'm anything else. And most importantly I only listen to good music.
And as to OP question, it would probably help, but me personally I can ride a time trial listening to the slowest tempo song ever recorded and still have a high cadence, ymmv.
4'33" by John Cage.