Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding in the Rain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 11:20 AM
bikernew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/wat...160503171344:s

For a somewhat vast selection of raingear brands and items (some discontinued), complete with user reviews, check : Trailspace: Outdoor Gear Reviews
Awesome... I'll check them out. THANKS
Old 05-03-16, 11:25 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have a simple formula: Damp is tolerable if it's warm, Windy is tolerable if it's mild, Cold is tolerable if it's not damp or windy.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-03-16, 11:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Riding in the rain is a really broad question. A steady rain in the 40°'s or colder, I am not going out for a long ride, recreation or training, on a regular bike. Like someone said earlier, do it tomorrow or the next day.

Commuting to work, that same cold rain never stops me. The difference is that I know that I can deal with it for half an hour, all weather conditions that I've seen in this state. But longer than that could be threatening, and it won't be any fun.

After about 70° a ceaseless rain might or might not be unpleasant and much warmer the rain is sometimes even welcome.
Old 05-03-16, 12:03 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride. Year round. In any weather. As I keep telling people - the thing that's worse than riding in this mess, is NOT riding in this mess.

I actually ENJOY riding in rain - as long as I am dressed for it. I shold note, though, that I am not primarilly a recreational rider - I commute and run errands, and if the ride is recreational, it is usually at kid speed - and I don't make the kids ride in rain.

The thing I find about rain riding is that you need a balance between breath-able and water repellant. Cheap waterproof raingear does not breathe, and that defeats the goal of keeping dry since one ends up stewing in one's own persiration - wet is wet. Raincapes are great in warmish weather - though you have to accept that you will not remain perfectly dry, but "dry enough", which is good enough. I sometimes combine rain trousers with the cape, but most often I just ride in shorts and accept that my legs will get a bit wet - this really depends on temperature and wind. One can spend a bundle on good gore-tex high tech gear, but, while it does breate, it does not breate so freely as one might wish. My favourite find in this arena has been the water repellant hoodie - they breate nearly like a cotton hoodie, but I have riden quite long distances in the rain and remained dry and warm, without excess perspiration - particularly with a layer (or 2) of wool underneath (or some polyester tech fabric when temps rise).

If I am riding in rain and have decided to try to stay completely dry (say when temps are closer to freezing) I ride with rain-proof trousers and use high top old-man overshoes and platform pedals.

Good gloves are essential - I either use water-proofed leather mittens with wool gloves inside, or thin work gloves which I found at the local dollar store, which turned out, unexpectedly, to be mostly waterproof (and high viz - high viz gloves = bicycle turn signals). I also carry extra gloves on wet days. Wet, cold hands WILL make me misreable, no matter how comfortable the rest of me is.

And - a rain cover for my helmet. Many of you may not ride with a helmet, but I do, and the combination of helmet with rain cover greatly improves comfort in wet and cold.

MUDGUARDS!!!

HOWEVER - with all that said, I do not insist that all should enjoy riding in all sorts of weather, as I do, and I won't think the less of you if you don't, and choose not to. I might give you hard time for it, but I won't think less of you.

I also should admit, that I do derrive some sense of accomplishment from pushing through to live my life by bike in bad weather. Accomplishment and smug self satisfaction. Not sure what that says about me ...

Last edited by auldgeunquers; 05-03-16 at 12:05 PM. Reason: added a bit
Old 05-03-16, 12:05 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Can't say that I love riding in the rain, but here in my part of the UK not riding in the rain would rule out many of my rides.

Summer riding in the rain can be very pleasant, but I draw the line at winter riding when it's cold and/or windy.

I just bought a new lightweight waterproof cycling top yesterday in readiness for summer.

P.S. Hardy commuters would scoff at the problems of riding in the rain.
Old 05-03-16, 12:28 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by auldgeunquers
I ride. Year round. In any weather. As I keep telling people - the thing that's worse than riding in this mess, is NOT riding in this mess.

I actually ENJOY riding in rain - as long as I am dressed for it. I shold note, though, that I am not primarilly a recreational rider - I commute and run errands, and if the ride is recreational, it is usually at kid speed - and I don't make the kids ride in rain.

The thing I find about rain riding is that you need a balance between breath-able and water repellant. Cheap waterproof raingear does not breathe, and that defeats the goal of keeping dry since one ends up stewing in one's own persiration - wet is wet. Raincapes are great in warmish weather - though you have to accept that you will not remain perfectly dry, but "dry enough", which is good enough. I sometimes combine rain trousers with the cape, but most often I just ride in shorts and accept that my legs will get a bit wet - this really depends on temperature and wind. One can spend a bundle on good gore-tex high tech gear, but, while it does breate, it does not breate so freely as one might wish. My favourite find in this arena has been the water repellant hoodie - they breate nearly like a cotton hoodie, but I have riden quite long distances in the rain and remained dry and warm, without excess perspiration - particularly with a layer (or 2) of wool underneath (or some polyester tech fabric when temps rise).

If I am riding in rain and have decided to try to stay completely dry (say when temps are closer to freezing) I ride with rain-proof trousers and use high top old-man overshoes and platform pedals.

Good gloves are essential - I either use water-proofed leather mittens with wool gloves inside, or thin work gloves which I found at the local dollar store, which turned out, unexpectedly, to be mostly waterproof (and high viz - high viz gloves = bicycle turn signals). I also carry extra gloves on wet days. Wet, cold hands WILL make me misreable, no matter how comfortable the rest of me is.

And - a rain cover for my helmet. Many of you may not ride with a helmet, but I do, and the combination of helmet with rain cover greatly improves comfort in wet and cold.

MUDGUARDS!!!

HOWEVER - with all that said, I do not insist that all should enjoy riding in all sorts of weather, as I do, and I won't think the less of you if you don't, and choose not to. I might give you hard time for it, but I won't think less of you.

I also should admit, that I do derrive some sense of accomplishment from pushing through to live my life by bike in bad weather. Accomplishment and smug self satisfaction. Not sure what that says about me ...
Well said!!

I will add, 42F and rain is easily the worst conditions to ride in... without the correct gear. 40F and rain is so much colder than sub-zero temps (I ride temps down to -20F). And as auldgeunquers said, you can happily ride in the cold rain ... with the correct gear.

edit - I'm too young to talk about the age issue, I'm only 47
Old 05-03-16, 12:32 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
edit - I'm too young to talk about the age issue, I'm only 47
We have an impostor! A spy!

Old 05-03-16, 12:33 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I have every intention of joining your ranks in 3 years! Honest!
Old 05-03-16, 12:44 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I didn't even start riding until older than him. I vote we let him into the club though, if he proves that he eats enough pie.
Old 05-04-16, 03:41 AM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Can't say that I love riding in the rain, but here in my part of the UK not riding in the rain would rule out many of my rides.

Summer riding in the rain can be very pleasant, but I draw the line at winter riding when it's cold and/or windy.

I just bought a new lightweight waterproof cycling top yesterday in readiness for summer.

P.S. Hardy commuters would scoff at the problems of riding in the rain.
I, a hardy commuter, do scoff in your general direction. Scof scoff scofff.

Respect though, for your ability to ride clockwise around roundabouts. That takes nerve!
Old 05-04-16, 05:02 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Which, in a roundabout way, brings up a question I've had for years. I've seen a bunch of detailed training plans. How do people deal with, for instance, riding 57 minutes in Zone 3 when it's cold, wet, and windy?
I do this in one of two ways. Either I dress for it and make sure I've eaten well enough to supply the fuel needed to both complete the workout and keep me warm, or I set the bike up on a trainer and pop in an old Clint Eastwood spaghetti Western and do it indoors.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-04-16, 06:13 AM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I commute 22 miles each day in the MA. Its cold wet and miserable at times (the right clothes make all the difference) and the drivers get real angry when it rains here for some reason. At 58 if I deride its going to be too cold and wet, road drainage is terrible on my commute, then I drive. I enjoy the challenge of riding int he rain makes me appreciate the good days. Now I imagine if your from the NW then you scoff a the rain as its a way of life many days.

Since I took up biking again 3 years ago I have morphed into the mindset If I want to do a certain ride in certain conditions I do it, if not I don't.
Old 05-04-16, 11:00 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by auldgeunquers
I, a hardy commuter, do scoff in your general direction. Scof scoff scofff.

Respect though, for your ability to ride clockwise around roundabouts. That takes nerve!

I must confess that there's one roundabout at the bottom of a steep hill I regularly ride that I often take anti-clockwise to keep my speed. In my own defence, feeble as it is, I would say that, because I am approaching it from height, I can see all the traffic for 100 yards and only do it when there are no cars visible.
Old 05-04-16, 02:56 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
I'm 61 and did 41 miles in the rain Sunday at 46F. If you're dressed for it, and I was, it's no big deal. I think the gear is pretty important, as well, since road debris can stick to tires and get ground in easily resulting in flats. I rode an old Trek MTB and had no issues. Keep riding, but get the right gear!
Old 05-04-16, 05:40 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Good timing on this post! Thanks for all the good advice. I'm heading into a ride (well, it's timed so kind of a race) with a 70% chance of rain and a high temp of 48 Deg. predicted at 5,000 ft. of elevation but we're going to 8,400 ft. so it will likely be colder there (at the finish line).

Then we have to descend back into Redlands, about 40 miles and to about 1,000 ft. of elevation. Climbing I generate some good heat. Descending, not so much . . . not much at all. Should be mid 40's at the start in Redlands (5:30 AM) get a bit warmer through Beaumont and up Oak Glenn (steep climb that one).

May be cold on the Oak Glenn descent but should be okay (mid 50's) climbing up Damnation Alley to Forest Falls, then the temps should start dropping again and probably rain falling by Angelus Oaks. From there it's only 20 miles and 3,400 ft. of climbing to the finish line but I expect ever falling temps as I climb. Could be snow at the summit.

Hopefully I'll make it by the cut-off time (3:30 PM) but should have some epic (if not tragic) stories to tell after it's all over.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-04-16, 05:48 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 494 Posts
@ Ric: I'd bring an extra shirt to put on before you start your final descent.

Old 05-04-16, 05:52 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by dmanthree
I'm 61 and did 41 miles in the rain Sunday at 46F. If you're dressed for it, and I was, it's no big deal. I think the gear is pretty important, as well, since road debris can stick to tires and get ground in easily resulting in flats. I rode an old Trek MTB and had no issues. Keep riding, but get the right gear!
I use my atb for that kind of ride, too. the knobby tires kicks up the wet, sand and dirt. Does your TREK have fenders?

Old 05-04-16, 05:54 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I must confess that there's one roundabout at the bottom of a steep hill I regularly ride that I often take anti-clockwise to keep my speed. In my own defence, feeble as it is, I would say that, because I am approaching it from height, I can see all the traffic for 100 yards and only do it when there are no cars visible.
I like being naughty on my bike sometimes, too. As long as there is no one else around, why not immitate the Wild Man of Borneo once in a while?

Old 05-04-16, 05:59 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by revchuck
I do this in one of two ways. Either I dress for it and make sure I've eaten well enough to supply the fuel needed to both complete the workout and keep me warm, or I set the bike up on a trainer and pop in an old Clint Eastwood spaghetti Western and do it indoors.
"You just don't seem like a nun!"

Old 05-04-16, 06:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 1,416 Posts
In PNW the reality is that there are two kinds of cyclists: the weak and the wet. I have ridden 70 miles in heavy rain and a steady 36° and been OK but not happy. One just has to know how to do it. After turning 70, I initiated a new policy of not riding in heavy rain below 40°. If you want to know how it's done I can tell you, but that's beyond the subject of the OP.
Old 05-04-16, 07:38 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Last time that I rode in the rain, I crashed against a K-rail and fractured the bone of my right pinky finger. The bone broke in several places and required surgery.

I love riding in the rain and this little ncident will not deter me from doing it again.

I will just slow down a bit.

BTW, I just turned 60!

Fun times.
Old 05-05-16, 05:31 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I use my atb for that kind of ride, too. the knobby tires kicks up the wet, sand and dirt. Does your TREK have fenders?
Yes, I had long fenders front and rear. They weigh very little and are worth their weight in gold on days like that. Also, I had "street" tires on the bike, some Continentals with very little, if any tread. Traction was never a problem, either. Overall, it's a perfect bike for that ride. I still ride it in the rain occasionally, like this week where there's very little break from the rain.
Old 05-05-16, 09:16 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
A couple people mentioned wool, and I'll STRONGLY agree. Especially for socks and gloves, your extremities get cold fast, and need help. I learned this from commercial fishing in Alaska, and yes, wool keeps you warm, even if it's soaking wet. It works for sheep. For wool sweaters, I like them to zip up the full length of the front, like a jacket, for good ventilation. And a light windbreaker, to break the wind, as needed.
Old 05-05-16, 09:32 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Best investment was a Cyclists Rain Cape .. well tested design developed in England over the past 100 years..

Arms on the bars supports the front of the cape, & keeps rain off your legs & hands , but its open like an umbrella for ventilation.

Bike does Need Mudguards.

Yep, I used a Bellweather cape back in the day. Commuting to school, work, touring. Best rain item ever. I recall being in a driving rain between Vancouver BC and Harrison Hot Springs. Feet soaking wet (wool socks!) and me wearing a t shirt and cycling shorts under the cape. I was dry and warm despite high 40's temps. Like having a microclimate.

in the late 70's I commuted Capital Hill to U-District in Seattle. Paint stripes, steel bridge decks, metal sewer/storm lids/grates are...slick! Be careful.

Last edited by Jseis; 05-05-16 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 09:37 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Good timing on this post! Thanks for all the good advice. I'm heading into a ride (well, it's timed so kind of a race) with a 70% chance of rain and a high temp of 48 Deg. predicted at 5,000 ft. of elevation but we're going to 8,400 ft. so it will likely be colder there (at the finish line).

Then we have to descend back into Redlands, about 40 miles and to about 1,000 ft. of elevation. Climbing I generate some good heat. Descending, not so much . . . not much at all. Should be mid 40's at the start in Redlands (5:30 AM) get a bit warmer through Beaumont and up Oak Glenn (steep climb that one).

May be cold on the Oak Glenn descent but should be okay (mid 50's) climbing up Damnation Alley to Forest Falls, then the temps should start dropping again and probably rain falling by Angelus Oaks. From there it's only 20 miles and 3,400 ft. of climbing to the finish line but I expect ever falling temps as I climb. Could be snow at the summit.

Hopefully I'll make it by the cut-off time (3:30 PM) but should have some epic (if not tragic) stories to tell after it's all over.

Rick / OCRR
Rick's situation is one of the few that might find me riding in the rain by choice. You registered for a big ride, paid your money, and now, rain is in the forecast. The other is if I'm on a tour. Rain or no, you go.

I checked the weather this AM, and you might be in luck, Rick. It looks to be dry until 7PM Saturday or so.

BTW, the reasons I avoid riding in the rain aren't just the discomfort or the extra risk of slippery surfaces and lower visibility. It's all that and the fact that the bike will be a mess at the end of the day. Last time I rode in an all day rainfest, cleaning the bike up and getting all of the water out of it was a real PITA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.