Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for a new clyde

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 04:17 PM
gargigulos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my weight has gone up in the past couple of years and I can't ride my old bike. The rims seem to be bent and rub easily against my breaks no matter how many times I've adjusted them.

So I guess I need a new bike. Or rims. I'm not sure, I'm trying to do some research and I've found my way here.

I'm 6ft3 close to 300 lbs and want something that can hold up to me around the neighborhood (to start). I'm overwhelmed by the technical jargon I'm seeing about CCs and different things and am definitely not a mechanically inclined.

Can you guys suggest a cheap solution to get started? Or a guide to get a baseline if technical knowledge to figure out what is going on (again I'm terrible in general on mechanical things).
Old 05-24-16, 05:13 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike do you have? Is it a bike shop bike? Or more of a Walmart/Target bike? If it is the former, you may just need new wheels, as they are normally the weak point for Clydes. If it is the latter, you probably want a new bike.

GH
Old 05-24-16, 05:31 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say start by a discussion with a Local Bike Shop (LBS). Maybe your current bike is retrievable, maybe it's not.
Old 05-24-16, 05:41 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Run it by the local shop and see what they have to say, an estimate costs nothing and you may get good news. I always tell people to get a quality bike to start with as it makes a huge difference. Good luck.
Old 05-24-16, 06:14 PM
cookingjnj

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I would agree with Cola and Chief. I was riding stock wheels on my Specialized Allez Elite when I broke a spoke. I took it to my LBS to have the spoke fixed. They indicated the spoke could be fixed, but I would probably see a difference in my riding if I changed my wheels. After discussion, I settled on Bontrager RL wheels. Not the best or most expensiv wheels out there, but boy did I notice a difference when riding. Especially when climbing hills. I am 5"11" and 250, and these wheels made a difference. Really wish I would have made the change a few years earlier. Long of the short, talk with your LBS, a change in wheels could be your magic, and a whole lot less than a new bike. Although, one can never have enough "new bikes". N+1.
Old 05-24-16, 06:23 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started on a Trek 7200 hybrid. But it was the bike I had :-).

As others have suggested talk to your local bike shops and see what they have, some sell used bikes that they have taken in trade.

Bill
Old 05-25-16, 07:21 PM
gargigulos

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's the wheels. I'm hesitant to talk to my local bike salesman and walk out a few hundred dollars poorer. I really think it's the rims are bent. What wheels can I get from amazon or some place to try?
Old 05-26-16, 06:54 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buying wheels will mean you have to define what you have. A good lbs might be able to "true" the wheels you have, might just need some spokes tightened and some loosened. They cannot force you to spend money :-)
Old 05-26-16, 06:59 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 363 Posts
There's lots of different wheels for different bikes.

Post a couple of photos of your bike. A side view from the chain side, and a closer photo of the rear hub and rear cogs.
Old 05-26-16, 08:07 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gargigulos
I think it's the wheels. I'm hesitant to talk to my local bike salesman and walk out a few hundred dollars poorer. I really think it's the rims are bent. What wheels can I get from amazon or some place to try?
If you don't want to spend a couple of hundred dollars, your LBS is your best bet. They may be able to true and tension your existing wheels and get you back on the road for much less. Buying wheels off Amazon will either (a) cost you a few hundred dollars or (b) get you crap wheels that will end up failing under you. Unfortunately you have to accept that at 300lbs (I've been there I know) you need good strong wheels, and that may mean spending money I'm afraid.
Old 05-26-16, 10:26 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Bite the bullet and get yourself to your local bike shop. At 300 lbs, you need decent wheels. And be prepared to spend a few bucks. Go cheap on the Internet and you may, or may not get something that holds up.
Old 05-26-16, 10:51 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Bite the bullet and get yourself to your local bike shop. At 300 lbs, you need decent wheels. And be prepared to spend a few bucks. Go cheap on the Internet and you may, or may not get something that holds up.
My first 2000 miles starting at 280 lbs were on a Trek 7200, never had to touch a spoke on a wheel, the only part I "needed" to change was the chain, and tires (originals were dry rotted)...and I put a flatter cassette on it than original. It has 32 spoke wheels. It was a bike I HAD...the best kind really :-). But it would not pass the "smell test" of many stated "must haves" for a beginning Clyde Bike.

Bill
Old 05-26-16, 11:00 AM
bbandu

Bikes: 2017 Niner Jet 9, 2014 KHS Flight 500

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So my weight has gone up in the past couple of years and I can't ride my old bike. The rims seem to be bent and rub easily against my breaks no matter how many times I've adjusted them.

So I guess I need a new bike. Or rims. I'm not sure, I'm trying to do some research and I've found my way here.

I'm 6ft3 close to 300 lbs and want something that can hold up to me around the neighborhood (to start). I'm overwhelmed by the technical jargon I'm seeing about CCs and different things and am definitely not a mechanically inclined.

Can you guys suggest a cheap solution to get started? Or a guide to get a baseline if technical knowledge to figure out what is going on (again I'm terrible in general on mechanical things).

Not to very long ago I was almost 350lbs with not bike. The stock wheels that came on my mtb lasted for several months but I need to replace them because I started breaking spokes. I went to my LBS had had a set built for me. I have not had an issue with spoke breaking since.
Old 05-26-16, 11:19 AM
DarthMonkey

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale ST Custom Road Bike, 1999 Trek 830 AL Mountain bike, and a 2015 Soma Double Cross Disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until we know what size wheels there isn't much help we can give. Knowing the model of bike would be helpful in letting you know if it is worth the trouble, and would also likely allow us to figure out the wheel size. Knowing your location might mean someone could recommend a reputable Local Bike Shop to deal with.
Old 05-27-16, 06:09 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
My first 2000 miles starting at 280 lbs were on a Trek 7200, never had to touch a spoke on a wheel, the only part I "needed" to change was the chain, and tires (originals were dry rotted)...and I put a flatter cassette on it than original. It has 32 spoke wheels. It was a bike I HAD...the best kind really :-). But it would not pass the "smell test" of many stated "must haves" for a beginning Clyde Bike.

Bill
I'm with you Bill. I started cycling again last year at close to 330 on an hybrid with 32 spoke wheels and not a problem. I added a road/adventure/gravel bike with 24 spoke wheels and still no problems. I just don't go looking for trouble.
Old 05-27-16, 01:32 PM
lindyfd

Bikes: Montague Paratrooper Pro, Yuba Mundo, Worksman, Kona Jake, Breezer downtown EX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you get wheels from the internet, you should still take them to the LBS to get trued and checked out, at which point it would make more sense to just get them at the shop.
Besides, it's poor form to take internet purchases to your local shop to be worked on.
Old 05-27-16, 03:16 PM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Willbird

Bill
You might take your chances with stock wheel, but when they fail as they have for op, then he needs to get some new wheels.
Old 05-27-16, 07:30 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
You might take your chances with stock wheel, but when they fail as they have for op, then he needs to get some new wheels.
I would take into consideration the failure mode, if is just spokes breaking might be that a relace three cross with double butted spokes might do him fine. If I had issues with my trek 32 spoke wheels there is a smaller LBS about 8 miles away who could have done that for me in a few days. That is if the rims were not trashed due to riding with broken spokes . Shops from 50 miles away send folks over to this guy because they no longer build wheels.
Old 05-27-16, 09:18 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I run 32 spoke wheels on my road bike, and I am 360 pounds. Earlier this year I started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. After talking to the bike shop we re-laced the wheel (i.e. trued the wheel and replaced all of the spokes) total financial burden for this was a whopping $50.00 which was 25% less than the wheel I bought to use on the trainer.

Talk to your bike shop ASAP.
Old 05-28-16, 04:40 AM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live in or near a decent size town you may have a bicycle co-op in town. Look them up and go there for help. They are not there to sell you something. They re there to help you work on/with what you have. I'm fairly certain what you are describing can be adjusted/aligned with the proper knowledge. Unless the rims took a major hit into a curb or similar previously. The co-op will usually have people that can either show you how to make the repairs or do them for you. Our local co-op actually has a wheel builder from Velocity (which is local!) that comes in and donates him time to help people with repairs. He has actually helped me my last time in the co-op and mentioned that if/when I need a new pair of rims to let him know!
Old 05-28-16, 10:28 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Cheese Head
If you live in or near a decent size town you may have a bicycle co-op in town. Look them up and go there for help. They are not there to sell you something. They re there to help you work on/with what you have. I'm fairly certain what you are describing can be adjusted/aligned with the proper knowledge. Unless the rims took a major hit into a curb or similar previously. The co-op will usually have people that can either show you how to make the repairs or do them for you. Our local co-op actually has a wheel builder from Velocity (which is local!) that comes in and donates him time to help people with repairs. He has actually helped me my last time in the co-op and mentioned that if/when I need a new pair of rims to let him know!
Now that is a great resource.