Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

rebuilding an old mt bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-16, 09:48 AM
cs2eye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

(If this is posted on the wrong forum, can someone direct me to the right place?)

I have an old Hoo-Koo-e-Koo from my college days, no suspension. I want to take the frame and re-build it into a commuter bike, w/slicks. Though I work on my bikes I need some direction how to select replacement parts. Can someone suggest an adequate component set? I need to immediately replace the gears/chain/derailleurs/shifters.... Eventually the headset, bottom bracket and cantilever breaks. This question is really only to find the first immediate needs

Alternatively, can i just replace the chain rings, gears and chain? and what would i have to know to only do that?

thanks for the help!

cs
Old 05-29-16, 09:59 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In addition to the information that you'll get at this forum, you can also get some good info and specs at Sheldon Brown's website.

Last edited by tjkoko; 05-29-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-30-16, 09:14 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I've got an old HKEK myself in commuter trim. A lot depends on just which year's model you have, that name's been around for decades. If it's an oldie like mine I would replace with things that are relatively similar to the original.

Do look into servicing the bottom bracket, hubs and headset before just shopping a replacement.

You can definitely replace just the worn components. Cassettes and freewheels are pretty easy as are the chainrings.
Old 05-30-16, 09:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5915 Post(s)
Liked 3,568 Times in 2,121 Posts
vintage bikes make great commuters and parts are readily available. I commute on a 1988 specialized stumpjumper comp.

Why do you need to replace the derailleurs? I'd focus on the consumables first. I'd overhaul the hubs, BB, and headset; I'd replace all cables and housing, the chain, and cassette; and I'd replace the brake shoes. I'd try to replace as few parts as possible though to keep the costs down.
Old 05-31-16, 11:40 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 450 Posts
Many of us do just what you're describing, and your bike is an excellent platform to build any way you want.

Bottom bracket, headset, hubs should be overhauled. Replace the chain and cassette, and chainrings if you can. Finding replacement chainrings may not be as easy you you think, depending on what's on there, but a good bike shop can help. I usually replace shifters along with the drivetrain also, and of course brake pads and all cables and housings.

If and when you need to replace derailluers, you need to find compatible hardware (5/6/7 speed, presumably). I run all 7-speed drivetrains (technically they're 21-speed mountain triples). eBay is your best bet for period-correct stuff, although the current Shimano Acera line (7-speed) should work also and is available from Amazon.

As far as tires (slicks), I run Continental Travel Contacts but you'll get a lot of good suggestions.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 05-31-16 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 07:06 AM
cs2eye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agreed, thanks for the input. at first i thought the deraileurs would go hand in hand with shifting operation if i replaced gear and chains, though that does not make sense now that you mention it.
Old 06-02-16, 07:07 AM
cs2eye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
vintage bikes make great commuters and parts are readily available. I commute on a 1988 specialized stumpjumper comp.

Why do you need to replace the derailleurs? I'd focus on the consumables first. I'd overhaul the hubs, BB, and headset; I'd replace all cables and housing, the chain, and cassette; and I'd replace the brake shoes. I'd try to replace as few parts as possible though to keep the costs down.

agreed, thanks for the input. at first i thought the deraileurs would go hand in hand with shifting operation if i replaced gear and chains, though that does not make sense now that you mention it.
Old 06-02-16, 09:57 AM
tk1971

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd replace index shifters with friction shifters. I've used these before and they work better than trying to resurrect old gummed up indexed shifters.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10-...ction+shifters