Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Today's experiences with the mechanically incompetent

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Today's experiences with the mechanically incompetent

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 06:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
FWIW, does anybody make Campy-compatible stuff today? I seem to remember that Zeus used to, and I heard that somebody was trying to resurrect the Zeus name.
Orbea bought the rights to use the Zeus name, but all the old Zeus tooling is long gone.

Well, thanks for making me feel old. The shop I worked at in 1978-ish sold a lot of Zeus stuff. The owner billed it as the "poor man's Campagnolo". And I think they also had 144mm BCD rings. If you wanted something for climbing, you bought a Cyclotourist crankset.
The Zeus "Competition" crank used the same 50.4mm, 5-pin design as TA and many others. The chainrings used 120mm BCD:

The Zeus "Criterium" and "2000" cranks used the 120mm BCD for both rings. This allows a ring as small as 36T, but no other manufacturer adopted the 120mm BCD design, AFAIK.

Old 05-30-16, 07:06 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once upon a time one was required to repair and maintain one's own automobile and it was simple enough to do so. Nowadays they're so expensive to fix that they're thrown away and replaced with a new (or nearly new) one. So much for the acquisition of mechanical skills. Recently I purchased a Triumph TR6R 650 Tiger and at least I know British Standard and Whitworth, and thread chasing versus thread tapping, grasshoppers.
Old 05-30-16, 07:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkoko
Once upon a time one was required to repair and maintain one's own automobile and it was simple enough to do so. Nowadays they're so expensive to fix that they're thrown away and replaced with a new (or nearly new) one.
Yes that's true but "once upon a time" you changed oil every 1500 miles, changed plugs and points every 10,000 miles and a car with 60,000 miles was likely to have had it's engine completely overhauled and it's clutch replaced. That assumes you didn't live in an area where the body rusted out in 5 years so it never made 50,000 miles. Now you change oil every 5000 to 7500 miles, plugs last 100,000 miles and a car with 100,000 miles is just nicely broken in and a 10 year old car body is in great shape even in the salt-belt.

I assume your TR6 doesn't require oil changes at all since you just replace what leaks out.
Old 05-30-16, 07:44 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
...............I assume your TR6 doesn't require oil changes at all since you just replace what leaks out.
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Just JB Weld at the seams and the oil lasts forever!

Point well-taken!
Old 05-30-16, 09:20 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 350 Posts
Well, thanks for making me feel old. The shop I worked at in 1978-ish sold a lot of Zeus stuff. The owner billed it as the "poor man's Campagnolo". And I think they also had 144mm BCD rings. If you wanted something for climbing, you bought a Cyclotourist crankset.
1978. that was 38 years ago. 38 years ago in 1978 was before Pearl Harbor. You should feel old.

I liked that Zeus stuff, too. A couple of my friends had complete Zeus bikes, and in hindsight I should have bought one in 1974 instead of the Raleigh International.
Old 05-31-16, 06:51 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 421 Posts
Ditto, I should mount the thing, might help remind me to be more careful. At least I am in good company.