Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

momentum

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 08:58 AM
NyoGoat

Bikes: CAAD10 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
momentum

I don't know if this is accurate or not because my perception is very subjective: I've noticed that I tend to lose momentum a lot faster than other riders. I have minimal experience with other riders, I've done a few group rides and i've ran across a few random riders on the roads. I've done a few triathlons with other riders on aero bikes. On the steep climbs I feel like I pull ahead, on a downhill coast others seem to coast much faster. Coming off of a downhill onto a flat section I have to pedal to keep going while others can coast a bit longer.

Comparing against aero bikes it's obvious that they would go faster on the downhill. Recreational road bikes seem to do the same though.
Old 06-08-16, 08:59 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Tuck.
Old 06-08-16, 09:03 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your body position determines the majority of the aero affects of the bike/rider combination. Ride lower/wear more aero clothing.
Old 06-08-16, 09:05 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
you need ceramic bearings and brake fairings
Old 06-08-16, 09:06 AM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tires properly inflated?
Old 06-08-16, 09:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Heavier riders will have more momentum going downhill, normally a bigger factor than the extra wind resistance from their larger size. But good aerodynamics can compensate for that.
Old 06-08-16, 09:40 AM
PepeM

Compensate and much more. Seriously, get down low and you'll see a big difference.
Old 06-09-16, 12:00 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Heavier riders will have more momentum going downhill, normally a bigger factor than the extra wind resistance from their larger size. But good aerodynamics can compensate for that.
^This... Even at 130 pounds, I would often be coasting downhill as fast or faster than friends who were 50 pounds heavier. I'm pretty sure the main factor was lower frontal area since most of them have a much more upright bike fit than me.
Old 06-09-16, 12:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,408 Posts
Given two riders of equal ability, of course the heavier rider will have more momentum and coast faster, all other things being equal. That last is something you can work on. Faster wheels help a lot because you'll be going fast enough for them to make a difference. Low resistance tires help, too. I have a riding buddy I always used to whip on the descents, even though he was shorter and heavier than I. He finally couldn't stand it and went out and bought more aero wheels and the same tires I was using and I couldn't beat him anymore.

The other thing you can do is learn to pedal really fast in the drops. Learn how fast you can pedal before it stops helping you to go faster. At the bottom of the descent, watch your speedo. As soon as you slow to that speed, start pedaling like hell and keep downshifting and pedaling fast to keep your power up. If the other riders don't know what they're doing, you'll be blasting past them up the next roller. Plus your heart rate will already be up as you settle into the climb and your power should be higher. Just kill them.

How to get aero and have good control: position your chin ~2" off your stem. The 2" allows for bumps. Hands deep in the drops, a finger or two on the levers. Straighten your back. Level the pedals and put most of your weight in them, a little on the saddle, the rest on your hands. Squeeze the top tube between your knees, hard. Now try to touch your elbows together under your stomach. Of course you can't do that, but bring them way under you. If the road is or becomes bumpy, rise slightly out of the saddle and take it in your knees, keeping your chin low, letting your elbows move out. Sit back down when you can to conserve strength. Besides being fast, this position suppresses front wheel wobble.

You'll see riders with hands on the tops, elbows way dropped. That's fast too, but no faster and ignores safety. OK if you're getting paid to do it. I've done a lot of testing during group mountain descents in the past 20 years.
Old 06-09-16, 12:36 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat
I don't know if this is accurate or not because my perception is very subjective: I've noticed that I tend to lose momentum a lot faster than other riders. I have minimal experience with other riders, I've done a few group rides and i've ran across a few random riders on the roads. I've done a few triathlons with other riders on aero bikes. On the steep climbs I feel like I pull ahead, on a downhill coast others seem to coast much faster. Coming off of a downhill onto a flat section I have to pedal to keep going while others can coast a bit longer.

Comparing against aero bikes it's obvious that they would go faster on the downhill. Recreational road bikes seem to do the same though.
Have somebody toss you a bowling ball at top.
Old 06-09-16, 08:23 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it happens even when you're not going particularly fast:
Originally Posted by Wested
Tires properly inflated?
Old 06-09-16, 08:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Take the baseball cards out of the spokes.
Old 06-10-16, 07:44 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NyoGoat

I'm the fast coaster you are talking about.

It’s annoying to me when I’m in a group descent and have to stop pedaling and scrub my brakes so I don’t run over people.

Me plus my bike are about 205 pounds right now and I keep a pretty “aero” position.

I love pushing the pedals on fast descents when my buddies “tuck”, but if I descend mid pack, I’m stuck scrubbing speed.

Old 06-10-16, 07:58 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
I'm the fast coaster you are talking about.

It’s annoying to me when I’m in a group descent and have to stop pedaling and scrub my brakes so I don’t run over people.

Me plus my bike are about 205 pounds right now and I keep a pretty “aero” position.

I love pushing the pedals on fast descents when my buddies “tuck”, but if I descend mid pack, I’m stuck scrubbing speed.

Me too! There should be a law against using your brakes on a downhill coast unless there is danger, obstruction or traffic.
Old 06-10-16, 08:23 AM
PepeM

That's just how the draft works. Of course you'll have to brake if you're behind, unless the person all the way to the front is pedaling like crazy.

If you don't want to brake go lead the paceline then. I'm sure no one will mind you 'laying down the watts' while they rest behind you.
Old 06-10-16, 08:31 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Originally Posted by PepeM
That's just how the draft works. Of course you'll have to brake if you're behind, unless the person all the way to the front is pedaling like crazy.

If you don't want to brake go lead the paceline then. I'm sure no one will mind you 'laying down the watts' while they rest behind you.
It's not just the draft though.

If I'm two wide with a friend, I can coast past them while they pedal down soft grades, which is pretty funny.
Old 06-10-16, 08:33 AM
PepeM

Well, you were talking about a 'group descent.' On a side by side case then weight + aerodynamics dictate what happens of course. Not much can be done about the weight during a ride, but one can improve his aerodynamics easily, which is why I suggested to the OP to tuck to solve his momentum issue.
Old 06-10-16, 08:35 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Originally Posted by PepeM
Well, you were talking about a 'group descent.' On a side by side case then weight + aerodynamics dictate what happens of course. Not much can be done about the weight during a ride, but one can improve his aerodynamics easily, which is why I suggested to the OP to tuck to solve his momentum issue.
For sure.
Old 06-10-16, 08:37 AM
PepeM

It is actually impressive to see how much speed doing that 'Euro tuck' can gain you. Still haven't tried it myself.
Old 06-10-16, 08:38 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,486 Posts
The obvious thing already have been mentioned - weight and aero position. One not so obvious is clothing. A flapping jacket really slows you down. Even a loose jersey adds up on long, steep dos hills.
Old 06-10-16, 08:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,533 Posts
It works both ways. If you are on a "V" shaped descent/climb the weight will slow you much quicker going up. That momentum becomes an anchor as soon as you start up and the tiny climbers coast right on by. I find that out every year on this ride. I can make it up the big climb ok, but all of those short, steep "V or W" up and downs, and up and downs just suck it out of me.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2442798

For those in the Mid Atlantic, this is Storming Of Thunder Ridge. It is a great ride. Join us next year. We usually have a thread about it in the C & V forum.

The 7th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge - May 22, 2016 - Storming of Thunder Ridge Storming of Thunder Ridge - www.stormingofthunderridge.org

Last edited by seypat; 06-10-16 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-10-16, 08:54 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
It's not just the draft though.

If I'm two wide with a friend, I can coast past them while they pedal down soft grades, which is pretty funny.
Yup, same here.

Besides what's already been mentioned, the bike frame itself has something to do with it also, even if only a little bit, IMHO. I've ridden the same bike for the past five years, but on four different set of wheels, and same thing...faster coasting.
Old 06-10-16, 09:24 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Originally Posted by seypat
It works both ways. If you are on a "V" shaped descent/climb the weight will slow you much quicker going up. That momentum becomes an anchor as soon as you start up and the tiny climbers coast right on by. I find that out every year on this ride. I can make it up the big climb ok, but all of those short, steep "V or W" up and downs, and up and downs just suck it out of me.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2442798

For those in the Mid Atlantic, this is Storming Of Thunder Ridge. It is a great ride. Join us next year. We usually have a thread about it in the C & V forum.

The 7th Annual Storming of Thunder Ridge - May 22, 2016 - Storming of Thunder Ridge Storming of Thunder Ridge - www.stormingofthunderridge.org
I sometimes find the opposite to be true.

If I use my momentum to scream down a “V”, It carries me fairly far up the other side.

I often try to speed up the next hill only shifting when my legs beg me to.

On a long hard climb, my weight is an anchor for sure.

In “ups and downs” I’m not convinced it’s ever a disadvantage.
Old 06-10-16, 10:15 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Have somebody toss you a bowling ball at top.
Maybe a new sport..?
Old 06-10-16, 10:22 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
coasting is for wussies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.