Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Best hybrid bang for your buck

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 07:54 PM
Steelerfan14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I know Trek bikes really well, but not up to speed with other brands and their offerings. I would like to know opinions on what hybrid series offers the best bang for your buck in the $600-$800 price range. Will be mostly paved bike paths for family riding and for fitness if I'm not on my road bike. Don't need anything with front suspension so looking for bikes comparable to the Trek FX line. Thanks in advance for your input
Old 07-12-16, 08:53 PM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best bank for your buck is the one that feels best to you, one that you just enjoy riding and want to get out on the trail at every opportunity. So thats subjective, test ride them all in your price range and buy the one you like. I found shimano hydraulic disks, smooth shifting, dual chain rings, and light weight to offer most to riding enjoyment, but I don't think you'll find that in your price range. Life is full of compromises, just buy the one that feels right. They are nearly all the same +/- in that discounted price range.

I should offer this warning, however. Do not test ride one in a higher price range on a whim as you may never be satisfied with your compromise
Old 07-13-16, 05:00 AM
sea coil

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to look at the Jamis Coda line.
Old 07-13-16, 05:30 AM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think one of my lbs sells that line now so I'll take a look. I don't know much about them. Thanks

Originally Posted by sea coil
You might want to look at the Jamis Coda line.
Old 07-13-16, 05:34 AM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I could potentially spend more if I needed too but i just wasn't sure if when you start talking 1k-2k if your getting some that is more or less a road bike. I find hybrids handle a bit better at slow speeds with the kid riding beside me. Maybe I am wrong, again that's why I'm asking. If $800 isn't going to get a nice hybrid I'll definately step up my price range. I like the looks of the Giant fast road SLR1 but my local shop that sells giant doesn't stock them in the store for some dumb reason

Originally Posted by ColdCase
The best bank for your buck is the one that feels best to you, one that you just enjoy riding and want to get out on the trail at every opportunity. So thats subjective, test ride them all in your price range and buy the one you like. I found shimano hydraulic disks, smooth shifting, dual chain rings, and light weight to offer most to riding enjoyment, but I don't think you'll find that in your price range. Life is full of compromises, just buy the one that feels right. They are nearly all the same +/- in that discounted price range.

I should offer this warning, however. Do not test ride one in a higher price range on a whim as you may never be satisfied with your compromise
Old 07-13-16, 08:08 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
There are many hybrids in that price range that are nice. I had found when shopping for my hybrid that an increase in price only gets you a small amount of performance increase. Depending on how often you ride, you may find it better to stay in the price range that you want.

I do find that my hybrid is great to ride on when I'm with the kids.

If you have a Performance Bikes around, They have some great deals on GT bikes. Otherwise, the best suggestion is to visit the LBS and see what it is you would like.
Old 07-13-16, 11:05 AM
ColdCase

Bikes: Crosstrail Comp Disc

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I had found when shopping for my hybrid that an increase in price only gets you a small amount of performance increase. Depending on how often you ride, you may find it better to stay in the price range that you want.
Its not so much performance in terms of speed, its more to do with riding enjoyment in my case, but then I'm a technocrat. I found significant riding satisfaction difference between a $700 Trek/Specialized/Canodale/Giant bike and a $1100 Trek/Specialized/Canodale/Giant bike, but that may just be me. Being small frame and stature, and preferring to ride instead of tinkering, little things may make a bigger difference to me.

Bottom line is if one is looking to optimize the bang for the buck, one should try the bikes available as that is where the bang is. You can adapt to just about anything.
Old 07-13-16, 11:25 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
The Giant Escape and Fuji Absolute lines offer great value. Ride some of each and the bike will find you.
Old 07-13-16, 02:15 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think you will find that bikes within that price range are comparably equipped. The bike business is too competitive for it to be otherwise. Check out bikes at your lbs from major brands like Jamis, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale. And yes, it is important to test ride because each bike has it's own feel.
Old 07-13-16, 06:22 PM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My wife has a giant escape one and it seems like a nice bike. I'd love to try out a Giant fast road but none of my shops stock giant anymore. A 3rd and larger bike store opened in town and screwed things up. This new shop took Trek from one shop and Giant from the 2nd shop. This new shop stocks a ton of trek but does not have a single giant in the store, and I think that is total crap.

One shop that lost giant now sells Fuji and Jamis so I'll give that shop a visit and ride those two. I think the Giant fastroad slr 1 is $1100 if I remember correctly.
Old 07-14-16, 08:26 AM
klein7862

Bikes: '15 Raleigh GP '15 Cadent 1 '16 FX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bang for buck

Originally Posted by Steelerfan14
I could potentially spend more if I needed too but i just wasn't sure if when you start talking 1k-2k if your getting some that is more or less a road bike. I find hybrids handle a bit better at slow speeds with the kid riding beside me. Maybe I am wrong, again that's why I'm asking. If $800 isn't going to get a nice hybrid I'll definately step up my price range. I like the looks of the Giant fast road SLR1 but my local shop that sells giant doesn't stock them in the store for some dumb reason
You mentioned you may go up $100.00 How about a Bianchi hybrid?
Old 07-14-16, 11:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...e-855776860f8d

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...e-855776860f8d
Old 07-14-16, 02:39 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelerfan14
My wife has a giant escape one and it seems like a nice bike. I'd love to try out a Giant fast road but none of my shops stock giant anymore. A 3rd and larger bike store opened in town and screwed things up. This new shop took Trek from one shop and Giant from the 2nd shop. This new shop stocks a ton of trek but does not have a single giant in the store, and I think that is total crap.

One shop that lost giant now sells Fuji and Jamis so I'll give that shop a visit and ride those two. I think the Giant fastroad slr 1 is $1100 if I remember correctly.
I stretched the definition of lbs once and drove 90 miles one way to get the road bike of my dreams. You may want to look beyond wherever you live.
Old 07-14-16, 03:01 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know what the best bike would be for that price range, but I will tell you that I bought my Giant Escape 1 for $650 and have been very pleased with it. I use it as a "road bike". In like its responsiveness, rolling speed and good climbing gear ratios. I had the dealer swap out the original tires with 28mm tires. Good luck.
Old 07-14-16, 05:55 PM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I do like my wife's Escape 1. I really like the looks of the Fastroad but I'm trying to tell myself it's more bike than I need since I have my road bike. My lbs had a used trek fx 7.2 for $250 but I snoozed and I lost on it.

I do wish the same shop that doesn't keep giant in stock would keep cannondale in stock. They have like 2 cannondale road bikes but no hybrid. It's like Trek paid them not to carry anything else. I may have to expand my search some.

Tomorrow is my day off so I'm going to try out the Jamis and Fuji
Old 07-15-16, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
You good at Bike Mechanics ?

Used bikes are depreciated as they wear over the years .
Old 07-15-16, 06:07 PM
Steelerfan14

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Unfortunately no I'm not much of a bike mechanic