Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cape Cod Route Help

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cape Cod Route Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 05:50 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Cape Cod Route Help

I am riding to Provincetown on Friday August 19 with a 16 year old and am looking for a route from Bourne to Truro. All I can find online is the PMC route which adds a lot of extra miles.
This is a one day ride and I'm looking for any shortcuts from those who are familiar with the Cape.
Old 08-17-16, 06:57 AM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live on the cape and have ridden this route. This is probably the best shortest route there is.

You can save a little by getting off the canal bike path just past the Sagamore Bridge then jumping on 6A, then a right on RT130 then follow 130 up the hill till the left on the service road then rejoin the route.

Taking the Service Road in Sandwich is much safer than riding the shorter route of 6A, although both roads are the same width there is less traffic on the service road. Now that being said they are doing gas pipe line installation along the Service Road and although they are only working on a small stretch at a time the road condition is bumpier than normal.

The rest of the bumps by Wellfleet although they look like they add miles are really necessary especially for the safety on Friday afternoon and the arriving weekend traffic. A good shorter alternative here is to join the Cape Rail Trail by Nickerson State Park and continue along that which will save some miles.
Old 08-17-16, 02:03 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Thanks for that advice. We have moved up our ride to Thursday morning and will be using your directions. We were able to get accommodations for the night in Truro. The reason for the extra day is to get to P-Town for the Carnival Parade on Thursday afternoon.
Old 08-17-16, 03:07 PM
Papa Tom

Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>"Take your grandchildren bike riding because they will never remember you watching them play video games"<<<

I love this quote.
Old 08-18-16, 07:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,680 Times in 2,381 Posts
I might be late to this thread cuz you are riding as I write, but if your Truro lodging has wi-fi and you check this tonight, this might be interesting. I know you said you wanted to cut miles but maybe after sleeping overnight with a short ride the next morning you might be interested in a scenic detour. we've camped so many years in N Truo and brought our kids up on bikes, I couldn't help but suggest the following.

from RT6 take a right at Head of the Meadow Rd (landmark Truro Chamber of Commerce w/ porta potty) follow to end at fork. town beach is straight ahead, National Seashore beach is left at the fork. National Seashore has toilets and showers (red arrow). but back to the fork ... there is a small bike trail in the woods, it's paved (a little rough) and slow but shady. so if it's a hot sunny day you can refresh at the facilities then take this shady trail. a highlight on the trail is Pilgrim Spring (yellow arrow) where the Pilgrims got their first fresh water. there's a picnic table and a trail up a hill. you can find wild blueberries along that hill trail. but at the bottom on the right is the actual spring. it's small but I can usually cup my hands and slap my face with water in tribute. there's also a small plaque attached to a rock. I have been known to sip the water too. the trail continues to a hardpacked dirt rd that exits back at RT6 where you can cross over carefully) onto 6A and take the shore route into P-town. pretty fun