Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

MTB Shopping this weekend.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 11:56 AM
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ

Bikes: penny farthing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been riding road bikes for the better part of 20 years. I've borrowed a mountain bike a few times recently and had a blast. I'm a complete mountain newb so I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Budget is $2,000 CAD give or take a few hundred if need be. The trails that I'm riding aren't too technical. Loose gravel and packed clay. I don't think I need a rear shock, but could be wrong. I've test rode three bikes and looked at a couple Cannondales, but they all seem to have triple cranks. I would prefer a double or single chainring.

I liked the trek best, but they all rode similarly and it was in a parking lot... not on dirt. Of these options below, which would be the best for someone starting out? should I consider some others? Also which pedal system should I consider? I use speedplay on my road bike and have come to really like double side entry.

Trek Superfly 5
Superfly 5 | Trek Bikes

Scott Scale 750
SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Scale 750 Bike

Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 3 (currently $700 off MSRP)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...3/22203/84038/
Old 08-19-16, 01:40 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Giant has a carbon frame, that is an upgrade compared to the others. So it is a better value, I guess. But the three seem really close, so whichever fits/feels better to you. Or which shop treats you nicer.

As for pedals, Shimano SPD are (can be) relatively inexpensive and dead reliable. But they don't offer a lot of float. Time Atac pedals have more float but they are more expensive. Speed play makes off road pedals too, the Frogs are... different. I used them for years and they worked but cleat wear was getting expensive. Speedplay has another model now, I have no experience with those.

Finally, you have Crank Brothers Egg beaters. I have seen too many people walking in the woods with a broken Crank Brothers pedal for me to consider them.
Old 08-19-16, 03:26 PM
Canker

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
I'd probably take the Fox fork plus the other nicer parts on the Scott over the carbon frame on the Giant. The Scott also has the slackest headangle which I also prefer. I'm a Time guy as far as pedals go.
Old 08-19-16, 07:16 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I'd first go to the trails I want to ride with a cooler full of Gatorade to hand out and see what people are riding and ask why.

A single chain ring is my choice but that mainly depends on you and the trails you will be riding.
Some trails need a double,, some riders need a granny ring,,,depends.
Extra chain rings help hide bike weight on climbs....

Full suspension lets me stay seated and pedal when I start getting really tired, I need this some times.
Full squish helps keep my rear wheel on the ground and that means not only more watts to the dirt but more traction and control with less energy output..
BUT I don't have big climbs so the added weight of full squish Is not that big of a penalty for me..
I will admit, I still miss my Hard Tail ~~ I started on a Hard Tail and IMHO everyone should,,Let a Full squish be your second bike.

My bike Is a 2014 model,, serves me well.

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-20-16, 01:28 PM
Symtex

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckcicle
Been riding road bikes for the better part of 20 years. I've borrowed a mountain bike a few times recently and had a blast. I'm a complete mountain newb so I want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Budget is $2,000 CAD give or take a few hundred if need be. The trails that I'm riding aren't too technical. Loose gravel and packed clay. I don't think I need a rear shock, but could be wrong. I've test rode three bikes and looked at a couple Cannondales, but they all seem to have triple cranks. I would prefer a double or single chainring.

I liked the trek best, but they all rode similarly and it was in a parking lot... not on dirt. Of these options below, which would be the best for someone starting out? should I consider some others? Also which pedal system should I consider? I use speedplay on my road bike and have come to really like double side entry.

Trek Superfly 5
Superfly 5 | Trek Bikes

Scott Scale 750
SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Scale 750 Bike

Giant XTC Advanced 27.5 3 (currently $700 off MSRP)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...3/22203/84038/
Where are you located in Canada ? I'm trying to sell my 29ers Cannondale. You would get an incredible bike for a good price
Old 08-20-16, 01:46 PM
OshkoshBiker

Bikes: DB Haanjo Comp, Trek 1.2, Murray MTB, Framed Minnesota 2.0, Top Fuel 8

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Out of the three I would choose the Scott even though I live down the road from Trek (Sorry). However, I would also take a look at the higher end Diamondbacks like the Recoil. Diamondback gives you a lot of bike for less money.

Good Luck.
Old 08-20-16, 02:17 PM
Maximum Effort

Bikes: 7 between his and hers and other

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have much to offer on the bikes but I was able to check out bikes at a not so LBS located on a large trail (Santos Bike shop in Florida). My interest was whether I wanted fat tire, 29er or standard MTB. I was able to test all 3 types on the trail located behind the store. I ended up liking a standard MTB. Felt faster and more nimble in my opinion. Hard packed trials to mild technical is what I expect my wife and I to do. She already has a Specialized Fatboy...for training on road!
Old 08-20-16, 05:38 PM
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up going with the cannondale FSi 2

The bike felt great and had better forks and wheels. Managed to get it just under my budget. I haven't settled on pedals yet, but I'll order those online

Old 08-20-16, 05:43 PM
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Symtex
Where are you located in Canada ? I'm trying to sell my 29ers Cannondale. You would get an incredible bike for a good price
Thanks, but I wanted to go new not being well versed in mountain bikes
Old 08-20-16, 06:35 PM
Symtex

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, but I wanted to go new not being well versed in mountain bikes
You would get a much better bike for less money. Mine was riden light only 5 times.
Old 08-22-16, 12:18 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,492 Times in 2,591 Posts
I have found that craigslist (at least where I live) doesn't have lots of good deals on newer mtb (29, 27.5), but if you want a good 26" bike from somebody that has upgraded, you can get really good deals.
Old 08-25-16, 07:25 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5620 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 246 Posts
I'm also in the market for a new mtb. I'm an older rider, (61 last count) so I don't need anything really aggressive. I do ride on easy to moderate singletrack. I'm wanting to replace my Rockhopper - which I haven't been happy with. I'd like to spend less than a grand.
Any recommendations?
What about an online purchase? I'm a pretty fair mechanic.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-16, 08:55 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,492 Times in 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I'm also in the market for a new mtb. I'm an older rider, (61 last count) so I don't need anything really aggressive. I do ride on easy to moderate singletrack. I'm wanting to replace my Rockhopper - which I haven't been happy with. I'd like to spend less than a grand.
Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
If you're at least 6' tall, the bike I got was a great deal, the 19" like I got are all gone, but there are still four left in 21". Should work fine if you're 6'2"+, otherwise you could maybe make it work by swapping in a shorter stem.
Old 08-25-16, 03:22 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I haven't been bike shopping in a few years. Went in today and the salesman was pushing 27.5 wheels and hydraulic brakes. Said that is all the rage right now. Was he being straight with me?
Old 08-25-16, 10:34 PM
Canker

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
The only bikes that come with cable brakes anymore are extremely low end bikes and maybe a few specialty bikes like fat bikes were some people still worry about hydraulics and freezing temps. 27.5 are the new hip thing but 29ers are still fine too while 26ers are basically dead.
Old 08-25-16, 10:46 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Seems I need to get out more. Any idea what would be the best value bike for under a grand? I perfer hardtails. The bike shop had a Trek 4300 for $800.
Old 08-25-16, 11:06 PM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seems I need to get out more. Any idea what would be the best value bike for under a grand? I perfer hardtails. The bike shop had a Trek 4300 for $800.
Check out The Giant Hardtails. Dont be afraid to ask for a discount 10% should be very easy. The new models will be coming out soon look at 2015 models as well if you can find them. My LBS usually has a few holdovers especially on sale weekends like Labor Day
Old 08-26-16, 05:48 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
What year is your rockhopper? I upgraded the shock to a rockshox recon gold and the dtivetrain to a Shimano xt 10x1 with a race face 32t single ring up front and I am very happy with the setup. This is on a 2015 frame.
Old 08-26-16, 06:27 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by deex
What year is your rockhopper? I upgraded the shock to a rockshox recon gold and the dtivetrain to a Shimano xt 10x1 with a race face 32t single ring up front and I am very happy with the setup. This is on a 2015 frame.
Mine is a 2011 26" 8 speed. That's interesting what you did to yours. I wonder if I could do a similar change to mine? I like the single chainring.

Last edited by sknhgy; 08-26-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 06:56 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Since you like road bikes why not get a monstercross bike? Because the only thing road bikes need to make them perfect are 2.1 inch tires.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/raleighs-s...sea-otter-2016

The difference in weight between 2.1 Racing Ralphs and most 34mm CX tires is surprisingly slim

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 08-27-16 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 03:57 PM
WhiskeyChica

Bikes: Cannondale Tango SL1 29; Specialized Ruby Expert Disc and a beloved 1999 Gary Fisher Tassajara HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up going with the cannondale FSi 2

The bike felt great and had better forks and wheels. Managed to get it just under my budget. I haven't settled on pedals yet, but I'll order those online

-and you bought it before I could weigh in with (yet another) opinion!

I think you'll be happy. I have a 2015 Cannonade Tango SL1- spec'd out fairly identically to your new ride. I went HT instead of FS so I could afford better components. Good, solid bike for this intermediate rider. It forgives a lot of my transgressions and is just a hoot to ride. Hope you're going tubeless- it's worth the extra to charge it a couple times a year....
Old 09-01-16, 12:41 PM
OldGoose52

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona Kahuna

I recently bought a 2015 Kahuna. It was an overstock bike. I'm impressed with the Deore component set and the performance in general. I think even now you can buy one for about 1200
I'm not sure if the 2016 has a two or three ring crank. 2015 came with three rings. I enjoy the granny on some of the more technical climbs.
It's one of the best hardtails I have ridden