Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Let's face it: long socks are pointless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Let's face it: long socks are pointless

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 02:28 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I know people who have lost toenails because they thought flipflops were proper cycling attire. Riding barefoot is just plain stupid.
I lost a toenail wearing shoes and socks: https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...mile-ride.html

Just say ...
Old 08-22-16, 02:42 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Winter is the 5-6 weeks when we wear knee warmers for early morning rides.
6 weeks? Rule #5 please. It's like 3 days in January.
Old 08-22-16, 03:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Winter is the 5-6 weeks when we wear knee warmers for early morning rides.
Six to eight weeks for Atlanta, but yeah, about right.
Old 08-22-16, 03:50 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Trolled. The OP hasn't responded since the initial post - must've been too hot to ride in AZ, and in typical fashion (no pun intended), the 41 pounced on it three pages later.

Maybe they got the answer they were looking for. Just because they don't post a lot means little.

Has the presidential race made so many into nervous nellies?

Really, trolls are in the eye of the beholder or often are confused with the lawn gnomes that get placed so as to stare at the wooden board painted like grandma's lower end in a polkadotted dress bent over in the garden...how whimsical and naughty.
Old 08-22-16, 04:18 PM
noodle soup

Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
6 weeks? Rule #5 please. It's like 3 days in January.
sure, if you ride later in the day.

Mornings can be chilly(sub 40 degrees).

BTW, I don't play by your rules. Under 55 degrees is knee warmers for me.
Old 08-22-16, 04:19 PM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Corbin
I'm referring to the typical pro sock. I know they have different lengths.

If I was a pro cyclist and my team manager handed me a pair of 3" cuffs I'd be urged to ask him what the benefits are. Logically it makes zero sense.

Now if people want to talk about compression socks that's another thread itself.

The long socks you're talking about are 3"?

Huh...

Now that I think about it, I sometimes wear tall wool ski socks with knickers in winter.

Warm, but can be pulled down if the temps go up.
Old 08-22-16, 06:01 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Are you losing triathlons by 10 seconds?
No, more than that. However my transition are faster than most. In fact last month I came in 6th place but my transition was faster than the 5 places that came in before me. The winner in my age group averaged 24.7 on the bike, I only averaged 22.6 on the short 12 mile bike course. However his bike to run transition was 38 seconds slower than me
Back in the 80s and early 90s I was pretty competitive in triathlons, then stopped. Three years ago when I turned 50 I participated in a half ironman triathlon, then stopped training again. This is my first year back, and no stopping til I can ride no more........with no socks.
Old 08-22-16, 07:10 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by texaspandj
No, more than that. However my transition are faster than most. In fact last month I came in 6th place but my transition was faster than the 5 places that came in before me. The winner in my age group averaged 24.7 on the bike, I only averaged 22.6 on the short 12 mile bike course. However his bike to run transition was 38 seconds slower than me
Back in the 80s and early 90s I was pretty competitive in triathlons, then stopped. Three years ago when I turned 50 I participated in a half ironman triathlon, then stopped training again. This is my first year back, and no stopping til I can ride no more........with no socks.
That's a great break-down of your accomplishments, but it's irrelevant for cyclists..
Old 08-22-16, 07:15 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Long socks are cool. Under Armours in bright orange or pink, or lime green is even better. A combo of all three would be sublime.

Makes you faster too.
Old 08-22-16, 07:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
That's a great break-down of your accomplishments, but it's irrelevant for cyclists..
Because as we know, a triathlon is a perfectly good bike ride ruined by running and swimming.
Old 08-22-16, 07:57 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Only as irrelevant as your original question I guess.
Old 08-22-16, 08:16 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure, if you ride later in the day.

Mornings can be chilly(sub 40 degrees).

BTW, I don't play by your rules. Under 55 degrees is knee warmers for me.
Under 60 degrees I do a ls jersey. Under 55 I do gloves. Under 40 I do knickers and thermal top with ski gloves... and wool knee high socks... ...but I don't do under 40... I ride after lunch in the winter.
Old 08-22-16, 08:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Because as we know, a triathlon is a perfectly good bike ride ruined by running and swimming.

And a biathlon is a perfectly good cross country skiing jaunt interrupted my target shooting.

No wait, target shooting is the fun part.
Old 08-22-16, 08:25 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by joejack951

What was the question, I saw noodle soup and made a sandwich.

Long socks are not pointless, you can filter more coffee grinds.
Old 08-22-16, 08:50 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by joejack951
Not really, but troll on.
Old 08-22-16, 09:10 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Not really, but troll on.
Trolls are usually bare-footed. I prefer ankle socks these days though I rocked knee high socks in my youth (80s). I went a whole summer in no shoes back in high school. Got horrible blisters during soccer preseason. Good thread!
Old 08-23-16, 05:38 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You ride barefoot?
Yes pretty much all the time, as I mentioned in my sig.

I know people who have lost toenails because they thought flipflops were proper cycling attire. Riding barefoot is just plain stupid.
I rather enjoy it, thanks. I couldn't stand flip flops though, why put something completely useless on your feet? I suppose if you needed to go into somewhere that required footwear after/during the ride and you had no bag on the bike to stash em.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I lost a toenail wearing shoes and socks: https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...mile-ride.html

Just say ...
Running, cycling, hiking... plenty have lost toenails, got blisters, besides just usual sweaty feet, because of shoes. At nearly every single race I've ever done, mountain I've climbed, my bare feet have been in better shape that my friends wearing shoes, albeit a bit more dirty (big deal).

First century ride barefoot:

First 3 day trip barefoot:

Sorry for the contradictory t-shirt there, most all my shirts are from running races. I won first place in that 10k the shirt is from though, barefoot.

Last edited by T Stew; 08-23-16 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-23-16, 06:27 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
Yes pretty much all the time, as I mentioned in my sig.

I rather enjoy it, thanks. I couldn't stand flip flops though, why put something completely useless on your feet? I suppose if you needed to go into somewhere that required footwear after/during the ride and you had no bag on the bike to stash em.

Running, cycling, hiking... plenty have lost toenails, got blisters, besides just usual sweaty feet, because of shoes. At nearly every single race I've ever done, mountain I've climbed, my bare feet have been in better shape that my friends wearing shoes, albeit a bit more dirty (big deal).

First century ride barefoot:

First 3 day trip barefoot:

Sorry for the contradictory t-shirt there, most all my shirts are from running races. I won first place in that 10k the shirt is from though, barefoot.
What pedals do you use?

This could easily be it's own thread.

(I have signatures turned off. Sorry if the answer is in yours.)
Old 08-23-16, 06:50 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by f4rrest
What pedals do you use?

This could easily be it's own thread.

(I have signatures turned off. Sorry if the answer is in yours.)
Yeah don't want to go on too big of a tangent, but I suppose the thread is already played out.

Ergon PC2 is my main pedal I have on a couple bikes, and for a more polished look on my old steel bikes I also have V.O. Grand Cru Sabot pedals (I left the studs on one side of the pedals and removed from the other). I am in the process of trying to make a whole foot sized custom pedal too, for less strain on the plantar fascia and other underfoot ligaments and tendons.

And I don't really suggest it to anyone, I'm not evangelist, just chiming in with what I do, and that it works just fine.

Last edited by T Stew; 08-23-16 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-23-16, 06:54 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Yeah don't want to go on too big of a tangent, but I suppose the thread is already played out.
Ergon PC2 is my main pedal I have on a couple bikes, and for a more polished look on my old steel bikes I also have V.O. Grand Cru Sabot pedals (I left the studs on one side of the pedals and removed from the other). I am in the process of trying to make a whole foot sized custom pedal too, for less strain on the plantar fascia and other underfoot ligaments and tendons.
How often have you cut your feet while running/hiking/cycling? Or stepped on thorns? Or slipped on wet rocks because of poor traction?

Just curious.
Old 08-23-16, 07:21 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Ok, I'm going to commit a cardinal sin here and comment without having read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm restating a point already made, but...

Who the hell said "long" (3"? Really?) socks had any sort of benefit in the first place? Or even a point for that matter? How can they be pointless if no one had initially posited that a point should be present for your choice in socks? Why are you concerned with the length of other people's socks? You mentioned they are usually faster than you. How about you just work on being faster and stop worrying about socks?

Also, the problem with the "Fred" label is that no one can agree on the exact definition. There seems to be a lot of overlap with fred/poseur/nu-fred. That being said, I don't think you're allowed to call someone a fred for their sock length when you can't even commit to properly shaving your legs. Just saying.
Old 08-23-16, 07:34 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
This thread will never be played out! It's grown new legs.
Old 08-23-16, 07:48 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by texaspandj
This thread will never be played out! It's grown new legs.
The really important question: What socks are these new legs wearing?
Old 08-23-16, 08:05 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I am in the process of trying to make a whole foot sized custom pedal too, for less strain on the plantar fascia and other underfoot ligaments and tendons.
They already make something like this. It's called a shoe.
Old 08-23-16, 08:06 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

They already make something like this. It's called a shoe.
It's funny because it's true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.