Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I think this Specialized webpage promotes a bad image.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I think this Specialized webpage promotes a bad image.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 06:52 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
Target marketing? The guy who already owns a road bike and can afford buying a gravel bike. But not just any gravel bike. One that is as good or better than his road bike.
Old 09-08-16, 06:52 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Is it just me, or does being "an ambassador for the sport" always seem to mean "do it my way"?
Old 09-08-16, 07:00 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great what do you know another person offended. Get over it.
Old 09-08-16, 07:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18524 Post(s)
Liked 15,871 Times in 7,452 Posts
Old 09-08-16, 07:35 AM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
My daily bike commute takes me by some homeless camps and through hardscrabble neighborhoods where many people don't have bus fare to get to work or social services. You see them riding their old, abused bikes with their impossibly out-of-true-wheels, dangling brake cables, disconnected shifters often rolling on a flat or two. Seats askew riding too low for human comfort, foam padding exposed through worn vinyl. They wear somebody elses cast-off clothing wearing backpacks, or carying bedrolls and duffels on a rack, sometimes carrying a baby trailer full of belongings bungeed to a rear rack or just the seatpost. No helmet, no lights no gloves, not even in the rain or snow, wearing too much in the summer and too little in the winter, they press on at slightly bettere than walking speed, determined to get to that job, that shelter, that other place, whatever it is; they pedal with a drive and determination that rivals the titans of the tour. Those people to whom a bike is an essential lifeline...THEY are the serious cyclists.

The rest of us are hobbyists.
Old 09-08-16, 07:49 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 229 Posts
OP made my eyes roll so far back in my head they spun around again.
Old 09-08-16, 08:01 AM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously, that's all it takes to elicited a rant from you? Glad we're not neighbors! Lol
Old 09-08-16, 08:09 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Is it just me, or does being "an ambassador for the sport" always seem to mean "do it my way"?
That is how it seems, isn't it?
Old 09-08-16, 08:10 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daily bike commute takes me by some homeless camps and through hardscrabble neighborhoods where many people don't have bus fare to get to work or social services. You see them riding their old, abused bikes with their impossibly out-of-true-wheels, dangling brake cables, disconnected shifters often rolling on a flat or two. Seats askew riding too low for human comfort, foam padding exposed through worn vinyl. They wear somebody elses cast-off clothing wearing backpacks, or carying bedrolls and duffels on a rack, sometimes carrying a baby trailer full of belongings bungeed to a rear rack or just the seatpost. No helmet, no lights no gloves, not even in the rain or snow, wearing too much in the summer and too little in the winter, they press on at slightly bettere than walking speed, determined to get to that job, that shelter, that other place, whatever it is; they pedal with a drive and determination that rivals the titans of the tour. Those people to whom a bike is an essential lifeline...THEY are the serious cyclists.

It says "Colorado Springs", but you paint a picture of the worst parts of Detroit.

Are you a member of the anti-tourism council?
Old 09-08-16, 08:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
What is seriously wrong is the price of these bike. For $1300 you get a chromo frame and fork, 9 speed with Shimano Alivio RD.
Old 09-08-16, 08:42 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Sounds like someone got dropped by Fred and is upset...

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
presents a bad, sloppy public image of cycling and reflects poorly on the company. Specifically, the older man in the center, riding with open vest-shirt, whatever that strange looking printed garment is.
Looks like a cool guy to hang out with, and go on a bike ride to a local brewery, to me.

My opinion is that - Serious Cycling has an image. I'm not talking about kids riding around the neighborhood or the family who does 3 miles on Saturday on their $100 Wal-mart BSO's. I am thinking about those involved in it as a sport and a serious passion, who are the type of customers who would buy from a Specialized dealer. Or for that matter Cannondale, Fuji, Kestrel, Cervello ... any of the brands sold at a "real" bike shop or "real" online retailer. Not Walmart or Kmart or other "big box" stores.
I did a nice 25 mile ride on everything from road to loose deep sand this past weekend with three friends. I had a Scott, the fiancee was on her Specialized, and the friends on a Klein and a Gary Fisher. Only one of us had a jersey on (from a local microbrewery, BTW), none of us had cycling shorts, and none of us in proper shoes or cleats. Heck, I rode in gum soled indoor soccer Adidas shoes, with black calf length socks doubled back down on themselves, with baggy khaki cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Are we not "serious" enough for you? We had a grand time, BTW.

I know, another thread about "how you look" versus "how you perform". Sorry. My opinion is - we need to be good ambassadors for the sport to help it thrive. Look the part, act the part, and promote its positives in a patient and respectful way. The industry won't thrive if younger generations don't take it up
I'd be willing to bet considerable sums that if the younger generation were polled, they'd rather ride with that guy than a bunch of chubby accountants kitted out in lyrica.

I believe part of the allure of the sport is the appearance. I bristle when people refuse to wear helmets because they "look weird" or "stupid". Nothing is "cooler" for lack of a better phrase than a great helmet, matched with great kit and shoes. Doesn't mean you have to ride in team uniform if you're not on a team, but I believe in looking the part as well as acting the part. Doesn't mean that performance and ability don't come first, but appearance matters.
The only appearance that matters for the sport is a person sitting on a bike and pedaling. Your appearance likely looks ridiculous to me, FWIW.

I have a white collar job -- what would my clients and co-workers in the firm think if I came into work dressed in ratty old clothes? Not a professinal image.
Thankfully I can understand that my off time activities that don't provide an income don't require me to dress in the same manner that I need to when in a professional setting.

Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
It says "Colorado Springs", but you paint a picture of the worst parts of Detroit.
Meh, most of those folks in Detroit are smart enough to ride old single speeds. Much more durable!
Old 09-08-16, 08:44 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Those are some sexy looking bikes, BTW. Ad is definitely working on me!
Old 09-08-16, 09:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
... the guy in the middle has the muscled arms I wish I had ...
Originally Posted by wgscott
The apparent upper-body strength, especially on middle-aged cyclists, indicates Specialized is encouraging anabolic steroid abuse.
Only on a bike forum would being able to snap a pencil be considered strong and muscled.
Old 09-08-16, 10:04 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
What is seriously wrong is the price of these bike. For $1300 you get a chromo frame
That would be the most significant selling point, to me at least.
Old 09-08-16, 10:10 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 1,543 Times in 927 Posts
Bravo! +eleventy-one

Old 09-08-16, 10:41 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Looks OK to me! I guess they are trying to relay the message that you can still be a serious cyclist and not have to look like a pro wannabe.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-08-16, 10:56 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
quoting myself from another thread in C&V
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
Companies move manufacturing to Mexico and China to save labor costs, but more important to me, they do it to dodge environmental regulations. I would like to see somebody like Specialized, rather than market themselves as TdF and New Adventure imaging, manufacture in China to our environmental standards (or better). Make their own power with cogen, solar and wind, scrub their carbon, NOx and sulfur. Then market themselves as providing green transportation with green manufacturing.
Old 09-08-16, 11:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked 6,708 Times in 3,843 Posts
I think this dead horse has been sufficiently beaten.

Closed/