Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mini Pump: Lezyne the Best?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 11:45 AM
TripleB67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to get a very small bike pump to carry in my saddle bag or water bottle storage container (don't want to attach the pump to the frame).

Does Lezyne make the best mini pump for the price?

Looking at the small version of this one (which is only 6.5"): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X772QK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I know many prefer CO2 but just starting out in the sport of cycling I'd prefer to go as simplistic as possible.

Also: is there a mini tool kit (that contains most of what tools I'd need on the road) that you would recommend that's good quality but relatively inexpensive?

Thanks!

TripleB67

Last edited by TripleB67; 09-13-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 11:48 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4452 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,899 Posts
I carry a Topeak minimorph in my jersey pocket. Works great.

Not sure how you would carry a pump in the "water storage container" (= bottle cage?) without strapping it to the frame.
Old 09-13-16, 11:53 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
OP, the one you're looking at is a good one.
And so is the topeak micro rocket.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-13-16, 12:00 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I carry a Topeak minimorph in my jersey pocket. Works great.

Not sure how you would carry a pump in the "water storage container" (= bottle cage?) without strapping it to the frame.
I use a Topeak Road Morph G. A little bigger than those micro mini pumps, but works really well. I like it because it has a lot of features you find in a floor pump, like the ability to use the ground for leverage, and a small gauge so you know how much pressure is in your tires. I mount mine to my frame, but other options include putting it in a jersey pocket, small backpack, or if your bike has a rear rack, bungee or mount it to the rear rack.
Old 09-13-16, 12:12 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Road Morph is a fantastic functioning pump. If you have a smaller frame, like I do, mounting it can be highly problematic.
Old 09-13-16, 12:14 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Road Morph is a fantastic functioning pump. If you have a smaller frame, like I do, mounting it can be highly problematic.
I mounted mine to the top tube, using zip ties and the mounting hardware that came with the pump. I have seen others sacrifice a bottle cage and mount it to the seat tube.
Old 09-13-16, 12:20 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I have a medium-sized Lezyne similar to the one you're looking at. While it has gotten the job done (mostly) when needed, each time I get another flat I think maybe, just maybe it's time to cut the BS and go with something that'll be a little bit less of a pain in the ass to get up to 100psi. Something like the Lezyne mini floor pump. It'll look a little more ugly on the bike, but with each new flat, it's becoming more of an acceptable compromise.
Old 09-13-16, 12:30 PM
RushFan2112

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2, Cannondale F1000 SL

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know if there's a 'best' but I have the Lezyne Pressure Drive and am very happy with it. Lezyne, in general, make quality stuff.
Old 09-13-16, 12:31 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I mounted mine to the top tube, using zip ties and the mounting hardware that came with the pump. I have seen others sacrifice a bottle cage and mount it to the seat tube.
That was my solution, but it tended to interfere with my bottles. A good, old school frame pump hugged closer to the top tube and solved that issue.
Old 09-13-16, 01:11 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 5,351 Times in 1,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
That was my solution, but it tended to interfere with my bottles. A good, old school frame pump hugged closer to the top tube and solved that issue.

Just got my 3rd one so that I have all my different frame sizes covered.

I've had too many issues with mini pumps over the years the last and final straw being a couple of weeks ago.
Old 09-13-16, 01:19 PM
TripleB67

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Probably called it the wrong name...this is what I was talking about: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TripleB67
Old 09-13-16, 01:36 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by MRT2
I use a Topeak Road Morph G. A little bigger than those micro mini pumps, but works really well. I like it because it has a lot of features you find in a floor pump, like the ability to use the ground for leverage, and a small gauge so you know how much pressure is in your tires. I mount mine to my frame, but other options include putting it in a jersey pocket, small backpack, or if your bike has a rear rack, bungee or mount it to the rear rack.
The Road Morph G is awesome, but with the mini morph I also get the ability use the ground as leverage and a horizontal handle. I don't get the pressure gauge, which would be nice. But by carrying it in my jersey pocket, I can have just one pump that I take with me on any bike. I think (maybe somebody knows differently?) that the Road Morph would be a little long for a jersey pocket -if the center of gravity is out of the pocket, it would have a tendency to fall out.
Old 09-13-16, 01:39 PM
Mt. Tam

Bikes: Raleigh Revenio Carbon (w/Reynolds Aero 58's) , '90 Lemond (Z-Team steel, w/HPlusSon w/I9 Torch's), Ridley Supercross (w/Boyd Altamonts)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a bad experience with a Lezyne Drive mini-pump, mostly because I was stuck on the road attempting to screw on the chuck which would then unscrew my valve core. Wouldn't have been a problem if I had tubes without removeable cores at the time. Still, that shouldn't have to be a concern.

I think the Pro Mini-Pump XS (which I keep on my cross bike) and Specialized Air Tool (on both my road bikes) are super.
Old 09-13-16, 01:43 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by TripleB67
Probably called it the wrong name...this is what I was talking about: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TripleB67
Oh, now I get it. Didn't know about those.
Old 09-13-16, 01:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mt. Tam
Had a bad experience with a Lezyne Drive mini-pump, mostly because I was stuck on the road attempting to screw on the chuck which would then unscrew my valve core. Wouldn't have been a problem if I had tubes without removeable cores at the time. Still, that shouldn't have to be a concern.

I've had that happen, too, and it can be disheartening. Isn't that what the new ABS (or whatever) tubes are for, though?
Old 09-13-16, 02:41 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pump and that has inflated many club member's flat tires. Everyone was impressed that it can attain 160 psi and do it rather quickly.
Being all metal, it appeared to me to possibly be more durable than the Topeak Road Morph series.

The Lezyne pump comes in a high volume or high pressure models
Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Hand Pumps - High Pressure - Micro Floor Drive HP/HPG
Old 09-13-16, 02:43 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've had that happen, too, and it can be disheartening. Isn't that what the new ABS (or whatever) tubes are for, though?
I put some locktite on the threads and I have never had an issue. They do make an adapter to press it on if I recall:
Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Digital Pumps - Accessories - Speed Chuck

https://www.lezyne.com/product-dpumps...p#.V9hlvzWCSb8

Last edited by Fly2High; 09-13-16 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 02:46 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a The Flying Wheels Pump and you mount it behind your water cage but i have it next to mine. ( just velcro'd on).

For a multi tool, i dont have one because i dont need one. I carry a phillips and flat head screw driver and a 4 and 5.5 allen wrench in my tool bag. I used to carry a vice but it was too heavy.
Old 09-13-16, 03:20 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 106 Posts
I have three Lezyne Road Drive Medium pumps (one for each of my bikes) and they have been excellent for several years. I personally wouldn't want anything smaller. For me, the medium is the perfect balance of small/lightweight and inflating ability.
Old 09-13-16, 03:21 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
On longer rides I carry Blackburns Airstick 2-Stage as a backup to CO2. Good pump, very small and fits in my jersey pocket. It has a switch for low & high pressure - Crank Bros makes a similar model. No hose but if you plant the head in your hand against your inner knee when pumping, it works well. 60 strokes on low & 140 on high got me home after my last flat. When I'm in a hurry I'll use CO2 but I always feel better with the pump in my pocket. Blackburn has a good lifetime guarantee. I like Lezynes pumps too but on more than one group ride, a fellow rider has unscrewed a valve core when removing the hose. Not a good scene or language suitable for children
Old 09-13-16, 04:14 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mt. Tam
which would then unscrew my valve core.
Funny. I have the Lezyne (medium, I think) and this past weekend after pumping up the tire, I unscrewed the valve core, letting out the air in an instant.

And then I did it AGAIN.

That means by the time I was back on the road I had pumped that damned pump about 300 times.

When I got home, I pulled the cores from my stash of spare tubes and applied a drop of lock-tite to the threads on each of them.

Moronic operator aside, it's a nice pump
Old 09-13-16, 05:24 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleB67
Looking to get a very small bike pump to carry in my saddle bag or water bottle storage container (don't want to attach the pump to the frame).

Does Lezyne make the best mini pump for the price?

Looking at the small version of this one (which is only 6.5"): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X772QK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I know many prefer CO2 but just starting out in the sport of cycling I'd prefer to go as simplistic as possible.
Actually, CO2 is pretty much the simplest. You'll figure that out soon enough when you try and pump your tire up with that small pump.

Otherwise, the Lezyne pumps are either the best or close to the best that this is a good choice.

Also: is there a mini tool kit (that contains most of what tools I'd need on the road) that you would recommend that's good quality but relatively inexpensive?

Thanks!

TripleB67
Fixit sticks.
Old 09-13-16, 05:35 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have always been a proponent of co2 until I switched to tubeless tires and ended up stranded on the side of the road after the front wheel lost it's bead and I tried to use one co2 to reset it, didn't work, so needed the second to inflate the tube...then lost the bead in the second wheel and no way to inflate the second tube.

This was 100% my fault. I should have tested the wheels closer to home or carried more co2 for my test trip. Still, ever since then, I started carrying the Topeak Pocket Rocket pump I purchased for bikepacking and I have to say, I'm kind of content not dealing with the co2. The Pocket Rocket does a pretty good job at getting air in the tires quickly...plus, it's about the only upper arm workout I get. Ha!

Old 09-13-16, 05:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I have a medium-sized Lezyne similar to the one you're looking at. While it has gotten the job done (mostly) when needed, each time I get another flat I think maybe, just maybe it's time to cut the BS and go with something that'll be a little bit less of a pain in the ass to get up to 100psi. Something like the Lezyne mini floor pump. It'll look a little more ugly on the bike, but with each new flat, it's becoming more of an acceptable compromise.
If you're referring to the 'micro floor drive' it seems like overkill. But that being said, I would love to own that pum to take on road trips, where space is at a premium.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-13-16, 05:51 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you find it cheap enough, you can carry a CO2 for that one in a million emergency situation. I got a flat a week ago and the ride leader could not get her pump to work, that would have been a time to use it for example. (tube was the wrong size so we didnt try it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.