Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Advice on Garmin 520 - what do you like/dislike?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Advice on Garmin 520 - what do you like/dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 09:34 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You do realize the question was about the 520, which is 2 generations later then the 500. Possibly some of the functionality has changed ?.

Sorry you hated the 500 but kind of useless to the OP, 'ya think ?
not really .... I'm telling him/advising him to get the Edge 1000 (more features, bigger screen etc) .... the 520 is very similar to the 500 in screen size.
Old 09-25-16, 08:26 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 543 Posts
Originally Posted by chong67
The screen resolution on the 520 and 820 is bad/low that I think is only good for text and to have a map on there
This may be partially true but I personally have never had any problems reading the screen. I think in today's world of HD and 4K media, everyone expects something to be as crisp as that. It's a bicycle computer, it is what it is.
Old 09-25-16, 08:57 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
not really .... I'm telling him/advising him to get the Edge 1000 (more features, bigger screen etc) .... the 520 is very similar to the 500 in screen size.
The problems you complained about with the 500 don't exist with the 520.

The 520 is fine for navigation if you pre load it with a route. 99+% of the time I have an idea of where I'm going ahead of time so having turn indications and a small map is fine for me. If I do happen to get lost or too far off track I can stop for a min and look at my phone. I don't need a 4 or 5" screen on my bars.
Old 09-25-16, 03:49 PM
jeromephone

Bikes: Scott CR1 Comp

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking at an entry level unit I just got the specilized double wireless it has cadence and mph and will work with a HRM I have the Mio fuse comes with the cadence sensor It is just a bike computer but way smaller than the gps unit and way cheaper.
Old 09-25-16, 04:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3327 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,233 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
This may be partially true but I personally have never had any problems reading the screen. I think in today's world of HD and 4K media, everyone expects something to be as crisp as that. It's a bicycle computer, it is what it is.
I find the screen on the 810 perfectly readable and I don't carry reading glasses.

When the device is giving turn-by-turn directions, the font and map detail is easy to read.

There have been times when not navigating that I scroll to the map screen to just figure out about where I am and if there are alternative roads I might want to take. The device is easy enough to zoom in/out and I'm one of those who likes touch screens and have mastered this units screen response. Touch screens are not liked by some folks and I understand that, I just can never remember which buttons if I'm not using them a lot.
Old 09-28-16, 03:18 PM
v402872

Bikes: 2016 Escape 1, Scott CR1 20

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 520

Originally Posted by illusiumd
I can't believe I'm considering dropping 3-400 for a cycling computer. I've got a 30mi daily commute and have been using Strava on an iPhone - but lately I think I may be suffering from overtraining - I've never really had anyone teach me proper cycling technique or thought about varying my speed/cadence - I've never tried to formulate a training regimen.

I'd like to be able to bike my 30mi/4 days a week commute and still be able to do a ride on the weekend. Right now I can barely make it through the commute - I've never given thought to what my cadence is before ...

I'm wondering if a good cycling computer like the 520 with the speed and cadence sensor can help me better map out a good biking rhythm that will keep me healthier...
Just bought been using it. takes time to figure it all out. I just found out directly from Garmin you cannot upload maps to it. You can with the 820. The speed and cadence sensors are xtra so budget for it. They do work very well. It is the top of the line. I had a CAteye Strata and screen was too small.
Old 09-28-16, 05:55 PM
chong67

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can replace it with free Open Street Map and it is far better than those on Garmin.