Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Switching to Albatross Nitto from Drops- Index install easily?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 09:02 AM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am swapping my new disc brake 520's drops. Not a fan. I am selling my prior V Brake model I just coud nto get comfortable on with the Drops.
I tried to raise the stem with a Dimension extender and a 7mm Bontrager stem. Made a little difference, not enough.

This time my plan is to order an uncut fork (if they are in stock, otherwise, try the extender again)

I ordered the steel Nitto Albatross bars. I considered Jones bars but had the Nittos sitting around from ordering them some months back, and I have liked them on my city bikes. Some large Ergon grips are planned as well.

Will the index shifters be easy to adapt to the end of the bar?

Wondering if it will look cool with a black stem and silver bars? Worth a shot trying.
Old 10-11-16, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
The Nitto steel Albatross use High strength ChroMoly [I had a set] so the tube wall is thin and bar end shifters
Right one being indexed*, will fit in the open ends ..

Long Term use plan, I'd plug one end and pour in some paint , frame prep, etc, to coat It, so the condensation wont rust the inside ..

1" center 7/8" off that bulge, so MTB stuff fits Maybe thumbies .. Ergon grips May not let the shifter pass thru

Portland you have 100 bike shops to chat up on your scheme..

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-11-16 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-11-16, 09:31 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Liked 452 Times in 254 Posts
Nitto Albatross Bar, CroMo 55cm x 25.4

rivbike says: Should be no problem for indexed bar end shifters. (bar cons if they are SUNTOUR...)

I'm giving these NITTO moustache bars a try: https://goo.gl/photos/wxnzDU2KkpbeaaQ48
I think I need to flip them to get up a bit. It's a brand-new stem, so I don't really want to buy a whole 'nother one.....
cheers.
Old 10-11-16, 10:25 AM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I will just order up some Bosco bars. Been interested in these. Nitto Bosco Bar, Alu HT 58cm x 25.4 - 16241

The Moustache looks interesting too, and the hand positions similar to the Albatross, plus you can use the brake levers on the drops... Hmmm?? I know that was mentioned as an option prior to me.
Old 10-11-16, 11:54 AM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
Nitto Albatross Bar, CroMo 55cm x 25.4

rivbike says: Should be no problem for indexed bar end shifters. (bar cons if they are SUNTOUR...)

I'm giving these NITTO moustache bars a try: https://goo.gl/photos/wxnzDU2KkpbeaaQ48
I think I need to flip them to get up a bit. It's a brand-new stem, so I don't really want to buy a whole 'nother one.....
cheers.
I might order those Moustache bars up. Hoping for a good ride height. Only concern for me is access to the brake levers. I did not like my drops because I had to get down to access them.. always contemplated some cross levers for when I was higher up. Just seemed disconcerting. I think I am so used to my Albatross brake set up.. always 'right there'.

Shellac look dumb with my modern disc brake touring bike? Just a thought I had. Not sure what grips, cork might not be my chosen fave. I hope the barcons do work, they seem like comfy grips and I have had them for many months.. can't return them.
Old 10-11-16, 11:58 AM
Dream Cyclery
Wheel Builder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you need more option, FSA Metropolis bar is pretty similar sweep like the Jones H bar.
Old 10-11-16, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I have run Nitto Mustache bars too, the slight down angle is more comfortable for the wrist angle
If you as I Did, run Road levers on the front curve.

Again there Bar end shifters were best.. for Me..
Old 10-11-16, 02:44 PM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dream Cyclery
If you need more option, FSA Metropolis bar is pretty similar sweep like the Jones H bar.
I think the local shop has that same bar, a guy I know there really Dug it. They apparently Climb nicely too? Important on a Touring Rig. I will take a look. On line the comments seem to be that it will accept bar ends. The Paul thumb holders are a possibility as well.
Old 10-12-16, 09:19 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by djkenny
Hoping for a good ride height.
Only concern for me is access to the brake levers. I did not like my drops because I had to get down to access them.. always contemplated some cross levers for when I was higher up. Just seemed disconcerting. I think I am so used to my Albatross brake set up.. always 'right there'.

Shellac look dumb with my modern disc brake touring bike? Just a thought I had. Not sure what grips, cork might not be my chosen fave. I hope the barcons do work, they seem like comfy grips and I have had them for many months.. can't return them.
Here's a pic from yesterday of where I have the brake levers: https://goo.gl/photos/u8fQV5e41dXo3T34A
- they are back a bit further than they are probably supposed to be. The front brake is just fine (very short cable run). The rear brake is a bit squishy - it could be I need to adjust due to the new housing and cable on seating in and such. But the brake levers are right at my fingers. So I like that.
~ Here's what I found disconcerting: I did not realize that when I went no-hands, back to the bars, I grabbed the bars without looking down. With these - THERE'S NOTHING THERE!! I didn't crash, but my hands went right into nothing! So beware if you're opening a bar or adjusting your helment or something.

I don't shellac anything as I don't have the patience. I went electric tape. Gives it that ghetto look we all work so hard to achieve.

I think you're bar-cons should work fine, based on what you've said.

I may end up flipping the bars to get a bit higher.
I got this right now: https://goo.gl/photos/fkWjbNXh67CVWtFE8

Cheers!
Old 10-12-16, 10:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I placed my brake levers closer together, my favored hand placement is where you put the brake lever.
Old 10-12-16, 08:24 PM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I bought the Metropolis FSA bar in black. I think they will be a great match. Going to use my 7mm stem too. Shorten the reach from the stock one.

I am actually considering Paul brakes. I know it is taking it to the next level, but I want to make this as cool and well made as possible.

Anyone know what Paul brakes would work with the mechanical disc brake set up?

Also, the index bar ends will likely do better on top the bars. I think I want to add the Paul set up allowing the shifters to be on the bar as apposed to the ends.
Old 10-13-16, 06:29 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by djkenny
So I bought the Metropolis FSA bar in black. I think they will be a great match. Going to use my 7mm stem too. Shorten the reach from the stock one.

I am actually considering Paul brakes. I know it is taking it to the next level, but I want to make this as cool and well made as possible.

Anyone know what Paul brakes would work with the mechanical disc brake set up?

Also, the index bar ends will likely do better on top the bars. I think I want to add the Paul set up allowing the shifters to be on the bar as apposed to the ends.
https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/love-lever/ ~ says the Love Lever will work with mech-disk brakes.
I think Paul's stuff is super cool. And super pricey.
I emailed Paul about using the RACER center pulls to convert the aforementioned TREK 420 to 650b wheels (from 27in wheels). He replied it 'should' work - tough for him to commit from across the continent, which I completely understand.
I flipped my mustache bars. It looks a bit odd. I'll give it a test ride on Saturday.

Send photos when you get everything set up. I'm very curious. Thanks!
Old 10-13-16, 04:03 PM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/love-lever/ ~ says the Love Lever will work with mech-disk brakes.
I think Paul's stuff is super cool. And super pricey.
I emailed Paul about using the RACER center pulls to convert the aforementioned TREK 420 to 650b wheels (from 27in wheels). He replied it 'should' work - tough for him to commit from across the continent, which I completely understand.
I flipped my mustache bars. It looks a bit odd. I'll give it a test ride on Saturday.

Send photos when you get everything set up. I'm very curious. Thanks!
'

Trying to decide between polished and silver Love Levers? Black Metropolis FSA bars.. Black 520... Hmm??
Old 10-18-16, 03:13 PM
djkenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I called Paul, they said the Cantilever lever short pull should work with the Hayes Mechanical Disc brakes since it has Drops. make Sense? Welp, on Order.