Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

real effective cold-weather jacket

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 01:56 PM
eddiebrannan

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

freakin cold out there today. recommendations for a real serious winter cycle jacket? not bulky, longer in back and toasty warm pls
Old 12-14-05, 01:59 PM
evanyc
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go try out some stuff at NYCVelo... they have some good gore, descente, and craft stuff. i'm getting a Gore Tool for xmas, but waiting sucks!
Old 12-14-05, 02:00 PM
flythebike
Wher'd u Get That Jacket?

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Lemond Poprad, Airborne Manhatten Project, Calfee Luna Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rapha Jacket is amazing. But costs $325 through www.preemcycling.com. If you have a well-heeled gift giver who is stumped, that's the ticket.
Old 12-14-05, 02:08 PM
eddiebrannan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't afford rapha, unfortunately. went to nyc velo the other day and bought a pair of gloves. didn't see anything super-warm looking though. i want something i can wear today with my long underwear, and my pearl izumi l/s jersey, and be good on a day like today. i wanna spend like $100 ideally
Old 12-14-05, 02:10 PM
fatbat
spinspinspinspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gore tool works well for me-
that jacket together with a long sleeved shirt kept me warm on -11 c commute this morning.
if you get it on discount, it should be ~$100.
Old 12-14-05, 02:12 PM
habitus
consistent inconsistency

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why doesn't anyone ever mention fur coats? hey, they work for most other mammals.
Old 12-14-05, 02:13 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i have a cop jacket that i got at a thrift store. warm as hell, has four cargo-style pockets on the front, zips into three pieces--outer, insulated liner, and rainproof insert. fairly mobile, overlaps my mittens nicely. only downside is no collar, so i rock a fleece neckie also.
Old 12-14-05, 02:57 PM
celephaiz
I sing the body electric

Bikes: 2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go with a goretex shell and layering underneath (i usually go 2-3 layers of long underwear tops. It works for skiing (including gatekeeping at races where all you do is sit in the snow brrrr) and biking. As for making it affordable, I do web searches for some of the better known brands and often, online, you can find last year's designs and whatnot. If you can wait until January, you can probably get some sweet sales on top of that. Brands to look at: Obermeyer, Northface, mountain hardware, helly hansen, marmot, patagonia... someone mentioned descente i think... Not a big fan here, their stuff tends to be pretty ugly IMO and no more functional than other things.
Old 12-14-05, 03:14 PM
jittery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
burley rain shell + fleece mid layer + wicking layer of your choice.
Old 12-14-05, 03:19 PM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good down jacket can be had for around 150$. problem is bag compress down making less for warm. but downfeather jacket very warm.
Old 12-14-05, 03:19 PM
bigbikerbrian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you want waterproof, or just water-resistant? i have an adidas jacket that kicks ass, but i cant find it anywhere online. its not super warm, but ive been riding around with it, patagonia capilene and some arm warmers in 35-40 degree weather pretty comfortably. it says climawarm on the side of it, and it has three pockets in the back and two zippered pockets in the front. its a good weight, has a long tail, and i got it for around 100 bucks.
Old 12-14-05, 03:30 PM
popdelusions
it's your bicycle bells

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gore Tool is pretty amazing for the price, and it's on sale all the time everywhere; back pockets, pit zips, all the bells and whistles. Put that on over a base layer and heavy jersey or fleece you should be fine on a day like today. Any soft-shell will do, though (you don't have to spend 350 for a rapha or arctyrex or suchlike); EMS has some cheapies, if you can find a Loki those are really warm (and have convenient/annoying built in facemasks and fold-out mittens). Problem is what's good for moving isn't necessarily good enough when you stop, so throw a down or primaloft jacket or vest in your bag if you're also going to be standing or walking around in sub-freezing weather.
Old 12-14-05, 03:32 PM
eddiebrannan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah i want something that i can wear on days like today when it's 19° in nyc. i want it to be slimmish (not down). i want it to fit properly (longer in back etc). i like that gore tool. it looks like the jam. i just got a nice check so i'll look into it.

cheers all.
Old 12-14-05, 03:40 PM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The North Face sells a softshell jacket called the Apex Bionic. Cheapest wind/waterproof softshell you can get. $100.
Old 12-14-05, 03:42 PM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
p.s. buy a size up so you can layer properly underneath. I wear a $10 fleece from old navy under my $250 arc'teryx softshell.

EDIT: you might not have to buy a size up with north face since all of their clothes fit like fat frat boy clothes
Old 12-14-05, 04:17 PM
nicomachus

Bikes: n+1

Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
With a breathable base layer (like a cheap polyester shirt or two), I've never needed more than my Marmot Driclime Windshirt. Even when winter cycling in Massachusetts and Canada. It's a little chilly when I start out, but by the time my legs are feeling warmed up, so are my chest and arms. Cuts the wind, fits well in an extended reach posture (designed for rock climbers), has a slightly longer flap in the rear, and fits snug. I know it's pricey (~$100), but I can't live without it. I'm a minimalist, and this is my only winter jacket.

One other note, it's not the warmest if you're not moving. This jacket's beauty, to me, is that it keeps the wind off me and keeps me warm while cycling. It probably would not be a good jacket for just standing around in the cold, waiting for a bus or something.
Old 12-14-05, 04:25 PM
chimpo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fabric to look for is GORETEX Windstopper.

I bought a Castelli jacket around 6 years ago that is the warmest, the lightest and most durable cold weather riding jacket ever created.

That fabric as a shell is very effective in keeping you very warm and is surprisingly also breathable. The only downside is that most jackets using that fabric are expensive.
Old 12-14-05, 04:34 PM
bvancouv
Beginning to Percolate

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R500, IRO Mark V, 1980's Schwinn Predator BMX, Chrome 1982 Schwinn Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't bike in a down jacket. If you sweat at all, it turns into a hot, clammy, nasty cocoon in no time flat. That and your range of movement is severely impaired and you look like a DUI rider.
Old 12-14-05, 04:50 PM
fixiechick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an REI One jacket for $125 bucks and wear it every day while riding outside in this ****ty Chicago winter. Really comfortable, sleek-fitting/thin, super-warm, and looks nice. It's a softshell, windproof and mostly waterproof. Last week when it was 17 degrees outside, all I wore was a Craft longsleeve undershirt, a t-shirt, and my jacket. Today we got this horrible snow drizzle all afternoon and I was dry and comfy. They make a men's and women's version. I considered the North Face Apex Bionic softshell, but all I could find at the local stores were, like, pastel pink and lavender colors o_O. So the REI jacket won in the end because it's black and also cuz it's slightly stretchy -- I like that freedom of movement when riding.
Old 12-14-05, 05:05 PM
isotopesope
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the combination of my outdoor research ice climbing shell and my assos windblocker jacket make for one warm ass jacket power combo...
Old 12-14-05, 05:14 PM
luckycat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an Assos gator jacket and love it. It's more than a hundred dollars, but absolutely worth it. Kept me warm in nyc lately with nothing but a t shirt & wool undershirt underneath. It also has a long back and three big rear pockets, which are nice to have
Old 12-14-05, 05:20 PM
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pearl Izumi Barrier Jacket.
Check it:
https://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=489
Old 12-14-05, 09:15 PM
bklyn74

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10, Moser "Special", RIP- early/mid 90's Zullo "Sprint" (ultegra grouppo, stronglight crankset), 04 Bianchi Pista (stock except for the saddle, front break and pedals)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a pearl izumi zephyr II that is unbelievably thin and windproof. that, a jersey and arm warmers take me down into the LOW (12- 15 F) double digits w/ no problem. add a patagonia longjohns top to the mix and i can ride comfortably however low the temp. now if i could just keep the tips of my fingers that warm. . .
Old 12-14-05, 10:14 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the predecessor of the RaceFace Shore. It is a windproof/waterproof shell with zippered vents, long back and long sleeves for on bike. It is suprising how warm it is with just a wool long sleeve jersey under. If it is the low thirties and sunny I have to leave the vents open.
The Zephyr, above, is good to. There is more room in the Shore tho.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 12-14-05, 10:36 PM
auroch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I 2nd the REI One jacket. I bought mine two winters ago and have never needed more while
biking. I just saw a newer one and they've made them even better.

For the record REI rules if you pay the one-time lifetime membership you get 10% back cash,
their return policy is unbelievable, and the people who work their have never let me down.

jeff

Originally Posted by fixiechick
I just got an REI One jacket for $125 bucks and wear it every day while riding outside in this ****ty Chicago winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.