Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5 (105) vs Cannondale CAAD 12 105 (Non-Disc)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 02:05 PM
therh

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have been comparing bikes around $1,500-$1,750 and have narrowed it down too the Trek ALR 5 (105) and CAAD 12 105 (Non-Disc).

Here are some things I have noticed:

Pro's of the ALR:

Full 105 Group Set (STI, Brakes, Deurailers,, and Cassette.)

Bontrager components.

Emonda heritage

Pro's of CAAD:

EVO geometry

105 Cassette, 105 STI, and 105 Derailleur.

Currently the ALR is $1,380 and the CAAD is $1,650.

I am looking to do group rides, neighborhood training. Also I will be riding on fairly smooth black top, pavement, and some slightly rough (40+ year old black top).

I am getting back into cycling after 5 months after a hiatus from a surgery I had. That said I will not be putting in more than 15 miles per ride. Before I had to stop I was riding a 2011 Fuji Roubaix (Tiagra), and doing 30-45 miles each ride at a 17-19 mph pace.

All thoughts are welcome, to what you think about the bikes on similarities, as well the pros and cons.

Thanks,
RH
Old 04-27-16, 03:19 PM
isuckatbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People love the CAAD, whether its the 10 or the 12. To my knowledge, the geo on the CAAD might be a bit more aggressive.

I bought an ALR because I love the styling cues on it, Its a bit more minimalistic. I'm sure both bikes would be great for you though.
Old 04-27-16, 04:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4761 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 1,011 Posts
On a related note.. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...s-alr-5-a.html
Old 04-27-16, 06:08 PM
therh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that he bought the ALR, and there are some pretty good points as the ALR is not a relaxed nor pure race geometry like the CAAD.

Something that thread did not answer for me, unless I missed are a few things:

Is the ability to use a ANT+ sensor frame an advantage?

What are the differences in the cranks between the pure Shimano and the FSA/Si?

How durable is paint to rock chips and other debris between Trek and Cannaondale?

And, even though the wheels with each are not top spec, what is a better wheel set?

Thanks
Old 04-27-16, 08:09 PM
Emonda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say Emonda because Bontrager has great components, it's FULL 105 (just feels more whole, not really a difference in performance), but most importantly the $$ savings. That's a pretty big discount you can put into other stuff. They're fairly equal bikes. The CAAD 12 is just newer so it's getting press right now. I'm pretty sure if the Emonda was just released against a 2 year old CAAD12 we'd be seeing the same reports.
Old 04-28-16, 04:47 AM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CAAD12 is the pick - without doubt...
Old 04-28-16, 05:00 AM
therh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emonda
I say Emonda because Bontrager has great components, it's FULL 105 (just feels more whole, not really a difference in performance), but most importantly the $$ savings. That's a pretty big discount you can put into other stuff. They're fairly equal bikes. The CAAD 12 is just newer so it's getting press right now. I'm pretty sure if the Emonda was just released against a 2 year old CAAD12 we'd be seeing the same reports.
Exactly, full 105 group set and full Bontrager finishing kit is a savings, as I would like full Shimano as the group set, and Bontrager components are readily available.

Simply said, I would be more than satisfied with the bike "out of the box". The only thing I would change is the bar tape, and change it to Fizik 3 mm Performance, as that is what I've been running for years.
Old 04-28-16, 09:10 AM
ljp3

Bikes: CDale Synapse Hi-Mod 3, Bianchi Oltre XR.1, Giant Anthem Advanced 29er

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With these two bikes the geometry is the only thing that should tell you which bike to buy. As far as cost, you are looking at $270 over what 3-5 years, hopefully longer?

Cannondale CAAD12 105 review - BikeRadar USA

"The new si crankset tips the scales at 735g complete with fsa chainrings: the new si crankset tips the scales at 735g complete with fsa chainrings.
The new Si crankset weighs just 735g complete with FSA chainrings. This isn't as light as its SiSL2 and SiSL predecessors, but the hollow-forged alloy construction – a process Cannondale pioneered before Shimano – results in a weight of just 735g complete with the FSA chainrings. This is lighter than Ultegra and even SRAM's carbon Force."

I couldn't find a direct comparison of the new SI to the 105 but I have yet to hear anyone offer a reason to think the SI is so inferior to 105 that it should be a reason to not buy a bike that fits you otherwise. I have had a version of Tektro brakes and I didn't like the feel of them. I eventually did change them out after a year but changing to SwissStop pads did help.
Old 02-21-17, 09:47 PM
arya

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, i just have the same question here.

The Trek Emonda ALR and CAAD12.

the disadvantage is, i have a small body, my height is just 163 cm or 5'4"

I tried the CAAD12, but in my local shop they just have the 48 and 50 size. The 48 is pretty big for me, my seat post and my handle bar is almost the same height.

But, how about the impression of driving the CAAD12 and Trek Emonda ALR? can you describe it to me?
Old 02-21-17, 09:54 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I had to laugh at Emonda heritage. A bike introduced in 2014 hardly has heritage.

CAAD on the otherhand has heritage, introduced around 1992, I don't think anyone is going to argue against Cannondale being pioneers in use of AL in race frames.

Aside from that, I don't think any of us can tell you what you like. Buy what you like. Personally I would be interested in which has most tire clearance and try to ride 28mm tires on 'em for your kind of riding.

From maintenance perspective, I prefer the Emonda. External cable routing, easier to install, replace, and overall smoother. Emonda uses BB86, which is a Shimano standard, easier to source, cheaper to source, etc.

In terms of group, again I prefer the Emonda, I don't care for Cannondale's crank, FSA chainrings, I'm a Shimano fanboy. Never liked FSA/Cannondale cranks, don't like their latest either. Shimano cranks for me, shifting perfection, reliable 24mm steel spindle, stiffest, and to me, best looking cranks.

While I love the idea of CAAD 12, Emonda has the preferred geometry for me. I'm not in the market for a race frame, I have zero interests in crashing in a crit, and having a hospital visit for fractured pelvis and collar. I digress, Emonda looks like it has a overall well balance geometry for comfort and performance. CAAD 12 probably has a more compliant and responsive ride, but I prefer the taller HT and sloping TT of Emonda.

Last edited by zymphad; 02-21-17 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 11:49 PM
arya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So your opinion is I get the most advantage of bike like comfort and performance if I choose the Emonda ALR> Because I like climbing and flat tracks too. And sometime take a long trip with my friends.

But if i have a riding on the flat road all the time and speeding frenzy, i must choose the CAAD12, right?
Old 02-21-17, 11:54 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
They look at the ALR and CAAD. CAAD12 frame is on another level compared to the ALR and almost every other aluminum bike.

Old 02-22-17, 07:17 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by macca33
The CAAD12 is the pick - without doubt...
And why is that?
Old 02-22-17, 07:26 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by arya
So your opinion is I get the most advantage of bike like comfort and performance if I choose the Emonda ALR> Because I like climbing and flat tracks too. And sometime take a long trip with my friends.

But if i have a riding on the flat road all the time and speeding frenzy, i must choose the CAAD12, right?
I'm saying get what you want is most comfortable, I wouldn't focus on which is the fastest. For compliance and comfort, yes CAAD 12 may have a edge, but you can quickly eliminate that with a good choice of tires and right pressure for you. I was saying for me, I'm not that interested for a straight tube geometry like CAAD12, I like the sloped tube, H2 larger headtube design of the Emonda. That would be my choice. I don't ride for competition, it's just to be outside, enjoy cycling, enjoy the views, I don't want to think about lower back ache for that extra bit of aero positioning.

I believe as you get better at cycling, whichever you are most comfortable with, is the bike you will perform the best on. So if the CAAD 12 is most comfortable get it. If Emonda is more comfortable, get it. Whichever makes you want to jump on the bike and go.

Last edited by zymphad; 02-22-17 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 09:17 AM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Having ridden both, the Caad 12 is by far a better ride.
May I also recommend the Fuji Roubaix or the Jamis icon
Old 02-22-17, 10:15 AM
arya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I'm saying get what you want is most comfortable, I wouldn't focus on which is the fastest. For compliance and comfort, yes CAAD 12 may have a edge, but you can quickly eliminate that with a good choice of tires and right pressure for you. I was saying for me, I'm not that interested for a straight tube geometry like CAAD12, I like the sloped tube, H2 larger headtube design of the Emonda. That would be my choice. I don't ride for competition, it's just to be outside, enjoy cycling, enjoy the views, I don't want to think about lower back ache for that extra bit of aero positioning.

I believe as you get better at cycling, whichever you are most comfortable with, is the bike you will perform the best on. So if the CAAD 12 is most comfortable get it. If Emonda is more comfortable, get it. Whichever makes you want to jump on the bike and go.
Okay, i will try that bikes first before i buy it.

I think I will get Emonda ALR instead of CAAD12, because I'm beginner on road bike. I just retired from MTB, and try a new sensation.

Thank you for answering my question.

PS: in my country, it is hard to lending the bike for trial. They afraid if I can't handle the ride. So i just can see and touch. But not ride them unless I already paid that.
Old 02-22-17, 10:17 AM
arya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeracer123
Having ridden both, the Caad 12 is by far a better ride.
May I also recommend the Fuji Roubaix or the Jamis icon
Dan you tell me more about Emonda ALR and CAAD12? Iike a comparison. How anput the stiffness, the handling, the position when on dropbar, and about the acceleration.

Because I'm blind, I can't try them in my country unless I paid first.
Old 02-22-17, 11:02 AM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dan you tell me more about Emonda ALR and CAAD12? Iike a comparison. How anput the stiffness, the handling, the position when on dropbar, and about the acceleration.

The Emonda was a good riding bike but compared to the Caad 12, it just felt sort of boring and not as lively as the Caad.
Old 02-22-17, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Like legally blind? If so, major kudos to you for the perseverance.
Old 02-22-17, 11:34 AM
arya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeracer123
The Emonda was a good riding bike but compared to the Caad 12, it just felt sort of boring and not as lively as the Caad.
Okay. Thank you for your information. It helps me a lot.
Old 02-22-17, 11:36 AM
arya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Like legally blind? If so, major kudos to you for the perseverance.
No, it was just a phrase...
Old 02-22-17, 01:44 PM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is not a direct comparison, but the results of this test are relevant to your inquiry:
Best road bikes under $1000 - BikeRadar USA
Old 02-22-17, 01:49 PM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate to throw a wrench in your process, but if I were in the market for a new bike today, I would wait for the Canyon offerings. Although, will admit you'd be hard to go wrong with your two choices.

PS - I'd also browse the Focus closeouts at adrenalinebikes.com - good bargains to be had there.