Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2017 Raleigh Tamland 1 Bottom Bracket?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 09:35 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

So I recently purchased a 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1 bike. Love it so far. I have a question about the crankset and bottom bracket that somebody here may understand better than I do. The crankset is Samox? taf37 but unlike other major brands like Shimano, FSA, etc. trying to find exact specifications such as torque specs and compatibility it's not easy with Samox.

I was looking at getting a power meter for my bike, specifically a 4iii left crank arm and they specify "These crank arms will fit bottom brackets using the Hollowtech ii interface". The Samox, to my amateur eyes, just looks like a standard shimano type pinch bolt crank arm. It seems like I could just get the 4iii shimano 105 crank arm power meter. I just wasn't sure what the exact bottom bracket on the Tamland is. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-17, 01:30 PM
egear

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are there a set of pinch bolts on the non drive side only? Is there a slot on the side of the crank arm where the pinch bolts are? Most Raleigh's I have seen are a standard 2 piece crank but you don't know the diameter of the
pipe. Let me take a closer look at the specs. Is the bottom bracket external?
Old 02-23-17, 01:33 PM
egear

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Salsa Pistola, Surly 1x1, All-City Nature Boy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just looked at the photos and specs more closely. Yep looks to be a standard Shimano 2 piece crank set with external bearings.
Old 02-23-17, 02:05 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 469 Posts
I can almost guarantee you it is just a Hollowtech II bb and crank, I took mine off the day I got it. That crank is pretty heavy though (820g to be exact). I might switch out the whole thing for a Force22 or Red crank with a 110bcd and use the rings.

Side note: I weighed everything on the bike except the frameset. It's a heavy bike, the wheels are fairly heavy.

Last edited by shoota; 02-23-17 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-23-17, 02:15 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by shoota
I can almost guarantee you it is just a Hollowtech II bb and crank, I took mine off the day I got it. That crank is pretty heavy though (820g to be exact). I might switch out the whole thing for a Force22 or Red crank with a 110bcd and use the rings.

Side note: I weighed everything on the bike except the frameset. It's a heavy bike, the wheels are fairly heavy.

It certainly looked that way but I'm a newb to this stuff.
Old 02-23-17, 02:16 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by egear
I just looked at the photos and specs more closely. Yep looks to be a standard Shimano 2 piece crank set with external bearings.
thanks. that's what it looked like to me.
Old 02-23-17, 02:20 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

yeah. I noticed the weight when I picked up the tamland then picked up my jamis aluminum frame the weight was noticeable. but I'm okay with that. it's a smooth ride and I don't need to be super fast.
Old 02-23-17, 02:22 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by biketampa
yeah. I noticed the weight when I picked up the tamland then picked up my jamis aluminum frame the weight was noticeable. but I'm okay with that. it's a smooth ride and I don't need to be super fast.
It sure is a smooth ride. I'll probably go full WW on it at some point cause I can't leave well enough alone.
Old 02-26-17, 12:48 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

It sure is a smooth ride. I'll probably go full WW on it at some point cause I can't leave well enough alone.
Haha that's understandable. Triathlons got me more into cycling 4 years ago so I understand reducing weight. I'm in flat country so I don't pay as much of a penalty for weight and I'm loving the comfort of the steel frame and cushy wheels. I have an aluminum road bike and as much as I enjoy it, the ride can be a little harsh. It'd be different if I was racing it.
Old 03-02-17, 01:36 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by egear
damn. got the 4iii shimano 105 power meter but the threads to connect to axle do not match. the bb may be hollotech 2 but seems the shimano 105 crank arm can't thread to the existing crankset axle. guess I'll have to figure something else out.
Old 05-16-17, 02:39 PM
TobyID

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy.

Just bumping this to see if there was a final word on the Tamland 1 bracket?

Could it be replaced with a Shimano SM-BBR60 and 105 set?
Old 05-16-17, 02:47 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Since I am looking for some improvements on mine. What would be a mid grade lighter wheel set for this bike. I have read/heard that other wheels are comparable to Heed Belgium now. Does that mean that they are more reasonable in price?

Thanks
Zman
Old 05-16-17, 04:55 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TobyID
Howdy.

I'm almost certain it'll fit. My stuntman BB is an English threaded 68mm shell. I bet yours is too.
Old 05-17-17, 07:15 AM
shoota 

I can almost guarantee you it is just a Hollowtech II bb and crank
I was wrong.

damn. got the 4iii shimano 105 power meter but the threads to connect to axle do not match. the bb may be hollotech 2 but seems the shimano 105 crank arm can't thread to the existing crankset axle. guess I'll have to figure something else out.
Sorry I didn't see this till just now. Did you get it sorted?

Originally Posted by TobyID
Howdy.

Yes, this would be a nice upgrade.

Originally Posted by Zurichman2
Since I am looking for some improvements on mine. What would be a mid grade lighter wheel set for this bike. I have read/heard that other wheels are comparable to Heed Belgium now. Does that mean that they are more reasonable in price?

Thanks
Zman
Stan's Grail Team would be a nice midgrade replacement.
Also, you could hit up this guy: https://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.co...kie_redirect=1

Last edited by shoota; 05-17-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 08:43 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

I got it sorted out. I ordered a shimano 105 crankset. The original crankset was not compatible with the 4iii shimano 105 crankarm.
Old 05-17-17, 08:53 AM
shoota 

I got it sorted out. I ordered a shimano 105 crankset. The original crankset was not compatible with the 4iii shimano 105 crankarm.
Right, the splines are different. Glad you got it sorted. The 105 + BB is lighter too.
I just ordered a Stages DA 9000 crankarm set (no rings) and an Ultegra 46/36 crank. Gonna put the ultegra chainrings on the DA power meter arms
Old 05-17-17, 03:49 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I was wrong.

Stan's Grail Team would be a nice midgrade replacement.
Also, you could hit up this guy: New Gravel Wheels - The Riding Gravel Forum
I guess you are Ted over at gravel grinder who helped Raleigh design this bike. I appreciate that. Since I am the newbie here I am trying to get as much info as I can but I still have a very large learning curve comparing road racing/riding to gravel grinding riding/racing.

So yes I did have a set of what I think was Pacenti or A23 wheels built up with the Sapim Race lite flat blade spokes. No being the techy guy probably didn't spell a few things right. So my question is to get a mid grade wheel built would you use alloy or brass nipples and would you use regular spokes or the Saphim spokes. My concerned if you are out in the boonies somewhere and break a spoke you wouldn't be able to find some unless you carried a few with you since they aren't that heavy.

Any help will be gladly appreciated on helping me get a new wheel set up.

Thanks
Zman
Old 05-18-17, 10:04 AM
shoota 

I guess you are Ted over at gravel grinder who helped Raleigh design this bike. I appreciate that. Since I am the newbie here I am trying to get as much info as I can but I still have a very large learning curve comparing road racing/riding to gravel grinding riding/racing.

So yes I did have a set of what I think was Pacenti or A23 wheels built up with the Sapim Race lite flat blade spokes. No being the techy guy probably didn't spell a few things right. So my question is to get a mid grade wheel built would you use alloy or brass nipples and would you use regular spokes or the Saphim spokes. My concerned if you are out in the boonies somewhere and break a spoke you wouldn't be able to find some unless you carried a few with you since they aren't that heavy.

Any help will be gladly appreciated on helping me get a new wheel set up.

Thanks
Zman
Negative, I am not Ted.

So what happened to the Pacenti/A23 wheels you had? Those would be a nice midgrade wheelset.
I always go with brass nipples given the choice. I'm not a heavy rider and road wheels aren't as hard on nipples/spokes as gravel yet I would snap alloy nipples way too often on a set of wheels I had. So much so I had both wheels rebuilt with brass nipples. Alloy nipples aren't worth the weight savings in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about the spokes nearly as much.
Old 05-18-17, 02:41 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Negative, I am not Ted.

So what happened to the Pacenti/A23 wheels you had? Those would be a nice mid grade wheel set.
I always go with brass nipples given the choice. I'm not a heavy rider and road wheels aren't as hard on nipples/spokes as gravel yet I would snap alloy nipples way too often on a set of wheels I had. So much so I had both wheels rebuilt with brass nipples. Alloy nipples aren't worth the weight savings in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about the spokes nearly as much.
I guess I should have noticed that since you are from Tampa FL. and he is from Kansas if my memory is right. That set of wheels is set up for my race bike when I want to go fast and so I wouldn't want to switch them over to gravel grinding. I am lowest @ 180 - 185 and highest @ 195 - 200 lbs. I guess I have all winter to figure out what set of wheels I want to get lined up.

Thanks
Zman
Old 05-18-17, 04:08 PM
shoota 

I guess I should have noticed that since you are from Tampa FL. and he is from Kansas if my memory is right. That set of wheels is set up for my race bike when I want to go fast and so I wouldn't want to switch them over to gravel grinding. I am lowest @ 180 - 185 and highest @ 195 - 200 lbs. I guess I have all winter to figure out what set of wheels I want to get lined up.

Thanks
Zman
He's from Iowa.

I guess the first thing you need to decide is what your budget is and go from there. How much do you want to spend?
Old 05-18-17, 05:21 PM
Zurichman2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
He's from Iowa.

I guess the first thing you need to decide is what your budget is and go from there. How much do you want to spend?

I am out of my league here so I am not sure. I don't know what an expensive set costs, but I know I probably want a medium price set done. I trust my local LBS that I go to. He said another local wheel builder that has been building wheel probably for 20+ years is really good. So much so that instead of him ordering wheels from other places he has this guy build wheels up for his shop. That tells me that the guy is a pretty good wheel builder. So if I could decide on what kind of rims to use and spoke design along with brass nipples he probably would be my best source for a wheel build. My LBS says he builds wheels for a guy that does a kind of a local gravel grinding ride in WV called the Hilly Billy or the Hilly Billy Roubaix so that should work for me.

I saw somewhere on another thread that the Heed Belgium wheels were kind of pioneers in some off road wheel building rims but now other companies have caught up with them. My trouble is I don't know enough to know what companies have moved up the list to know what is the best bang for my buck.

I guess my gut reaction would be that I would luv to get a set of wheels built in the $500 - $600 range. That being said I don't know how much of an upgrade that would be from the set of wheels I currently have on my bike. I know I can always use another set of wheels to another bike if I really like the sport. Who knows if I really like the Sport I might sell my Tamland 1 and buy some kind of a carbon gravel grinding bike.

I will know a little bit more about how much I like it after my first ride this weekend the Farmer's Daughter.

Thanks for any and all help.
Zman
Old 05-18-17, 07:07 PM
shoota 

I am out of my league here so I am not sure. I don't know what an expensive set costs, but I know I probably want a medium price set done. I trust my local LBS that I go to. He said another local wheel builder that has been building wheel probably for 20+ years is really good. So much so that instead of him ordering wheels from other places he has this guy build wheels up for his shop. That tells me that the guy is a pretty good wheel builder. So if I could decide on what kind of rims to use and spoke design along with brass nipples he probably would be my best source for a wheel build. My LBS says he builds wheels for a guy that does a kind of a local gravel grinding ride in WV called the Hilly Billy or the Hilly Billy Roubaix so that should work for me.

I saw somewhere on another thread that the Heed Belgium wheels were kind of pioneers in some off road wheel building rims but now other companies have caught up with them. My trouble is I don't know enough to know what companies have moved up the list to know what is the best bang for my buck.

I guess my gut reaction would be that I would luv to get a set of wheels built in the $500 - $600 range. That being said I don't know how much of an upgrade that would be from the set of wheels I currently have on my bike. I know I can always use another set of wheels to another bike if I really like the sport. Who knows if I really like the Sport I might sell my Tamland 1 and buy some kind of a carbon gravel grinding bike.

I will know a little bit more about how much I like it after my first ride this weekend the Farmer's Daughter.

Thanks for any and all help.
Zman
Well it seems to me that alot of people are using rims like A23, Pacenti (of some flavor, not sure), American Classic MTB Race (just got mine today, CRAZY light), and of course Stan's of whatever flavor suits their weight. HED builds quality stuff as well, but they are pricey. I don't see why you couldn't get a really decent tubeless wheelset for $500-600.
Old 05-23-17, 09:09 AM
oscar2233

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking about getting a Tamland 1 now too and wondered which BB you got to make the 105 crank fit. did you change the cassette too?
Old 05-23-17, 09:25 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by oscar2233
I am thinking about getting a Tamland 1 now too and wondered which BB you got to make the 105 crank fit. did you change the cassette too?
Any Hollowtech English bb will do just fine.

Like so: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...||prd|389530US
Old 05-23-17, 02:44 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by oscar2233
The BB wasn't actually changed. The 105 crankset worked with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.