Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Advice for car-replacement bike

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Advice for car-replacement bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 01:52 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It does seem like I should consider something with wider tires so that it can perform commuting functions in both the summer and the winter in Chicago. Its not as pretty to look at but what do you all think of this Breezer Uptown 8? It has the same 8 speed internal hub but with better tires, a full chain case, dyno, and lights front/rear for just a little bit more $$$. It has runs wider 26inch wheels so I could use the snow tires I already have. The frame is AL which is not my first choice but make sense if I want to stave off corrosion on salty roads.

Breezer Uptown 8 City Bike - 2016
Old 03-03-17, 01:12 AM
acorn54

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my two cents. i have a fuji absolute 5.0 hybrid 700c tires. i just bought a haymaker 1000 mountain bike. firstly wheels that come with low end bikes, EXCEPT for mountain bikes do not last long before problems with the wheels occur such as breaking spokes or the wheels going out of true. secondly the 2 inch tires on my haymaker give me peace of mind for being much more stable with their bigger footprint. and thirdly the front suspension adjusted for sag, only, makes riding over rough roads much more tolerable.
so that's my suggestion, from someone who has been living carfree since the 90's. also i HIGHLY recommend watching martin horn's youtube bike videos aka "funzie", who gives the poop on economical bikes and what to look for to get the biggest bang for your buck.
Old 03-03-17, 04:03 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn54
my two cents. i have a fuji absolute 5.0 hybrid 700c tires. i just bought a haymaker 1000 mountain bike. firstly wheels that come with low end bikes, EXCEPT for mountain bikes do not last long before problems with the wheels occur such as breaking spokes or the wheels going out of true. secondly the 2 inch tires on my haymaker give me peace of mind for being much more stable with their bigger footprint. and thirdly the front suspension adjusted for sag, only, makes riding over rough roads much more tolerable.
so that's my suggestion, from someone who has been living carfree since the 90's. also i HIGHLY recommend watching martin horn's youtube bike videos aka "funzie", who gives the poop on economical bikes and what to look for to get the biggest bang for your buck.
That link isnt working. Can you try posting it again? Also, what do you think of the Breezer I posted above? I think its much higher quality and would work better for me in Chicago.
Old 03-03-17, 04:47 AM
acorn54

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeppinger
That link isnt working. Can you try posting it again? Also, what do you think of the Breezer I posted above? I think its much higher quality and would work better for me in Chicago.
there are a few here is the bike i purchased you should get a good idea of what makes a good tough bike at mimimal cost
i will take a look see at the beezer you mention and get back to you

here's the link

Old 03-03-17, 05:20 AM
acorn54

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
looked over specs and description. some unanswered questions. 1-front light VERY important to have adaquate light for the early darkness of winter, being on the roads during rush hour, leaving work. i had to fork out 70 bucks for a front headlight, a 950 lumens nightrider. it has the brightness equivalent to that of approximately a motorcycle headlight.
ask the seller about the brightness of that light on the breezer. secondly i see it does not have disc brakes, for non-disc brakes must have the best brake pads. no big deal just have to know what works in wet weather. the brake pads of choice are the KOOL STOP salmon. they will serve you well. the bike has double wall wheels -good that means it has alot of metal on them.36 spokes, the bike has tough wheels.. it looks like it has a sturdy rack. i had to shell out 55 bucks for a topeak rack so, if that rack is as tough as it looks, your getting a good one. the bike also has a protective cover so your pants don't get caught in the chain ring and the derailleur won't get bent, if it crashes into any thing or falls to the pavement.
i didn't realize you had 600+ in your budget for a bike, in my opinion IF you are getting a sturdy tough bright front light, and IF the rack is as tough as it looks it is as good a commuter bike as i have seen, ready to ride out of the box.
Old 03-07-17, 04:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,358 Times in 864 Posts
Long John Type ? load is low , in front , front wheel turns with a commecting rod..

Harry vs Larry Bullit.. is in heat treated aluminum , CETMA and Human Powered Machines is Steel.