Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does "on your left" mean "move out of my way"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does "on your left" mean "move out of my way"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,297 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Interesting takes on this. Let's add some context.

Say you are at the beginning of a sanctioned t-shirt ride on a two lane, black top, country road where 1,500 cyclists are filling up the right lane. No traffic as far as the eye can see in the left lane, but the majority of the cyclists are staying in the right lane as a matter of habit.

At that point, you are riding and hear, "on your left" from behind you. There are two cyclists to your right already, with more in front and behind to the right as well.

At that point, what does "on your left" mean to you?
In that instance, I would take it as a warning from the overtaking rider that they were about to pass. It's a just a heads up to the rider being overtaken that someone is passing you. I don't take it to mean "move over! I'm passing!" nor would I move towards the riders that I'm passing. Yes, some people can be jerks about it but some people are just jerks in general.

For me, when I use "on your left" or hear it, it means to the person...pedestrian or bicyclists or horse rider or, on rare occasion, kayaker...that I am overtaking "Please don't do anything stupid and reel in your damned dog and corral your kids and try to walk and chew gum like a coordinated person so that I can get past you without either of us ending up in the hospital!" That's a bit long to say so "on your right" is the short declarative statement to cover that.

Frankly, I'd even rather have some jerk yell "on your right!" as a demand that I move over than have them try to pass me on the right which is something that happens with regularity on the rare occasions that I attend an event with 1500 bicyclists.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-10-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 08:40 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Ah, so next time I ride, I'll blast out The Planets, suite for orchestra & female chorus, Op. 32, H. 125- Mars - The Bringer of War then. One of my favourite pieces of tasteful music!

Gustav Holst? That works!

Here are two more:

Ride of the Valkyries - Wagner
Carmina Burana - Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (Introduction) - Carl Orff <--- This, I think, would be very effective
Old 04-10-17, 09:17 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do get the language barrier issue but it's been my experience it's the English as the only language crowd that struggles with this. These are the same crowd that have to walk right next to each other even if it means blocking the entire path. It's the same argument they have about cyclist being self absorbed.
I ride on the road as much as possible but that's not an area of wide acceptance either. People feel safer walking into traffic on the side of the road despite the huge investment in side walks the city county and state have made. Just a thought but why would any one take a baby barely capable of walking and set them loose on a MUP. Forget the cyclists but the dog owners that feel it's a dog park with no leash requirements or inattentive skate boarders etc. The biggest problem with MUP's is the lack of common sense.
Seriously it's just best to silently go by because any effort to announce a presence is taken as hostile.
Old 04-10-17, 09:39 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Nope.

It means ... "Hold your line. Don't move. Please don't move.

^This and only this. "On your left" means "hold your line". Don't fret. Don't look around. Don't wibble/wobble.

Now, if a skilled rider would like to drift ~8 inches to the right to acknowledge the pass, that'd be great. But it's not really necessary. Simply hold the line you're on.
Old 04-10-17, 09:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Interesting takes on this. Let's add some context.

Say you are at the beginning of a sanctioned t-shirt ride on a two lane, black top, country road where 1,500 cyclists are filling up the right lane. No traffic as far as the eye can see in the left lane, but the majority of the cyclists are staying in the right lane as a matter of habit.

At that point, you are riding and hear, "on your left" from behind you. There are two cyclists to your right already, with more in front and behind to the right as well.

At that point, what does "on your left" mean to you?
Yikes, @jarrett2. Why am I in this ride again?

A t-shirt ride is best approached like a family sporting event, with a ton of caution and an equal portion of humor. In this case, don't do anything except move your left fingers slightly to acknowledge that you heard the person. Hold your line.
Old 04-10-17, 10:11 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Are you trying to say you don't wave????

😎
Only when I'm on your left.
Old 04-10-17, 10:15 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Only when I'm on your left.
That was a close call! Make sure to wave really loud when you are on my left!
Old 04-10-17, 11:09 AM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I say, "Coming by on your left" in a normal tone--I am not going fast while passing, so no need to scream.

[Rant]However, yesterday I came up on what seemed like a mother with her daughter of 11 or 12. They had a bike parked in the right-hand lane and were facing each other in the left lane while holding some conversation. At about 40 feet or so I started slowing down (below 10 mph), and I asked them to let me through. The mother moved off the trail, but the daughter turned to me, spread her feet wide apart and started drinking from her water bottle. At 15 feet I brake some more and yell at her, "Don't just stand there." (I did not append idiot, though my tone of voice must have conveyed that message.) As I pass them, her mother harrumphs me. Not to sidetrack the discussion, but it reminds me of parents who want to fight with teachers and school officials for trying to correct their wayward children. In my day, you know back in the antediluvian age, a child could expect their parents to further scold/punish them not defend their misbegotten ways.[/Rant]
Old 04-10-17, 11:27 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
In cycling tradition, "on your left" is simply a warning that means I am about to pass you on your left. It does not mean "get out of my way", nor does it imply any malice. It is a courtesy like a turn signal. If you are a cyclist, know what it means. Frankly I always thought it was a bit obnoxious, but it is a cycling convention nonetheless.

Pedestrians should not be expected to be anything but confused by someone yelling "on your left". I find the traditional bicycle bell to be the most useful signal by far. Short of a bell, I have found imitating a car horn and voicing "meep, meep" (like the roadrunner) to be nearly as effective. It has to be done in a friendly way though, and of course some people will not want to act that foolishly. Lastly, simply saying "coming through" or the like in a clear normal voice works pretty well. Most people will figure out how to get out of the or at least hold their line.
Old 04-10-17, 11:35 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 2,071 Posts
346.803 Riding bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device on bicycle way. 346.803(1)(1) Every person operating a bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device upon a bicycle way shall:
346.803(1)(a)(a) Exercise due care and give an audible signal when passing a bicycle or electric personal assistive mobility device rider or a pedestrian proceeding in the same direction.
Old 04-10-17, 11:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
That was a close call! Make sure to wave really loud when you are on my left!
Is the amplitude of a wave determined by the rate of oscillation, or the spatial displacement of the extremity? How about for finger waves?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-10-17 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 12:21 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Is the amplitude of a wave determined by the rate of oscillation, or the spatial displacement of the extremity? How about for finger waves?
Some folks wave vigorously, yet do not appear pleased🙃
Old 04-10-17, 12:27 PM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My experience with "on your left" has been about 50/50. Sometimes the people look back over their left shoulder and everything is fine. But sometimes they dart left first (since that's what they heard, "left?") and then dart to the right quickly. Very dangerous.

So I usually slow way down and just go around them on their left with many feet of distance between. And always say hi when I'm passing.

When I'm with the kids, it's easier. We're all so loud together that everyone hears us coming.
Old 04-10-17, 04:52 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, so next time I ride, I'll blast out The Planets, suite for orchestra & female chorus, Op. 32, H. 125- Mars - The Bringer of War then. One of my favourite pieces of tasteful music!
That or Wagner should get your point across!

Anyways, our MUP is, I think, about 10' wide, so plenty of room for passing. I've never had an issue with another cyclist, but, one with pedestrians. I called "On your left", which, somehow translated to "Hey, the four of you! Run zig-zagged all over the place!" My road ram did ram somebody that day, she moved right into my line that they all saw. The end result was me getting off the ground with some skewed handlebars and a scuffed up, bleeding right shin from running into the burm. I stood up, wiped the mess off my leg and straightened the bars whilst saying "I meant your other left."

Ever since I always slow way down and announce, "Coming around your left." And all I've gotten is gratefullness since.

I think the lesson is to take the Doppler Effect into consideration when yelling while moving.
Old 04-10-17, 05:20 PM
StoneFence

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It means stay on your line, I'm passing.

I was on the MUP today for the first time. It was way busier than I expected. I used "On your left"a bunch of times. I announced my presence to a group of 4, walking 2 abreast. 3 of them heard me and the 4th was very startled as I passed.

Last edited by StoneFence; 04-10-17 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 04-11-17, 05:39 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Hollering "on your left" will cause the pedestrian or cyclists to be surprised and jump in a random direction in front of you. This is a much better situation than to simply pass them, causing them to be surprised and jump in a random direction behind you.
Old 04-11-17, 06:25 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
My experience with "on your left" has been about 50/50. Sometimes the people look back over their left shoulder and everything is fine. But sometimes they dart left first (since that's what they heard, "left?") and then dart to the right quickly. Very dangerous.

So I usually slow way down and just go around them on their left with many feet of distance between. And always say hi when I'm passing.

When I'm with the kids, it's easier. We're all so loud together that everyone hears us coming.
It really took me years to get used to the "mumble mumble . . . LEFT!" that is so commonly used on trails to mean "don't go left." In most other environments "LEFT!" indicates to move left quickly. The choice to use this in the exact opposite as it is used elsewhere is not a great idea.

Instead of shouting "LEFT!" at people in the hope that they would understand that this means "Don't go left" I just say "passing." It seems to work better.

The dumbest one was on a MUP when a TdF'er shouted "LEFT!" as he squeezed between me and oncoming cyclists as I was approaching a pedestrian (who the TdF'er also shouted "LEFT!" at when he got to her. .. guess what, she hopped left, causing a near pile up a the TdF'er veered into the oncoming cyclists . . . I don't doubt for a minute that the TdF'er felt that the pedestrian was at fault). Fortunately, I have a mirror, so I was expecting him.
Old 04-11-17, 09:13 AM
morfeeis

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have started to use "passing on your left" this more clearly states what i am doing and isn't as "inside baseball" as "on your left".
Old 04-11-17, 09:14 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does "on your left" mean "move out of my way" instead?

No.
Old 04-11-17, 09:43 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
In cycling tradition, "on your left" is simply a warning that means I am about to pass you on your left. It does not mean "get out of my way", nor does it imply any malice. It is a courtesy like a turn signal. If you are a cyclist, know what it means. Frankly I always thought it was a bit obnoxious, but it is a cycling convention nonetheless.

It's a convention in certain circles of cycling. Racing, and fast training rides no one says "on your left" (it's not necessary, and would only be an invitation for the other rider to close the door on you).

More casual cyclists, tend to be more friendly saying things like "hello"

It's only a convention amongst "serious cyclists."
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-11-17, 10:22 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its getting warmer again so its time slalom around all the people walking sheepishly around on the bikepaths, with a COMPLETELY EMPTY SIDEWALK NEXT TO IT

selfentitled ****s
Old 04-11-17, 10:35 AM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always liked the bell. Ding ding, bicycles don't talk so it throws them off. Incredabell seems to have a not threating effect on walkers cant guarantee on dogs though.
Old 04-11-17, 12:41 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Gustav Holst? That works!

Here are two more:

Ride of the Valkyries - Wagner
Carmina Burana - Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi (Introduction) - Carl Orff <--- This, I think, would be very effective
Tasteful? Van Halen, Running with the devil, ACDC, Hells bells. Way loud.
Old 04-11-17, 12:43 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
My technique? Ring bell a ways back, then a loud" passing left" gives a clear indication of A, a bike, B, your intention.
Old 04-11-17, 02:46 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
It's a convention in certain circles of cycling. Racing, and fast training rides no one says "on your left" (it's not necessary, and would only be an invitation for the other rider to close the door on you).

More casual cyclists, tend to be more friendly saying things like "hello"

It's only a convention amongst "serious cyclists."
Sure, of course you wouldn't say that in a race, agree 100%. And if you said it in a paceline on a hard training ride, you'd probably get yelled at and/or intentionally dropped.

I didn't say I liked it, only that it was a convention. I don't use it myself except very rarely when passing lycra clad cyclists on a bike path - and then only if they seem to lack situational awareness. "Hello" or "Good Morning" is much better.

You know I'm not sure when it even started. 90's? People didn't say it when I first got into cycling around 1980.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.