Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with first fixie purchase

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help with first fixie purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 10:59 PM
QStorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, NormanF! I'm glad to see someone else agrees with me about the Fairdale Flyer being a really cool, practical bike. Actually though, when SquidPuppet made his observation about it being sort of a mediocre bike for the money, it made me realize some things about why I recommended it. Specifically, that even when sometimes you try to take yourself out of the situation and think like someone else (What sort of bike would fit the OP's stated purposes and preferences best? What sort of bike would he like?), sometimes your personal biases creep in anyway.

For example, I am Athena (i.e., a heavyweight rider) so some of the things that people see as negatives (e.g., the frame being extra durable, a 36 spoke wheelset on beefy looking rims, pretty much indestructible cranks), I see as good things. Even when trying to step outside of myself and recommend a bike for the OP, who I assume is hwp (as most people are), I could not help but to see things through my own lenses, so to speak. Bias sneaks in in the strangest places, I guess

That being said, I do think that the Fairdale Flyer is a good practical bike even for the money for certain people and certain purposes (The Swobo Accomplice, however, I believe is probably a better fit for the OP and definitely a better price and hopefully he comes back and updates us on how it's working out). The Flyer, though, is kind of a mix of a mountain and BMX bike and in that way I guess would be a hybrid. If you're the type of BMX rider that wants something with a bit bigger wheels and would like to actually ride around From point A to point B and possibly some trails but, be able to do small to medium jumps or whatever else, this might really fit the bill. I also think would also be an excellent bike for someone, as I've indicated before, who is a bit on the heavy side... Or possibly for kind of a communal bike (basically a lot of riders none of which who are going to really maintain it).

Kinda got to waxin' philosophical in my hundredth post here. Lol
Old 04-22-17, 08:19 AM
labcoat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you want something a cyclocross geometry. All City Nature boy is an other I didn't see listed.

Nashbar makes a Single-Speed Cyclocross Bike that is Chromoly and cheep
Old 04-22-17, 09:57 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two people have said it now, and it's wrong. Hi-Ten isn't stronger.

Edit:

Also, it's been discussed ad-infinitum on Bikeforums.

Last edited by JeremyLC; 04-22-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 10:58 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by QStorm
. Bias sneaks in in the strangest places, I guess
My bike frames are entry level junkers. All of them. I put nice components on them, but I know what they really are. Nicely decorated gas pipes.

The Fairdale Flyer is an entry level junker with no-name cheap components. Is it a cool bike? For people who like that style and want to use it for what it was designed for, you bet it's cool. I think it's a really cool bike too. Is it a $469.00 bike? No. It shouldn't sell for even half that.
Old 04-22-17, 07:39 PM
QStorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
My bike frames are entry level junkers. All of them. I put nice components on them, but I know what they really are. Nicely decorated gas pipes.

The Fairdale Flyer is an entry level junker with no-name cheap components. Is it a cool bike? For people who like that style and want to use it for what it was designed for, you bet it's cool. I think it's a really cool bike too. Is it a $469.00 bike? No. It shouldn't sell for even half that.
Ahh, bias...

I strongly suspect that you are not a BMX rider or aficionado of that scene (spoiler alert: I'm not either). But even to my quick research, the Fairdale Flyer seems to be firmly in the price range of brand new 26 wheel BMX single speed bikes ($360-$600). You don't have to believe me, do your own research on the matter and you'll see that that really is the range. Now, whether you or I would pay that for that type of bike is completely immaterial. (Side note: I actually became aware of the Flyer when I was looking on the Fairdale site for the Parser which they no longer seem to make as a frameset or bike which was more what I was personally looking for. FWIW, I don't know if I'm unlucky or simply weird in what I like in bikes but, that seems to happen to me quite a bit... anybody remember the Pake C'mute or GT Gutterball, just to name a couple?)

As for your 'nicely decorated gas pipe' cycles, I did take a gander at your builds over on your pedal room page and I'm sure if I had been a member I would have left you a comment saying "beautiful builds" or "great bikes" because I really like them. But, if we're being fair here, brand new always cost more than you would pay for something similarly or even better spec'd used. That is the nature of the beast. Also, if you have a deep parts bin, or make some good trades or acquisitions of parts, you can build the same or better quality of bicycle as you can get for new for much, much cheaper. For example of the used thing, there is a Shogun (fully tange frame set and what looks like quality parts) single speed conversion bike on my local CL For $50 (see link below). I would argue this bike especially after a tune-up or something would be just as good if not better quality than the Fuji Feather which people recommend as a good buy for a brand new chromoly bike.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/bik/6092645028.html

Originally Posted by JeremyLC
Two people have said it now, and it's wrong. Hi-Ten isn't stronger.

Edit:

Also, it's been discussed ad-infinitum on Bikeforums.
I think I am one of the two people to whom you are referring to and if so, you have me all wrong (probably because I've been somewhat unclear). Let me go ahead and clear it up. What I actually said was that the frame on the Fairdale Flyer seemed extra durable. Not that it was extra durable because it is hi ten and not chromoly.

I know that one of the reasons that chromoly is a superior grade of steel to high ten is because it is stronger per ounce whatever measurement then high ten steel is so this means you need less of it and the bike is less heavy to make the same strength of bike. I said it looked extra durable because of the somewhat large diameter of the tubing and the BMX style in which it is constructed and not because it is high tensile as opposed to chromoly.

Last edited by QStorm; 04-22-17 at 07:43 PM. Reason: I put a quote in the wrong place
Old 04-22-17, 08:34 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QStorm
Ahh, bias...

I strongly suspect that you are not a BMX rider or aficionado of that scene (spoiler alert: I'm not either). But even to my quick research, the Fairdale Flyer seems to be firmly in the price range of brand new 26 wheel BMX single speed bikes ($360-$600). You don't have to believe me, do your own research on the matter and you'll see that that really is the range. ...
It's in the price range of better bikes than itself, yes. That's the bone being picked here. They want $469 for Hi-Ten steel with bottom of the barrel no-name parts.

For comparison

This is Cr-Mo and $259.99

This is Alumnium, has discs, and is $429.99

This one Is Hi-Ten, but it only costs $209.

Those are from the same retailer. It shouldn't be difficult to find more.

Sure, the Flyer looks fun, but it's way overpriced for what it is.
Old 04-22-17, 08:54 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
It's in the price range of better bikes than itself, yes. That's the bone being picked here. They want $469 for Hi-Ten steel with bottom of the barrel no-name parts.

For comparison

This is Cr-Mo and $259.99

This is Alumnium, has discs, and is $429.99

This one Is Hi-Ten, but it only costs $209.

Those are from the same retailer. It shouldn't be difficult to find more.

Sure, the Flyer looks fun, but it's way overpriced for what it is.
Thank you.

$105.00

Old 04-22-17, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4453 Post(s)
Liked 4,117 Times in 2,749 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
I agree if it was a Wallyworld bike, it wouldn't be worth it.

The hi-ten steel frame is a heritage of the BMX world where frame strength is more important than lightness.

I suspect with those massive tires, riders are going to take it off-road.

People used SS klunkers back in the Repack days and they originally had hi-ten steel frames.
It doesn't have to come from Wally-Mart to be crap I have seen and sometimes had to sell bikes that were total crap and I have never in my life worked at a big box store or anything beyond a small local chain.

I am not sure that hi-ten is stronger than Cromoly. I don't believe it so just because it is heavier, heavier isn't always stronger. Klunkers were a different era and those folks eventually all made the switch to nicer bikes with some better components and eventually led to the hi-tech (not ten) mountain bikes we had today. I have a ton of respect for those guys and sure they pushed bikes beyond limits.

Though none of this addresses what I said about the bike not being premium. The bike is a cheap bike, it may be kind of neat but it is a cheap bike with cheap parts and has some decent tires that are the only things that look "premium" to me. Sure Fairdale has some interesting bikes and this one isn't a bad concept but the bike is not premium