Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Padding in shorts. Why not in the saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Padding in shorts. Why not in the saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 07:04 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
First of all, let's talk about padded shorts vs padded saddles. Really, whatever works for you is fine and dandy. Life is too short to worry about it.

We have to consider the quality of the rider here. I am about as low as it gets as far as climbing ability. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Heck, I might have to go up a cog just to get over a speed bump in the parking lot. Where others see a mole hill, I see a mountain.

The chain dropping and poor reactions are from other riders. I see it every year at the same place on the same ride. It could be rider/route inexperience there. Nice fun rolling descent, then a 90 degree right to an immediate out of the saddle to start up the hill. After that turn, you are barely moving. People look up and start going through the gears. If they haven't got to the gear they need it about 5 or 10 yards, it is too late. They try to stand and grind it out, but momentum is gone and they fall over.(after a few front wheel waggles) 2 years in a row my rear axle slipped in the dropout at the start of that grind. I finally wised up and always make it extra tight before we start going down the hill before that turn.
Are you talking about horizontal dropouts? I have never had a wheel shift in vertical dropouts.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-05-17, 07:42 PM
HTupolev

Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That's dumb.
Normally I'd agree, but if it matches the riding you're doing, why?

Are you talking about horizontal dropouts?
Seypat is using downtube shifters. Most bikes with downtube shifters are vintage steel. Nearly all vintage steel uses horizontal dropouts.

So, probably.
Old 05-05-17, 08:29 PM
seypat

Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
Yes to old steel and horizontal dropouts. No to downtube shifters. I much prefer bar ends to downtube shifters. I have big guads and beefy forearms. There is not enough room there to shift a DT. I have to stop pedaling, splay the legs out and try to get an arm in there. That's when it gets squirrely.
Old 05-06-17, 06:04 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
And yet back in the day we had neither much padding in the shorts or the saddle and glory be, we thought we were comfortable. How silly of us.
I imagine you could go back far enough on many things, but at the end of the day, you have to appreciate it when something good comes along, like padded cycling shorts. Ah, it's about the little things in life, haha
It's only silly when people refuse to give something consideration and suffer because of it. Not all mousetraps are better, but many are!
Old 05-06-17, 06:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Yes to old steel and horizontal dropouts. No to downtube shifters. I much prefer bar ends to downtube shifters. I have big guads and beefy forearms. There is not enough room there to shift a DT. I have to stop pedaling, splay the legs out and try to get an arm in there. That's when it gets squirrely.
What kind of skewers? External cam or internal cam. Most folks avoid the problem with old-fashioned internal cam skewers. And as said above, the skewers should always be tight enough for the most severe use.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-06-17, 06:49 AM
Costco hot dogs

Bikes: I got 'em.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemme get this right, "I'm too ripped to use downtube shifters"?
Old 05-06-17, 07:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco hot dogs
...but without the guads to torque through the slow gear changes of STIs.
Old 05-06-17, 07:02 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by NYMXer
I imagine you could go back far enough on many things, but at the end of the day, you have to appreciate it when something good comes along, like padded cycling shorts. Ah, it's about the little things in life, haha
It's only silly when people refuse to give something consideration and suffer because of it. Not all mousetraps are better, but many are!
True, but many, many cyclists find that padded shorts and heavily padded saddles are counter-productive. It isn't stubbornness, it is trial and error.

In case you don't remember, before internet forums you never heard anybody complaining about bike comfort, and it wasn't because of steel frames, I assure you. Many of those were just as uncomfortable as anything ever made. No, it was because they knew how to ride a bike. I cannot remember a riding buddy ever saying that his ass hurt or he was tired out by the beating he was taking. And guess what, that was on 19 mm tires inflated to 120 or more pounds. No carbon, no laterally stiff but vertically compliant BS. Carbon and Ti frames, heck even aluminum, are so much more comfortable now than anything we had back then, and that doesn't even begin to take into account the wide tires, low pressures, carbon rims, carbon seat posts, carbon saddle rails, carbon handlebars, etc. So all this talk about needing heavily padded shorts and/or saddles is just comical. And get off my lawn, dammit!!!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 05-06-17, 08:47 AM
herbincj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
years ago I made the mistake of buying some "mountain biking" shorts with a built-in padded liner (remember old swimsuits???). anyway, I wore the shorts a grand total of about 200 yards, turned around, came right back home and into the trash they went. it was like (I imagine!) wearing a diaper with a full load.
Yeah, me too.
Old 05-06-17, 01:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,460 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
years ago I made the mistake of buying some "mountain biking" shorts with a built-in padded liner (remember old swimsuits???). anyway, I wore the shorts a grand total of about 200 yards, turned around, came right back home and into the trash they went. it was like (I imagine!) wearing a diaper with a full load.
"Like sitting on a bag full of snot" is how one of my co-workers described it.
Old 05-06-17, 04:48 PM
seypat

Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
...but without the guads to torque through the slow gear changes of STIs.
Well, I had this long, detailed(boring) reply written out. Hit the wrong button and lost it all. Probably a good thing.

Summary: Compared my body size/build/makeup to Mark Cavendish + 45-50lbs. Even at the weight/fitness I played basketball in college 30 years ago, too bulky/heavy/wrong type of muscles to be a decent endurance athlete. Yada yada. It causes cramping problems on distance events throughout the body including the muscles controlling the STI levers and that's why I use friction. Blah, Blah, Blah.

It also included a great story about females applying body numbers at dus/tris copping a feel on my arms/legs and getting caught by my wife. I included that so you wouldn't think I was blowing smoke about being "ripped" or big gauds. That was lost also. It's a good story, and it gets better every time I tell it! It's a lot better than talking about padding in shorts/saddles and STI/friction.
Old 05-06-17, 05:47 PM
Costco hot dogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I had this long, detailed(boring) reply written out. Hit the wrong button and lost it all. Probably a good thing.

Summary: Compared my body size/build/makeup to Mark Cavendish + 45-50lbs. Even at the weight/fitness I played basketball in college 30 years ago, too bulky/heavy/wrong type of muscles to be a decent endurance athlete. Yada yada. It causes cramping problems on distance events throughout the body including the muscles controlling the STI levers and that's why I use friction. Blah, Blah, Blah.

It also included a great story about females applying body numbers at dus/tris copping a feel on my arms/legs and getting caught by my wife. I included that so you wouldn't think I was blowing smoke about being "ripped" or big gauds. That was lost also. It's a good story, and it gets better every time I tell it! It's a lot better than talking about padding in shorts/saddles and STI/friction.
what are guads?
Old 05-06-17, 06:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,185 Times in 4,255 Posts
what are guads?
41-speak for quadriceps muscles in legs.

Before you ask, 41 is this forum.
Old 05-06-17, 06:02 PM
Costco hot dogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
41-speak for quadriceps muscles in legs.

Before you ask, 41 is this forum.
sarcasm, i was using it.
Old 05-06-17, 06:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,185 Times in 4,255 Posts
sarcasm, i was using it.
I missed it. Not the first time.
Old 05-06-17, 06:12 PM
Costco hot dogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I missed it. Not the first time.
sarcasm is much like padding in cycling bibs. Sometimes it's only applied lightly, and often some question whether it's in the right place.
Old 05-06-17, 09:07 PM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
sarcasm is much like padding in cycling bibs. Sometimes it's only applied lightly, and often some question whether it's in the right place.

Sarcasm will work better later, with a higher post count.
Old 05-07-17, 04:12 AM
southpier

Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
BAM!!!

woodcraft for the win!

of course the judges padded his scrorecard just a bit...
Old 05-07-17, 04:23 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Did you even stop to think before replying or was it just the the expected knee jerk reactions? Im guessing the latter.

I really dont care for your snarky replys. Moving on ...
" I haven't tested any of this, just wanted to test the waters and hear what ppl had to say? "

Interesting, I find that asking for advice and then arguing with those offering it at my request is somewhat counterproductive. But that's just me....
Old 05-08-17, 05:10 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Its like work pants with padded knees. Sitting on you knees on a hard floor is immediately uncomfortable because pressure is concentrated to a small spot, but Sliding 1/2 an inch hard foam under you knees instantly releaves the pain. To my mind this i no different than sitting directly on a hard surface with your sit bones. I get that if a saddle i very thick and soft you may "sink in" and move the pressure to the perineum, but Im guessing that is the reason many saddles now come with cutouts to prevent this from happening.

Having more padding in the saddle and none in the pants seem, to me, like the best solution to get rid of heat and wick away sweat that otherwise softens the skin. Just like any other sports garment I can think of.

Since this is pages and pages old...there are padded saddles. Some ridiculously so. Even tri seats have more padding (mostly in the nose) because tri shorts have less so you can swim in them.

That being said...the padded seat (as has been mentioned ad nauseum) does not conform to your body. The padded short will.

I did not read all the posts...but the smaller harder seat is done that way for pedaling efficiency, too. Bouncing up and down, even slightly takes away from pedaling efficiency.

So...that's why they make all those seats. And that thin nose on a road seat is done that way for a reason, too.

There are padded road seats.