Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What's worth the distance, car-free?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 10:41 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

What kinds of things are too far to be worth the time and effort of the bike ride, or transit trip? Are there things that you would do or places you would go if they were closer or located more conveniently to bike infrastructure and/or transit lines? What can motivate you to bike 3 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles, or 20 miles? If you don't have a transit pass, what could motivate you to buy a bus ticket/pass? If you do have a pass, what destinations are good enough to be worth the time it takes wait on and ride a bus to and from the destination?

I ended up titling this thread to ask what IS worth the distance of traveling car-free, but what I really am interested in are what kinds of destinations are out there that you would be more interested in if they were closer or more convenient to be accessed by bike, transit, or walking?
Old 05-14-17, 04:59 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Atlanta and when I drove a car I could ride to the North Georgia mountains on a day trip. The mountains are unique and beautiful. Now as a car free person I see them several times a year. That's usually on weekend or long-weekend camping trips on my bicycle.

There is no quick or otherwise transit that would dump me out near a good campsite in the mountains. Nor the option to go tour a few great stopping points before returning home that night to let my dog out to pee. That takes a car.
Old 05-14-17, 06:01 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Walter S
I live in Atlanta and when I drove a car I could ride to the North Georgia mountains on a day trip. The mountains are unique and beautiful. Now as a car free person I see them several times a year. That's usually on weekend or long-weekend camping trips on my bicycle.

There is no quick or otherwise transit that would dump me out near a good campsite in the mountains. Nor the option to go tour a few great stopping points before returning home that night to let my dog out to pee. That takes a car.
That's funny. I would expect there to be lots of shuttle options to get from Atlanta to Springer Mountain for the AT. Idk if any would let you bring your dog along, but I once met a hiker who hiked with her dog and even had a pack so the dog could carry its own food.

Are there any around-town destinations that you would want to visit more if they were closer or were more (easily) accessible using transit? Are there things you could bike to but it doesn't seem worth the ride to you, whereas in a car you wouldn't second-guess going there?
Old 05-15-17, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Land's End to John O'Groats ?
Old 05-15-17, 12:15 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I live fairly close to amenities. I can do a lot on foot - go to the drugstore, go to the convenience store, go to a modest-sized "No-Frills" grocery, go to the bank and go for a haircut. At 1-2 km, they are actually too close to bike to!

The only time I would consider going by car for any of those services would be if I was sick or injured, and if I had no car I might have to go by cab, for example to pick up groceries. Even in blizzards, it is pretty easy to walk to local businesses, and in fact I enjoy trudging through snow and getting the exercise if I am not sick - I just dress for it.

If I wanted to go any further in the city, I can easily do it by transit. I had to go to a personal meeting 10 km north of me last week and had to take the morning off work, and it was easier to go up by subway and then take the subway all the way downtown to work, than to add the extra 20 km to my bike commute. In fact, I use my bike mostly for work commuting, and hardly at all for errands that I can do by foot or bus.

Last edited by cooker; 05-15-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 01:20 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by cooker
I live fairly close to amenities. I can do a lot on foot - go to the drugstore, go to the convenience store, go to a modest-sized "No-Frills" grocery, go to the bank and go for a haircut. At 1-2 km, they are actually too close to bike to!

The only time I would consider going by car for any of those services would be if I was sick or injured, and if I had no car I might have to go by cab, for example to pick up groceries. Even in blizzards, it is pretty easy to walk to local businesses, and in fact I enjoy trudging through snow and getting the exercise if I am not sick - I just dress for it.

If I wanted to go any further in the city, I can easily do it by transit. I had to go to a personal meeting 10 km north of me last week and had to take the morning off work, and it was easier to go up by subway and then take the subway all the way downtown to work, than to add the extra 20 km to my bike commute. In fact, I use my bike mostly for work commuting, and hardly at all for errands that I can do by foot or bus.
So are there things that you don't do because they are too far 'out of range?' It sounds like you have everything covered by foot/transit, except for work which you bike to, but maybe there are some other things you would do or do more often if they were closer, or if transit could take you closer to them?
Old 05-15-17, 11:27 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm really the wrong person to ask. My dentist is 750 miles away and I mostly go see him by bike. If I don't go by bike, I'm on the train. Kicking and screaming, I will take a car once in a blue moon when there are other considerations that make that the least-bad choice. Pretty much I'm only in a car when it is necessary for my companions.
Old 05-16-17, 05:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
What kinds of things are too far to be worth the time and effort of the bike ride,or transit trip? Are there things that you would do or places you would go if they were closer or located more conveniently to bike infrastructure and/or transit lines?

What can motivate you to bike 3 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles, or 20 miles? If you don't have a transit pass, what could motivate you to buy a bus ticket/pass? If you do have a pass, what destinations are good enough to be worth the time it takes wait on and ride a bus to and from the destination?...
I live fairly close to amenities. I can do a lot on foot - go to the drugstore, go to the convenience store, go to a modest-sized "No-Frills" grocery, go to the bank and go for a haircut. At 1-2 km, they are actually too close to bike to!...

If I wanted to go any further in the city, I can easily do it by transit.…In fact, I use my bike mostly for work commuting, and hardly at all for errands that I can do by foot or bus
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Amenities [of my bike commute to work]: coffee shop and cafeteria on site; almost all my personal service needs like barbershop, dentist, dry-cleaner/tailor,supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance of work, or a short hop on the bike; bike shop two blocks away
Boston is a lot like Toronto (though seemingly slightly less modern and convenient) when it comes to Living Car Free. Also Boston has very limited, and expensive car parking further advantaging Car-Free Living. I have previously mentioned that I don’t carry a bike lock because it’s so convenient to do my errands, dining, entertainment, etc activities Bike Free.

Nearly all my extended trips, and indeed almost all my cycling is my minimal 14-mile one-way commute, also available by car or Commuter Rail. I posted this assessment of the relative values of those three modes:
Bike commuting can make transit unbearable”…Sometime ago I tried to schematically diagram the comparisons between my three transportation modes:

Overall Satisfaction:
BIKE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRAIN>>>CAR

Intensity of Focus:
BIKE>>>CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TRAIN

Convenience:
CAR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BIKE>>TRAIN

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-16-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 06:53 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Since my wife prefers to drive and we do some stuff together on the weekend, it's hard to know what other activities I would do if I were single or she had a different attitude. She likes to take an occasional long drive to some small towns outside the city, whereas I might prefer to take my bike on the train to a nearby rural location and then sight-see that way, if she were interested or I was on my own..
Old 05-16-17, 08:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Since my wife prefers to drive and we do some stuff together on the weekend, it's hard to know what other activities I would do if I were single or she had a different attitude.

She
likes to take an occasional long drive to some small towns outside the city, whereas I might prefer to take my bike on the train to a nearby rural location and then sight-see that way, if she were interested or I was on my own..
Hi @cooker,

You might find this post from the Touring Forum interesting:
I'm taking off on another 2 day trip tomorrow” …
Originally Posted by jeff400650
I've been doing these fun rides lately... Pick a cool town about 50 or 60 scenic miles away. Book a nice room near town. Ride there (in my case, with my dog along). And then have my wife drive there to meet for a nice, romantic night on the town. It takes her an hour or two, to drive to where it takes me and my 20LB dog to get in a leisurely 6 hours or so. Some fine dining. A hike. Shopping. Maybe live music.

Next morning, charming breakfast, etc... Then I ride home, usually a different route.

It has been great. I get two days of serious riding, and she gets fun little get-a-ways close to home. We are exploring towns near us that we would otherwise never spend a night in, except that for a cyclist, it is a day's journey.

Healdsburg, CA. a few weeks ago
Halfmoon Bay, CA. a couple weeks ago
Tomorrow, Guerneville, CA. Staying at a place built in 1905. Cabins on theRussian River.

I guess you could call it short range, luxury touring with a spousal inclusion component.

Anyone else into this kind of thing? Or lucky enough to have a girl that will do the rides with you?
I quoted your post in its entirety because I have thought about such rides for a long time...I recently posted:…
PS: BTW, My adult cycling started in the Detroit, MI area,and my then-girlfriend-now-wife and I toured in Southeastern MI and Ontario. FYA, we rode the Lake Huron coast through Goderich, among other towns, to the Bruce peninsula, Tobermory, Manitoulin Island to Sudbury, and train to Toronto, which we have visited on several occasions. Another tour took us to London, ONT and Kitchener, where I have relatives. Pinery Provincial Park was a favorite day outing (by car from Detroit).

For a few years in the 1990's after moving to Boston we stayed at Clevelands House in the Muskoka Region. When we currently drive to Michigan from Boston,we pass from Buffalo to Sarnia.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-17-17 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 05-16-17, 01:55 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Hi @cooker,

You might find this post from the Touring Forum interesting:
You mention biking with your 20 lb dog, to meet your wife for dinner. My 9 month old puppy is now probably close to a stable 17-18 lb adult weight. How do transport the dog and what do you do with it during dinner?
Old 05-16-17, 04:21 PM
Jim from Boston

You mention biking with your 20 lb dog, to meet your wife for dinner. My 9 month old puppy is now probably close to a stable 17-18 lb adult weight. How do transport the dog and what do you do with it during dinner?
My post was a quote from @Jeff400650 who described his weekend escapades. I had taken note of his thread because it looks like a fun thing to do here in Boston; he is from California.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-16-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 09:58 PM
Jim from Boston

My post was a quote from @Jeff400650 who described his weekend escapades. I had taken note of his thread because it looks like a fun thing to do here in Boston; he is from California.
I just came upon this recent post by Jeff400650:
Originally Posted by jeff400650
I have thousands of miles on my Haanjo EXP. It is my favorite bike to ride. I've yet to go loaded touring on it, but often haul my 20 pound dog on a rear rack, and groceries on front panniers. It is fun on pavement, and single track trails. I will do a week long camping trip (with the dog) this spring. I enjoy my Disc Trucker too, but the Haanjo is much lighter and quicker, while still feeling very solid. My Domane feels almost flimsy by comparison. I'm 6'3" and 200 pounds, by the way.
Old 05-17-17, 03:27 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I just came upon this recent post by Jeff400650:
Thanks!
Old 05-17-17, 05:03 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I am not car free, but am trying to go car light... The most distance I ever used my bicycle to actually use it as transportation rather then my car was about 14Km round trip to visit my daughter/grand daughters...
Old 05-18-17, 11:50 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by 350htrr
I am not car free, but am trying to go car light... The most distance I ever used my bicycle to actually use it as transportation rather then my car was about 14Km round trip to visit my daughter/grand daughters...
Are there things you would like to do by bike, but you don't because they're too far or because you don't like the route/roads?
Old 05-18-17, 02:58 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Are there things you would like to do by bike, but you don't because they're too far or because you don't like the route/roads?
Actually, I would use my bike way more, like going to the store and such. But, around here there are not many bike stands or official bike parking and I don't want to leave my bike untended where you are not really supposed to leave it, like parking meters light posts...
Old 05-18-17, 03:55 PM
tandempower

Actually, I would use my bike way more, like going to the store and such. But, around here there are not many bike stands or official bike parking and I don't want to leave my bike untended where you are not really supposed to leave it, like parking meters light posts...
Have you thought about getting a cheap bike for around town? I use an old bike and just lock the wheel to the frame if there's no bike parking or other fixed objects to lock it to.
Old 05-18-17, 05:54 PM
350htrr

Have you thought about getting a cheap bike for around town? I use an old bike and just lock the wheel to the frame if there's no bike parking or other fixed objects to lock it to.
Nope, I like my bike, (it's actually an E-Assist bike) and it enables me to do even 100Km a day if I wanted to... My "problem" of going car lite, let alone car free is, infrastructure, the car is King mentality of everyone around here. Bicycle friendly this town is NOT... and, I suspect that is the main "problem" for most people who want to use a bicycle more and their car less, not necessarily just distances... JMO other than also the local weather...

Last edited by 350htrr; 05-18-17 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 05-19-17, 05:21 AM
tandempower

Nope, I like my bike, (it's actually an E-Assist bike) and it enables me to do even 100Km a day if I wanted to... My "problem" of going car lite, let alone car free is, infrastructure, the car is King mentality of everyone around here. Bicycle friendly this town is NOT... and, I suspect that is the main "problem" for most people who want to use a bicycle more and their car less, not necessarily just distances... JMO other than also the local weather...
Unfortunately, people sometimes have to be pioneers of LCF in areas that aren't friendly to it, per se'. There's no better way to suggest infrastructure improvement as a clear and present need than for people to be out riding on the sidewalks and in the lanes when/where it's safe to do so. I like old/cheap bikes so I don't have to worry about theft/vandalism/damage, but it sounds like you are pretty committed to your ebike. I don't like ebikes because I feel like I would get less exercise if I had a motor. Anyway, if you want to wait until the infrastructure is there for you, maybe some others will go out and LCF to pave the way for you. The universe changes in mysterious ways
Old 05-19-17, 06:22 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

That seems self-defeating. You're missing out on some biking opportunities by not using it on trips where you might need to lock it. So use your good first bike on trips when you won't need to risk it getting stolen, and use your cheap but useful second bike when it is at risk. After all, you just said:
Actually, I would use my bike way more, like going to the store and such.

Last edited by cooker; 05-19-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 12:50 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I know it's a cliche, but sometimes you have to "be the change you want to see" in the world.

Could you ride with friends? Or on some organized rides to feel more comfortable with the idea of riding in different circumstances?

For example, most of the towns around here have what they call "slow rides" and "bike parties" that are designed for transportation riders who aren't interested in the club ride scene. Slow rides are weekly events that start in one location but go around different areas of the city. You don't have to register for them, and they will put you in the company of other riders who are interested in making conditions better and having some fun while they are doing it. Bike parties are even more social and often include eating, music, and dancing as well as riding.

Also, when it comes to infrastructure...You should check to see if your local bike clubs put out a map of recommended bike routes. If cars intimidate you, there are almost always streets that have low volumes and low speeds. You can also explore to find yur own routes. Sometimes the best way for a bike will be very different from the way you're used to going as an automobile driver.

What exactly do you mean when you talk about your town not being bike friendly? Do other local riders share this perception? Do car drivers not understand that you as a cyclist have as much right to use the streets as they do?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-20-17, 07:43 PM
350htrr

Unfortunately, people sometimes have to be pioneers of LCF in areas that aren't friendly to it, per se'. There's no better way to suggest infrastructure improvement as a clear and present need than for people to be out riding on the sidewalks and in the lanes when/where it's safe to do so. I like old/cheap bikes so I don't have to worry about theft/vandalism/damage, but it sounds like you are pretty committed to your ebike. I don't like ebikes because I feel like I would get less exercise if I had a motor. Anyway, if you want to wait until the infrastructure is there for you, maybe some others will go out and LCF to pave the way for you. The universe changes in mysterious ways
That seems self-defeating. You're missing out on some biking opportunities by not using it on trips where you might need to lock it. So use your good first bike on trips when you won't need to risk it getting stolen, and use your cheap but useful second bike when it is at risk. After all, you just said:
Originally Posted by Roody
I know it's a cliche, but sometimes you have to "be the change you want to see" in the world.

Could you ride with friends? Or on some organized rides to feel more comfortable with the idea of riding in different circumstances?

For example, most of the towns around here have what they call "slow rides" and "bike parties" that are designed for transportation riders who aren't interested in the club ride scene. Slow rides are weekly events that start in one location but go around different areas of the city. You don't have to register for them, and they will put you in the company of other riders who are interested in making conditions better and having some fun while they are doing it. Bike parties are even more social and often include eating, music, and dancing as well as riding.

Also, when it comes to infrastructure...You should check to see if your local bike clubs put out a map of recommended bike routes. If cars intimidate you, there are almost always streets that have low volumes and low speeds. You can also explore to find yur own routes. Sometimes the best way for a bike will be very different from the way you're used to going as an automobile driver.

What exactly do you mean when you talk about your town not being bike friendly? Do other local riders share this perception? Do car drivers not understand that you as a cyclist have as much right to use the streets as they do?
NOW, You see their are three people posting here that basically say I "failed"... and, Maybe I did fail, to be a car free person, My point was... I was "trying to become a car light" person... One got's to start somewhere... and they wonder why there's people liker ILTB, and others like McBLC on here... On LCF...

EDIT; and Oh, I rode my E-assist bike to my daughters again day, and paid closer attention to the mileage this time .. and , it was 23.2Kms. OK It wasn't a regular bicycle, but it wasn't a car either.

Last edited by 350htrr; 05-20-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 12:04 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Albertsons Deli, especially the jojos.
Old 05-21-17, 12:27 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
NOW, You see their are three people posting here that basically say I "failed"... and, Maybe I did fail, to be a car free person, My point was... I was "trying to become a car light" person... One got's to start somewhere... and they wonder why there's people liker ILTB, and others like McBLC on here... On LCF...

EDIT; and Oh, I rode my E-assist bike to my daughters again day, and paid closer attention to the mileage this time .. and , it was 23.2Kms. OK It wasn't a regular bicycle, but it wasn't a car either.
I guess if you didn't want any feedback or advice, i have no idea why you posted in the first place. I'm sorry if I'm too blunt, but my impression is that you want to be carlight, but you don't want to make any changes to your habits and attitudes that would make that possible. If I'm misreading you, please explain.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.