Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ride or Own a Trek FX S 5 or 6 ?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 12:23 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm very interested in how the carbon frame bike rides compared to a metal frame FX ? I just turned 50 and I'm looking for a much lighter bike than my Fuji Crosstown 1.1 for daily riding. I'm interested in a carbon frame because the couple that I have rode (road bikes,not a FX) , seemed to be a little more forgiving on rough roads than a ridged fork metal frame bike. There's a lot of brick roads where I ride, and my Fuji with the suspension fork soaks up the bumps nicely but the bike weighs in around 35 pounds.
Old 04-04-17, 12:24 PM
Boondocksaints

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Scooty - I suggest getting a lighter weight steel frame if you are concerned about the bumps. Example - Jamis Coda Sport hybrid.

I feel carbon frames are too fragile for my needs. We are not racers who need that extra few pounds. Won't make a difference at all for us.
Old 04-05-17, 08:52 AM
DJH8098

Bikes: 2012 Surly Karate Monkey SS, 2012 Surly Cross Check, 2016 Litespeed T3, 2015 Niner RLT 9SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, maybe look into almost anything that Surly makes. I would mainly focus on the Cross Check with a flat bar, it is a nice ride and can be manipulated to do many different types of riding. Would be great if you want to do anything!Flat Bar Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes
Old 04-06-17, 08:33 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's for the replies guys !

I'm want a carbon frame because they ride so much nicer on bumpy road than a ridged frame, and I don't want a suspension fork. I rode many carbon frame bikes, and I really like them, and my friends that own them have never had an issue with quality or performance, their bikes are road bikes though, and I don't care for the geometry.

I ride 100 plus miles a week, and need a fitness rider during the week and use my Fuji on the 150 mile weekend rides with the panner bags. I ride strictly paved trails and roads, with the occasional sidewalk or hard pack trail if there's no shoulder or bike lane, so a carbon frame will be fine.

I'm more or less sold on the FXS6, but want to hear from anyone who has been on one and what they think about the quality, gearing, geometry, etc.
Old 04-06-17, 09:08 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am looking at the FXs6 myself.
Old 04-07-17, 08:08 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 623 Posts
Just a point of information: the current FX5/6 is a road bike, quite literally. It is a Domane frameset with flat bars (and appropriate shifters/brake levers).

Its geometry is Domane geometry, not at all the same as the aluminum FXs. It's a lovely bike, but you will want to test ride properly to check sizing etc. Depending on how you want the bike to position you, you might need to go up one size to get appropriate reach; it was not designed for flat bars.
Old 04-07-17, 08:16 AM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Just a point of information: the current FX5/6 is a road bike, quite literally. It is a Domane frameset with flat bars (and appropriate shifters/brake levers).

Its geometry is Domane geometry, not at all the same as the aluminum FXs. It's a lovely bike, but you will want to test ride properly to check sizing etc. Depending on how you want the bike to position you, you might need to go up one size to get appropriate reach; it was not designed for flat bars.
Great advice.
Old 04-07-17, 09:11 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I agree, great advice ! I thought the FXS6 geometry was the same as the FX metal frame bike ? I see that it has all road components and, like you said, is basically a upright road bike, which is what I want for my daily fitness rides. I have a great LBS Trek dealer, and I will mention what you said about sizing up, thanks.
Old 05-24-17, 11:44 PM
Cranks
Bent

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX S 6, 2010 Trek Madone 4.5, 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+, 199? Trek 930 Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The FX S 6 is sold out. Trek will introduce a new bike in June to replace it.
Old 05-25-17, 05:53 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Cranks
With any luck Trek will get serious about its hybrid range of bikes and offer something comparable to a Sirrus.
Old 05-25-17, 06:44 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
How right you are, Colonel! That Sirrus, carbon and discs, has ne drooling!
Old 05-25-17, 09:53 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cranks

Hmmmm, my LBS just got my new Trek FX S 6 in yesterday, so they're still out there, just depends on how hard your LBS wants to work to find you one. Ended up being fitted with a 56cm and it fits about perfect, might need to change the stem to raise the bars a bit, but will see how it feels after a few hundred miles.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 05-25-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 10:00 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
With any luck Trek will get serious about its hybrid range of bikes and offer something comparable to a Sirrus.
The 2017 FX S 6 is the new design to compete with the Sirrus Carbon, in fact I looked at both, and I liked the Trek because of the following:

Trek comes with a complete 105 set with cranks, chain, and front and rear derailleurs, (Sirrus has FSA cranks and KMC chain).

Thru axle sealed bearing hubs, with tubeless ready wheels (Sirrus QR drop out hubs)

Trek weighs 21 pounds, Sirrus 23 pounds

90mm BB, gives more rigidity on hard climbs

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 05-25-17 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-25-17, 02:08 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So how does it ride? If I'm not mistaken, the FX S 5/6 has the Domane isospeed decouplers because it is using the same frame so it should be a comfy aggressive bike.

Last edited by finch204; 05-25-17 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Isospeed "decouplers"
Old 05-25-17, 03:41 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
The 2017 FX S 6 is the new design to compete with the Sirrus Carbon, in fact I looked at both, and I liked the Trek because of the following:

Trek comes with a complete 105 set with cranks, chain, and front and rear derailleurs, (Sirrus has FSA cranks and KMC chain).

Thru axle sealed bearing hubs, with tubeless ready wheels (Sirrus QR drop out hubs)

Trek weighs 21 pounds, Sirrus 23 pounds

90mm BB, gives more rigidity on hard climbs
Doesn't the FX S 6 use the recently superseded Domane frame and thus just like Specialized use to do when they re-used a Roubaix frame, has a road bike geometry to it, even if that road bike is an endurance road bike?

I believe from 2015 onwards, Specialized started using a specially designed frame with "hybrid geometry".

Also do all the Sirrus models weigh 23 pounds? I would have thought that the ones around the price of the FX S 6 would be lighter than 23 pounds.
Old 05-25-17, 05:05 PM
badger1

Doesn't the FX S 6 use the recently superseded Domane frame and thus just like Specialized use to do when they re-used a Roubaix frame, has a road bike geometry to it, even if that road bike is an endurance road bike?

I believe from 2015 onwards, Specialized started using a specially designed frame with "hybrid geometry".

Also do all the Sirrus models weigh 23 pounds? I would have thought that the ones around the price of the FX S 6 would be lighter than 23 pounds.
Correct, on all counts.

The current top two FXs really are lovely bikes, but ... that is what they are, NTTAWWT.
Old 05-25-17, 05:17 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
So how does it ride? If I'm not mistaken, the FX S 5/6 has the Domane isospeed decouplers because it is using the same frame so it should be a comfy aggressive bike.
It rides beautifully, I took it down some brick roads yesterday and some sidewalks and it was as comfortable as my Fuji Crosstown, but felt much more responsive.

You are correct, its basically a Domane with flat bars and disc brakes.

I don't think Specialized has a separate carbon frame with "hybrid geometry" I believe they repurpose a road frame bike from what I can tell, I could be wrong though. That would be pretty expensive to do to just have a frame for a hybrid model bike. I rode the Sirrus Carbon and it's a wonderful bike, and the dealer told me they weighed around 23 pounds. Whether the salesperson knew what he was talking about, I don't know.

I think classifying these type carbon bikes as hybrids isn't really correct, I believe the new segment the manufacturer is using now is "fitness bike".

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 05-25-17 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 06:19 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think Specialized has a separate carbon frame with "hybrid geometry" I believe they repurpose a road frame bike from what I can tell, I could be wrong though.
Yeah, they do on the Sirrus, from about 2015 on as posted above.
Old 05-25-17, 07:01 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcnz
Yeah, they do on the Sirrus, from about 2015 on as posted above.
Interesting, I wonder where the difference lies between the Sirrus and any Specialized Carbon road bike frame ? I guess I could pull up the geometry specs, and just look, but they seem very similar. I rode the Sirrus and I really liked it, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the FXS6. Its crazy the info you get from the LBS that never seems to jive with the real world.
Old 05-25-17, 07:08 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting, I wonder where the difference lies between the Sirrus and any Specialized Carbon road bike frame ? I guess I could pull up the geometry specs, and just look, but they seem very similar. I rode the Sirrus and I really liked it, and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the FXS6. Its crazy the info you get from the LBS that never seems to jive with the real world.
The Sirrus has a longer wheelbase, there may be other differences also, I'm not entirely sure.
Old 05-25-17, 07:09 PM
badger1

It rides beautifully, I took it down some brick roads yesterday and some sidewalks and it was as comfortable as my Fuji Crosstown, but felt much more responsive.

You are correct, its basically a Domane with flat bars and disc brakes.

I don't think Specialized has a separate carbon frame with "hybrid geometry" I believe they repurpose a road frame bike from what I can tell, I could be wrong though. That would be pretty expensive to do to just have a frame for a hybrid model bike. I rode the Sirrus Carbon and it's a wonderful bike, and the dealer told me they weighed around 23 pounds. Whether the salesperson knew what he was talking about, I don't know.

I think classifying these type carbon bikes as hybrids isn't really correct, I believe the new segment the manufacturer is using now is "fitness bike".
Again, just for the sake of accuracy: the top Trek FX (5 and 6) are, as you say, re-purposed Domane road frames. Congrats, by the way; that is a lovely bike!

The Sirrus carbon is different. For the years '13 and '14 Specialized did the same thing as Trek: re-purposed Roubaix road frames and called them 'Sirrus.' From '15 on to the present, the Sirrus carbon has had its own, dedicated frame -- completely different from that of the Roubaix. The most significant of those differences is the effective t/t length (and hence static reach): size for size, the current Sirrus is 'longer' than a Roubaix, mainly to account for the difference in effective reach caused by the presence or absence of drop bars.

Whether these differences matter to any one cyclist is of course a matter of preference, but differences there are.
Old 05-25-17, 07:14 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

It is a very sad fact of life that people who work in bike shops, often seem less enthused and therefor often less knowledgeable than the sorts of excited hobbyists that are found on this forum.

In fact some of the salespeople in bike stores are unbelievably ignorant on bikes and the associated issues involved.
Old 05-25-17, 07:43 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Again, just for the sake of accuracy: the top Trek FX (5 and 6) are, as you say, re-purposed Domane road frames. Congrats, by the way; that is a lovely bike!

The Sirrus carbon is different. For the years '13 and '14 Specialized did the same thing as Trek: re-purposed Roubaix road frames and called them 'Sirrus.' From '15 on to the present, the Sirrus carbon has had its own, dedicated frame -- completely different from that of the Roubaix. The most significant of those differences is the effective t/t length (and hence static reach): size for size, the current Sirrus is 'longer' than a Roubaix, mainly to account for the difference in effective reach caused by the presence or absence of drop bars.

Whether these differences matter to any one cyclist is of course a matter of preference, but differences there are.
That makes sense because I never felt like I fit correctly on a medium or large Sirrus, though my thought was changing to a shorter stem with a slight rise would dial it in. That's very interesting that Specialized is investing in a new segment of biking, I didn't think there was enough of demand for these type bikes to be profitable enough. I always thought because of Cyclcross, and that there was so many different carbon road frames made by Specialized, Trek, Giant, that they would just use one that was close to "hybrid spec" and throw some flat bars on it.
Old 05-25-17, 07:44 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is a very sad fact of life that people who work in bike shops, often seem less enthused and therefor often less knowledgeable than the sorts of excited hobbyists that are found on this forum.

In fact some of the salespeople in bike stores are unbelievably ignorant on bikes and the associated issues involved.
Very true. Unfortunately, I tend to take LBS guys at their word, when I should take their word with a grain of salt, and then come here for the "real dirt"
Old 05-25-17, 08:15 PM
TomWinKC

Bikes: '15 Spec Sirrus Carbon Pro; '14 Camber Expert Carbon EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

My 2015 Sirrus Pro Carbon weighed in at 18.2lbs without pedals. It is a size large with a 1 x 11 SRAM X1 drive with pedals still under 19 lbs.

Last edited by TomWinKC; 05-25-17 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.