Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Tires with less rolling resistance

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 11:08 PM
rwing93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own a Giant Cypress DX. It comes with 700c tires that have a width of 38mm. It seems that the rolling resistance is high with these tires.I don't do any off road or trail riding. I would like to increase my speed and decrease my rolling resistance.Any suggestions would help on replacement tires.
Old 06-16-17, 12:34 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Do you have a basis for comparison?
Old 06-16-17, 06:13 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme! Put a 35 on the front, and a 40 on the back. You will keep the comfort, and improve handling and rolling resistance.
Old 06-16-17, 06:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Expensive ones.. high thread count , slick, very thin tread rubber. ... can be wider .. like Compass sells.
Old 06-16-17, 06:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
According to this website:

Tour/E-Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

The Schwalbe Marathon Almotion tires have the lowest rolling resistance in their class that he's tested. Of his list, I sort of like the Continental Sport Contact II -- near the best in terms of rolling resistance, very light weight, and less expensive than the Schwalbes. Though the Marathon Supreme also looks good -- not near as heavy as some of the other Marathon tires they offer.
Old 06-16-17, 06:52 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
After putting Compass tires on my hybrid over two years ago I was so impressed that I've since put 'em on two other bikes. Amazing ride.

Old 06-16-17, 06:56 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
To optimize for smooth rolling, you'll want something that's designed more or less like a performance road tire. Not a lot of options if you want to keep the tire width, but they do exist...

Panaracer Paselas are affordable and you can't go wrong with them.

If you want something fancier, Compass tires are phenomenal.
Old 06-16-17, 07:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
I have Michelin PRO4 Endurance 700x25 on my road bike. you can get them up to 28mm

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...FUdWDQodILwKrA
Old 06-16-17, 07:27 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Compass are expensive tires. How about non tourguard Panaracer paselas with skinwalls. You may have to fix more flats though.
Old 06-16-17, 09:29 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I will take flat protection over less rolling resistance any day. If the OP is strictly riding paved roads then I'd suggest switching to a 700x32 tire, less weight and higher pressure normally make for a better rolling tire.
Old 06-16-17, 01:21 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
higher pressure normally make for a better rolling tire.
Higher pressures decrease the amount that a tire deforms as it rolls, which is what results in less hysteresis loss. Wider tires can't be pumped as high, but they also deform less at a given pressure, so they don't *need* to be pumped as high to achieve similarly low losses. (And since they're squishier at the same amount of hysteresis loss, they work better as suspension, so they actually end up with lower rolling resistance as surfaces get rougher.)

You still end up with bigger aero profile, but this is pretty darn insignificant at the speeds people tend to ride their hybrids.

Overall it's usually pretty close to a wash. For paved speed, the really important thing with road tires is getting good high-performance road tires, and configuring them reasonably. Whether they're 25mm or 35mm doesn't make a ton of difference.
(The trick is finding good wide high-performance road tires. That market is very small, which is why several people have mentioned Compass; they're about the only brand with a relatively complete-ish lineup.)
Old 06-16-17, 02:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Higher pressures decrease the amount that a tire deforms as it rolls, which is what results in less hysteresis loss. Wider tires can't be pumped as high, but they also deform less at a given pressure, so they don't *need* to be pumped as high to achieve similarly low losses. (And since they're squishier at the same amount of hysteresis loss, they work better as suspension, so they actually end up with lower rolling resistance as surfaces get rougher.)You still end up with bigger aero profile, but this is pretty darn insignificant at the speeds people tend to ride their hybrids
question for ya. I recently mounted a cpl 40mm tires which when fully inflated (to 87 lbs) didn't fit between my rear chain stays. I let some air out (to 50 psi) & they fit fine. with all of my 215 lbs plus bike & rear trunk the rear tire doesn't deform at all that I can tell. I could have gotten the 35mm tires & pumped them with more air but wutz the difference? meaning I think I'll keep these as they are & not return them for the narrower tire
Old 06-16-17, 03:48 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
question for ya. I recently mounted a cpl 40mm tires which when fully inflated (to 87 lbs) didn't fit between my rear chain stays. I let some air out (to 50 psi) & they fit fine. with all of my 215 lbs plus bike & rear trunk the rear tire doesn't deform at all that I can tell. I could have gotten the 35mm tires & pumped them with more air but wutz the difference? meaning I think I'll keep these as they are & not return them for the narrower tire
Personally I'd be a little nervous about such close clearance. If the tires expand over time or sometimes don't get set carefully, they might start eating your stays. But as long as you pay attention it shouldn't be an issue.

The difference? The narrower tires would weigh slightly less, ride slightly less plush.
Old 06-16-17, 04:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
The bigger tires might rub when you pedal hard and the back end flexes.
Old 06-16-17, 10:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Try a lower handlebar position. Comfort hybrids like your Giant Cypress and my Globe Carmel waste some energy efficiency in exchange for comfort. A few adjustments will make more difference than a relatively minor tire swap.

After getting back into shape riding the Globe back in 2015 I lowered the handlebar and then eventually swapped the riser bar for a flat bar. Getting the bar within an inch or so above saddle height made a big difference yet is still comfortable (although it took a few months of overall conditioning).

Next I tried a firmer saddle. Not a hard, uncomfortable saddle, just one that's a bit firmer. The original was heavily padded with springs. A saddle with somewhat flexible nylon frame and Lycra over resilient but thinner foam was more efficient. No real loss of comfort because the bike's long wheelbase and tires soaked up most bumps.

If your Cypress has a suspension seat post, try a solid seat post. Again, there are some trade offs between comfort and efficiency. An exception could be a pricey Thudbuster or similar Suntour post.

I'm actually running heavier, wider puncture resistant tires now than the originals. They roll more smoothly and comfortable at lower pressure without feeling sluggish.

If I wanted lighter weight but still comfortable and efficient tires I'd go with Continental Speed Rides on my comfort hybrid. I've been running a pair of Speed Rides on my mountain bike for several months and they're outstanding all around tires and great values.
Old 06-19-17, 12:00 AM
RAF M

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5 2018, Giant Escape 2 2015

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental grand prix 4 season if you have the money. Conti Gatorskin is a similar one at a lower price but slightly greater puncture resistance. I'd recommend these tires if you plan on going narrower like 28-32mms. These wheels will add 0.5-1.5 mph to your average speed because of their relatively lower rolling resistance compared to most stock hybrid tires.
Old 06-19-17, 03:11 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
Try a lower handlebar position. Comfort hybrids like your Giant Cypress and my Globe Carmel waste some energy efficiency in exchange for comfort. A few adjustments will make more difference than a relatively minor tire swap.
Definitely! The cypress is a great bike but it's not built for speed. If you have a model with the adjustable handlebar stem, and they all seem to from the pix, then see if you can lower it and still get a comfortable ride.

Last edited by coominya; 06-19-17 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-19-17, 11:56 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rwing93
I own a Giant Cypress DX. It comes with 700c tires that have a width of 38mm. It seems that the rolling resistance is high with these tires.I don't do any off road or trail riding. I would like to increase my speed and decrease my rolling resistance.Any suggestions would help on replacement tires.
Your bike probably has Giant Multi Surface tires which are designed to be comfortable on road and trail riding. You may want to switch to a 35mm or 32mm tire with a smoother tread surface. A Michelin City would be one option. Your local bike shop should have some other reasonably priced tires.
Old 06-19-17, 08:03 PM
rwing93

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the great advice!