Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

better way to clean a chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 09:19 AM
jimh12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've been cleaning my bike chains for about 40 years and you'd think I'd have it down by now. But I'm still looking for a faster, neater way.

The 'chain scrubbers' I see are all designed to work with the chain on the bike. I see no purpose in that; I have master links in my chains and no problem taking them on and off. Using a 'scrubber' on the bike is just a hassle; an awkward position, solvent and water dripping on the floor... and then, how do I get the water and cleaner out of the chain? Spray WD-40 and get that all over the place? Not making sense.

I remove the chain, clean it in a laundry tub with a hand brush, rinse it, then take it outside and spray with WD-40 to displace the water; wipe, let dry, replace and lubricate.

What I want is a mechanical, crank-driven 'scrubber' NOT designed to work on the bike. I'm picturing something that feeds in the chain, scrubs it as it winds around some sprockets, then has a port for flushing without splashing. Yes, I realize the on-bike scrubbers can be used off the bike, but it seems awkward. Why isn't there a neat, contained, crank powered off-bike scrubber?
Old 06-21-17, 09:34 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Drop it an ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes, rinse it off, dry it and lube it.
Old 06-21-17, 09:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Years ago, I saw a video of a neat motorized chain cleaner that did just that -- it was a shallow tray with derailleur pulleys mounted at each corner, filled with some kind of cleaner. It articulated the chain nicely, flushing out all of the gunk. Sort of like watching a cassette tape play.

To my consternation, I haven't been able to find the video since. Maybe I'll try making my own next time I get bored.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-21-17, 09:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked 5,725 Times in 2,891 Posts
Probably not much demand because chains don't generally need to be scrubbed if you can remove them from the bike. Ultrasonic cleaner if you like gadgets or drop them in mineral spirits. Squeaky clean
Old 06-21-17, 09:51 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
I used to regularly remove the quick link and completely clean the chain. But now I just wipe it off with a paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol, and relube. The chains still have low wear over a lot of miles.

My old method really cleaned it, and was quite easy. I still do this once a year or so.

Drop the chain into a quart sized milk jug. Add a cup or so of mineral spirits. Cap and shake it. I think this gets more stuff out of the chain rollers than a scrubber would.

Drain the mineral spirits into a glass jar, and cap it. It will settle out to clear spirits and a permanent bottom layer of black gunk. It's easy to re-use the next time. I usually do a second shake with a little bit of fresh spirits, too.

A quick wipe of the chain with a paper towel to shine it up. I usually hang it and drip some rubbing alcohol down the chain to rinse out the mineral spirits, then let it dry, usually overnight.

Install the chain and relube.
Old 06-21-17, 10:23 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Drain the mineral spirits into a glass jar, and cap it. It will settle out to clear spirits and a permanent bottom layer of black gunk. It's easy to re-use the next time. I usually do a second shake with a little bit of fresh spirits, too.
Careful with the shaking if you use glass, though! The bottom blew out of a spaghetti sauce jar on me once. I ended up cleaning a lot more than my chain...
Old 06-21-17, 10:29 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by jimh12345
I've been cleaning my bike chains for about 40 years and you'd think I'd have it down by now. But I'm still looking for a faster, neater way.

The 'chain scrubbers' I see are all designed to work with the chain on the bike. I see no purpose in that; I have master links in my chains and no problem taking them on and off. Using a 'scrubber' on the bike is just a hassle; an awkward position, solvent and water dripping on the floor... and then, how do I get the water and cleaner out of the chain? Spray WD-40 and get that all over the place? Not making sense.
I've only been cleaning chains for 30 years, but I use a White Lightning clamp on chain brush thingy with Totally Awesome degreaser from the dollar store. It's not an awkward position. Takes about 5 seconds to put it on, and another 60 seconds of spinning the crank. I clean it outside so who cares if it drips, I finish washing the bike in the same spot. I hose it off and let it air dry outside after running it through an old towel. It's not like it's going to rust. I mean I don't know what the big deal is.
Old 06-21-17, 10:47 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I remove the chain, clean it in a laundry tub with a hand brush, rinse it, then take it outside and spray with WD-40 to displace the water; wipe, let dry, replace and lubricate.

What I want is a mechanical, crank-driven 'scrubber' NOT designed to work on the bike. I'm picturing something that feeds in the chain, scrubs it as it winds around some sprockets, then has a port for flushing without splashing. Yes, I realize the on-bike scrubbers can be used off the bike, but it seems awkward. Why isn't there a neat, contained, crank powered off-bike scrubber?
Unless you have a bicycle chain cleaning business with hundreds of mail-in orders I don't see the value in such a device.
Old 06-21-17, 11:17 AM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
To clarify - yes I've used the on-bike scrubbers many times. I'm looking for something similar that's designed for off-bike cleaning and works better for that purpose.

@Lazyass, with regard to "who cares", "what the big deal is" etc., I ride in the winter, I live in Minneapolis, and the garden hose is not an option in February. The on-bike cleaners put wet cr@ap on my shop floor. So like I said I clean the chain (and freewheel, and chainrings) in the laundry tub.

I've done the shake-in-a-jar thing and it doesn't get the job done. The issue is that in the winter I use more tenacious chain lubes that load up on dirt and don't just rinse off without some scrubbing.

@davidad, An ultrasonic cleaner is something I hadn't considered...

Last edited by jimh12345; 06-21-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 11:53 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Put bike on stand. Pedal crank backwards while rag is wrapped around chain. Apply new lube. Done. MA year round rider here.
Old 06-21-17, 12:15 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Put bike on stand. Pedal crank backwards while rag is wrapped around chain. Apply new lube. Done. MA year round rider here.
Now why didn't I think of that? It would push the sand, grit and road salt down into the rollers and pins where I won't have to look at it. I could just wear earplugs when it gets noisy.

Last edited by jimh12345; 06-21-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 12:20 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 440 Posts
Could do something like this guy's done. Rig up a speed controller to a small motor, with the chain dipping into a container of cleaner or lube.

Motorized system for cleaning bicycle chain - bike chain cleaning @ Jeff T - Youtube. (click -- tinyurl link to Youtube video)
Bike Chain Cleaning

This is what happened when you have to much time on your hands LOL.

I also would not expect anyone to go buy this stuff to make one I had it all laying around and did not know what to do with it since it turned so slowly, well this was it.

My motorized system for cleaning bicycle chains, keeps all the rollers moving while soaking getting all the grime out. I move it thru mineral spirits, I run it for about 15 min. on a timer.

This is unit uses a variable speed geared motor to control speed no splashing of fluid.

After I let hang dry and blow off with air.

Using a hot wax machine I hot wax chains with a ratio of Paraffin Wax mixed with a small amount of Super Lube Synthetic Grease with PTFE Teflon 41160 it does not collect dirt works very good. Hot waxing allows the wax and grease to get back in were its important between the pin and rollers of the chain.

Having the rollers on the chain moving while soaking it will help remove all bits of grime stuck between the rollers and pins the most important place to get clean.

You can put in a jar with cleaner and shake it but it will not get all the grime out from between the rollers and pin and it will sit at the bottom of the jar were all the particles are that fell off.
Old 06-21-17, 12:33 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 218 Posts

Dump the chain in a pickle jar with a generous amount of kerosene. Let it soak for a few minutes, maybe agitate it a bit. Then shake the jar vigorously for 30 sec. Take out the chain and it is now cleaned. Dry it with an old towel. Its that easy.
Let the kerosene sit in the jar and the gunk separates out and falls to the bottom. You can then pour it back and rinse the jar with paper. I know its not what you asked for but its just too easy to ask for a mechanical device.
Old 06-21-17, 12:52 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
@Clyde1820 - clever. Now add some scrubbers.

@Racing Dan and others - a lot was compressed into the "40 years" part of my question - I've done it all sorts of ways. The thing is, I cycle in the city, in the winter, and the streets become a mess of slush, mud, crumbling asphalt, and sand and chemicals that are applied to supposedly "de-ice" the roads. My chain picks up a huge amount of gritty gunk. I've had to disassemble a freewheel that pulled in sand. Many common chain cleaning methods fail because of the sheer amount of grit and the frequency of cleaning. I'd end up with a jar of black, gritty kerosene every two weeks, and there's no way to get rid of it, in the winter I can't even evaporate it. Trying to dispose of petroleum based solvents in Minneapolis is like going to Macy's return desk with a dead raccoon. So kerosene, mineral spirits, etc. are not options.

In these conditions A 'wet lube' like Finish Line Green becomes a black crawling horror that is difficult to remove.

Every 3 rides or so I have to remove the chain, take it to the basement laundry tub and scrub with a powerful degreaser like Zep Purple. I do this with a hand brush but it's slow, tedious and messy. Even soaking for a long time doesn't dislodge everything, it has to be brushed, and then the grit goes down the drain.

I think I want a gadget with a crank that pulls it around and around through some scrub brushes.

Last edited by jimh12345; 06-21-17 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 12:58 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 218 Posts
How about a IGH bike with an enclosed chain case? Lots of bikes like that in Europe. Or IGH + belt? Or a bike with shaft drive?

Last edited by Racing Dan; 06-21-17 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 01:11 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

@Lazyass, with regard to "who cares", "what the big deal is" etc., I ride in the winter, I live in Minneapolis, and the garden hose is not an option in February. The on-bike cleaners put wet cr@ap on my shop floor.
You should have mentioned that. Most people wash their bikes outside. However, I've done it in a bathtub back in my apartment days.
Old 06-21-17, 01:16 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
@Racing Dan - enclosed drive train, oh yeah, and there are perforated belts. They sound great but a local dealer told me that they really didn't work well here because they loaded up with slush and ice. Of course a belt requires a special frame that opens in the chainstay.

Same with chain cases - they might work for a while but once the wet cr@p gets in, it's trapped inside and you have to disassemble the whole thing. The purpose of these systems is to keep the rider clean, not the chain.

What I want probably doesn't exist because there's not much demand for it. Most people who do clean their chains seem to want to do it on the bike.
Old 06-21-17, 01:18 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Search the forums. There must be a veritable plethora of posts on this topic. Easiest of all is wipe the chain after every ride with a rag (or paper towel). If it looks dry, then put a little lube on it. If it gets chatty or starts to skip in some gears then replace it and the cassette. That's it. I still use air tool oil usually in the 8oz flip top plastic bottle. Only $3 or so from the local hardware store.

Old 06-21-17, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Just have additional chains, so you just remove the dirty one, put on a recently cleaned one.

then clean the other one to be ready to go..
Old 06-21-17, 02:05 PM
jimh12345

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Just have additional chains, so you just remove the dirty one, put on a recently cleaned one.

then clean the other one to be ready to go..
Yes. Fine. How do I clean "the other one"?
Old 06-21-17, 02:25 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe start waxing your chain instead?

(I don't really know. Just keep hearing about people doing it. The idea intrigues me. Supposedly, wax picks up less dirt in the first place.)
Old 06-21-17, 03:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
One thing that's worth doing, no matter how you clean your chain, is to wipe it off obsessively after relubing. If you can get it to feel nearly dry to the touch, it will pick up a lot less dirt when riding. A lot of people just keeping squirting more lube on top of the old mess, and that's what gets you that "black crawling horror."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-21-17, 03:11 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
If you need to remove your chain after 3 rides because it's gummed up you need to change your lube to something lighter that you can reapply more often after a quick on bike wipe down I commute in all weathers and never use a wet lube because they are a magnet for grime try a dry lube, the 2 chain advice is a good one leave one to soak while the other one is on bike
Old 06-21-17, 03:26 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Maybe start waxing your chain instead?

(I don't really know. Just keep hearing about people doing it. The idea intrigues me. Supposedly, wax picks up less dirt in the first place.)
I admit to being a broken record about it, but you are 100% correct.

If you are getting to the point where you're actually finding a on-bike chain scrubber unsatisfactory for your level of desired chain cleanliness, go to a paraffin dip-waxed chain.

You'll prob have to buy a $20 small slow cooker to melt it for convenience, and a quick-link to easily remove the chain, but after that, it's FASTER than normal lubing if you include time included to actually properly clean a lubed chain. (No tricks needed - seriously, just melt paraffin, dip, & you're done.)

The waxed chain is VASTLY cleaner than a lubed chain. Unlike the lube, the wax repels road grit, as opposed to the lubes, which attract grit (and hence turn black.) You don't even get any chain tattoo if the waxed chain brushes your clothes - you literally have to grip the chain tightly to get a minimal chain tattoo, and even then, it comes off super easily, no degreaser or scrubbing required.

I went waxed 3 months ago as I was getting driven nuts by the incessant chain tattoos and growing blackened towel heaps I was getting from wrenching my bike, and the difference is literally night and day. I used to go through citrus degreaser by the gallon when wrenching my bike with a lubed chain. But ever since I went waxed, I haven't touched a degreaser once in 3 months, and that's including a full FD/RD/chain upgrade&tune that required serious handling of the chain with my bare hands!

For me, the cleanest I ever got a lubed used chain (which required use of a chain cleaning machine, numerous towel wipedowns, and then even a full-out dip in degreaser) still comes out dirtier to me than my used and UNCLEANED wax chains - by a lot!
Old 06-21-17, 09:06 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
The waxed chain is VASTLY cleaner than a lubed chain.
I'm really thinking to give it a try. Couple questions:

1. Most of the instructional videos have you clean the chain before dipping it in the wax, but I remember reading someone's write-up and it sounded like the cleaning step might be unnecessary--crud just falls off the chain and sinks to the bottom? Do you clean and wax or just drop the chain right in?

2. What do you use for the wax? Do you mix anything in? I remember one video where the guy used candles but then poured in something else (because the candle wax apparently gets too hard).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.