Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

TRP HY/RD upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 03:54 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TRP HY/RD upgrade?

I currently have TRP spyre-c brakes, and they are alright, but i'd like something with more initial bite, espc on the rear wheel as I like to lock it up and slide it around corners.

reviews seem to be 'meh' to 'amazing'

And my wheels have shimano rt xtr rotors, but I don't like how weak the braking is compared to a mtb.

at $100 a pop, i'm wondering if they are worth the cost. I know they are basically out-dated now, but still cheaper than a whole new hydro brifter set up.
Old 08-01-17, 05:30 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr
I currently have TRP spyre-c brakes, and they are alright, but i'd like something with more initial bite, espc on the rear wheel as I like to lock it up and slide it around corners.

And my wheels have shimano rt xtr rotors, but I don't like how weak the braking is compared to a mtb.

at $100 a pop, i'm wondering if they are worth the cost. I know they are basically out-dated now, but still cheaper than a whole new hydro brifter set up.
I have Spyres and have absolutely no problem locking up the rear wheel. One thing to note: in my experience they are very sensitive to pad adjustment and break in. When I first got my bike I was really worried that I was going to have to get new brakes because they were so bad. But after adjusting the pads and giving them a week to break in they've only gotten better and better.
Old 08-01-17, 06:43 PM
johngwheeler

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I upgraded the stock Hayes mechanical disc brakes on my 2016 Trek Crossrip Elite to the TRP HY/RD a couple of months ago. Initially I thought that the improvement was a bit "meh" - hardly noticeable, but after a few days or so of riding, and a bit messing around to get the optimal cable tension, the performance got much better. They recommend applying the brakes 10-20 times after fitting, but I found I had to do a lot more - about 60km of commuting with lots of stops (probably closer to 200 brake applications)

I now think that they are a worthy upgrade - not as good as my SRAM Rival Hydro brakes, but significantly better than the Hayes brakes. I had read that the TRP SPYREs are already quite good, so the differential may be less in your case.

I did have to place around with cable tension in the cable, and then the barrel adjuster, to get the right feel. I now have the brakes set so that the levers are easy to pull at the beginning and *almost* touch the bars when applied with maximum strength. This works for me.
Old 08-01-17, 06:55 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked 4,061 Times in 1,501 Posts
If you aren't already using compressionless brake cables, I'd suggest trying that before switching to the Hy/Rds. Also, make sure you have the brakes correctly aligned with the pads and correctly spaced (compensating for pad wear). If you've done these things, I wouldn't expect a major performance difference with the Hy/Rds. Their biggest advantage is that they automatically adjust for pad wear.
Old 08-01-17, 07:17 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I can lock mine up, but yeah TRP says you have to run compressionless housing. I would like to try some hy/rd's.
Old 08-02-17, 11:18 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I can lock mine up, but yeah TRP says you have to run compressionless housing. I would like to try some hy/rd's.
x2. But being a bit cheap, my initial thought would be that I would be gaining only a half step up vs. a full step. Yes, I would gain better modulation and less pressure needed to stop but is it worth the cost outlay???

Another option is maybe go to a larger rotor. All you need is a disc caliper adapter/spacer and a larger rotor.
Old 08-02-17, 01:01 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
x2. But being a bit cheap, my initial thought would be that I would be gaining only a half step up vs. a full step. Yes, I would gain better modulation and less pressure needed to stop but is it worth the cost outlay???

Another option is maybe go to a larger rotor. All you need is a disc caliper adapter/spacer and a larger rotor.
You can buy the TRP Road Disc Cable Kit from Merlin for $21.

https://www.merlincycles.com/trp-roa...RoCJZsQAvD_BwE
Old 08-02-17, 03:07 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked 4,061 Times in 1,501 Posts
One thing to note about getting compressionless cables before upgrading to Hy/Rds is that you should also use compressionless cables with Hy/Rds so you'll need them anyway.
Old 08-03-17, 12:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
If TRP is any thing like Avid, the after market pad choice will be better than stock ones..

I'm using Kool Stop Organic in my BB7, you may prefer metallic sintered pads ..

They recommend applying the brakes 10-20 times after fitting, but I found I had to do a lot more - about 60km of commuting with lots of stops (probably closer to 200 brake applications)
with every disc brake bike sold , my LBS suggests a bedding in practice like that.. logically replacing the pads will need something similar.
Modulated , non aggressive braking for a few dozen stops.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 09:43 AM
Jixr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the idea of compressionless housing seems a bit silly to me, but i guess i'll pick some up and give them a try. my bike does not have stops for the housing, so the rear brake housing goes from the lever all the way to the rear brake, so i guess there is plenty of length to feel spongy.
Old 08-04-17, 10:42 AM
Lazyass

I read from a guy in another forum who went from regular housing to compressionless with his Spyre's and he said the difference was night and day. If I can lock up my rear tire on the pavement you should be able to as well.

There's a reason they recommend it on their website.

TRP

- Works with ALL cable actuated road levers. Compressionless housing is HIGHLY recommended.

But I'm personally very interested the hy/rd's because I would like to run a Campy group on my bike. The Campy cable pull ratio is too low for mechanical discs, but someone is making a short pull conversion arm for the hy/rd. I wish they would make it for the Spyre.
Old 08-04-17, 01:31 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well for me the hy/rd's seem nice since I just built this bike up and don't see myself moving to full hydro for a very long time ( unless i happen to snag an epic deal on the shifters )
Old 08-04-17, 03:48 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I read from a guy in another forum who went from regular housing to compressionless with his Spyre's and he said the difference was night and day. If I can lock up my rear tire on the pavement you should be able to as well.

There's a reason they recommend it on their website.

TRP

But I'm personally very interested the hy/rd's because I would like to run a Campy group on my bike. The Campy cable pull ratio is too low for mechanical discs, but someone is making a short pull conversion arm for the hy/rd. I wish they would make it for the Spyre.
BB7 works fine with campy levers.
Old 08-09-17, 08:41 AM
Donto

Bikes: DB Haanjo Carbon Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well for me the hy/rd's seem nice since I just built this bike up and don't see myself moving to full hydro for a very long time ( unless i happen to snag an epic deal on the shifters )
I have about 2 weeks or riding on my new DB Haanjo CC that came with TRP Spyre mech, not a fan of them. Yes I can lock up my back tire but that's not the point, I want better modulation/feel seems like its either not enough or too much on the rear. Front seems like it needs more bite. I had the LBS go through it and dial everything in when I got it, even asked about the brake cables and they said it has the right type installed.

That said, last week I ordered a flat mount TRP hy/rd set off ebay and it comes with beefier rotors than what came on the bike. Waiting for my new TQ wench to arrive then will be swapping out the brakes.

A few weeks back Competitive Cyclist had the Shimano RS505 hydraulic set on sale for $220 that some on bf posted about. Was gone when I went to look again so went the hy/rd route.
Old 08-09-17, 09:29 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by redlude97
BB7 works fine with campy levers.
I think the BB7's came out before Shimano released New Super SLR. Those are what the TRP's are designed for.
Old 08-09-17, 09:34 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Donto
I have about 2 weeks or riding on my new DB Haanjo CC that came with TRP Spyre mech, not a fan of them. Yes I can lock up my back tire but that's not the point, I want
My front was kind of weak too until about the 500 mile mark. It even shuddered a little. Takes awhile to really break them in, unless you're going down mountains or something.
Old 08-09-17, 10:33 AM
redlude97

I think the BB7's came out before Shimano released New Super SLR. Those are what the TRP's are designed for.
they claim they work with all road levers which is complete bull****.
Old 08-09-17, 10:40 AM
shoota 

Man that's so weird, I don't have any modulation problems with mine.
Old 08-09-17, 11:06 AM
redlude97

i find for mechanical disks you have to know how to adjust them yourself for your particular feel preferences and clearances. Having a shop do them will likely result in less than optimal setup because their goal really is just to make sure they don't rub and that they don't bottom out
Old 08-09-17, 11:51 AM
Jixr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update

Ended up ordering some compressionless cables, and some cheap clarks brake pads, and its much much better now than what the stock pads and cheap housing were.

Nothing super amazing, but I would call them safe now. I'll probably just be sure to keep and eye on the pads and make note to replace them often.
Old 08-09-17, 12:16 PM
redlude97

forgot to mention but the shimano b01s pads are cheap and fit perfectly, can find them anywhere. Much better than the stock pads.
Old 08-10-17, 07:10 AM
shoota 

update

Ended up ordering some compressionless cables, and some cheap clarks brake pads, and its much much better now than what the stock pads and cheap housing were.

Nothing super amazing, but I would call them safe now. I'll probably just be sure to keep and eye on the pads and make note to replace them often.
I find my pads are getting better and better as I use them.

Originally Posted by redlude97
forgot to mention but the shimano b01s pads are cheap and fit perfectly, can find them anywhere. Much better than the stock pads.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-14-17, 03:23 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
I can vouch for the Spyres. First disc brake that could actually lock up my rear wheel with + have it skid. I'm also using compressionless housing from jagwire and tweaked the barrel adjuster. As long as your brake levers have a long-enough pull you should be more than fine.