Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Commuter bike with coaster brake.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 05:30 PM
dculkowski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TLR Does anyone know of thin, city style wheels with a coaster hub, or a way of mounting a coaster hub into a current wheel?

Just recently purchased a bike from City Bicycle Co. Everything about the bike is beautiful and riding for the first time since I was a kid is so enjoyable i've done it everyday since. But one thing I'm really looking for is skidding and enjoying all the tricks I was doing when I was young. I've tried riding fixed on the flip flop hub and it wasn't terrible but I couldn't skid and I really did not enjoy being unable to coast as a lot of my trips have hills. The single gear is great but having a cable back brake adds way too much visually (clip has already scratched the frame), and cannot really skid effectively. Wanted to know if anyone knows of a wheel set/way of installing a coaster brake into a thin city/commuter style frame wheel. I'm definitely keeping the front brake but having a coaster brake rear I think would make my ride perfect.
Old 08-26-17, 06:03 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sturmey Archer has 1 and 2 speed coaster brake hubs that could be built into a wheel that would fit your application.

https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro...ail/s1c-silver
https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro...ail/s2c-silver
Old 08-26-17, 06:07 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it looks like I would just have to have someone relace my wheels into a new hub? I'm lucky to have a bike shop near me I just want to make sure that its possible. Also thank you so much.
Old 08-26-17, 06:12 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 323 Posts
don't flat spot your tires with all that skidding
Old 08-26-17, 06:15 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dculkowski
So it looks like I would just have to have someone relace my wheels into a new hub? I'm lucky to have a bike shop near me I just want to make sure that its possible. Also thank you so much.
Yes, that's correct.

Rather than having your wheel relaced, maybe just have a whole new wheel built as a suitable rims can be found for $20 to $40 then you have a spare wheel.
Old 08-26-17, 06:17 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll make no promises!
Old 08-26-17, 06:19 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Yes, that's correct.

Rather than having your wheel relaced, maybe just have a whole new wheel built as a suitable rims can be found for $20 to $40 then you have a spare wheel.
If I can find any matte black 25-40mm deep profile rims I will probably do that.
Old 08-26-17, 11:34 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I did this a few years ago and thought it was a great idea. Had a custom wheel built by a place in Washington (state). Thought it was a great idea like I said. It wasn't. Stopping power was horrible and skidding wasn't even an option.

Old 08-27-17, 08:08 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I just built this, from parts in my garage. The wheels are nearly identical old Rigida and Nashbar 27x1, with an old Bendix "red band" hub. It's a lot of fun to ride, and I use it for my commute, but I have definitely added a front brake since I took the picture. I think we tend to remember the performance of coaster hubs from when we were kids, and therefore had less mass to stop. The fun factor of the coaster might get old if you're riding in traffic.

@SquidPuppet has commented that the Shimano CB-E110 is a better hub, and his explanation makes sense.

I think if you're going to mess around with oddball hub/rim combinations, it's time to learn how to build a wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trek2.jpg (101.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-27-17, 08:40 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I did this a few years ago and thought it was a great idea. Had a custom wheel built by a place in Washington (state). Thought it was a great idea like I said. It wasn't. Stopping power was horrible and skidding wasn't even an option.

Something must have been wrong with the hub, or it was a cheapy. I can lock my brakes up with very little effort. Like super easy, without even taking weight off the saddle. But they also modulate perfectly.
Old 08-27-17, 08:50 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

If I can find any matte black 25-40mm deep profile rims I will probably do that.
How many spokes does your current rear wheel have?

If it has 36 spokes the rim will be compatible with a Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake hub. You can buy the hub and the "trim kit" that contains some required goodies very inexpensively. Chances are you'd need to buy new spokes at the correct new length and have the shop assemble the wheel using your existing rim. If you take the current wheel apart (very easy) and just bring the hub and rim to the shop, you save a few labor dollars.

If you shop for a complete new wheel, don't buy one that has a Velosteel or KT hub.
Old 08-27-17, 08:57 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 535 Posts
Anyone legally old enough to interact on Bike Forums should not want to skid perfectly good road tires into an early demise. As a youth I used to ride no hands effortlessly. I see the hipsters doing it now. Effortlessly. Somewhere between 20 and 60... I lost the ability. You can't go home again. Nor should the well adjusted adult need to. I hope this is a troll thread.
Old 08-27-17, 09:30 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Anyone legally old enough to interact on Bike Forums should not want to skid perfectly good road tires into an early demise. As a youth I used to ride no hands effortlessly. I see the hipsters doing it now. Effortlessly. Somewhere between 20 and 60... I lost the ability. You can't go home again. Nor should the well adjusted adult need to. I hope this is a troll thread.
Well adjusted adults maintain a good relationship with their inner child. I'm 58 and rode ~25 miles yesterday on a coaster brake bike. Probably a good five of those were hands free.

I don't skid though, inferior deceleration.
Old 08-27-17, 09:44 AM
JIMBETHYNAME

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I skid constantly on my bike and I just turned 47 on 8/24. Just yesterday I skidded of flat ground, and smelled burning rubber (NICE!!!!)
Probably 80% of my riding is no hands also, cause that how the cool kids roll lol
Old 08-27-17, 10:07 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Something must have been wrong with the hub, or it was a cheapy. I can lock my brakes up with very little effort. Like super easy, without even taking weight off the saddle. But they also modulate perfectly.
Very well may have been el cheapo, the price wasn't, but maybe the quality was. Decided to go fixed gear after that and never looked back.
Old 08-27-17, 10:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,586 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBETHYNAME
I skid constantly on my bike and I just turned 47 on 8/24. Just yesterday I skidded of flat ground, and smelled burning rubber (NICE!!!!)
Probably 80% of my riding is no hands also, cause that how the cool kids roll lol
Got any pictures to verify just how cool this kid is?
Old 08-27-17, 10:21 AM
JIMBETHYNAME

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Got any pictures to verify just how cool this kid is?
Well, I ahhh ummmm......lol
Ill get my girl to take one later today.
Old 08-27-17, 10:48 AM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
First, gorgeous bike. Replace the white with matte black and the saddle and bar tape with tan leather and you've got my dream ride. Second I noticed you don't have front brakes on your bike. I plan on keeping mine and even possibly upgrading to disc brakes. The front brakes are the most important and so even if the coaster brakes totally sucked, I still think I'd be fine. As for not being able to skid I think I'll just have to really spend the time to find the best coaster brake I can before doing this.
Old 08-27-17, 10:50 AM
TenSpeedV2

First, gorgeous bike. Replace the white with matte black and the saddle and bar tape with tan leather and you've got my dream ride. Second I noticed you don't have front brakes on your bike. I plan on keeping mine and even possibly upgrading to disc brakes. The front brakes are the most important and so even if the coaster brakes totally sucked, I still think I'd be fine. As for not being able to skid I think I'll just have to really spend the time to find the best coaster brake I can before doing this.
Thanks? That bike was an absolute piece of garbage BigShot that I regret every throwing a leg over. It did get me into riding fixed so I cannot completely hate it.
Old 08-27-17, 01:08 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
TLR Does anyone know of thin, city style wheels with a coaster hub, or a way of mounting a coaster hub into a current wheel?
Yes. If you go to Ebay and search for "700c coaster brake", several rear wheels and wheelsets come up. Some of the options are okay: some have Alex, Weinmann, and Origin 8 rims (the usual FG/SS suspects.)

I was obsessed with this idea 6-7 years ago and could not find a suitable wheelset back then, so I went as far as buying a cheapo coaster hub that would be compatible with a road/track frame. (I got it from a guy in Long Beach that sells as Junky Rusty Bikes, and he still seems to be active on Ebay.) The plan was to get some blingy rim and build it up. I never got around to it, and still have the hub.

So, if you want a custom coaster hub wheel laced to a rim of your choosing, that is also a possibility. Please be aware that most reputable wheelbuilders will not re-lace a previously used rim, both for liability reasons and because it is simply harder to work with.
Old 08-27-17, 08:06 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I just built this, from parts in my garage. The wheels are nearly identical old Rigida and Nashbar 27x1, with an old Bendix "red band" hub. It's a lot of fun to ride, and I use it for my commute, but I have definitely added a front brake since I took the picture. I think we tend to remember the performance of coaster hubs from when we were kids, and therefore had less mass to stop. The fun factor of the coaster might get old if you're riding in traffic.

@SquidPuppet has commented that the Shimano CB-E110 is a better hub, and his explanation makes sense.

I think if you're going to mess around with oddball hub/rim combinations, it's time to learn how to build a wheel.
I might very well learn depending on how much I get into this. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do a lot of work myself so if i find some extra cash I'd invest in tools. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-27-17, 08:08 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
How many spokes does your current rear wheel have?

If it has 36 spokes the rim will be compatible with a Shimano CB-E110 coaster brake hub. You can buy the hub and the "trim kit" that contains some required goodies very inexpensively. Chances are you'd need to buy new spokes at the correct new length and have the shop assemble the wheel using your existing rim. If you take the current wheel apart (very easy) and just bring the hub and rim to the shop, you save a few labor dollars.

If you shop for a complete new wheel, don't buy one that has a Velosteel or KT hub.
they're 36 spoke but I think I'm going to have to do the build route. Might buy a cheap rim set with it just to see if its really worth the investment. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-17, 08:09 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Thanks for respecting my wish to do something that doesn't affect you at all! Really appreciate it
Old 08-27-17, 08:11 PM
dculkowski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Yes. If you go to Ebay and search for "700c coaster brake", several rear wheels and wheelsets come up. Some of the options are okay: some have Alex, Weinmann, and Origin 8 rims (the usual FG/SS suspects.)

I was obsessed with this idea 6-7 years ago and could not find a suitable wheelset back then, so I went as far as buying a cheapo coaster hub that would be compatible with a road/track frame. (I got it from a guy in Long Beach that sells as Junky Rusty Bikes, and he still seems to be active on Ebay.) The plan was to get some blingy rim and build it up. I never got around to it, and still have the hub.

So, if you want a custom coaster hub wheel laced to a rim of your choosing, that is also a possibility. Please be aware that most reputable wheelbuilders will not re-lace a previously used rim, both for liability reasons and because it is simply harder to work with.
The origin 8 is looking really good right now. My only concern is the hub width. They label it as 110mm while my current rear is 120. I have no idea what the problems/ compatibility could be. I just said that custom will probably be the end goal but if I can find a relatively cheap set right now, (even just a rear) to see if I like the idea that would probably be the smart option. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-17, 08:30 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The origin 8 is looking really good right now. My only concern is the hub width. They label it as 110mm while my current rear is 120. I have no idea what the problems/ compatibility could be. I just said that custom will probably be the end goal but if I can find a relatively cheap set right now, (even just a rear) to see if I like the idea that would probably be the smart option. Thanks for the help!
Those are some nice looking wheels!

As far as compatibility, you would more than likely need to add spacers to make up the extra 10mm between the hub width and your frame. I am not especially knowledgeable on the topic, and I'm not sure if there are other issues with spacing a coaster hub vs. a SS/FG hub.

It might be worth a thread in Bicycle Mechanics, if nobody responds here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.