Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do I need a ferrule for cable housing entering the Tiagra 4700 FD shifter?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 07:37 AM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I had a bizarre problem today - my FD shifting was always a bit mushy despite a recent brand-new Tiagra 4700 groupset install and new cables/housing. I am a noob to all this installation, so I made plenty of mistakes on the way, but tried to fix them all.

I would have this problem where the FD would work great, but then gradually lose cable tension, sometimes dramatically mid-ride. Couldn't figure it out to save the life of me, until today on my rollers I felt a quick prick on my left hand (FD shifter) and saw a wire had penetrated the rubber outer sleeve of the shifter!

I disconnected everything, and saw that my FD cable housing that enters the FD shifter was totally smashed up due to compression once I pulled it out, and the actual housing structural wall threads were all popped out and frayed, with the result that one of these wiry threads had penetrade the rubber shifter. I'm pretty sure that the housing was getting smushed with each shift, and when it got a significant smush, I effectively lost cable tension, accounting for the weird problems I had with the FD.

The actual FD cable itself was untouched and looked perfectly fine.

I'm now thinking I maybe should throw a metal ferrule on that end before it enters the shifter, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that this was not recommended, nor am I sure it will even fit.

Any tips to avoid this in the future?
Old 08-29-17, 10:05 AM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based on your description it seems that you are saying that the cable housing has been damaged. As you may be aware gear housings contain a nominally linear set of steel wires as opposed to brake cables which have a helical spiral. The idea is that for indexed shifting the housing remains stiff under compression.

Gear housings are 4mm diameter. Brake housings are 5mm diameter. However you may also run into a problem whereby the termination point of the housing, grasping for words here, accepts a 5mm ferrule. Now you have to put on a 4mm ferrule to suit the gear housing and add a 5mm ferrule to match the termination point.

I am kind of surprised, assuming I have interpreted your description properly, that your gear outer has failed in such a manner but I guess things happen. I have no idea why adding the ferrules is not recommended. I would and do fit them as a matter of course. It should kind of make sense that they will act to re-enforce the end of the housing and prevent such 'fraying'.
Old 08-29-17, 10:21 AM
sch

Liked 140 Times in 106 Posts
IME the routing and construction of the brifter is such that ferrule is not needed, there is, so to speak an internal ferrule in the
brifter. Ferrules are used elsewhere along the bike frame as per chorlton. A good clean cut to the housing with no damage to
the housing covering and avoiding or repairing any crush incurred in the cutting should be enough. If you can get a ferrule into
the brifter, use it.
Old 08-29-17, 11:52 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF, Specialized Sirrus Gravel convert '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Liked 1,121 Times in 800 Posts
depending on exactly how the casing was cut, it might have a bent casing strand protruding into the cable's path... this would cause minor drag, and eventually wear through the cable.

i always use an awl pick to dress the ends of casings, and prefer to cut stranded casings with a thin disc cutter, not wire cutters or snips.... if there is ANY drag experienced when i slip the cable through the casing, i re-trim/re-dress it....

stranded casing is trickier to work with initially, but yields a much crisper shifting compared to coiled casings... and the Tiagra 4700 group is not as precise as 105/ultgra/dura ace.... "sloppy" is a frequently used term regarding 4700 stuff... initial set up gets tricky, too....

Last edited by maddog34; 08-29-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-29-17, 12:22 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Top tip from someone else here, memory fails me, is to insert a bit of sacrificial cable into the housing when you cut it.
Old 08-29-17, 12:35 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good points above - I do take care to try and have as clean as possible cable ends but it's possible that one of the fibers worked loose; although you should have seen it - the entire plastic housing was smashed down and the housing wires were splayed apart like they exploded.

I actually now suspect that the culprit may have been a Jagwire inline cable adjuster in the front housing that I installed and noted that I had a bit of a hard time when near-maxxing it out. I'll bet that as I was forcing the turns on that cable adjuster, I was crushing the cable housing into the shifter. I'll def not turn it as hard at the max limit next time.
Old 08-29-17, 12:55 PM
chorlton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Good points above - I do take care to try and have as clean as possible cable ends but it's possible that one of the fibers worked loose; although you should have seen it - the entire plastic housing was smashed down and the housing wires were splayed apart like they exploded.

I actually now suspect that the culprit may have been a Jagwire inline cable adjuster in the front housing that I installed and noted that I had a bit of a hard time when near-maxxing it out. I'll bet that as I was forcing the turns on that cable adjuster, I was crushing the cable housing into the shifter. I'll def not turn it as hard at the max limit next time.
Check the limit screws and check the height of your FD. It is the inner plate that shifts things as you move from small to big. Get it wrong and the chain just gets trapped between the inner plate and the big ring. Trying to brute force a change causes damage elsewhere.
Old 08-29-17, 01:04 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One thing to do to the housing is to use a metal file or a disc cutter to file down any burrs or rough spots on the tip of compression wires . It always a good idea to use a ferrules on the end of the cable housing .
Old 08-29-17, 01:47 PM
headasunder

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Good points above - I do take care to try and have as clean as possible cable ends but it's possible that one of the fibers worked loose; although you should have seen it - the entire plastic housing was smashed down and the housing wires were splayed apart like they
I've have seen this twice, both times the strands pulled through the plastic ferrules at the shifter end wasn't my bike so don't know the cause. My cheap in line adjusters are very easy to turn?
Old 08-29-17, 02:52 PM
redlude97

Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
IME the routing and construction of the brifter is such that ferrule is not needed, there is, so to speak an internal ferrule in the
brifter. Ferrules are used elsewhere along the bike frame as per chorlton. A good clean cut to the housing with no damage to
the housing covering and avoiding or repairing any crush incurred in the cutting should be enough. If you can get a ferrule into
the brifter, use it.
not true for 4700/5800/6800/9000. You need a special ferrule for the shifter install

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-04-ENG.pdf
Old 08-29-17, 03:48 PM
wide45
newt

Bikes: '76 Grand Prix, '90 Master TG, '90 Expert TG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
not true for 4700/5800/6800/9000. You need a special ferrule for the shifter install

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-ST0002-04-ENG.pdf
exactly

New 4700 levers come with the cable set and the ferrules.
Old 08-29-17, 08:33 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP here - amazingly, I somehow managed to find that exact Shimano plastic ferrule pictured above, and sure enough, it fits into the shifter! Didn't see that on any of the videos I watched on youtube to install cables (and I watched a lot of them.)

Thx for the tip

Does anyone know where one can order more of these? I'm surely going to lose it at some point.
Old 08-29-17, 08:34 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, I did a little more digging - I think this is it:

Shimano SIS SP41 Outer Gear Casing Cap
Old 08-29-17, 10:14 PM
redlude97

OP here - amazingly, I somehow managed to find that exact Shimano plastic ferrule pictured above, and sure enough, it fits into the shifter! Didn't see that on any of the videos I watched on youtube to install cables (and I watched a lot of them.)

Thx for the tip

Does anyone know where one can order more of these? I'm surely going to lose it at some point.
They come with all the new shimano polymer coated shift kits. A normal ferrule will work fine in a pinch as well.
Old 08-30-17, 07:39 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
stranded casing is trickier to work with initially, but yields a much crisper shifting compared to coiled casings...
@maddog34: That noted, I wonder how Jagwire's XEX housing compares regards friction/crisp shifting etc? It's not linear, it's not coiled, but a criss-cross pattern.

Last edited by migrantwing; 08-30-17 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 06:50 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I had the same problem before, with ferrule. I replaced the housing with brake housing and there is no problem now. No decrease in precision also.
Old 08-31-17, 11:12 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
I had the same problem before, with ferrule. I replaced the housing with brake housing and there is no problem now. No decrease in precision also.
you replaced stranded 4mm shift cable housing with 5mm brake cable housing on a 4700 groupset? How? I don't believe the indexing is working correctly
Old 09-02-17, 01:02 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
Originally Posted by redlude97
you replaced stranded 4mm shift cable housing with 5mm brake cable housing on a 4700 groupset? How? I don't believe the indexing is working correctly
Agreed. Friction shifters, yes, indexed shifters, no.