Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to accommodate riders who ride at different speeds?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 05:36 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I organize bike rides for a group of 50-plus riders. There is a wide difference is ability in the group and some people ride at 15-19 mph while others are comfortable going 10-15. To accommodate these differences, I have the group stop frequently for re-groups so that everyone feels like they're part of the ride. But I have been hearing complaints and concerns that the slower riders are feeling too much pressure to go faster and the rides are not as fun. What should I do?
Old 09-04-17, 05:51 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
That's bound to happen when you get that many riders with a wide range of abilities. It is good to have stops so that the slower riders can catch up, but typically the slower you are the less time you have to rest before the group starts out again.

I guess my only suggestion is to organize two different types of rides, one for faster riders and one for slower riders.
Old 09-04-17, 05:56 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I can see the problem. I stroll when I walk, I ride slow, about 10-16 mph and the 16 is optimistic. I would not break my butt to ride 18 mph, certainly not if I am trying to enjoy myself. But if I have a map, emergency phone number and route is well marked, I don't have a problem riding in a separate group. I'm sure that there will be groups of people that want to ride their pace and hang out.
Old 09-04-17, 05:56 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Around here, the faster ride rolls out around 30 mins earlier, and typically goes a bit further too.

You're right that for social you really only need two rides though. If people need to ride faster than about 17 mph, it's just not a social ride anymore.

I think one ride averaging 12 and another averaging 16 is a pretty good goal. The folks pulling 11 will be right behind the folks that push to 13 on the slower ride. And the faster folks (that are a bit slower) won't care as much because they're trying to get to that faster speed.

Our slower rides typically have about 1k climbing for every 15-20. And faster maybe 1500 to 2k. Adjust your speeds as necessary.
Old 09-04-17, 05:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,583 Posts
Decades back, Dan Henry said in relation to this issue "bicycling is an anti-social sport". I think he meant non-social, rather than anti-social, but the point is spot on.

Well matched riders may ride in a tight peloton, but mixed groups will have each rider ride at his own pace, and that's fine.

Arrange breaks with the understanding that some early birds may leave before slowpokes arrive, but accept that socializing on the ride will be in small groups of matched riders, or friends that opt to stay together. If you want a social aspect, plan on a social event at the end starting early enough and lasting long enough for everyone to partake.

Any other attempt at keeping the group together on the ride will alienate more riders than it pleases.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-04-17, 06:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,231 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I organize bike rides for a group of 50-plus riders. There is a wide difference is ability in the group and some people ride at 15-19 mph while others are comfortable going 10-15. To accommodate these differences, I have the group stop frequently for re-groups so that everyone feels like they're part of the ride. But I have been hearing complaints and concerns that the slower riders are feeling too much pressure to go faster and the rides are not as fun. What should I do?
Obviously you need to break it down to various speed categories. Most clubs do this,

AA - Avg. speed 18, cruising typically at 19-20
A - Avg. speed 15-16, cruising at 16-18
B - Avg. speed 14, cruising at 15-17
C - Avg. speed 12-13, cruising at 13-15

Etc... make up whatever speeds you want.

As well be aware that stronger riders *might* be going longer distances, thus you'll want to state a distance for that day's ride. If folks in the C ride want to do 50, let everyone know that's what this Sunday's C ride will be. Maybe do more then one C ride.

Then you'll need ride leaders who can develop a route. Posting a course on Ride With GPS is what a lot of clubs do, thus folks can download a route into their GPS computers and not get lost.
Old 09-04-17, 06:09 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18435 Post(s)
Liked 4,549 Times in 3,380 Posts
Oh... the turtles and the hares... The hares ride quickly and take long rest breaks. The turtles arrive at the rest stop just as everyone else is taking off again... and plod on.

I think 50 riders is too big of a group. Big enough to cause problems with traffic. How long are these rides? I'd encourage you to break them up into 2 or 3 groups. You can do the same course, or alternate courses.

With a big group, perhaps you could designate several "leaders". Even do it rather dynamic. So one leader leads the fast crowd, while one hangs back with the slow crowd. And one runs "sweep" to make sure nobody has a flat or other problems.
Old 09-04-17, 06:46 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Have separate A, B, and C groups which meet for a post-ride meal because stopping to regroup is not fun.

Send the stronger riders on longer rides so there isn't a lot of waiting at the end.
Old 09-04-17, 07:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Break it up into separate rides and find ride leaders for each group.
Old 09-04-17, 07:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think 50 riders is too big of a group. Big enough to cause problems with traffic. How long are these rides? I'd encourage you to break them up into 2 or 3 groups. You can do the same course, or alternate courses.
I took it to mean over 50 in age.
Old 09-04-17, 07:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,583 Posts
Don't make it complicated. Make sure folks know the route (use markers if necessary), and let the group string out as it will. If you have some people willing, plant leaders at various places so they're there if needed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-04-17, 07:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18435 Post(s)
Liked 4,549 Times in 3,380 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I took it to mean over 50 in age.
Ahhh... I see how it could be read either way, and perhaps one needs clarification.

Hills are a great separator of people, and might be worth a short wait at the top. If people aren't keeping up on the flats, then the group probably needs to be broken up, but it may depend on the ride. If it is just a casual ride around town, then perhaps it doesn't make a difference to stop or make sure people are getting through intersections.

Also discourage the leaders from forming a draft line and hammering away while the stragglers pull their own wind.
Old 09-04-17, 08:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18560 Post(s)
Liked 15,975 Times in 7,505 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Break it up into separate rides and find ride leaders for each group.
+1

/thread
Old 09-04-17, 08:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18560 Post(s)
Liked 15,975 Times in 7,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Obviously you need to break it down to various speed categories. Most clubs do this,

AA - Avg. speed 18, cruising typically at 19-20
A - Avg. speed 15-16, cruising at 16-18
B - Avg. speed 14, cruising at 15-17
C - Avg. speed 12-13, cruising at 13-15

Etc... make up whatever speeds you want.

As well be aware that stronger riders *might* be going longer distances, thus you'll want to state a distance for that day's ride. If folks in the C ride want to do 50, let everyone know that's what this Sunday's C ride will be. Maybe do more then one C ride.

Then you'll need ride leaders who can develop a route. Posting a course on Ride With GPS is what a lot of clubs do, thus folks can download a route into their GPS computers and not get lost.
NOW we can lock the thread.
Old 09-04-17, 08:29 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Split the group into slow, medium, and fast subgroups as noted above.
Old 09-04-17, 09:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
1) Make 2 different groups.

2) Make 2 different groups ... start the ride together and stick together for the first 20 km or so, then the faster group will do an out and back in another direction and will, eventually catch up to the slower group toward the end of the ride.

3) Do the ride on a short loop of, say, 8 or 10 km. Each person can ride as many laps as they want, as fast or slow as they want. Base it out of a park or something so people can stop and rest, use the facilities, etc. if they want.
Old 09-05-17, 12:52 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Split the group into slow, medium, and fast subgroups as noted above.
A local rider here labels them the insane and very fast, the slightly mad and moderately fast, and the mentally balanced and reasonably paced.

But as others have said, best that each group have their own sub-leaders who know the route, and possibly a sweeper at the back also. It's like having separate group rides all heading towards the same destination(s).
Old 09-05-17, 05:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4793 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
A local rider here labels them the insane and very fast, the slightly mad and moderately fast, and the mentally balanced and reasonably paced.

But as others have said, best that each group have their own sub-leaders who know the route, and possibly a sweeper at the back also. It's like having separate group rides all heading towards the same destination(s).
To me it sounds like the riders are 50+ in age, and it sounds likely that the OP is the one and only ride leader (available). Basically, there is no solution if there's only one leader available and the group is mixed in ability. All you can do is 'publish' the ride details and stipulate what the speed (average/cruising) will target, only so that there are no complaints that ride didn't meet expectations.
Old 09-05-17, 05:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Ever do a "corners and sweep" ride?

A rider with a distinctive jersey rides "sweep" and follows the last rider. The leader designates a "corner" at every place that it's possible to screw up the route. As the corners see the sweep rider approaching, they don't wait, they hop onto their bike and sprint back to the leader.

Slower riders can ride at their own pace and never get lost. Faster riders serve as "corners" and can sprint as fast as they like to catch back up with the leader between corner assignments.
Old 09-05-17, 06:29 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The group rides I do, which admittedly are more fun rides than anything serious, have a volunteer or two that stays at the back of the group to herd the slowest along and also volunteers at the front who stay with the fastest group but keep it from going too fast. It naturally usually settles into two groups.
Old 09-05-17, 06:38 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Stay with the slower riders and assure them they don't have to push the pace if they don't want to. IMO, a good ride leader stays in the back, and maybe relies on a volunteer to lead the fast group. The question I have is, just how much older than 50 are these groups? Are we talking 55 to 60? Any riders older than 75?

Last edited by MRT2; 09-05-17 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-05-17, 06:51 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since all the serious responses have been given, here's the ****post response: Refer the slow riders to Rule #5 and tell them to HTFU.
Old 09-05-17, 06:53 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
We do a breakfast ride every Saturday with (often) different levels of ability. We organize 2-3 groups: Cruisers, Pacers, Swifties. The Cruisers ride about 10-15 miles to breakfast, the Pacers do 18-25, and the Swifties do 27-35. (Since we have different destinations, the ride length varies week to week). The idea is for everyone to get to the breakfast place at about the same time. It usually works out pretty good. The ride back is usually much shorter (5 miles or less usually) often at a relaxed pace.

The one issue with this is that you need a rider for each subgroup.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-05-17, 07:35 AM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The organized rides spokes person I contacted in Auburn Al stated up front the average speed levels and groups accordingly . The college club guys average 20 + , The intermediate group of less than 10 riders averaged around 16 mph over 25 to 30 miles ,and I was also told that if I did not think I could handle that then there was a beginners group ride I might want to start with . I am 62 and average about 14 miles an hour over 20 to 30 mile rides in moderately hilly typical piedmont . So I feel I am too fast for the kids and cruisers group and maybe not up to the intermediate level (although I could probably do it due to drafting ,etc. ) and definitely could not hang with the racers . So my solution is to just keep lone wolfing it . I think they have a good system though . It seems better than just saying come one come all and having frustration at both ends of the spectrum . Each group class rides on different days of the week with different leaders . Age is not the determining factor for ability in terms of speed and endurance . They seem more interested in developing a team that allows each member to put in his time up front without dropping everybody else or sagging back and slowing the group down to wait .
Old 09-05-17, 07:49 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
One of our local bike clubs breaks large rides into smaller groups, each with a leader. That way everyone is in a "group" ride but can choose his/her own pace. There is always a fast group at a sustained 16+ mph, a middle group in the 15+/- range and a sweep group that paces itself based on the slowest riders. At the mid-point of the ride, there is a rest stop where all the groups come together for snacks and water bottle refills. It's a good arrangement because, as riders become more accomplished, they can ride with the middle or fast groups as long as they can hang on, if they get dropped, the next group is just a few minutes behind them. Nobody is ever left behind but the faster riders don't have to soft pedal or stop to let slower riders catch up. Everyone gets a good workout at his/her own level. Riders often move between groups either during the ride or at rest stops.

There are also "training" rides that are semi-competitive, full-drop rides at sustained 18+ mph but they are advertised as such and riders are aware that they are at risk of riding home alone if they can't keep up. There used to be a beginner's no-drop ride but that was kind of combined with the sweep group of the large group ride.

There is still a family no-drop where you see kids on MTBs and casual riders on hybrids doing about 10 miles with frequent pauses.

One of the worst "club" rides I was ever on was sponsored by another LBS. It was advertised as an everyone invited no-drop, but consisted of a couple of the shop's riders, a couple of college age athletes on higher end road bikes with aero bars, and three of us average Joes. One of the 20-somethings looked at the average Joe's and smirked "OK, nobody goes aero today." No-drop apparently meant the shop riders trying to impress the college girls while pausing on top of hills to check that they could still see the rest of the group in the distance. I'm a 50+ clyde on a mid-level cro-mo road bike. I average 15-16 mph and don't kid myself about being any better. The rest of us had a good time but basically where on our own ride rather than being part of the shop's "no-drop" ride. I don't have a problem getting dropped by faster riders, especially if that is the type of ride I signed up for. My problem was that this was widely advertised as a ride for everyone of all levels.

Last edited by Myosmith; 09-05-17 at 08:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.