Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pink/Purple 80s Mercier

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pink/Purple 80s Mercier

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 08:37 PM
zepedrohenrique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pink/Purple 80s Mercier

Hello everyone!

i've been reading a lot of threads for the past year, but this is my first post.
I've just acquired this pink/purlpe Mercier but i still have a bunch of doubts about it!

i've only had 3 days with it, because i'm working abroad but went back for 3days, and had sometime to put it together.

Who's the expert on Merciers?

What are the differences on their tubes?
I own another blue mercier, which has a 28-23 i think, and the pink is 28-26. (picture below)
Definetly the pink one is a lot lighter!! I think it's around 10kg. (My peugeot is 1kg or 1.5 heavier)

equipment (correct me if wrong please)
- Vitus dropouts
- Weinmann side pull brakes
- Simplex derraileur
- and then a Spidel sticker on the side which doesn't make any sense to me
- Stem - Belleri
And i think the crankset is spidel, not sure. 52-38

An it only has ''gold'' paint around the edges on the front part of the bike!

So Spidel came out in the 80's, how come does it have a simplex derailleur, were they still around in the 80s?

Does anyone have the same bike, thoughts? Year, model ..
Old 09-11-17, 08:38 PM
zepedrohenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i guess i cant post URL's with pictures until i have 10 posts.
How can i go around this, so this thread aint useless?
Old 09-11-17, 08:41 PM
bfuser10291295 

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked 1,385 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by zepedrohenrique
So i guess i cant post URL's with pictures until i have 10 posts.
How can i go around this, so this thread aint useless?

go into other threads and post 8 more quick ones. Easy
Old 09-12-17, 07:51 AM
zepedrohenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
go into other threads and post 8 more quick ones. Easy
Wel yeah, ive been trying that. Though im bringing back some older posts, not sure if that's the right thing to do!
Old 09-12-17, 07:59 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Wel yeah, ive been trying that. Though im bringing back some older posts, not sure if that's the right thing to do!
Have you tried the "Go advanced" button below the posting window? Then go to the "Manage attachments" button below that, and go from there. That usually works even before the 10 post limit. Or use a photo hosting site like Filckr and post an edited link in your post (delete the "https://" part of the link until you get 10 posts).
Old 09-12-17, 09:57 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Subscribed for eventual pics
Old 09-12-17, 02:17 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
You can upload from your computer/tablet by using the method Kevin told you about or rather than post on older threads, go to the introduction page ( Introductions - Bike Forums ) and say welcome to the new members.
Old 09-12-17, 02:27 PM
Coleberr

Bikes: '83 Trek 720 (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welp we won't here from him until tomorrow, having recently gone through this I will attest that after 5 posts he will be locked out for 24 hours, no editing posts either.

When he gets back he should post the urls with spaces in the http section and then one of us can host and post
Old 09-12-17, 03:11 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
I'll just throw in two cents here and say that pink Mercier bikes are absolutely classic as heck. There's something about a pink French bike that totally gets me every time. Can't wait to see the frame!
Old 09-12-17, 05:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by khatfull
Subscribed for eventual pics
Me too!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-12-17, 06:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,884 Posts
Spidel was a French marketing company formed by Mafac, Maillard, Stronglight and Simplexto promote a French "gruppo", to compete against those offered by Campagnolo, Shimano and SunTour. Typically, the components carried their native branding, though I have seen brakes, pedals and seat posts branded with Spidel. Simplex survived into at least the early 1990s, though they were never really a big player after their mid-1980s bankruptcy.
Old 09-12-17, 08:04 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Spidel was a French marketing company formed by Mafac, Maillard, Stronglight and Simplexto promote a French "gruppo", to compete against those offered by Campagnolo, Shimano and SunTour. Typically, the components carried their native branding, though I have seen brakes, pedals and seat posts branded with Spidel. Simplex survived into at least the early 1990s, though they were never really a big player after their mid-1980s bankruptcy.
Were Spidel parts kind of 'best of' the native brands?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-12-17, 09:04 PM
zepedrohenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello guys!

Wow, so many replies!

Yes, you were right, i got 5 posts on a day, so i had to wait 24h!

And here are the pictures !

So my questions remains..
Yes i do know Spidel was created to fight Campagnolo and Shimano in the 80s, the thing is, it has a sticker on the frame, but no Spidel material?

The Vitus dropouts got me wondering as well about the 28-26 Mercier tubes.

Any information regarding this?

Yes, this purple / violet / pink is amazing. its the kinkiest bike i've ever seen, and i love it!

Its pretty cool to see so many replies in so short time for a new member! Thank you

Zé Pedro, from Lisboa, Portugal!
Old 09-12-17, 10:28 PM
berkeley23

Bikes: '85 Miyata 610, '85 Miyata 310

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
muito bonita!

Last edited by berkeley23; 09-12-17 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 11:18 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked 1,112 Times in 824 Posts
Well it IS the Mercier "team color" (shades of pink or magenta) so that's a plus, but it looks to be lower than top-of-range, something mid-grade from late '70s to early '80s. Maybe those are Nervex "DuBois" lugs?
Old 09-12-17, 11:26 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 196 Posts
Oh my, that's a gooood one.
Old 09-13-17, 02:09 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Gorgeous!!
Old 09-13-17, 04:52 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Were Spidel parts kind of 'best of' the native brands?
Not necessarily, depending on your point of view. There was a rival combine called FREXA, consisting of Huret and some other partners.
Old 09-13-17, 05:25 AM
T-Mar

So my questions remains..
Yes i do know Spidel was created to fight Campagnolo and Shimano in the 80s, the thing is, it has a sticker on the frame, but no Spidel material?...
To clarify my previous statement, Spidel was primarily a marketing name for a combine of French companies. The components were typically still branded with the traditional names of Simplex, Stronglight, Mafac, etc. Some time later in the life of Spidel, some parts started to be labelled with Spidel. I don't know the reason for this, though I suspect that some of the combine members got into financial difficulties and were being kept afloat by the combine.

I don't beilieve that Weinmann was a Spidel member. The presence of Weinmann, as opposed to Mafac suggests that they are replacement or possibly that the Spidel decal was an addition by the previous owner.

I concur that his appears to be an entry level model. It has bottle bosses but still uses a clamp on shifter that is a low level, metal reinforced Delrin model. These were entry level during the boom, let alone post boom.

I suspect the frame itself is some alloy of lighweight hi-tensile steel. This can be determined by the outer diameter of the seat tube in combination with the seat post diameter.
Old 09-13-17, 07:38 AM
zepedrohenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clarify my previous statement, Spidel was primarily a marketing name for a combine of French companies. The components were typically still branded with the traditional names of Simplex, Stronglight, Mafac, etc. Some time later in the life of Spidel, some parts started to be labelled with Spidel. I don't know the reason for this, though I suspect that some of the combine members got into financial difficulties and were being kept afloat by the combine.

I don't beilieve that Weinmann was a Spidel member. The presence of Weinmann, as opposed to Mafac suggests that they are replacement or possibly that the Spidel decal was an addition by the previous owner.

I concur that his appears to be an entry level model. It has bottle bosses but still uses a clamp on shifter that is a low level, metal reinforced Delrin model. These were entry level during the boom, let alone post boom.

I suspect the frame itself is some alloy of lighweight hi-tensile steel. This can be determined by the outer diameter of the seat tube in combination with the seat post diameter.
_______

Cool! Thank you for the information. It makes sense that in the beginning they were still using their names on each material.
At least the whole bike is a little lighter than my orange Peugeot, and it has a 52-38, so i'm pretty happy about it.

But i would like to change somethings, such as the simplex plastic derailleur, the plastic shifters.

I've no idea what you mean by metal reinforced Delrin model by the way.

Do you guys have any idea on how to clean the tires?
As i said i didnt have enough time with the bike, which is driving me crazy since i only have a really ****ty 80s bike in brasil.
But i would like to bring those tires back, and i think its oil on them.

Thank you everyone!
Old 09-13-17, 07:45 AM
zepedrohenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, here are the two Peugeots I own!
Old 09-13-17, 10:25 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 655 Posts
Your Simplex shifters are metal reinforced on the orange Pug. Orange looks like a great city bike.

Is the seat post set for you on the Mercier? That's quite a hiked up distance!
Old 09-13-17, 02:36 PM
T-Mar

...but i would like to change somethings, such as the simplex plastic derailleur, the plastic shifters.

I've no idea what you mean by metal reinforced Delrin model by the way....
Delrin was the commerical name for the Dupont plastic used by Simplex in their derailleur products. The shift levers have a Delrin body a sheet metal sleeve to reinforce them and reduce flex. Still ,they flex a lot, causing high shift effort. The best way to improve Simplex derailleur performance is to substitute more rigid, aluminum shift levers. Ensure the new levers have a drum of roughly the same diameter as Simplex, so you get roughly the same amount of lever throw per shift.

BTW, I found pictures of a Mercier 28-26 tubing decal and the text translated to 'fabricated light tubes', so it is almost certainly a hi-tensile steel.
Old 09-13-17, 04:11 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 4,840 Times in 1,822 Posts
Welcome, Zé Pedro! Always nice to meet a fellow European on this forum. Especially from the country of Joaquim Agostinho, one of my childhood Tour de France heroes.

Nice collection of bikes you got there. Especially that Mercier. One of the very few regrets I have in my life is not buying a similarly colored Mercier frame in my size with Campagnolo ends when it was offered to me a few years ago.

Old 09-13-17, 04:25 PM
zepedrohenrique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Delrin was the commerical name for the Dupont plastic used by Simplex in their derailleur products. The shift levers have a Delrin body a sheet metal sleeve to reinforce them and reduce flex. Still ,they flex a lot, causing high shift effort. The best way to improve Simplex derailleur performance is to substitute more rigid, aluminum shift levers. Ensure the new levers have a drum of roughly the same diameter as Simplex, so you get roughly the same amount of lever throw per shift.

BTW, I found pictures of a Mercier 28-26 tubing decal and the text translated to 'fabricated light tubes', so it is almost certainly a hi-tensile steel.

Thank you, thank you, for all this information.

Do you have any idea, where this 29-26 stand next to the cadre allege from peugeot?
I didn't have a scale with me, but my peugeot weights 11.5. I think this mercier is around 10.5.

Still, i wanna find a better bike in the future. But i can't get rid of the 3 beautiful colors.

And the one with the mustache guidon (previous owner changed), is good to ride with my girlfriend so i can look up and see around.

About the tires, does anyone have something to say, how to clean them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.