Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Building a light tourer

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Building a light tourer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 07:35 AM
chainercygnus

Bikes: 1970 Robin Hood | 1974-1976 Peugeot UO8 | 2008 GT Transeo 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Building a light tourer

So currently the bike I am planning on using for doing some Touring starting in the spring is this mid 70's Peugeot UO-8.

I have switched it to 700x32 wheels with the hopes of putting fenders on. I am working on making two kitty litter panniers for the rear rack. I will probably swap out the handlebars for some Trekking/Butterfly bars or Bullhorns depending on what I can find at my local co-op. Additionally I plan to get a Brooks B17 to replace the random seat I threw on here.

I could use some help with options for additional storage up front, as I don't know if I can get a rack on there, and how to either put water bottle cages on there or some pointers on making a frame bag as I could then find a way to hang a camelback in there.

I am planning to use this thread to document the buildup, because I like to do that kind of stuff. Plus it lets me contain my questions to one thread.
Old 09-19-17, 07:40 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,673 Times in 1,684 Posts
butterfly or trekking bars will require new brake levers but if you're sourcing everything from the co-op it shouldnt be too expensive. i think the kitty litter panniers are a great idea but you probably need a stronger rack. look for a used blackburn. they can mount with p clips on your frame. most bike shops have a bunch of old p clips laying around from rack installations.
Old 09-19-17, 07:48 AM
chainercygnus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
butterfly or trekking bars will require new brake levers but if you're sourcing everything from the co-op it shouldnt be too expensive. i think the kitty litter panniers are a great idea but you probably need a stronger rack. look for a used blackburn. they can mount with p clips on your frame. most bike shops have a bunch of old p clips laying around from rack installations.
Yeah I meant to say that I have spare brake levers to swap out so it will at most be new cabling and housing (mainly because I want to make it red).

And thanks for the tip on the rack. I didn't realize this rack wouldn't be sufficient. I'll keep my eyes open for replacements. I should check what I have laying around too...I seem to recall I have a rack laying around.
Old 09-19-17, 08:39 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Before people go crazy with suggestions large and small, perhaps you could give a rough price range for upgrades that you want to spend and what type of tours you envision. Those two things will really drive what changes you want to make.

Nice bike btw. It has some vintage charm as it is (with an older looking saddle) that would look dialed in with a saddle bag (such as a Carradice Longflap Camper) and perhaps a matching front bag. Perfect for light tours without effecting the style.
Old 09-19-17, 10:09 AM
chainercygnus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Before people go crazy with suggestions large and small, perhaps you could give a rough price range for upgrades that you want to spend and what type of tours you envision. Those two things will really drive what changes you want to make.

Nice bike btw. It has some vintage charm as it is (with an older looking saddle) that would look dialed in with a saddle bag (such as a Carradice Longflap Camper) and perhaps a matching front bag. Perfect for light tours without effecting the style.
Thanks Happy Feet, it's a fun bike for sure. Budget-wise I am looking to DIY as much of it as I can, because I want to. And types of tours I envision, right now, just a few days in the mountains (I live in Idaho and if it is Desert vs Mountains, I vote Mountains every damn time) for now. If I progress into longer tours like I'd like to, it will be awhile and I plan to eventually get a LHT to handle that.

Though I just looked up the Longflap Camper, and that is a sweet looking bag. Especially with something like the Bagman support. Might be adding to my wishlist.
Old 09-19-17, 10:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Touring Cyclist extraordinaire, Ian Hibbel , started out using that rear rack , but triangulated it for better load carrying
by adding a taut cable in a /\ configuration..
Old 09-19-17, 10:51 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
I am assuming that is an old Pletchure rack (which I am sure I misspelled). I concur that would not hold a lot of weight.

Is that a cottered chromed steel crankset? You can tour with it but you want to make sure it has been greased in the past decade. Most shops would likely not want to work on it and might not know how to pull and replace the cotter pins.

In the 70s, water bottle cages came with straps to strap the cage to the frame tubing. Some but not all cages sold today can be installed with such straps. Velo Orange sells the straps.
https://store.velo-orange.com/index....age-clamp.html

Hose clamps (auto store or hardware store) can also be used to clamp on cages.

I use the Velo Orange straps on one of my newer bikes to hang a third cage below the downtube. Works well.

I hope those are not the old Simplex plastic derailleurs.

If that is the rack I think it is, those racks clamped to the seat stays. If you hit a pothole then the clamp could slide down the stays and mess up your brakes. There were some brackets that could keep that from happening. Or a short piece of cable tied between the clamp and seatpost bolt.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-19-17 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 10:52 AM
chainercygnus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Touring Cyclist extraordinaire, Ian Hibbel , started out using that rear rack , but triangulated it for better load carrying
by adding a taut cable in a /\ configuration..
I tried to find a picture of that, but failed. Do you happen to know of any in existence that I could reference?
Old 09-19-17, 10:56 AM
chainercygnus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am assuming that is an old Pletchure rack (which I am sure I misspelled). I concur that would not hold a lot of weight.

Is that a cottered chromed steel crankset? You can tour with it but you want to make sure it has been greased in the past decade. Most shops would likely not want to work on it and might not know how to pull and replace the cotter pins.

In the 70s, water bottle cages came with straps to strap the cage to the frame tubing. Some but not all cages sold today can be installed with such straps. Velo Orange sells the straps.
https://store.velo-orange.com/index....age-clamp.html

Hose clamps (auto store or hardware store) can also be used to clamp on cages.

I use the Velo Orange straps on one of my newer bikes to hang a third cage below the downtube. Works well.

I hope those are not the old Simplex plastic derailleurs.
Out of curiosity, what would be considered "not a lot of weight" because all told I will probably only be carrying ~30 lbs between the two rear panniers and a handlebar bag/frame bag if I go that route.

Thanks for the info on the straps/clamps, if I don't end up with a frame bag I will go that route.

And I am not sure if they are the plastic or not, haven't looked that close. Most days I would run down to the back of house at work and check but I didn't ride today...
Old 09-19-17, 11:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by chainercygnus
Out of curiosity, what would be considered "not a lot of weight" because all told I will probably only be carrying ~30 lbs between the two rear panniers and a handlebar bag/frame bag if I go that route.

Thanks for the info on the straps/clamps, if I don't end up with a frame bag I will go that route.

And I am not sure if they are the plastic or not, haven't looked that close. Most days I would run down to the back of house at work and check but I didn't ride today...
If that is the rack I think it is, I would not want more than 15 pounds on it. Part of the issue is that it is not rigid at all and could swing back and forth making the bike feel like a wet noodle.

If that is a plastic Simplex rear derailleur, maybe try to find an old Suntour long cage derailleur that might work instead? Simplex used a short cable pull so any other derailleur with a Simplex shifter would need the shifter lever to be pushed much farther per shift. I had an old Raleigh of that era, I switched from Simplex to Suntour derailleurs and shifter. You might be lucky, those might be Huret derailleurs in which case keep using them.
Old 09-19-17, 11:18 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Could be wrong, but didn't French bikes use a different size stem? Is it possible to get one of those to fit butterfly bars?

I'd probably get rid of the cottered crank for something a bit more modern and easy to work with, too. Without knowing your budget, Sugino makes a nice vintage looking double or triple for around $100.
Old 09-19-17, 11:39 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Last summer I toured on 1970 Paris Sport (a knock-off of the PX-10). I converted it to 700c and used 32 tires. I used Porteur bars, cause I prefer upright for touring. Brooks saddle...of course. The front rack is my old Jim Blackburn. You may want to look at this front rack from Velo Orange. I used a generic seatpost rack for my tent. Frame-bag is from Jandd.

My bike is converted to fixed so I can't help you with gears

BTW: I'm with the others and would not recommend using your rat-trap with panniers.

Last edited by BigAura; 09-19-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 11:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'd probably get rid of the cottered crank for something a bit more modern and easy to work with, too. Without knowing your budget, Sugino makes a nice vintage looking double or triple for around $100.
Bottom bracket shell might have a French thread.
Old 09-19-17, 12:12 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Bottom bracket shell might have a French thread.
Oh yeah, it probably does, Velo Orange offers French threaded cartridge bottom brackets:
https://store.velo-orange.com/index....-cups-107.html
Old 09-19-17, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
I tried to find a picture of that, but failed. Do you happen to know of any in existence that I could reference?
Look at any sail boat, you will see the mast supported by cables from it's tip to the side-rails ..
Old 09-19-17, 01:17 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Old Pletscher rack not up to the job. There are many cheap racks that are much stiffer and better design. Until Blackburn came along the only reason Pletscher racks sold was because it was either those or big heavy Wald baskets. Remove it ASAP. Even with a nice solid modern rear rack the ride won't be that good with all that weight sitting behind the back axle. Use the rear rack for a dry bag holding tent or similar item. Look at the photo you provided showing the rack nearly 6" above the tire. You want it closer to 1".

Kitty litter boxes are not a light load nor is 30lbs. Do something similar to BigAura's rig with front platform rack or low rider. The front wheel will handle the load better than a 126mm rear wheel and the ride will be better. For the cost of this conversion find some small cheap panniers for the front. You can do light touring without panniers but loading behind the rear axle on a 70's 10spd with parallel 73 angles is just whippy.

Last edited by LeeG; 09-19-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 12:44 PM
chainercygnus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I am looking for the tool to remove the freewheel for this bike, and my LBS has one in their shop, but not for sale. Does anyone know where I could find the tool to buy that fits an old Peugeot like this? I don't even really know how to accurately narrow down the search and ensure I am buying the right item if I go it solo.
Old 09-20-17, 02:36 PM
jefnvk

So I am looking for the tool to remove the freewheel for this bike, and my LBS has one in their shop, but not for sale. Does anyone know where I could find the tool to buy that fits an old Peugeot like this? I don't even really know how to accurately narrow down the search and ensure I am buying the right item if I go it solo.
Pay them to take it off, and put on a new one that takes a regular tool. If it is something goofy, you're not going to use that tool ever again.

If it is French threaded, you may be better off tossing the rear wheel and get a new one with a standard threading.
Old 09-20-17, 03:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Suntour and Regina freewheels were common back then, each had their own tools. I am not sure if Normandy freewheels used the same tools or not, they were on some older Eurpoean bikes too. I never had any Shimano freewheels from that era so I can't comment on them.

In my community there is a swap meet each January where people sell off old stuff that they do not want for good prices. If there is anything like that in your community, you might be able to get a tool or maybe even a newer freewheel. A few years ago at the swap meet I got a nice Regina freewheel, but it was a roll of the dice because I was not sure if my tool (which was at home) would fit it. It did.

Can you post a photo?

This company used to be in my community but they moved to a lower cost location.
Yellow Jersey, Ltd., Arlington WI USA Everything Cycling Since 1 April, 1971!
They might have some vintage tools, you can contact them but if they have it they will not give it away cheaply.
Old 10-02-17, 09:58 PM
cnskate

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty sure that's a low trail bike, which means that it handles well with a lot of weight over the front wheel. If you're doing it on the cheap you might consider a Wald basket. They're even hip now! I just converted an old Motebecane Grand Touring to upright with a basket and it's great fun and handles well.
Old 10-02-17, 10:12 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
may not be worth the trouble/expense.

what freewheel is on the bike now?
(doesn't matter bike brand, probably not the original part)
ask the shop what tool is needed instead of guessing.

find out what replacement freewheels are available, get
a couple freewheels and a tool.

no point in buying a special tool for the freewheel you have now
if it won't be any good in the future.

what's the condition of the chain/rings/freewheel?
how much life left?

might be better to simply buy new chain and freewheel now.