Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Purchase query

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid Purchase query

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 09:53 AM
joshskey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid Purchase query

Hi All,

Please go easy on me as I'm new here and looking to buy my first hybrid.

I just cycle for my commute which is only a few miles of cycle path (bumpy and rooty as that may be). I want something that's fast with thinnish tyres.

I have been into a local reliable bike shop and been suggested the following hybrid bikes:

Adventure Stratos
Ridgeback Motion
Carrera Crossfire 1

I think the Adventure Stratos is the one I'm going to go for, but I'm making a complete un-informed decision based on my lack of knowledge. I can't afford to spend any more than about £300, so please could you guys advise me?

Cheers,
Josh.
Old 10-02-17, 04:06 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I would personally not go for the Carrera Crossfire 1 due to the front suspension. I only like suspension on my mountain bike.

I don't know enough about the other two to compare, but I do see that the Ridgeback Motion is £350 (over your budget by a decent amount).
Old 10-02-17, 05:07 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshskey

I just cycle for my commute which is only a few miles of cycle path (bumpy and rooty as that may be). I want something that's fast with thinnish tyres.
A fast bike with thin tires, for a very short commute on a very bumpy surface, that's not going to work l am afraid. You need to do a lot of research, I would suggest you read here and even the mountain bike forum. Take your time and wait until you have a good understanding of the basics of suspension, tire widths and pressures for given surfaces and then start looking for a bike that suits. the time spent will be well worth it
Old 10-03-17, 05:43 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
Your cycling environment (bumpy off road) and stated desires (fast with thin tires) may not go together well. Shorter rides on bumpy surfaces seem like the perfect application for a suspension fork. I have two hybrids that I ride regularly, one with a suspension fork and one with a rigid fork. I enjoy both for different reasons. The one with the suspension fork is supremely comfortable, and I enjoy it for that. The one with the rigid fork feels more connected to the road and feels faster (even though my average speed on both bikes is similar), and I enjoy it for that. It's hard to get it all in one bike, especially at the price we're paying for entry to mid-level hybrids.

Have you had an opportunity to ride your top choices yet? I would do that -- go to your bike shops and ride what they have. Ride as many bikes as you can and keep your mind open to suggestions they might have for you. It may be a mountain style bike that is best for you. You can get a lot of comfort for your trails on a rigid mountain bike with 27.5" tires (584mm rims), vs. the 28" tires (622mm rims) found on most hybrids.
Old 10-03-17, 06:12 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
As an alternate to the above opinions, I counter with Paris-Roubaix.

Make sure your wheels are robust enough for you, and that your tire pressures are right...and ride.
Old 10-03-17, 08:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
Paris-Roubaix is a legendary race, noted for its extreme surfaces and test of both rider and equipment durability.

Why anyone would want to emulate that type of torture on a daily commute is something I cannot fathom, but there may be some out there...
Old 10-03-17, 08:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
can you rent bikes & get some mileage to help you decide what you like? usually rentals are comfy for most ppl
Old 10-03-17, 01:03 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by joshskey
Hi All,

Please go easy on me as I'm new here and looking to buy my first hybrid.

I have been into a local reliable bike shop and been suggested the following hybrid bikes:

Adventure Stratos
Ridgeback Motion
Carrera Crossfire 1

I think the Adventure Stratos is the one I'm going to go for, but I'm making a complete un-informed decision based on my lack of knowledge. I can't afford to spend any more than about £300, so please could you guys advise me?

Cheers,
Josh.
I would forget all of the above and look at one of these!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...d_8322664.html

or if you could stretch your budget, this is a steal, carbon forks with Sora 9 speed groupset!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...d_8322799.html