Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are 1X the future of road cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are 1X the future of road cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 09:23 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Range is not the subject.
It's related to it. That's why I finished with: "Bigger range means needing more gears, if you want to maintain spacing."

The argument is gear jump. So shift down front and up two in rear to get the next higher gear. Outside of Di2 sequential shifting people don't do that.
And hardly anyone uses half step where the front shift is between the rear shift. Most shifting is for going up - or going flat/down.
Shift pattern doesn't really change my point. Although most 2x11s only get maybe 14-17 distinct and useful ratios, whereas a half-step would be good for 20-22 (depending on how comfortable you are with cross-chaining), either way you end up with tighter spacing than a 1x11 drivetrain of the same range. In the half-step case it's because you're splitting each gear jump on the cassette in ~half via shift pattern, in the typical case it's because the cassette is tighter.

Rather - NOT controlling cadence may clear lactic acid build up more effectively and allow longer distance.
What do you mean by "controlling cadence?"

I like tight spacing specifically because I can fine-tune how much I'm pushing up against my body's various thresholds, which feels like it helps me maintain a given intensity over longer distances.
Like, if I'm doing 100rpm and my upper legs feel like they're creeping toward an explosion from too much torque, jumping all the way to nearly 120rpm to back off the torque might not be worth the spinnyness. Letting my cadence lift by a smaller amount might back the torque off sufficiently to be sustainable without blowing other parts of me up.

Last edited by HTupolev; 10-02-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 09:33 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
What do you mean by "controlling cadence?"
Shifting so your RPM stays pretty close as you go that desired speed. So if you have a perfect 2X you can keep cadence say 90-95 and if you had a 1X you'd have to go 88-99.

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I like tight spacing specifically because I can fine-tune how much I'm pushing up against my body's various thresholds, which feels like it helps me maintain a given intensity over longer distances.
Like, if I'm doing 100rpm and my upper legs feel like they're creeping toward an explosion from too much torque, jumping all the way to nearly 120rpm to back off the torque might not be worth the spinnyness.
Similar I noticed that in a long sprint if I changes cadence mid sprint (electronic shifting) I could hold high power much longer. So out of the saddle @ 100 rpm my legs were burning, shifting while standing to 85rpm I had a new kick before max pain took over.

There was enough there to convince me that holding an ideal rpm for max power produced less average power than changing rpm - at the top end.
Old 10-03-17, 06:54 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Most seem to be making statements based on the tech that you can currently buy. But I still believe that for the average rider, 1x can be a very real possibility with another gear or two on the back cassette. Not superstitious, I'd be okay with 13 sprockets. New tech might make it a real possibility and give us more gears on the back with smoother transitions. I think that will be much nicer than cadence wrecking shifts of the front and back to find the next correct ratio.

Even with my 11 speed cassette 11-32 and 52/36 front, when I am riding 30 plus miles, with slight grades in the 4 to 6 percents range, I can stay in either the big of the small for all of the ride. If I'm in the big, I only wish for one more larger cog for the climbs. If I'm in the small, I only wish for one smaller gear on the descents.

Might be a different story for 10 percent grades. But I intend to find out.
On my commute I feel similar. I'm on the 50 until the wind is pushing 20mph into my face. If you don't get serious headwinds our have tough climb is there even a need for wife ratio in the back, especially if you have a smaller chain ring in the front?
Old 10-03-17, 09:30 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by redlude97
i think aside from Doge'd kid, the road forum is mostly recreational...
This argument needs to go one way or the other.
One argument - recreational riders don't need to be concerned about the nuances and small details - as it doesn't matter for rec riding. My response would be then use a 1X, you don't need the extra parts, cost, maintenance and you can adjust to the rpm change, who cares if you are 5 rpm off ideal.

The other argument - recreational riders are not trained for such variation in rpm. That they have a narrow band in which they can correctly ride. Then I'd say, get a 1X and broaden your cadence opportunities. Stand up, sit, spin and lug. As it is recreational riding - nobody cares. Not that they care if it is racing either.

The -33 is recreational racing too FWIW. Pros don't BF.
Old 10-03-17, 09:40 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
That is true. Even rec riders "need" bikes more expensive than pros ride.
For me, that old big guy that fits the profile of so many riders in this forum, if I was doing lots of big climbs I'd have something like a 52/34 up front. Other than that, I just don't see the need.
What's this about 'more expensive' bikes than pros? Even my expensive bike 'only' has Chorus on it. To go 1X with Campy likely would have cost more than just accepting the stock double. It is only for your Di2 situation where 1X actually saves any money (currently, and that could change).

And is there really no middle ground for between what you normally ride (whatever that is) and 'doing lots of big climbs'? What about lots of short, steep climbs? Or one really big climb? Or....millions of other scenarios where having a wider range of gearing with smaller steps than 1X can offer might be preferred.

In the early 80s when I road 400 miles/week and was 20 I thought it was good to find my best cadence and power and not spend any energy. So I sat and spun about 90rpm most of the time. I did a coast to coast ride in 82 and my smallest gear was a 42X18, so I learned to stand, and wow, it was not so bad. Later I started commuting and I commuted on a fixed MASI (by Masi) a couple days, and road bike a couple days. Fixed my rpm was 70-170. Road bike 85-100. I was a bit faster on the road bike, but just a bit. I learned that mixing it up made me feel fresher and I could go longer and faster. And like that picture I showed pages back - I just went 1 as early as the early 90s. I still have 2X, but just because. I can't really justify it.
This discussion is beginning to go the way of most BF gearing discussions: It works for me so it must work for you, too. The same argument has been made regarding cassettes and cranks since I joined this forum 13 years ago, back when anything other than a 53/39 crank and 11-23 cassette was considered only for newbs and old farts. And it's still just as tiresome even though it's evolved as more and more pros have decided to embrace lower gearing (somehow making it then ok for amateurs to use it, too). Your effort standing in a 42/18 might be just as difficult as me standing in my 34/29. But neither of us knows that. Maybe your hills are less steep, maybe I'm a slow wimp, maybe you are recalling the past incorrectly
Old 10-03-17, 09:43 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

One argument - recreational riders don't need to be concerned about the nuances and small details - as it doesn't matter for rec riding. My response would be then use a 1X, you don't need the extra parts, cost, maintenance and you can adjust to the rpm change, who cares if you are 5 rpm off ideal.
Only for a narrow range of builds is 1X going to be cheaper. Most of my minimal maintenance is at the rear end of my bikes anyway.

The other argument - recreational riders are not trained for such variation in rpm. That they have a narrow band in which they can correctly ride. Then I'd say, get a 1X and broaden your cadence opportunities. Stand up, sit, spin and lug. As it is recreational riding - nobody cares. Not that they care if it is racing either.
I can do all of that on my current bikes without changing a thing, if I so desired. With 1X, I'm forced to do it, all the time, with no easy way out. Is that what you want for me?
Old 10-03-17, 09:57 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by joejack951

This discussion is beginning to go the way of most BF gearing discussions: It works for me so it must work for you, too. ...
The Mfgs know this. They are selling 1Xs now. SRAM/Shimano have rings designed not to derail. That was not the case I recall even 5 years ago. So there is a change. Just like discs are options now. There is a market because it fills a need of a buyer.

I know what I use and I know what works for many racers - mostly kids. But that is discounted as they are racers. So I go to me, rec, like the rec on this forum. I also know it would work for the other 50 rec riders. But most bikes come with a 2X up front, so folks don't change, as it would cost more, they already have a 2X.

Where the 2X is needed is where ratios are significantly different and you essentially need two 10 speeds. That is going up, and going down. Otherwise, I argue from experience other than my own that a 1X 11speed can cover most situations just fine.
Old 10-03-17, 10:09 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
It makes sense that SRAM pioneered the 1x drivetrain...

Because they could hardly manage front shifting anyway.
Old 10-03-17, 10:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
It makes sense that SRAM pioneered the 1x drivetrain...

Because they could hardly manage front shifting anyway.

COL (chuckle out loud)
Old 10-03-17, 11:26 AM
joejack951

The Mfgs know this. They are selling 1Xs now. SRAM/Shimano have rings designed not to derail. That was not the case I recall even 5 years ago. So there is a change. Just like discs are options now. There is a market because it fills a need of a buyer.
I'd argue that it all just helps sell bikes. I'm a fan of discs but if they weren't an option, I'd still be riding a bike meaning discs are a want for me, not a need. People get excited about new/different stuff and justify

I know what I use and I know what works for many racers - mostly kids. But that is discounted as they are racers. So I go to me, rec, like the rec on this forum. I also know it would work for the other 50 rec riders. But most bikes come with a 2X up front, so folks don't change, as it would cost more, they already have a 2X.
What folks could get by with if forced to accept a subpar solution and what they'd actually prefer are different. Like my situation with disc brakes.

Where the 2X is needed is where ratios are significantly different and you essentially need two 10 speeds. That is going up, and going down. Otherwise, I argue from experience other than my own that a 1X 11speed can cover most situations just fine.
2X (or 3X) is better than 1X any time you want a wide(r) range with small(er) steps. Easy as that. When someone wants that option is totally up to them to decide.
Old 10-03-17, 02:12 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

The -33 is recreational racing too FWIW. Pros don't BF.
I think other than you and a handful of others, both recreational cyclists and recreational racers don't experience chain drops or have problems shifting the front on the road. So 1x will continue to not be a necessary sacrifice to save weight at the cost of jumps and versatility. Just because they used to race on 2x5 doesn't mean I don't like the close spacing of 2x11 whether I'm a racer or not, and then is coming from someone who owns 2 1x dropbar bikes. They have their place for specific applications, but those are purpose built bikes. The average recreational road cyclist has a single bike, and a 1x do it all bike just isn't appealing.
Old 10-03-17, 02:16 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by redlude97
...average recreational road cyclist has a single bike, and a 1x do it all bike just isn't appealing.
I wonder what the average bike is. I thought it was a 3 speed in my day. Lots of 1 speeds around here.
Old 10-13-17, 07:34 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have recently got a gravel bike that is 1x and must say that I miss being able to just shift to the big chainring when cresting a hill to get a big jump up through the gear range. Same in reverse when coming to the bottom of a hill climb. Di2 would be a bit better as you could just hold your finger on the button but still I prefer to swap chainrings.
Front shifting is very slick nowadays and I also very rarely drop a chain.
Old 10-16-17, 07:05 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder what the average bike is. I thought it was a 3 speed in my day. Lots of 1 speeds around here.
just my .02, I'd say the average bike is a low end flat bar "mountain bike" that never leaves the pavement much less the neighborhood.
Old 10-16-17, 07:48 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by bonz50
just my .02, I'd say the average bike is a low end flat bar "mountain bike" that never leaves the pavement much less the neighborhood.
I'm learning I need to qualify more.
What is the average bike that is owned by the BF poster in the Road Cycling Forum?
Old 10-17-17, 11:30 AM
joejack951

I'm learning I need to qualify more.
What is the average bike that is owned by the BF poster in the Road Cycling Forum?
Start a poll.
Old 10-17-17, 11:33 AM
Doge

I have for other things. I don't need to for bikes so much. I have a pretty good idea the profiles in the forums I visit.
Old 10-17-17, 12:03 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I guess my view is that I just don't see the drive behind 1X. My intuition tells me it is largely (if not all...) aesthetics driven.

Seems like a lot of engineering and re-designing to solve a problem that never really existed in the first place. Getting rid of a derailleur just to add a clutch mechanism in the rear derailleur, getting rid of chainrings just to add sprockets in the back.

A lot of engineering just to try to achieve the same performance a 2X system delivers.
Old 10-17-17, 12:11 PM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, I only use my little chainring on steeps 8% or higher and in the last 3 largest cogs. Even at gradients 10% and higher, I often choose to cross chain and grind it out.
Bring on the 1x system!
Old 10-17-17, 12:31 PM
joejack951

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I guess my view is that I just don't see the drive behind 1X. My intuition tells me it is largely (if not all...) aesthetics driven.
A 'pro' time trial setup with a 53-54T big ring and a tight cassette looks good. An amateur setup, that any of us might ride, with a 42-46T 'big' ring and an 11-36/42T cassette looks ridiculous, to me. I'd much prefer that same tight cassette plus a double crank up front.

Seems like a lot of engineering and re-designing to solve a problem that never really existed in the first place. Getting rid of a derailleur just to add a clutch mechanism in the rear derailleur, getting rid of chainrings just to add sprockets in the back.

A lot of engineering just to try to achieve the same performance a 2X system delivers.
I get it. If I never had to shift up front and gave up nothing, and I mean nothing, I'd run a 1X. But that's simply not the case today. No current 1X can replicate a 50/34 double and 12/25 11 speed cassette, both range and shift spacing. A 1x17 could, though. Then again, my triple setup on another bike would be that much more difficult to match.
Old 10-17-17, 01:26 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Plus the increased likelyhood of a dropped chain with no derallieur up front. Though i dont have much experience with new 1x's. With the different chainring tooth sizes, are they more or less likely than a deraillieur baike to drop a chain? I dont think it really matters for the road...but maybe for MTB.
Old 10-17-17, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Marketing in the Future?
Old 10-17-17, 02:50 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Plus the increased likelyhood of a dropped chain with no derallieur up front. Though i dont have much experience with new 1x's. With the different chainring tooth sizes, are they more or less likely than a deraillieur baike to drop a chain? I dont think it really matters for the road...but maybe for MTB.
Chain drop likelyhood high: 1xnormal chainring>1xNW+normal RD>2x+normal RD>1xNW+clutched RD>1xNW+clutched RD+chainguide:low likelyhood

In my experience. Mainly with 2x for road, and 1x for mixed road/gravel and cyclocross racing. I personally use a 1xNW+clutched RD+chainguide for my race bike. Mud accumulation can push the chain off a NW chainring without a guide during a race. It is a lot hard to get back on compared to a 2x dropped chain too.
Old 10-17-17, 03:30 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So ...

1) A double chainring setup is better above 22 mph.
2) Two chainrings are better at lower speeds, if you use the small chainring.
3) But, no one uses their small chainring very often.

Conclusion: A single chainring is almost as good as a double? Brilliant!!!

I hear there are engineers experimenting with a revolutionary new setup, where you have still 2 chainrings, but you are only allowed to use the "small" chainring if you pay the manufacturer a hefty licensing fee, good for one hill only.
Old 10-17-17, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 6340 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 3,398 Posts
I think I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again. You all are basing your bias on what you know components will and won't do with currently available for purchase.

But if the new technology gave you the possibility of:
  • gear ratios between 4.82 (53F11R) and 1.06(36F34R)
  • what essentially boils down to one tooth transitions for commonly used range and two to three tooth transitions at the extremes
  • only one shifter
  • no issues greater than todays issues with noise and chain drop (I don't drop chains on my 11x2)
Wouldn't you want that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.