Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bought my first recumbent wooohooo!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bought my first recumbent wooohooo!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 08:30 PM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the info on "leg suck" guys! That is good to know. I am just going to use the regular pedals till I get use to it then I will definitely switch to clipless as soon as possible.
On a happier note, my bike arrived today . I am in the middle of putting it together. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow. So far it looks like I might have to patch the seat on the lower corners and maybe put another cable on going to the front derailleur. It is frayed at this one place where it goes in to a holder on the frame but besides that it looks to in pretty good shape.
Old 11-28-17, 05:56 PM
KaisoArt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vaportrail56
Thanks for the info on "leg suck" guys! That is good to know. I am just going to use the regular pedals till I get use to it then I will definitely switch to clipless as soon as possible.
On a happier note, my bike arrived today . I am in the middle of putting it together. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow. So far it looks like I might have to patch the seat on the lower corners and maybe put another cable on going to the front derailleur. It is frayed at this one place where it goes in to a holder on the frame but besides that it looks to in pretty good shape.
I started with the pedals that have the clip on only one side. It allowed me to ride with one foot clipped in while I practiced un-clipping. If I got shaky the other foot was always free. You can ride them like regular no-clip pedals also.

Like these cheapos.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-28-17, 06:49 PM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

@ KaisoArt, that is a good idea , it did come with some cheap pedals on it.

I got it together last night so when I got home for lunch I road it around the yard in case I fell over it would be in the grass. I had a little trouble starting off, I kept wanting to pull hard on the handlebars but once I got going I did ok. I can tell it is going to take some getting use to. Especially leaning back so far. I am going to take it to the bike shop tomorrow and have them do a tune up on it. The guy their sad it would be ready for the weekend. I will be able to go for a longer ride then. I want to thank everyone for all the tips , I am sure they will be a great help while I learn to ride this thing.
I tried to post a picture but something went wrong, it might be my popup blocker or something.
Old 11-29-17, 06:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
If you're trying to attach a picture directly to your post, there's a max size limit. If you're trying to link from a hosting site, the common mistake is to use the page's URL instead of the picture's URL.
Old 11-29-17, 02:14 PM
RL7836

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I would also add to not wear any bike jerseys or jackets with zippered pockets on the back. Very uncomfortable in fairly short order, in my experience.
I have tons of cycle clothes for conventional diamond frame bikes (DFs) but after trying recumbent-specific shorts & jerseys, I've found that they are more comfortable & functional - pockets on the jerseys where they make sense & shorts without unneeded pads. Two places with decent selections are Kucharik & Bend It Cycling (although there are also many others).

Welcome to the world of recumbents! Give yourself some time to acclimate to your new steed & have fun!
Old 11-29-17, 05:56 PM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
seat bag

If you are looking for a seat bag for your Django, Lone Peak makes one that slips over the top of the seat back. I just purchased a yellow one for my Django and it fits perfect. Made in USA and on sale till Nov. 30 at ModernBike.com Less than $45 shipped. Hard to beat.
Old 11-29-17, 07:28 PM
Vaportrail56

@ BlazingPedals, I have posted pics on here before but since I got the new Firefox I have been having trouble, I might do a restore to an earlier time to try and fix it so I can post pictures again.
@ RL836, thanks for the links, I have been checking out some jerseys on there.
@ cyclehealth, I have been checking out both Lone Peak and ModernBike to find the bag you got but there are so many. Could you post a link if it ain`t to much trouble of the one you got. Also I see you have a 2004 Django, how do you tell what year it is? I don`t know what year mine is.
Edit: @ cyclehealth, I think I found the bag you got.

Last edited by Vaportrail56; 11-29-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 08:38 PM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

https://www.modernbike.com/lone-peak...eat-bag-yellow

Person I purchased bike from listed it as a 2004. But you got me thinking "how did he know it was a 2004?" I will have to do some homework and let you know.
Old 11-29-17, 08:46 PM
cyclehealth

Here is a link on info regarding 2004 and 2005 Djangos. Burley Django: Changes for '05? - CycleBanter.com
Old 11-29-17, 08:58 PM
Vaportrail56

Hey great, yep that was the bag I was looking at, I`ve got to get that one to put all my stuff in. I might get the yellow one. It`s a really good price too.
As for the link, it`s very informative, thanks for posting. When I get my bike back from the LBS I will check it over and try to see what year it is. Looks like there is a lot of changes so maybe I can narrow it down to the year it is.
Mine doesn`t have disc brakes so it must be an early model.

Last edited by Vaportrail56; 11-29-17 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 05:55 PM
cyclehealth

Here is another link. This one for a 2002 Django. https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=91664
Old 11-30-17, 06:40 PM
jeffh129

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve used mountain bike pedals on my recumbents for the last 15 years, the pedals with the pins that stick up. I then wear regular walking shoes. Most have some type of pattern or groove on the bottom. I have NEVER had my feet slip off the pedal. Never experienced “leg suck” with those pedals. Advantages? No need for special shoes, no clipping in, you can get off the bike and you are already in your walking shoes !
Old 12-01-17, 06:12 PM
Vaportrail56

Originally Posted by cyclehealth
Here is another link. This one for a 2002 Django. https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear....aspx?id=91664
@ cyclehealth, thanks for the link, I checked out all the components and they checked out, same burgandy color too. It`s a 2002 model.
I got it back from the LBS yesterday from getting it tuned up, they put new shifting cables on it too. I put a computer, lights, air pump and water bottle holder on it. I am getting it ready for tomorrow.
I think I might have a virus on my computer not letting me upload pictures because I have posted some on here before. I am going to clear out my cache and cookies to see if that helps first.
Old 12-01-17, 08:25 PM
cyclehealth

Like you I am new to recumbents having purchased my Django in early November. I am interested in hearing about your initial thoughts after the first couple of rides. Work has been busy but I have managed to get out a handful of times for a total of about fifty miles. I plan on getting out this weekend for another twenty to thirty miles. I have found it to be a fun bike to ride. I was a little wobbly at first but much less so now unless going very slowly up a hill. I tell myself "relax shoulders, arms, take slow deep breath. Yes, that it, relax." Seems to help. I took tools along to make handlebar and stem adjustments on the first couple of rides trying out different positions till it felt more comfortable and controllable. I have also tilted the seatback forward to the second position from all the way forward.
Here is a link to a video taken by my friend of me riding the Django on my first day of riding it. Have made numerous adjustments since.

https://www.facebook.com/Maine-Recum...2346256142336/

Look for "Mark riding Django"

As the video documents, yes, I am part dork. It has yet to be determined what percentage. It was thirty eight degrees that afternoon and I have my insulated ski helmet and gloves on.

I found the bike to be rock solid at speed. Top speed reached so far about thirty five MPH. Overall comfortable enough. A different part of my legs get tired compared to my DF bikes. No pain, just tired. More effort seems to be required to get up the really steep, but thankfully short hills we have around here. I also notice I have to start pedaling a little sooner when I run out of downhill than I do on my carbon road bike. Does not seem to roll as effortlessly as my df bike I am still awaiting for my new cycle computer to arrive so I have no hard numbers yet to compare.

Pedaling downhill on a slight to moderate grade is pure joy. I want it to last forever. But no chance of that around here. What goes down must eventually go up. Oh well, pedal. Pedal more. Now some more. Almost at the top. Ahhhh, downhill again. What joy!

It takes VERY little input at the handlebars to make a turn or round a corner. Careful. Very quick and nimble.

I have hit several bad bumps and the bike seemed to almost jump over them. My feet almost came off the pedals once. I must be careful, do not want to break a leg. I do not have clip ins. I am using stock pedals with the nubs on them. I am old school and could not get the hang of unclipping. Kept falling over and went back to toe clips on my road bike. I may consider Half toe clips for the Django. I did notice if I saw a bump coming I would rotate my feet and pedals slightly forward to make them more horizontal than vertical and it seemed less likely my feet would fall off.
Old 12-01-17, 09:02 PM
Vaportrail56

I checked out your video, looks like you did good. I rode mine around the block after work trying to get the seat and handlebars adjusted for tomorrows ride. I didn`t ride it to long, it started getting dark but the little bit I did ride it, I see what you mean by VERY little input at the handlebars . I believe it will turn on a dime,lol. That is a good idea to take some tools along so I can adjust thing.
I have been riding at a trail in Milton,Fl. (about 25 miles away) with my DF bikes because there is no traffic on the MUP and when it ends I take the country roads through farm land with hardly any traffic. You start getting into some small hills too. That is where I think I will go tomorrow.
https://www.traillink.com/trail/blac...e-state-trail/
The other place I ride is at Fort Pickens on Pensacola Beach.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Florida.html
It is not as long of a ride but the scenery is great. It is flat and usually windy there. They are going to reopen the park tomorrow, it has been closed for about four months because a tropical storm messed up the road.
It is suppose to reach 74 tomorrow so it ought to be some good riding weather.
Oh, I weighed it and it weighed about 32lbs. so it is not nearly as light as my road bikes but I just want to cruise with it anyway.I will probably get in a good workout

Last edited by Vaportrail56; 12-01-17 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-02-17, 12:38 PM
Vaportrail56

Update: I got a chance to ride today. Rode about twenty miles at the MUP in Milton,Fl. The bike did really good as for shifting and handling. Got in some hill climbing too. It is not as fast as my road bikes but I was kinda expecting that but man it sure is fun going down hill or with a tailwind. I really like it a lot. Got some stares from some folks. Only seen one other recumbent and one trike while I was riding. My computer kept cutting out on the front tire so I might have to move it to the back to see if that helps. I wore a pair of mountain bike shorts I use to wear and a jersey I bought back when I started riding road bikes. I also wore my work shoes and didn`t have any problems with my feet trying to come off the pedals. The pedals look like they are BMX pedals or mountain bike pedals so I might leave them on a while unless I have a problem. Anyway I am really liking this bike, I wish I had got one years ago. Thanks again to all that helped me with the tips on what to do.
I guess my pictures were to big earlier when I tried to post but here are some from today after my ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2455.JPG (228.5 KB, 59 views)
IMG_2457.JPG (227.7 KB, 62 views)
IMG_2458.JPG (233.6 KB, 62 views)
IMG_2461.JPG (211.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-02-17, 04:55 PM
cyclehealth

HTML Code:
 I also wore my work shoes and didn`t have any problems with my feet trying to come off the pedals
The only times I have felt my feet coming off was when I hit a big bump and my feet bounced up off the pedals and then fell back down onto the pedals. But I can see where a foot could possibly miss the pedal on the foots way back down. Just something to be mindful of.

I also got out for a ride today, just under twenty miles. Only 38 degrees but no wind so it was rather nice. I now have about 65 miles on mine and each ride I am feeling more comfortable and find myself saying to myself "This is kinda weird" less and less. Tomorrow may be the last ride of the season as snow is forecast for next weekend.

Thanks for the photos. I must admit I really like the look of the Django simple minimalist frame.

Kickstand looks a little long.

Be safe and enjoy!
Old 12-02-17, 07:54 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Vaportrail56
It is not as fast as my road bikes but I was kinda expecting that but man it sure is fun going down hill or with a tailwind..
Downhills were made for tandems and recumbents. Pretty good for recumbent tandems, too.
Rollers are also nice.
Old 12-04-17, 07:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Riding a bent in rollers, it pays to get aero, soft-pedal down, use your momentum to carry you up as far as possible, then spin intelligently to carry you to the top. Rinse and repeat. Riding with uprights in rollers is work. It's often easier to drop them on the first downhill. Done right, they'll never catch up until you want them to catch up.
Old 12-05-17, 05:28 PM
ORrecumbentEZ3

Bikes: Sun EZ Tri Classic, Tour Easy Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bent. Congrats!