Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Your Motivation For Becoming Car-Free or Car-Light

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Your Motivation For Becoming Car-Free or Car-Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 01:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
A) Who cares about George Orwell??

B) What in the world are you talking about? No one here is telling you your reasons are "off topic". I don't know what thread you're reading!!

Maybe you need to lay off the Christmas eggnog too! You're seeing things!!!
Wow, did somebody give you a bunch of new emoticons for Christmas?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-11-17, 01:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Wow, did somebody give you a bunch of new emoticons for Christmas?
They've been available to all of us for years. Look to the right.
Old 12-11-17, 01:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
Why are you, or were you, car-free or car-light? What motivated you to take that step?

There are threads here from people wanting encouragement to become car-free or car-light ... maybe sharing what motivated those of us who have gone that route will encourage others.

Talk about whatever motivation you want ... or perhaps things that did not motivate you.
Old 12-15-17, 01:20 AM
Saale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, so I guess this'll also work nicely as an introduction. I've spent much of my childhood and teenage years riding bikes, partially for free time activity because grew up in the '90s and '00s right on the edge between the analogue and digital generations, and partially for transportation because this being small town Germany pretty much anything was in riding distance including school and friends, and driving is expensive and generally only permitted from age 18 onwards here.

I'm since more or less in the process of finishing education and settling in at an office job, I'm at year 2.5 of a 3.5 year apprenticeship, but approaching age 30 I'm starting to notice that all this sitting around is becoming taxing on my fitness. I've long adored cars and looked forward to owning and driving them, but with costs being a bit high even for econoboxes, my workplace thankfully being a very comfortable distance from home and me still being a bachelor with no major transportation needs I've started wondering if the driving is even worth it. For this winter I'll continue being lazy for a bit longer, but I'm planning to build a bicycle ready for spring. I'll still require a dependable daily driver for the rest of the coming year for regularly going to school further away, but I'll finish my apprenticeship in a year or so, at which point I'm looking to get rid of a daily driver and instead get invested in a vintage weekend project car to actually live out my passion for cars which is impossible driving an econobox.

so tl;dr liked riding bikes as a child; wanna ride bikes again because of fitness and short distances; money saved on a daily driver would allow me to get a vintage project car
Old 12-15-17, 11:11 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Saale
Alright, so I guess this'll also work nicely as an introduction. I've spent much of my childhood and teenage years riding bikes, partially for free time activity because grew up in the '90s and '00s right on the edge between the analogue and digital generations, and partially for transportation because this being small town Germany pretty much anything was in riding distance including school and friends, and driving is expensive and generally only permitted from age 18 onwards here.

I'm since more or less in the process of finishing education and settling in at an office job, I'm at year 2.5 of a 3.5 year apprenticeship, but approaching age 30 I'm starting to notice that all this sitting around is becoming taxing on my fitness. I've long adored cars and looked forward to owning and driving them, but with costs being a bit high even for econoboxes, my workplace thankfully being a very comfortable distance from home and me still being a bachelor with no major transportation needs I've started wondering if the driving is even worth it. For this winter I'll continue being lazy for a bit longer, but I'm planning to build a bicycle ready for spring. I'll still require a dependable daily driver for the rest of the coming year for regularly going to school further away, but I'll finish my apprenticeship in a year or so, at which point I'm looking to get rid of a daily driver and instead get invested in a vintage weekend project car to actually live out my passion for cars which is impossible driving an econobox.

so tl;dr liked riding bikes as a child; wanna ride bikes again because of fitness and short distances; money saved on a daily driver would allow me to get a vintage project car
Welcome. (Or wilkommen?)
Old 12-17-17, 05:01 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cooker
I'm not attacking you, I think you're a very fine person. I'm commenting on a phenomenon that puzzles me - people who live very green lives, but want others to know ("emphatically") that they aren't doing it to be green. I don't get the seeming contradiction, and hoped you would offer some insight.
I've been similarly puzzled by that sentiment. It would appear that some people living green want to be sure nobody thinks they're doing it for that reason, even in part. It's as though they'd be embarrassed if somebody thought they don't want to pollute the planet like any good American. They may be falling down on the job but not on purpose!
Old 12-17-17, 07:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Walter S
I've been similarly puzzled by that sentiment. It would appear that some people living green want to be sure nobody thinks they're doing it for that reason, even in part. It's as though they'd be embarrassed if somebody thought they don't want to pollute the planet like any good American. They may be falling down on the job but not on purpose!
No, that's not it ... if cooker ever asks the question in his own thread, I might be inclined to fill you in.

Meanwhile, in this thread, if someone wants to tell us what does and does not motivate him/her, that's fine.
Old 12-17-17, 03:51 PM
Saale

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
From my (admittedly foreign) point of view there seems to be a growing anti-intellectual sentiment in the United States, and environmental protection is a movement stemming from an intellectual background. I mean, some people insist the Earth is flat just to contradict the intellectual consensus nowadays, it's silly.
Old 12-17-17, 04:49 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
From my (admittedly foreign) point of view there seems to be a growing anti-intellectual sentiment in the United States, and environmental protection is a movement stemming from an intellectual background. I mean, some people insist the Earth is flat just to contradict the intellectual consensus nowadays, it's silly.
Sounds like you are saying that the Environmental Movement in Germany wasn't motivated by politics but only by intellect? I would hope that isn't your motivation for moving towards car light because if it is political there will by necessity be two sides, pro and con, at least intellectually. ( Admittedly only one American's point of view.)

Last edited by Mobile 155; 12-17-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 06:14 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
BINGO!!! and despite our politics I'll still pursue a car free lifestyle.
Old 12-19-17, 06:58 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
Back in graduate school. the nearest parking to my office was so distant that driving made no sense. I came to regard bicycles as devices for daily transportation and cars as weekend fun. Not driving on weekdays or in bad weather has helped me keep my car for 31 years.
Old 12-19-17, 08:12 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by takenreasy
BINGO!!! and despite our politics I'll still pursue a car free lifestyle.
Oh, You mean political bribery/er, lobbyists running the country...
Old 12-19-17, 10:14 PM
Mark Mandolin

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the correct thread to post why I chose a car free lifestyle? Seems more like a forum to practice debate skills. Which is cool. Healthy polite debate trades ideas and points of view.
Owning and driving a car is the ultimate illusion of freedom. My humble opinion.
The car payments and general expense mean your chained to a job. You don't get to drive how you want tons of rules. Can't stop for a few cold beers and get behind the wheel morally reprehensible and large penalty if you do and get pinched.
Because of crowded streets during rush hour, you end up on a 12 lane highway tapping your brakes stopping and going so you can't operate your machine to its full potential.
And finally if for some reason you are under surveillance, having a car makes the private eyes job easy. Are you home? Yes car in driveway. Tailing a car easy in a car. Impossible to tail individual on crowded bus and what does private eye do with his car when you ride off the road down a bike path. I've seen private eye logs and yes they lose pedestrians easier and pedestrian doesn't even know he's being watched!
However in North America commute distances are huge transit is often poor or non existent and a car is a must have tool. You can't knock a farmer in North Dakota for owning a gas guzzling pick up.

More and more we realize the pollution is harmful to us and the planet. I liken this issue to second hand cigarette smoke. Growing up in the sixties the cigarette smoke would waft from the teachers lounge and into the hallway of my grade school. Times have changed. The attitude to exhaust pollution is starting to but there is a long way to go.
Honestly I can't afford a car so I'm not sacrificing much. I'm living car free through life circumstances. It is nice to be green but it would be great to have a weekend car to take the kids camping. Your shut out of a lot without a car living in Canada.
But if you live in Vancouver, Toronto and other large cities with good transit car free is doable with little hardship. A bike and bus pass is a thrifty option saving you money and keeping you fit. You can always rent a car for a weekend road trip.
Peace and happy holidays!

Last edited by Mark Mandolin; 12-19-17 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 09:22 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
The cost of Insurance, Registration, Fuel, Maintenance, Parking, Tolls (where applicable), not to mention the upfront cost of buying a car or a pickup or van.
I decided there were other things I'd rather spend my hard earned money on.
That was in 1995. I have not owned a motor vehicle since, and to be honest, I have not missed it.
When needed, my job provided a car/pickup/van and paid all the expenses.

Last edited by bicyclridr4life; 12-22-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-22-17, 04:19 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
The cost of Insurance, Registration, Fuel, Maintenance, Parking, Tolls (where applicable), not to mention the upfront cost of buying a car or a pickup or van.
I decided there were other things I'd rather spend my hard earned money on.
That was in 1995. I have not owned a motor vehicle since, and to be honest, I have not missed it.
When needed, my job provided a car/pickup/van and paid all the expenses.
If that is car free then I was car free for 19 years when my car was provided and serviced and fueled by my employer.
Old 12-22-17, 04:24 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
If that is car free then I was car free for 19 years when my car was provided and serviced and fueled by my employer.
Did you drive it home and have it for personal use?
Old 12-22-17, 06:25 PM
Mobile 155

All of the above. Plus they paid for my cell phone. Well they did till the tax code changed and I had to pay half the expenses or give up taking the car home. As a manager I was under contract not hourly so I could be called in even at night or weekends.
Old 12-22-17, 06:33 PM
Mobile 155

I should mention my neighbor was a motor officer and he always brought his motorcycle home. He just never used it for shopping or going out to dinner. But he commuted five to six days a week to and from work on the departments dime. A perk for the job. Large companies used to offer it as an incentive to leave one big company and come to theirs.
Old 12-22-17, 09:25 PM
Mobile 155

I thought they stopped the practice after I retired but some government agencies even close to me seem to still have the ability to take their vehicle home.

https://forum.officer.com/forum/local-discussion-groups/u-s-states/california/45197-ca-agencies-with-take-home-cars
Old 12-22-17, 11:16 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

All of the above.
Well then, no, I wouldn't call that car-free, but I don't know if bicyclridr4life's situation was the same as yours.
Old 12-23-17, 12:06 AM
Mobile 155

Well then, no, I wouldn't call that car-free, but I don't know if bicyclridr4life's situation was the same as yours.
No it isn’t it seems. But he said, “When needed, my job provided a car/pickup/van and paid all the expenses“. So he has access when needed for free it seems. Much like someone that has a car in the family. Doesn’t sound car free exactly.
Old 12-23-17, 08:23 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

No it isn’t it seems. But he said, “When needed, my job provided a car/pickup/van and paid all the expenses“. So he has access when needed for free it seems. Much like someone that has a car in the family. Doesn’t sound car free exactly.
He or she can clarify if they wish, but it sounded like they meant a vehicle was provided for specific job purposes, not unrestricted ongoing personal use.
Old 12-23-17, 07:21 PM
GWGorham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car lite I suppose

Giving up my truck in April, bike only commuting after that. Wife has a vehicle she'll use and I would be able to when absolutely needed. However for about anything and everything I can, biking year round in MN.
Old 12-27-17, 02:43 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
It was 26 degrees below zero where I live this morning. I have zero motivation for car free or car light.
Old 12-27-17, 03:24 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by prj71
It was 26 degrees below zero where I live this morning. I have zero motivation for car free or car light.
So why post in this forum? Lonely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.