Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Presta valve caps uncool or what?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Presta valve caps uncool or what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 07:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Pondering this a few days, I think the world will continue to turn wether you ride with or without caps on you stems.

I guess I could make a case for black frames. They get really hot in the sun in the summer time. They give off heat diffusing the air around them selves. Therefore there is less aero drag if you ride a black bike. Again in a 100 mile race you will ride it in .000476 seconds less time.
Old 02-08-18, 08:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,841 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Pondering this a few days, I think the world will continue to turn wether you ride with or without caps on you stems.

I guess I could make a case for black frames. They get really hot in the sun in the summer time. They give off heat diffusing the air around them selves. Therefore there is less aero drag if you ride a black bike. Again in a 100 mile race you will ride it in .000476 seconds less time.
Yeah, but all that extra heat increases the chance that your carbon frame will asplode (especially if you use your massive guads to drope the hamer and dial up 400W).

Yup, I went there. If Godwin's law says that any internet discussion goes on long enough will eventually result in someone invoking hitler/nazis, should we call it Sheldon's law that any BF discussion that goes on long enough will result in someone saying your carbon frame is going to asplode throwing your baby bolts everywhere in honor of Sheldon Brown?
Old 02-08-18, 08:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Hmmmm.....well the only problem with that is...they all don't. Vittoria Latex tubes come with a smooth valve stem and no locknut. I guess they just don't care about their customer base.

Locknuts obviously aren’t supplied with tubes that have smooth valve stems, but caps still are and should be used as recommended if one is interested in ultimate performance and safety. It’s still better to buy the correct tubes in the first place and run the locknut (now two!) for all the reasons covered previously. Running with the (standard issue) cap only really is the bare minimum here.

And since you mentioned it, running latex tubes is another huge mistake made by some barking up the wrong tree in search of performance gains. Since they lose air pressure much more quickly than standard tubes, the tires spend little time at the ultimate pressure. Sure, one can get away with this on a short ride around the block, but on any substantial ride the pressure either starts out too high, or ends up too low for maximum performance. Or worse, the rider has to stop and top them off! Any perceived performance advantage of latex tubes quickly disappears in real world conditions.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 02-08-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 09:06 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
All this talk prompted me to buy a bag of anodized aluminum presta valve caps, off of Amazon, to replace the missing or cheap plastic ones on my bikes. Really uncool, to say the least, but they should last!
Don't use those if you ride in the snow or where there's wet road salt and such. They will corrode and fuse to the valve threading.

I put those on my car. Big mistake. Had to cut 1 off CAREFULLY with a Dremmel. Just enough to weaken it so I could pry it open without hurting the valve threading.

It didn't take long to fuse either. Maybe a month. Granted that's on my car that I was putting a lot more miles on in sloppy winter conditions than I do on my bike.

Just sayin'

That being said....I put 2 of those same alloy valve caps that weren't corroded on my bike and they are fine to this day. When I got a new bike last year I bought new ones that match this bike and gladly put those on too. Those are fine. And I just bought another set to put on my daughter's bike as well. So I'm not anti 'cheap alloy valve caps from Amazon'. They do look cool. But I don't ride my bike in winter conditions where wet road salt is going to get into them in large quantities. I'd never put them on a car again though.

If you live in Arizona where it's dry and they don't use salt on the roads, they are probably fine. If you live in the North East, never put them on a car.
Old 02-08-18, 09:06 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Sure....the WORLD will turn. But will your bike wheel?
Old 02-08-18, 09:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Sure....the WORLD will turn. But will your bike wheel?
Well mine has, WITH the cap on it. My bent has over 16,000 miles on it with the caps, and the trike has about 5000 with them.
Old 02-08-18, 09:44 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 5,285 Times in 1,844 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
People, please....

It is a jam nut, not a lock nut.

Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

-Tim-
What flavor jam is it??
Old 02-08-18, 09:47 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

Locknuts obviously aren’t supplied with tubes that have smooth valve stems, but caps still are and should be used as recommended if one is interested in ultimate performance and safety. It’s still better to buy the correct tubes in the first place and run the locknut (now two!) for all the reasons covered previously. Running with the (standard issue) cap only really is the bare minimum here.

And since you mentioned it, running latex tubes is another huge mistake made by some barking up the wrong tree in search of performance gains. Since they lose air pressure much more quickly than standard tubes, the tires spend little time at the ultimate pressure. Sure, one can get away with this on a short ride around the block, but on any substantial ride the pressure either starts out too high, or ends up too low for maximum performance. Or worse, the rider has to stop and top them off! Any perceived performance advantage of latex tubes quickly disappears in real world conditions.
This is so wrong! Everyone knows you burn more calories by stopping every 5 minutes to break out the frame pump to get the latex tube back to optimum pressure.
Old 02-08-18, 10:05 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Could you give me a source for them. Thanks
Probably not in those funky recumbent sizes. I image it's like the 24" on the front of my old TT bike. Hard to find much to fit it.
Yep. I misunderstood the wheel/tube size needs in rydabent's post. Sorry, no can help.
Old 02-08-18, 10:14 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

There should be a disclaimer on the package...

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that the use of this product will increase rolling resistance with every mile and every minute. For optimum performance, re-inflate constantly.
Old 02-08-18, 10:26 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't so much say they are uncool as not necessary and an obstacle to inflating your tires. I take the valve caps off my car tires, too.
Old 02-08-18, 10:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Well mine has, WITH the cap on it. My bent has over 16,000 miles on it with the caps, and the trike has about 5000 with them.

But have you been rotating your caps on schedule?
Old 02-08-18, 10:42 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

People, please....

It is a jam nut, not a lock nut.

Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

-Tim-

Ha ha ha.

Check this out...

First of all, a jam nut is a type of lock nut. So all jam nuts ARE lock nuts.

Second, the nut on a Presta valve is not a jam/lock nut at all. It doesn't meet the definition. The nut is being used in the role of a standard single fastener. It's securing a threaded shaft to another surface (the rim). There are not two nuts being jammed/locked against one another, one securing the other.

So either way, we (you and I) have been wrong, since, like, forever, Dude.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 02-08-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 10:46 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Retaining ring?
Old 02-08-18, 11:01 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

VSRD (Valve Shaft Retention Device)
Old 02-08-18, 11:03 AM
ZIZZWHEEL

Bikes: 2014 Lemond limited edition, 91 Calfee Lemond team Z, 91 Lemond team Z steel bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sure they are cool, it`s like a cover for your schmekel. Always practice "safe riding".
Old 02-08-18, 12:45 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It would be nice to come here and not have to read penis and condom jokes.

-Tim-
Old 02-08-18, 12:48 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
What flavor jam is it??
He told you what flavor it is. Bon appetit.
Old 02-08-18, 12:53 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Don't use those if you ride in the snow or where there's wet road salt and such. They will corrode and fuse to the valve threading.

I put those on my car. Big mistake. Had to cut 1 off CAREFULLY with a Dremmel. Just enough to weaken it so I could pry it open without hurting the valve threading.
Never put metal caps on aluminum TPMS sensor valve stems, either. I've seen them corrode to the point where you can't get them off. Plastic caps are fine. But that's why those aluminum TPMS valve stems require special nickle-plated valve cores, because if you put a regular brass one in it will corrode and you'll never get it out again, and will have to replace the whole sensor which isn't cheap.
Old 02-08-18, 12:55 PM
jamesdak 

-Tim-
Or preaching and judgement of others.

Have we made it to 10 pages yet???
Old 02-08-18, 12:57 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Never put metal caps on aluminum TPMS sensor valve stems, either. I've seen them corrode to the point where you can't get them off. Plastic caps are fine. But that's why those aluminum TPMS valve stems require special nickle-plated valve cores, because if you put a regular brass one in it will corrode and you'll never get it out again, and will have to replace the whole sensor which isn't cheap.
Those of use that ride latex (can I use that word without offending??? ) need someone to create TPMS for use so that we know when our tubes leak out to much air during each ride...
Old 02-08-18, 01:03 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
He told you what flavor it is. Bon appetit.
Hmmm... you know my cat doesn't chew on the nuts be he sure loves the valve caps I discard.
Old 02-08-18, 02:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7706 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,913 Posts

-Tim-
if you had not made an issue, I would not have known what a "schmekel" was and would not have read a "penis and condom" joke, but just some unintelligeable Yiddish aphorism.

Seems to me You are the troublemaker here, sir.

Old 02-08-18, 02:54 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I use aluminum valve caps on all of my bikes with presta valves.

Deity Presta Valve Caps | Jenson USA
Old 02-08-18, 03:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7706 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I use aluminum valve caps on all of my bikes with presta valves.

Deity Presta Valve Caps | Jenson USA
The blue ones are tasty .... and the more weather resistant 6061 alloy as well (recommended in a post above.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.