Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I used to be indecisive...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 09:23 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

...now, I'm not so sure.

I'm getting ready to purchase a new bike, and have narrowed it down to two. After much research, test riding, and consideration ...I'm sitting squarely on top of the fence. I see all the time here at BF, people asking for advice and help with buying decisions. I'm like, c'mon guy, make up your own mind! Yet, here I am doing the very same thing. LOL. But it is true, experienced cyclists can shed valuable light that can shorten the learning curve, and provide info that otherwise wouldn't be known and considered.

The bikes I'm torn between are the '18 Specialized Roubaix Sport and '18 Trek Domane SL5 Disc.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=240081-128889

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1447000-2018/

Qualities that are important to me are:
(1) Ride Quality
(2) Feel and Fit
(3) Components
(4) Price
(5) Looks

Ride Quality, the Roubaix is most impressive. The "Future Shock" does indeed work well. It's not just a gimmick. Really smooths out bumps, dips, etc.. The Domane with "IsoSpeed Decouplers" is very smooth too, but just a bit harsher ride than the Roubaix.
Advantage - Roubaix

With Feel and Fit, the Domane appeals to me more. Hard to explain really, but with the Roubaix it feels as if I'm more on top of the bike, while with the Domane it feels like I'm more in the bike. Both bikes were set up pretty closely, but in all probability, the Roubaix's fit can be better. But all things considered, the Domane just feels more comfortable. The Domane also feels more stable, which I happen to like. The Roubaix's steering feels more responsive and squirrely, which I'd assume most would prefer. But for me, the Domane just feels more solid.
Advantage - Domane

With Components, the most obvious preference is the hydraulic discs of the Domane over the mechanical discs of the Roubaix. Although, I must say the mechanical discs of this Roubaix seem better than those of my current '16 Roubaix SL4.
Groupset is identical with the 105, although shifting did seem smoother and quieter with the Roubaix Sport over the Domane.
I feel the superior frame goes to the Roubaix, while all other components favor the Domane.
As far as the other major components go, you guys with much more knowledge would need to advise me on which truly has better.
Advantage - Domane

As far as price, the Domane is $300 more, due to the better brakes. But, $2500 is my budget which covers either.
Advantage - Slightly to Roubaix.

Looks, is a tossup. The Roubaix is a bit more flashy with more red (orange-red really) on a gloss carbon frame, where the Domane is more subdued with a charcoal (gray) with hints of red and maroon. So, I guess it just depends on what day it is and what mood I'm in as to which I would prefer. LOL
Advantage - Even

So, here I sit atop the fence. Any and all opinions, advice, experiences and criticisms will be considered.
Old 03-07-18, 09:43 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Toss a coin.
Old 03-07-18, 09:51 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Toss a coin.
I'm afraid it might not land on the side I want it to.
Old 03-07-18, 09:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Future Shock doesn't appeal to me and the turkey neck seatpost is fugly.

I haven't had nearly enough time on my Domane, but I've come away impressed with the time that I have had. To me, the Iso is more pronounced in road-holding, rather than comfort concerns - the bike just feels more planted and secure (over poor surfaces) that any of my previous bikes.

I would suggest that you look at the Domane Gravel, as I did - it's the same price and the same frame (different paint job) as the Domane Disc, but it's going to come with 35mm tires and (here's the key part) it's going to come with Ultegra-level levers and calipers (RS685 vs RS505) - nice (free!) upgrades if the paint job doesn't dissuade you.

Edited to add: the Domane SL5 Gravel is getting to be very hard to get your hands on, so you may need to do some looking for one in your size.
Old 03-07-18, 10:04 AM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Using the five qualities from the OP and the two choices given, I'd go with the Roubaix.
Old 03-07-18, 10:06 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I'm afraid it might not land on the side I want it to.
Then pick the one that coincides with the side you want
I myself had a hard time deciding if I want to respond to the thread or not...maybe...I don't really know!
Old 03-07-18, 10:15 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 330 Posts
I mean, I can usually come up with an opinion on anything regardless of whether I have any actual knowledge or experience. (This is BF after all).

But yeah I've got nothing. I suspect you'll be perfectly happy with either. Maybe you should base it off of something like which company do you like better, or which LBS is better, or which pro rider that is sponsored by the company do you like the most, or is Mercury in retrograde, or something like that?
Old 03-07-18, 10:17 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Then pick the one that coincides with the side you want
I myself had a hard time deciding if I want to respond to the thread or not...maybe...I don't really know!
Haha...

Just being a little sarcastic with the coin thing.

Seriously, I would like some advice on which has better "all other" components, maybe some insight on the different geometry of each, and hear from owners of either.
Old 03-07-18, 10:26 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by ksryder
I mean, I can usually come up with an opinion on anything regardless of whether I have any actual knowledge or experience. (This is BF after all).

But yeah I've got nothing. I suspect you'll be perfectly happy with either. Maybe you should base it off of something like which company do you like better, or which LBS is better, or which pro rider that is sponsored by the company do you like the most, or is Mercury in retrograde, or something like that?
Company, meh... either. Although I do like Specialized products (helmets, clothing, gloves, shoes, equipment, etc..). Never been disappointed with anything from them.
Same LBS for both.
Pro rider tie-breaker, ALL THINGS would have to be perfectly equal in every way! LOL
Old 03-07-18, 10:38 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When in doubt, get the one that's NOT the Trek.
Old 03-07-18, 12:25 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do your real friends say?
Old 03-07-18, 12:57 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts
Get both, and then also get a Synapse.
Old 03-07-18, 01:19 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
Which one has greater tire clearance? Trend it to wider tires at lower pressure. I got a gravel bike partly for this reason. Of course the trend to wider tires is to smooth out the ride, which you are also getting with both of these bikes.
Old 03-07-18, 01:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Sounds to me like the Domane is the way to go. Your description of the Roubaix's smoothed out feel from shock absorbers, is probably also the reason you don't feel "in" the bike. It's like the proverbial cadillac floating down the highway vs. something tighter like a BMW or such. One feels great.. the other connects you to the road more.

Also fwiw, both bikes are not equivalently 105 drivetrains. The Spesh has after-market chain (KMC), Crank (Praxis), and Brakeset (Tektro).. I've never understood the frankensteining approach when these guys spec their bikes.
Old 03-07-18, 01:41 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Which one has greater tire clearance? Trend it to wider tires at lower pressure. I got a gravel bike partly for this reason. Of course the trend to wider tires is to smooth out the ride, which you are also getting with both of these bikes.
The Domane, in Gravel trim, comes equipped with 35s. Looking at mine, there's an additional 4-5mm clearance at both the fork and chainstays - not enough for me to feel comfortable bumping up to 38s.
Old 03-07-18, 02:07 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I suspect you'll be perfectly happy with either.
Or, you'll be second guessing your decision with either... :-)
Old 03-07-18, 02:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7703 Post(s)
Liked 3,620 Times in 1,908 Posts
As far as I am concerned, i rdie a bike. If it fits well and rides well it is a good bike.

Which bike do you prefer riding?

Also ... did you really come here admitting that you set one up properly but no the other? You can't be Too serious .... Dial in the set-up on both bikes, do a good test ride, and take the one which rides better. If you aren't willing to do a valid, head-to-head comparison, i am not willing to say anymore.
Old 03-07-18, 02:56 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Keep the SL4 and save up for a fancier bike. Or go on a riding vacation.
Old 03-07-18, 03:36 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Maelochs
As far as I am concerned, i rdie a bike. If it fits well and rides well it is a good bike.

Which bike do you prefer riding?

Also ... did you really come here admitting that you set one up properly but no the other? You can't be Too serious .... Dial in the set-up on both bikes, do a good test ride, and take the one which rides better. If you aren't willing to do a valid, head-to-head comparison, i am not willing to say anymore.
Gee thanks. Good for you that you "rdie" your bike.

No, both bikes were set up by the LBS fairly closely, without the guy spending an unreasonable amount of time on each. It wasn't a $400 fit by any means on either.

Not sure how valid (by your definition) the head-to-head comparison should've been, but an informative one was done nevertheless. Did you not comprehend that?

I guess I did say "any and all opinions, advice, experiences and criticisms will be considered."
Old 03-07-18, 03:39 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by 12strings
Or, you'll be second guessing your decision with either... :-)
I see what you did there...
Old 03-07-18, 04:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22732 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 4,230 Posts
I expect you will be very happy with either one.

Which LBS is better? You could use that as a tie breaker if you so desired.
Old 03-07-18, 04:17 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by datlas
I expect you will be very happy with either one.

Which LBS is better? You could use that as a tie breaker if you so desired.
Same LBS for both.
Old 03-07-18, 04:27 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Go with the Trek. It seems it took most of your metrics and it has hydraulic brakes.
Old 03-07-18, 05:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7703 Post(s)
Liked 3,620 Times in 1,908 Posts
Sorry. I was just reacting to some guy who wrote this:
Originally Posted by one4smoke
With Feel and Fit, the Domane appeals to me more. Hard to explain really, but with the Roubaix it feels as if I'm more on top of the bike, while with the Domane it feels like I'm more in the bike. Both bikes were set up pretty closely, but in all probability, the Roubaix's fit can be better.
If one bike “felt” better …. Bu the other wasn’t set up so well …. I couldn’t tell which was better.

You ask for advice, I take you seriously … and you don’t like that … cool. I will still do what I can.

As I said, and as you yourself emphasized … the “feel “ of the bike is important. But if one was set up just a little badly and the other not … I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money uyntil I got them both dialed in, so I could have a better comparison.

If you don’t want advice … yeah, don’t ask for it?

Or do, and get what you get.

In any case, you are going to get what you get, and since I don’t work for either brand …. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-07-18, 05:54 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sorry. I was just reacting to some guy who wrote this:

If one bike “felt” better …. Bu the other wasn’t set up so well …. I couldn’t tell which was better.

You ask for advice, I take you seriously … and you don’t like that … cool. I will still do what I can.

As I said, and as you yourself emphasized … the “feel “ of the bike is important. But if one was set up just a little badly and the other not … I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money uyntil I got them both dialed in, so I could have a better comparison.

If you don’t want advice … yeah, don’t ask for it?

Or do, and get what you get.

In any case, you are going to get what you get, and since I don’t work for either brand …. Enjoy the ride.
To me, in order to get a decent fit, it's either through trial and error over time on your own, or an expensive fit with some guy with all kinds of fancy tape measures. Neither of which were practical under those circumstances. My guy at the LBS got as close as he could without devoting excessive time to it. Could the set ups been better? Sure. But I had what I had. Regardless, I was able to glean quite a bit of info from the head-to-head rides.

Thanks for your "advice."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.