Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assistance On Power Meter Purchase

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Assistance On Power Meter Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 03:55 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
FWIW I've gotten an 11-32 to work with both 105 and Ultegra 5800/6800 short cage RDs. Sizing the chain for the 32t makes the 34x11/12 unusable but those aren't combos you'd use regularly anyways
Old 03-07-18, 09:45 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
Thanks a lot for the informative response! Considering it's not an easy "yes, yes", I'll likely take it up with my LBS guy before buying.
You can google up pictures of the short cage and medium cage Ultegra derailleurs to compare with the one you have.
Old 03-07-18, 10:57 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a Quarq guy, but if you can use road cleats and don't need a lot of float, pedals would be the way to go.
Old 03-07-18, 11:52 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
Adding a new rear der, chain and cassette to the equation starts to eat into the lower price on the wheel. This worked into my purchase of easily swapped pedals as they were all I needed.

In any case, make good use of the Powertap. It brings cycle training up a few notches.
Old 03-07-18, 12:04 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
The 11-32 fits with my Ultegra Di2 derailleur. The bike came with 11-28. The gap between the upper pulley and the 32 cog is very small, appearing to be too tight to work. But it shifts fine, with no problems.

I carefully checked the chain length (It was long enough already) :
In the middle cog on the back, shift to the big chainring. Then lift the rear wheel, turn the crank by hand and "carefully" shift to the largest cog. You want at least a small jog on the chain between the pulleys -- not stretched completely straight. Then test it again on a parking lot at low speeds and low pedal force.

(The fit probably depends on the derailleur hanger's length, I suppose. It might not work on every bike.)
Old 03-07-18, 12:06 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Adding a new rear der, chain and cassette to the equation starts to eat into the lower price on the wheel. This worked into my purchase of easily swapped pedals as they were all I needed.

In any case, make good use of the Powertap. It brings cycle training up a few notches.
True, but I wanted to have a second wheel so I could keep one as a trainer wheel with my cycleops magnus. I could also buy the cheapest possible 11-28 cassette from ebay for it, OR give myself more options buy buying a second, decent, cassette with a different tooth configuration and then swap the cassettes as need be. Had I just gone with something like pedals, it would still have cost more than $500 and not provided a second rear wheel which I can really use.
Old 03-26-18, 10:46 PM
nick_m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my situation is similar to firebird584's and the responses covered virtually all my questions. For the same reasons, I'm considering a PowerTap G3. Mine is a 2012 Tarmac Expert with Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels. I don't race, so I don't need separate training/racing sets, but I'm not sure it's worth rebuilding a 6 year old Fulcrum around a G3 hub. Aside from the 75 gram weight penalty (1725 Fulcrum Vs 1800 DT Swiss), is there any reason I shouldn't just buy the pre-built DT Swiss R460s for $550?

Thanks, Nick
Old 03-27-18, 09:40 AM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I went with the Assioma Duo pedals myself. Simple to install and simple to swap to another bike, rechargeable and the charge lasts a long time. Compatible with just about every bike out there. When it comes to crank arms, chainrings, add-ons, it just seemed like there would be too many issues with my older bike, and I like my current wheels. Just reading through all the comments on this thread about all of the other types of meters makes me think I made the right choice. There are just too many things to take into account with the other systems. Also, these pedals connected to everything without any problem, and included cadence too. The only thing that would make a difference is if you use a different type of cleat, and you are completely wedded to them. Keo only at this point.

Yes, absolutely. Except that it does not do well with Wahoo head units. Wahoo's fault not Favero's. I love my pedals though.

Just today compared with my Kickr, and every interval was within 1-2 watts.
Old 03-27-18, 09:43 AM
firebird854

Hey, my thread's back! Quick update on my end, the G3 I ordered built into the cheap DT Swiss wheels have finally shipped! Apparently there has been a hold up at PowerTap, if you're looking to take advantage of the PowerTap price drops, I recommend buying as soon as possible.
Old 03-27-18, 09:47 AM
firebird854

Originally Posted by nick_m
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my situation is similar to firebird584's and the responses covered virtually all my questions. For the same reasons, I'm considering a PowerTap G3. Mine is a 2012 Tarmac Expert with Fulcrum Racing 4 wheels. I don't race, so I don't need separate training/racing sets, but I'm not sure it's worth rebuilding a 6 year old Fulcrum around a G3 hub. Aside from the 75 gram weight penalty (1725 Fulcrum Vs 1800 DT Swiss), is there any reason I shouldn't just buy the pre-built DT Swiss R460s for $550?

Thanks, Nick
It will end up costing virtually the same to have it built into your current wheel, so, might as well get a second rear wheel or full wheelset. Keep in mind too that the DT Swiss R460s are tubeless ready so if you upgraded your tires to tubeless that would likely make up for the 75 gram weight penalty.

Also, on another note, NICE BIKE! GO TARMAC EXPERTS!
Old 03-27-18, 10:12 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Yes, absolutely. Except that it does not do well with Wahoo head units. Wahoo's fault not Favero's. I love my pedals though.

Yes, we've had that discussion on the DCR comments page. It works fine with a Yahoo except for Avg watts. I would like to turn on 3s averaging instead of pure watts to keep it a little more consistent, but that matters more on a stationary setup anyway. When I'm riding all out outdoors I'm not looking at my computer to see how many watts I'm putting out.
Old 03-27-18, 10:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Yes, we've had that discussion on the DCR comments page. It works fine with a Yahoo except for Avg watts. I would like to turn on 3s averaging instead of pure watts to keep it a little more consistent, but that matters more on a stationary setup anyway. When I'm riding all out outdoors I'm not looking at my computer to see how many watts I'm putting out.
I'm thinking of getting both the Assioma Duo and a Bolt in the next month. In what way don't they work well together? I've seen mention of BT being a little wonky, but I don't see why I'd use that over ANT+.

edit: ah, I think that I see you two in the review thread on DCR. I haven't read all of the comments, so to clarify, you're talking about how the head unit displays average power and possibly crank arm length? I ride 172.5s, so not an issue if that hasn't been addressed on Wahoo's part, yet. On the average power thing, I take it that it's a matter of counting zeros or not counting zeros? If that's all that it is, that's probably fine - I doubt that average power is a field that I'd display, anyway.

Last edited by WhyFi; 03-27-18 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 11:12 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4264 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,832 Posts
Hey, my thread's back! Quick update on my end, the G3 I ordered built into the cheap DT Swiss wheels have finally shipped!
Good luck with them. It's always a good thing to have a backup wheelset in case you've got problems. Now you have that and can switch between the trainer and the road easier.
Old 03-27-18, 11:18 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
I have been pouring over this thread and doing some research and at this point I am seriously thinking of getting the Assioma Pedals. Might as well the duo set I hope it is a good move. I saw one serous video that compared PM and seems that accuracy for pedal power meters may not be quite on par with the best. If is was consistent probably going to have to live with it because the other options are too complicate.

I know I do not want a hub PW the only other option is the Shimano left crank option and that could be equal or better. I hope more chime in on this who have PM and experience with them.
Old 03-27-18, 07:13 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm thinking of getting both the Assioma Duo and a Bolt in the next month. In what way don't they work well together? I've seen mention of BT being a little wonky, but I don't see why I'd use that over ANT+.

edit: ah, I think that I see you two in the review thread on DCR. I haven't read all of the comments, so to clarify, you're talking about how the head unit displays average power and possibly crank arm length? I ride 172.5s, so not an issue if that hasn't been addressed on Wahoo's part, yet. On the average power thing, I take it that it's a matter of counting zeros or not counting zeros? If that's all that it is, that's probably fine - I doubt that average power is a field that I'd display, anyway.
I'm surprised at this point that Wahoo hasn't fixed it yet. It can't be hard. It is only the display on the unit itself that is inaccurate, when downloaded to an app everything is fine. Crank arm length is handled in the Assioma app if it is not available elsewhere. I've been using them for 2 months now and have been pretty happy so far. Mostly indoors though, since the crappy weather just doesn't want to let up.
Old 03-27-18, 08:53 PM
WhyFi

I'm surprised at this point that Wahoo hasn't fixed it yet. It can't be hard. It is only the display on the unit itself that is inaccurate, when downloaded to an app everything is fine. Crank arm length is handled in the Assioma app if it is not available elsewhere. I've been using them for 2 months now and have been pretty happy so far. Mostly indoors though, since the crappy weather just doesn't want to let up.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to wait and see if there's the usual May sale at Clever Training to see if I can pick them up at a good price.
Old 03-28-18, 02:23 AM
deepakvrao

No, nothing to do with the zeros. At least with power, and actually cadence too. If I maintain 90 cadence religiously, and say 170 watts for an interval, the downloaded file shows accurately, but the avg is never correct on the display.
Old 03-28-18, 02:24 AM
deepakvrao

I would like to see avg watts for the intervals I am doing, even though I realise that if I am 'honest', it will be near equal to NP. Short intervals will have more differences I guess.

Not a huge issue, and hence still waiting, or would have switched back to Garmin earlier itself.
Old 03-28-18, 02:25 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have been pouring over this thread and doing some research and at this point I am seriously thinking of getting the Assioma Pedals. Might as well the duo set I hope it is a good move. I saw one serous video that compared PM and seems that accuracy for pedal power meters may not be quite on par with the best. If is was consistent probably going to have to live with it because the other options are too complicate.

I know I do not want a hub PW the only other option is the Shimano left crank option and that could be equal or better. I hope more chime in on this who have PM and experience with them.
The Assiomas are within a couple of watts of mine, as well as wife's PT hubs, as also our Kickr.
Old 03-28-18, 05:08 AM
WhyFi

No, nothing to do with the zeros. At least with power, and actually cadence too. If I maintain 90 cadence religiously, and say 170 watts for an interval, the downloaded file shows accurately, but the avg is never correct on the display.
What's wrong with cadence? Is this another average (per segment or per ride) that doesn't display properly or does your current (smoothed) cadence not display properly?
Old 03-28-18, 08:50 AM
deepakvrao

What's wrong with cadence? Is this another average (per segment or per ride) that doesn't display properly or does your current (smoothed) cadence not display properly?
Avg per lap/ride that does not show correctly on the live display, but is fine when the file is uploaded.
Old 03-28-18, 08:56 AM
WhyFi

Avg per lap/ride that does not show correctly on the live display, but is fine when the file is uploaded.
Okay, thanks - so it's the same Avg issue as with power. Yeah, neither of those metrics are terribly important to me, and I don't think that I'd have that data displayed. I can see how the Avg Power might be helpful for interval training, but I tend to target the now and let the average work itself out.
Old 03-28-18, 10:33 AM
zacster

Average cadence doesn't interest me, so I don't know if it is an issue. Maybe I'll check with Wahoo if they have any update on this.
Old 03-29-18, 04:30 PM
nick_m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will end up costing virtually the same to have it built into your current wheel, so, might as well get a second rear wheel or full wheelset. Keep in mind too that the DT Swiss R460s are tubeless ready so if you upgraded your tires to tubeless that would likely make up for the 75 gram weight penalty.

Also, on another note, NICE BIKE! GO TARMAC EXPERTS!
Thanks for the info, and +1 on the Tarmac. It's still a joy to ride. Please let us (me) know how the DT Swiss compare to your Fulcrums. Yours are an upgrade from the Racing 4, so if they compare well to yours, they should compare even better to mine.

I'm intrigued by the tubeless option, but it's a bit confusing in the absence of a standard. What route do you plan to take?
Old 03-29-18, 04:58 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
The Assiomas are within a couple of watts of mine, as well as wife's PT hubs, as also our Kickr.
That would seem to be a problem as one is upstream and the other downstream of drivetrain losses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.