Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I Always Get Very Nervous Before First Of Year

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I Always Get Very Nervous Before First Of Year

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 10:06 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
When I first got the idea that I could ride my bike to the station, about 18 years ago if I remember it correctly, it seemed a pretty radical idea. When I proposed it to my wife, she did not focus on the fact that this would mean we would no longer have to coordinate who's using the car every day, how the kids are getting to daycare, and all that; her concern was my safety. And I shared her concern. She insisted I call her when I got to the station (!).

We got over it.

I mean, my first commute of the year was on January 2, and it was no more stressful than any other. Effin' cold, but not stressful. Do something often enough, it gets to be perfectly normal.
My wife gets worried on things like this and my solo hike/camping trips so I do a few things to help that like give her access to my tracker and wear a RoadID. I tell her she is just trying to make sure my body is found so she gets her insurance check quicker. Makes sense to me!

I prepare to be safe but I never worry about it after that. Obviously I ride safe but it isn't a worry for me. Tonight I'll make sure I get my "At Work Stuff (tm)" ready and bring it into work to keep. This weekend I'll ensure my bike things are ready and on and on and Monday I'll do my shortened commute and all will be well. After that day it will become normal, as you put it.
Old 03-01-18, 10:12 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Cool thing I got a bunch of years ago when I started to commute and also wanted to bike camp. Golf cart looking thing.
Whoa! How awesomely dorky!

I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with one of those tag-a-long type things. I've been riding a certain length bike for so long, I'd be paranoid I'm going to forget I have something tied to the back, cut a curb way too short, and go head-over-handlebars.
Old 03-01-18, 10:17 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Whoa! How awesomely dorky!

I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with one of those tag-a-long type things. I've been riding a certain length bike for so long, I'd be paranoid I'm going to forget I have something tied to the back, cut a curb way too short, and go head-over-handlebars.
What I liked about this thing is that it followed where I went. Thought it's a captive audience it did follow my path. I'm sure if I cut TOO tight there would be a difference but when I went between two poles (things to keep vehicles off path) it did great. It's about as wide as my bike so if the bike can get through, so can it.

However, you are right. If I got too comfortable then at some point it would catch and everybody within 15 feet would suffer the consequences.
Old 03-03-18, 01:24 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
Trailers don't tend to hang up. They ride over, which is jarring for the payload but only causes a brief tug on the tractor
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-03-18, 05:49 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
>>>>
Trailers don't tend to hang up. They ride over, which is jarring for the payload but only causes a brief tug on the tractor
Genesis 49:16-17<<<<<<

You found this information in the BIBLE????
Old 03-03-18, 06:51 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
A cart type thing like I have can hang if it hits something from the side like when you turn around something. Like a post, etc. It would USUALLY just skid left or right but since there is space between the wheen and the frame, something can get in there.
Old 03-03-18, 07:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I've yet to commute this year. I've commuted in three different years due to schedule. Each time I usually drive to about 10 miles away and do that a few times then keep backing up.

For some reason leading up to my first commute I get very nervous. Not sure why. I'm not nervous about much of anything normally. Unless the weather is just nasty I plan on this next Monday being my first one….

Still, I get nervous. Can't figure it out.
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I totally get it. Back when I'd drive to work in the winter, the first bike-commute ofspring always made me anxious…
In my decades of year-round urban commuting and touring, including cross-country, I can recall two episodes where I felt “nervous,” as you describe (as opposed to endangered). I have previously posted about both, in Toronto :
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have considered Toronto as a sister city to Boston

Two years ago (in 2013) we visited Toronto and when riding on Yonge St. I realized how valuable were those simply painted bike lanes we have in Boston; Toronto had none…

While in Toronto, I met a cycling advocate, and he asked me how Boston compared, and I had to admit urban riding in TO was a lot scarier than in Boston
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
[in 2015]...For the past two days the family and I have been visiting Toronto, and I’ve rented a bike-share bike, similar to our Hubways.

I think if you were to distill the best features of New York and Boston, you would produce Toronto, at least for cycling. There’s the exciting and interesting environment of cavernous downtown streets, but easy access to pleasant neighborhood cycling….

The rental bikes were very heavy, but well-maintained, and tires properly filled. The three gears were quite suitable for the terrain and soon became pleasant to ride…Unfortunately I had to fit my riding into about an hour each day, prior to 7AM, so I did ride in the dark, as traffic increased with rush hour.

Speaking of exciting downtown riding, though I went out with some initial trepidation into these new and unfamiliar streets, a rearview mirror instlled instant confidence.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-03-18 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 06:02 PM
WonderMonkey

I suppose when someone said they at times feel "anxious", that would be a better term. Anxious to "quite a bit anxious" would be it. Not nervous about my safety or making it or anything. Just a general feeling until I first get on the bike, then it all goes away.
Old 03-06-18, 02:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-07-18 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 09:41 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know those feels. I get them when I haven't done any riding for awhile. This past weekend was the first time I have been mountain biking in awhile, and on a bike I had to walk out last time I took it, due to one of the bolts that holds the saddle to the seat post shearing in half. I knew I would be fine once I started, but I was nervous the day before.

Same with group rides - it's been quite awhile, and today is the first one of the year. I'm a bit nervous...not knowing where I will fall in pace wise, but also excited and know thigns will be just fine once I start.

I think some of it is realizing that my routine will be changing, and I am naturally lazy and like a relaxing evening cooking, watching TV, or playing some computer games.