Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of biking do I do?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What kind of biking do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 03:41 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
No. I'm not saying that there should be a linear relationship between distance ridden and how much someone spends on a bike.

What I am saying is that it doesn't take a very fancy bike to go for a 90 minute bike ride at a moderate pace once or twice a week, and I wouldn't spend three thousand of my own dollars on that when I can get a new 105 aluminum disk endurance bike for well under a thousand. In fact, I just bought one for my wife for under $700. If you want to spend $8,000 on your bike or the OP wants to spend $3,000 go right ahead. It's your money. I spend plenty of money on stuff I don't really need.
Since when does 'need' got anything to do with it? Of course he doesn't need a $3000 bike. No one does aside from elite athletes. There is no justification needed to spend money on nice bike that will motivate him/her to get out and ride.

OP came out and ask what kind of bike he should be riding and he gave a budget. Why are you all imposing your own standards, values, and judgment on him, telling him he doesn't 'need' a bike that expensive for riding 25 miles. He didn't ask if he should spend $3000 on a bike.
Old 03-11-18, 03:49 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
@mcours2006, you are correct. OP, ignore my previous editorial comments about your budget.
Old 03-11-18, 07:14 PM
wunderchicken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha - I fully understand that spending $3000 on a bike isn't necessary. Honestly, the $20 cadence sensor I recently got has me going a lot faster then I suspect a new bike will.

A new toy will get me pumped - I'll ride more, further, commute the full 30 mile round trip to work on nice days rather than the 15 I currently do.

Also, the cantilever brakes with inline levers on my Crossrip can barely stop me. I don't need 105 components but it's difficult to stop from the hoods on my current bike hence the desire for hydraulics. From what I've seen so far, hydraulics seems to come with around 105 comps and higher.
Old 03-11-18, 07:20 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
Got to agree with these guys. And I think you're looking for an "endurance" bike. The positioning you refer to is all about aero, but an endurance road bike will give you better comfort and if set up right offer good drop positioning for short term aero-speeds as well. The Roubaix offers that and would be my first choice at that budget, but do yourself a favor and test ride/compare the Specialized Allez before deciding. You might be surprised how much the comparison will show you.
I took a peak at the Allez specs and it seems reasonable but I'm paranoid about braking. The one and only thing that has made my must have list is stopping power. I'll give it a spin when I go to try the Roubaix.
Old 03-11-18, 07:23 PM
wunderchicken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If you are going to stick with Specialized, this is the answer:
https://www.specialized.com/ae/en/roubaix-comp/p/115635
Though it might exceed your budget slightly.

But taking a look at other makes, like Giant:
https://www.specialized.com/ae/en/roubaix-comp/p/115635
It's similarly spec'ed, but significantly less expensive, but also no shock absorbing tech on the handlebar
Why do you like the Roubaix Comp over the Roubaix Elite? The components mix in a little Ultegra but beyond that, I can't tell the difference.

Also, the Giant link you pasted is a link to the Roubaix - I'll take that as a subconcious double endorsement of the Roubaix
Old 03-11-18, 07:26 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I'd also toss out the Giant AnyRoad Carbon version. Mechanical brakes, but at a <$2k price tag, plenty left over to upgrade. Comes with 105. Sexy looking bike that nearly came home with me from a combo bikeshop/bar a few weeks ago....

I would mention that if I were a better biker, my Mazama (now the REI Co-op 3.1) could easily do what you are looking for if you don't mind bar-ends instead of brifters, at an even much more friendly price tag.
Old 03-11-18, 08:45 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderchicken
Why do you like the Roubaix Comp over the Roubaix Elite? The components mix in a little Ultegra but beyond that, I can't tell the difference.

Also, the Giant link you pasted is a link to the Roubaix - I'll take that as a subconcious double endorsement of the Roubaix
Yes, sorry about that. This is the link:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-1

The $400 difference between the Comp and Elite is the difference between the 8000 Ultegra and 105's, though you get a Praxis crankset instead of theR8000. The wheels are a bit better on the Comp.

But as I said, both of these are still considerably more pricey than the Giant. You're kind of paying a premium for the Specialized name. The Spec also has thru-axle vs QR for the Giant. But this should not be a deal-breaker, IMO.
Old 03-12-18, 08:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Haha - I fully understand that spending $3000 on a bike isn't necessary.
If you want a nice bike, by all means treat yourself to a nice bike. The only reason I mentioned it is because I took my wife bike shopping last Fall with a similar set of requirements, and all of the sales people tried to steer us towards bikes in your price range, which I thought was a little ridiculous for a bike that she'll ride a few dozen times a year. I wasn't trying to impose my values on you, so hopefully you didn't take it that way.
Old 03-12-18, 08:56 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Haha - I fully understand that spending $3000 on a bike isn't necessary. Honestly, the $20 cadence sensor I recently got has me going a lot faster then I suspect a new bike will.

A new toy will get me pumped - I'll ride more, further, commute the full 30 mile round trip to work on nice days rather than the 15 I currently do.

Also, the cantilever brakes with inline levers on my Crossrip can barely stop me. I don't need 105 components but it's difficult to stop from the hoods on my current bike hence the desire for hydraulics. From what I've seen so far, hydraulics seems to come with around 105 comps and higher.
If you are having trouble stopping with cantilever brakes, you need to have them adjusted, maybe get better pads. In the history of cycling, hydraulic discs are fairly new and in fact, the pro peloton still doesn't use them.
Old 03-13-18, 06:01 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I'm in the market for a new bike but I'm not even sure what type I should be looking at. On the weekend, I ride around 25 miles in an outing on a combination of the road / smooth asphalt greenway / choppy asphalt greenway (tree roots busting it up) / hard packed dirt and tiny stones that can get muddy and choppy. I rarely ride on real gravel. I don't think a crazy road bike with carbon rims would like the kind of riding I do but maybe there is something in between?
This bike will do almost anything you want.

I just saw that you have a 3Klimit so that would leave this one out too. Unless you are just talking the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
modified-rack2.jpg (1.63 MB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
dsc01355 (3).jpg (1.23 MB, 39 views)

Last edited by BBassett; 03-13-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 06:03 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Don't care what you say,,,,, you're gotta have more than one bike,,,, that's just the way it is....
Not if you get a bike that will do most everything.
Old 03-13-18, 06:06 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by tyrion
Then I select for you the Niner RLT 9 RDO Carbon Gravel Bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzs3JuLWbY
I choose 26" wheels so that if the bike is loaded heavy you can still ride single track fairly easily. But I doubt you would try hanging panniers off a carbon frame.
Old 03-13-18, 06:25 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by MRT2
That said, when it comes to bikes, it is often more about want than need.
Oh so true. Here's the Catch-22 with that philosophy... When you splurge on something that you don't really need, but would be oh so nice, sayyyyyy, like a Rohloff Speed-Hub. After riding with your new un-needed little toy for a little while you will start to wonder how you ever managed without it. Now you Do need it. Or a dynamo hub. Or... Beware flexing your champaign tastes. That's how you end up with a bike that cost more than your 1st car, or your last hooker.
Old 03-13-18, 06:29 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by alcjphil
One thing to keep in mind is that a group can ride faster than an individual rider by sharing the workload. The riders in back can take advantage of the draft provided by the lead rider
I absolutely hate riding in a group. And if I want I can ride at 20 mph. for over a hundred miles.
Old 03-13-18, 07:41 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
Not if you get a bike that will do most everything.
I stand by my comment,,, I don't care what you say...
Old 03-14-18, 05:38 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get an endurance roadie with 30c road tires. Best of all worlds. Plenty to choose from.
Old 03-14-18, 06:02 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Both Specialized and Fuji are currently having tremendous sales. You can snag last year's $3K bike for $2K, and buy new shoes to boot!
Old 03-14-18, 06:44 AM
churnman

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a hybrid would be your best bet as a first bike. Will be more like a bike3 you possibly grew up with and will not break your budget. I regularly start the season on my old Trek 750 hybrid. Smooths the bumps and durable enough to take off road.
Old 03-14-18, 06:59 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Oops..wrong thread.
Old 03-14-18, 07:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by churnman
Sounds like a hybrid would be your best bet as a first bike.
This is not his first bike.