Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire direction.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 07:39 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have one set for my touring bike that specifies direction with an arrow on the sidewall. As others have indicated, if it isn't marked, I put the "V" shape facing forward. Keep in mind if you are changing sets, with the bike upside down that "V" points to the rear and it's easy to get confused and mount them backwards. (Don't ask me how I know )
Old 03-27-18, 07:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
hydroplaning
with aggressive studded winter tires riding on snow covered ice, it is possible, depending on snow consistency, to compact enough snow into & over the treads & studs so that you lose traction & slide briefly until the snows clears from the treads & studs

Old 03-27-18, 08:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
with aggressive studded winter tires riding on snow covered ice, it is possible, depending on snow consistency, to compact enough snow into & over the treads & studs so that you lose traction & slide briefly until the snows clears from the treads & studs
We need a new term for that. How about "niphaplaning"?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-27-18, 08:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
"niphaplaning"
Old 03-27-18, 09:06 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Exactly.
Hydroplaning, wasn’t what I was alluding to. Water dispersion, was. There’s a reason why the tread is made with the pattern it has.
Old 03-27-18, 09:15 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
My theory is...
You want to install the rear tire according to the direction of arrow: better grip for propelsion.
You want to install the front tire opposite direction of arrow: better grip for braking.
The knobby on the mtb tires say your theory is not correct.
Old 03-27-18, 11:27 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I have one set for my touring bike that specifies direction with an arrow on the sidewall. As others have indicated, if it isn't marked, I put the "V" shape facing forward. Keep in mind if you are changing sets, with the bike upside down that "V" points to the rear and it's easy to get confused and mount them backwards. (Don't ask me how I know )
I got it right on the 3rd try
Old 03-27-18, 12:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Lots of unnecessarily detailed analysis on this thread.

For road tires in the majority of conditions, whether a tire has tread or not matters very little in terms of wet or dry traction. Rubber compound, suppleness, TPI, pressure and width are all significantly more important. Apart from looking at the tires, most road riders would never know the difference if their high end tires were installed backwards or if they had tread or not.

Some are also conflating tread with knobbies. They are not the same.

Both tread and knobbies are designed to increase traction but tread is designed to do so by removing water from between a tire and a hard surface while knobbies are designed to prevent shear between a tire and loose or semi-solid surfaces. Knobbies can sometimes function like tread and tread can sometimes function like knobbies but they are not the same and are designed for two completely different use cases.

-Tim-
Old 03-27-18, 12:54 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
HaHa! That's never happened before on BF !!!
There's no horse dead enough on internet forums that it can't be beat a time or two more!
Old 03-27-18, 07:55 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

For road tires in the majority of conditions, whether a tire has tread or not matters very little in terms of wet or dry traction. Rubber compound, suppleness, TPI, pressure and width are all significantly more important. Apart from looking at the tires, most road riders would never know the difference if their high end tires were installed backwards or if they had tread or not.

Both tread and knobbies are designed to increase traction but tread is designed to do so by removing water from between a tire and a hard surface while knobbies are designed to prevent shear between a tire and loose or semi-solid surfaces. Knobbies can sometimes function like tread and tread can sometimes function like knobbies but they are not the same and are designed for two completely different use cases.

-Tim-
Exactly. Water dispersion, as I said.
Old 03-27-18, 08:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4884 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,626 Posts
I rode for years with labels to the left as I always leaned the bike right-side to against walls. A couple of years ago I went back to labels on the right convention. I have yet to notice any difference riding in Portland, OR.

Actually that makes sense. I gave water displacement zero thought. In line with my theory that weight only hurts when you know about it.

Ben
Old 03-27-18, 10:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Exactly. Water dispersion, as I said.
Water dispersion is completely irrelevant for 23 or 25 mm road tires.

Maybe Jobst Brant or someone like that could tell but 99.999% of the rest of us would not know the difference between road tires with and without tread if we could not see what was on the bike, even in heavy rain.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I gave water displacement zero thought.
Others on this thread should take your example. It is literally a non-issue for normal road bike tires.

-Tim-
Old 03-28-18, 01:20 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
It just has to look right in my eyes, whether or not a bike tire sheds water, or if only the pros have the skill to make them shed water. The tread matters on cars and motorbikes, so it matters to me on bicycles. I've ridden many bikes with many tires, they all pick up water.

Maybe it's all bullspit and Vs down just makes a bike look faster.
Old 03-28-18, 06:38 AM
one4smoke

Water dispersion is completely irrelevant for 23 or 25 mm road tires.

Maybe Jobst Brant or someone like that could tell but 99.999% of the rest of us would not know the difference between road tires with and without tread if we could not see what was on the bike, even in heavy rain.

Others on this thread should take your example. It is literally a non-issue for normal road bike tires.

-Tim-
Maybe so on 23 or 25 tires (that look completely slick, and only with a magnifying glass can you see any grooves. LOL).
I'm talking about tires that have distinctive tread patterns such as the 28 Schwalbe Marathons I have on my hybrid. Again, there's a good reason why they have tread patterns. Put them on incorrectly and watch what happens when the tire rolls backwards through heavy water on pavement at speed.
Old 03-28-18, 11:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4884 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,626 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Maybe so on 23 or 25 tires (that look completely slick, and only with a magnifying glass can you see any grooves. LOL).
I'm talking about tires that have distinctive tread patterns such as the 28 Schwalbe Marathons I have on my hybrid. Again, there's a good reason why they have tread patterns. Put them on incorrectly and watch what happens when the tire rolls backwards through heavy water on pavement at speed.
I have turned 25c Paselas around many times and never saw the difference. Mid-ride. In the rain.

(Your experience confirms my theory. I have never looked at the water coming off my (or others') tires in relation to tread direction. Being oblivious to the water patterns, I cannot detect the difference in grip.)

Ben
Old 03-28-18, 12:24 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 630 Posts

Both tread and knobbies are designed to increase traction but tread is designed to do so by removing water from between a tire and a hard surface while knobbies are designed to prevent shear between a tire and loose or semi-solid surfaces.
In the context of tires, the word "tread" usually refers generally to the part of a tire that makes contact with the riding surface. Even smooth slicks have tread, in this sense.

Sometimes the word also gets used as a catch-all phrase for non-smooth tread patterns... I'm unfamiliar with it being used to specifically refer to water-shedding patterns. Maybe that's a regional thing?

Because of hydroplaning?
The argument I see sometimes is that road tires should have very shallow fine patterns - such as the herringbone on the sides of many tires, or the small dots that Paves have at their centerline - to mechanically interfere with road irregularities. The idea being better behavior in wet conditions when the coefficient of friction is much lower.