Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm jumping ship. Gears and brakes here I come.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I'm jumping ship. Gears and brakes here I come.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 12:56 PM
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MKRG

I'll throw mine into the fray. Not the best pic but this is my current roadbike. 2001 Jamis Eclipse, full dura-ace, mavic ksyrium elite wheels and of course a brooks b-17

That's a fancy fireplace you've got there.
Old 01-10-06, 01:24 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
That's a fancy fireplace you've got there.
and a nasty cut on your leg.
Old 01-10-06, 01:43 PM
brunning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats sean. great find.
Old 01-10-06, 01:47 PM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and the girl is gone now. So...whatever. Yeah the leg is courtesy of the fixed gear at night with no lights on a dark path. Stupid pictures.
Old 01-10-06, 01:58 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MKRG
...and the girl is gone now. So...whatever. Yeah the leg is courtesy of the fixed gear at night with no lights on a dark path. Stupid pictures.
what a shame... but at least the bikes will be true, even if they may be a bit "bitey" at times
Old 01-10-06, 07:04 PM
bvancouv
Beginning to Percolate

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R500, IRO Mark V, 1980's Schwinn Predator BMX, Chrome 1982 Schwinn Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what I wish I had brought down Elston...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
R500small.jpg (94.3 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by bvancouv; 01-10-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 07:50 PM
chicagoamdream
meet the mets

Bikes: Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sean, have you bought this thing yet?
Old 01-10-06, 08:28 PM
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))

Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper

Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice road bikes, folks. How do y'all skid on them thangs?
Old 01-10-06, 08:29 PM
ryan_c
troglodyte

Bikes: Crust Romanceur, VO Polyvalent, Surly Steamroller, others?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
Suntour never made indexing bar-ends, but their friction shifters are the best shifters ever made. Rivendell tries to copy them, with mixed results. I'd prefer 8 speed over 9 because 8 uses regular 3/32" chain, which is both cheap and readily available in generic form. Do you REALLY even need more than 8-12 Gears on a road bike? Not really.

Now that I think about it though, I'd not want a campy casette, because they have different spacing at the smallest gears. Shimano, which is regular all the way through, would be a better bet.
You have a point, 3/32" is nice to have if you're touring and need to pick up a chain in a small town or something. What I was saying wasn't an issue of how many speeds you have, its an issue of buying good parts versus mediocre parts, no offense. I just don't think any new 8-speed parts out right now are of particularly good quality (which I guess would be the cassette, since you're going friction, but you need to find a campy derailleur that would handle 3/32" chain as well)

I myself have never tried out the Suntour barcons, although they seem to have a good rep. I'm in love with my own new bar-end shifters myself, so I see the appeal - here's the Soma I just put together with Ultegra 9 and Dura-Ace bar end shifters:

Hard to tell with the lighting, but its British racing green with gold and orange lettering/logos.
Old 01-10-06, 08:34 PM
chicagoamdream
meet the mets

Bikes: Raleigh conversion (hours spent making it look like a Pista); Porter Track, Samson Track, Leto Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa, Ryan---hot.
Old 01-10-06, 09:22 PM
12XU
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDRawk
12XU, is that a Madone 5.9 sl? I have a friend who rides one. It really is a nice riding bicycle. Well, from what i can tell...his has about a 1/2 group set. One front ring and no rear brake and painted flat black. And still fast.

While a 5.9 Madone would've been nice, I opted for the much less expensive, but still stiff as sh*t 5200. I needed a road bike I can thrash in crits and road races for a year, then sell and upgrade. I built her up today. If I can manage to borrow a camera, pictures are imminent.
Old 01-10-06, 09:26 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike ryan c. How much rake does that fork have, and whats the HT angle?
Old 01-10-06, 09:56 PM
ryan_c
troglodyte

Bikes: Crust Romanceur, VO Polyvalent, Surly Steamroller, others?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
Nice bike ryan c. How much rake does that fork have, and whats the HT angle?
Thanks much!
72 degree HT, 44mm of rake. Very nice, comfortable ride. Super smooth. Only about 18 miles on the bike so far. My first bike with indexed shifting - a big move for me! I'm also very unopposed to friction shifting - my road bike is 6-sp friction shift so I didn't mean to sound like a bike/tech snob, just curious about your reasoning.
Old 01-10-06, 10:10 PM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Bikes: 01 Pista and 99 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagoamdream
Sean, have you bought this thing yet?
Bought it tonight! Needs a new front derailleur cable and a little fine tuning on the shifting. Brakes also need a litte tightening up. I'm bringing it to Ira at Rapid Transit tomorrow. I am so stoked.

Paint has a couple of dings in it and that's about all that shows that it's 6 years old. I am so stoked.
Old 01-10-06, 10:16 PM
salome
plucky russian.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_c
Only about 18 miles on the bike so far.
yes! I was part of a good 6 of those miles! Your bike is great Ryan, so pretty, so nice to ride. I think the excessive babying will stop once it hits the trails. Oh and I'm a sucker for the brown brooks with the large copper rivets. That is going to age so well.

Here's my contribution ... I am definitely not opposed to gears, as every kind of bike has a proper place. Sorry the picture sort of sucks, I'm not home so don't have access to that many at the moment. My 94 Merckx, all dura-ace ... a beauty to ride. My geared love. ahh ...

Old 01-10-06, 10:22 PM
bklyn74

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10, Moser "Special", RIP- early/mid 90's Zullo "Sprint" (ultegra grouppo, stronglight crankset), 04 Bianchi Pista (stock except for the saddle, front break and pedals)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats on a great c'list find. since this seems to be becoming a "post your geared bike" thread, i'll throw mine up too. mid 90's zullo sprint. i love this bike real bad. it's the "long ride on sunday" bike. you can see more pix and close ups at my flickr page should you feel so inclined.

Old 01-10-06, 10:23 PM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way - turns out the guy I bought it off of rides for xXx!
Old 01-10-06, 11:15 PM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some pictures that I just took -

Old 01-11-06, 12:19 AM
chicagoamdream
meet the mets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice, Sean! Congrats.
Old 01-11-06, 12:26 AM
pistaboy
The Overlord

Bikes: 2005 Pista, 2005 Gary Fisher GED, and a Old Nishiki touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! And what ever people say there is no shame in gears.

Also that is pretty roadie...Jk
Old 02-27-06, 08:33 AM
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I jump on and off the ship all the time.

Old 02-27-06, 03:01 PM
lumenredundas
im just better than you

Bikes: 2 white custom track frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by $0.00/Gal
I don't think the 18 spoke front wheel and 20 spoke rear would handle Milwaukee Ave very well.
dude thats what i thought about the rolf vectors, but im on my second winter with my front being the vector and i hit pot holes an curbs all day every day, bike polo on the weekends(still dont know why i do play with that wheel) ans it is as true as the day i got it. thats one hot looking bike.

XVX
Old 02-27-06, 04:16 PM
zorak8me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, is this the "the trend is dead" thread? Even if it does die, I'm pretty sure most people will keep their fixie as their 'fun ride'. If not then I'm going to get some sweet deals on ebay.
Old 02-27-06, 04:39 PM
Zonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we're showing off our geared rides....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Co_Motion_11.jpg (98.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-27-06, 04:41 PM
$0.00/Gal
bought a new car

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am procrastinating on buying some LOOK cleats for these pedals that came with the bike, so my trackie has been pedal-less since I bought the roadie. I don't really mind it though. Since it's so crappy out all the time I only really leave the house on a bike for training purposes, so the roadie is where it's at.

dude thats what i thought about the rolf vectors, but im on my second winter with my front being the vector and i hit pot holes an curbs all day every day, bike polo on the weekends(still dont know why i do play with that wheel) ans it is as true as the day i got it. thats one hot looking bike.
You're right. I have hit some pretty mean potholes and expected to taco and they're still going strong. Very suprising.

A little update on the bike as a whole - turned out that 1st generation 9 speed Ultegra brifters are isht. I had to replace the right one less than 1 week after buying the bike. The dude who sold me the bike gave me $50 (1/2 what I paid for the replacement) though so it's all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.