Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you carry a chain tool when you ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you carry a chain tool when you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 01:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 1,413 Posts
I used to carry a separate chain tool, but one is included in the multi-tool I use now. I've never needed it on the road for my bike, but I have used a chain tool to fix other riders' chains. Usually it's a bent link from some mis-shift, chain suck, or thrown-up stick. One removes the problem link(s), puts the chain back together either with a Shimano pin or a quick link. I carry a few different quick links and a couple pins. They don't weigh anything and being able to get someone back on the road won't hurt your rep any.
Old 04-23-18, 02:06 PM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short of crashing, what kind of things happen on a road ride where a multi tool comes in handy? Is it just a better to have it and not need it attitude, or is it like getting flats and it's just a matter of time before it happens.
Old 04-23-18, 02:19 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm guessing in the last 20+ years I've been riding and maybe 150,000 miles, I've never once broke a chain. Nor any of the several riders I have ridden with. Some periods I can do 30,000 to 40,000 ft of gain per month and still never a broken chain.

Snapping frames yes, chains no!

I don't carry one on the road. I find single allen wrenches fit in the seat pack taking much less room than a tool so no chain tool.

Never had anybody ask for one either. Spoke wrench yes, I have made many spoke adjustments for other cyclists several times.
Old 04-23-18, 02:37 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have broken a chain, early on in my cycling "career" but it was purely because I didn't know any better. That said I do carry chain tools on my bikes because:

a, it's easier for me to keep up with in the saddle bag,
b, one of my multitools has one, and mainly
c, I have had a DR problem where the chain tool was useful.
Old 04-23-18, 02:51 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, I cary a chain tool and a KMC missing link. I have only had to use it once on my road bike when I had a link break going up a hill. Removed that link, put in the KMC, was back on the road in a handful of minutes.

The one I'm carrying now was originally part of a Crank Bros. multi-tool that I took apart. It has spoke tools integrated into it and takes up less space than a park spoke wrench. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 04-23-18, 03:00 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Most of my rides are solo and I’d rather carry the tool than have to make a call. I honestly can’t think of a good reason to not have one.

Last edited by Jazzguitar; 04-27-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 03:27 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
No. But luckily one guy was, the only time someone in my little group broke a chain.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-23-18, 03:36 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 160 Posts
Yep. I've used it 3 times that I can remember.

Once was in a race - Snake Creek Time Trial... 17 degrees, windy (probably sub-0 with the windchill). Split a link on a climb, knocked out the repair and was back on the bike in a couple minutes. I lost time, but more importantly, was able to ride out - and not freeze my *$#& off!
Old 04-23-18, 04:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4795 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
I'll guiltily admit that I don't carry a chain breaker and would rely on someone else in the group supplying one if need be.. I do carry a couple quicklinks though. That said, never had an issue with a chain yet in the last dozen years (knocking on wood as I type).
Old 04-23-18, 04:33 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
was carrying three for a cpl months until I went thru the trunk!
Are you sure you're not a 'bent rider? They like carrying extra stuff.
Old 04-23-18, 04:57 PM
Knoffler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
👎

Negative
Old 04-23-18, 05:36 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I carry a multi and have used it multi times but not just for me.
Old 04-23-18, 05:39 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't have one, and don't know how to use one. I'm thinking I should get a multi-tool with one, and learn how to use it. I'll need to replace my chain when my arm is ready to ride again anyway, but was thinking to have the LBS do it, as I would like to support them somewhat since I occasionally stop in and oggle their wares.
Old 04-23-18, 06:31 PM
CasualInSoCal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually tried to use the chain tool on my multitool once, while at home, and found that it's too small and can't provide enough leverage to pop the pin out of the chain.

I have the Crank Brothers Multi-19 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-23-18, 07:53 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Yes.

I've shortened the chain to single speed after three RD trashing incidents- one on the road, two CX on fire roads.

the other week I stopped to assist a rider w/ broken chain. There were already two samaritans there, & between them

they had a chain tool but didn't really know how to use it. I offered fix it w/ a quick link, which they had never heard of & declined,

& eventually left them to struggle on.
Old 04-24-18, 07:46 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'll guiltily admit that I don't carry a chain breaker and would rely on someone else in the group supplying one if need be.. I do carry a couple quicklinks though. That said, never had an issue with a chain yet in the last dozen years (knocking on wood as I type).
You might as well leave the quick links at home too then because its not like the chain is going to break in such a matter as to leave you with two exposed inner side links for you to put the quick link on without having to remove a pin.
Old 04-24-18, 08:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,534 Posts
Anything with threads can work itself loose. Crank bolts, stem bolts, etc. etc. You need something to tighten them back up. Don't be "that guy" who relies on others to get him out of a mechanical jam.

Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
Short of crashing, what kind of things happen on a road ride where a multi tool comes in handy? Is it just a better to have it and not need it attitude, or is it like getting flats and it's just a matter of time before it happens.
Old 04-24-18, 08:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7703 Post(s)
Liked 3,620 Times in 1,908 Posts
Along with the chaian tool .... I have used the multi-tool to tighten loosened bolts, and to fix my derailleur when a cable snapped---fix as in "wedge it in place" so I had the middle gear of the cog set instead of the top.

Not suggesting anyone else should carry tools, tubes, pump, whatever. I do and I will. Not saying it is right for anyone else, but i will and always will.

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
You might as well leave the quick links at home too then because its not like the chain is going to break in such a matter as to leave you with two exposed inner side links for you to put the quick link on without having to remove a pin.
Yup.
Old 04-24-18, 09:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
When you're on a ride and you get a loud squeak or tick with every crank revolution because some bolt or spoke nipple came loose you'll wish you carried one. They're so tiny I'm not sure why anyone would not want to carry one.
Old 04-24-18, 09:23 AM
northtexasbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
When you're on a ride and you get a loud squeak or tick with every crank revolution because some bolt or spoke nipple came loose you'll wish you carried one. They're so tiny I'm not sure why anyone would not want to carry one.

Not against it just haven't learned my lesson yet I guess. I am still a relative newbie to cycling.
Old 04-24-18, 09:36 AM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Along with the chaian tool .... I have used the multi-tool to tighten loosened bolts, and to fix my derailleur when a cable snapped---fix as in "wedge it in place" so I had the middle gear of the cog set instead of the top.
Ooooh... This just reminded me of the second time I had to use my chain tool. Crashed and snapped my rear derailleur hangar. had to break the chain and turn my bike into a single speed in order to get home.
Old 04-24-18, 10:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 1,766 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
I used to, until my bike and tool bag was stolen. I had the venerable and venerated Ritchey CPR-9 with chain tool...
Ritchey made the best multitools; I had a purple anodized 1st gen CPR9 many years ago that left me when my bike got stolen! Today I’ve got a couple of CPR14s on my old trail bikes, and a trio of the modern CPR-9s —the chaintool-less “stick” design which just recently we t out of production— on the current road machines. Brilliant tools, and peerlessly light at 27g.

But to the topic, No, I do not carry a chaintool on the road. It’s just an outlier need, which to rationalize carrying would just as likely lead to carrying a spare freehub, Epi-pen, or first aid kit. Obviously reason has to step in somewhere...
Old 04-24-18, 10:26 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It’s just an outlier need, which to rationalize carrying would just as likely lead to carrying a spare freehub, Epi-pen, or first aid kit. Obviously reason has to step in somewhere...
Interesting examples.

With regards to the freehub, I had mine fail before 9 miles from the closest bailout point in 16F weather some years back. Solved that problem by cannibalizing a spiral bound notebook and wired the cogs to the spokes to limp in. Now, I keep about a half dozen zip ties in my handlebars. They've come in handy a few times over the years to help myself and others.

Epi-pen would be highly recommended for those allergic to insect stings. I have no idea how many times I've had stinging insects trapped in my helmet or jersey. I've been stung several times and am glad I'm not allergic.

You can ride with most injuries that a small first aid kit would help with. However, there are certain situations involving rubs where it could make a massive difference if you had far to go. Electrical tape is very useful in such situations and a couple extra winds around the bars when you're installing tape is all you need to have it on hand. It's handy for a bunch of things.

Having all of these things plus the chain tool will add 2 oz tops to the total weight and takes negligible space.
Old 04-24-18, 11:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 1,766 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Interesting examples.

With regards to the freehub, I had mine fail before 9 miles from the closest bailout point in 16F weather some years back. Solved that problem by cannibalizing a spiral bound notebook and wired the cogs to the spokes to limp in. Now, I keep about a half dozen zip ties in my handlebars. They've come in handy a few times over the years to help myself and others.
I carry a couple of zip ties, too! If they were any bulkier or heavier than they are, though, I would not, as again, the instance of need is exceedingly rare. I ride primarily in groups, and have done so for many, many years, and I've never once needed a chain tool or zip tie on the road, at least not since the early '90s; I think I zip tied Deb's lower derailleur cage after her cable broke during a ride in '91 or '92.

Epi-pen would be highly recommended for those allergic to insect stings. I have no idea how many times I've had stinging insects trapped in my helmet or jersey. I've been stung several times and am glad I'm not allergic.
Maybe toss a NarCan in there too, what with opiod addiction raging across America.

You can ride with most injuries that a small first aid kit would help with. However, there are certain situations involving rubs where it could make a massive difference if you had far to go. Electrical tape is very useful in such situations and a couple extra winds around the bars when you're installing tape is all you need to have it on hand. It's handy for a bunch of things.
I can see tossing a quartet of Tylenol in the seatbag...

Having all of these things plus the chain tool will add 2 oz tops to the total weight and takes negligible space.
Well, remembering that 2oz = ~56.5g, adding even a simple chain tool like the Park Mini which is 77g puts us over that. If I swapped my 27g Ritchey CPR9 multitool for a chain tool integrated one, like the 96g Ritchey CPR12+, that's still more than 2oz for that alone. I run Campagnolo, so I need the peening Park CT6.3 tool, which is 135g, closer to an addition of 1/4lbs than 2oz! None of that stuff would fit in my Cyckit Aeroclam anyway.
Old 04-24-18, 11:45 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Ooh, zip ties! That seems like something that could come in handy for a variety of emergency fixes. I'm gonna add a few to my saddle bag, thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.