Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Update on "5 cyclists killed in Kalamazoo"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Update on "5 cyclists killed in Kalamazoo"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 07:34 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This kind of delay is a travesty because of what it does to the families involved.

We have victims and we have a killer. Why is it so complicated. The killer didnt give the victims any time at all.
I wouldn’t knock your legal system as the alternative of ‘quick’ justice has been tried before and is worse. The main injury to the families has already occurred. It’s better to take the time to reach a fair and proper conclusion.
Old 10-08-17, 01:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
This kind of delay is a travesty because of what it does to the families involved.

We have victims and we have a killer. Why is it so complicated. The killer didnt give the victims any time at all.
The Sixth Amendment protects the right of the accused to a speedy trial. It does not guarantee the victims' right to a speedy trial. It's the job of the prosecutors representing the people to seek justice for victims.

In many cases where the accused can afford better than cursory representation by a court appointed attorney, a delay serves both sides equally well when the accused presents the defense with a difficult case, or when the prosecution needs time to gather incriminating evidence (DNA, interviews of witnesses, etc.).

Pickett may be a reprehensible human being but he's the accused at this point, not "the killer" until he's been convicted.
Old 10-10-17, 10:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The Sixth Amendment protects the right of the accused to a speedy trial. It does not guarantee the victims' right to a speedy trial. It's the job of the prosecutors representing the people to seek justice for victims.

In many cases where the accused can afford better than cursory representation by a court appointed attorney, a delay serves both sides equally well when the accused presents the defense with a difficult case, or when the prosecution needs time to gather incriminating evidence (DNA, interviews of witnesses, etc.).

Pickett may be a reprehensible human being but he's the accused at this point, not "the killer" until he's been convicted.
Yes we all know that, but it really hard to ignore all those pesky dead people that scream from their graves for justice.
Old 10-10-17, 11:12 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Yes we all know that, but it really hard to ignore all those pesky dead people that scream from their graves for justice.
Define "justice".

He is in jail, not out in public. He has not been exonerated, or freed. He is utilizing the legal avenues available to him, as is the prosecution. Having a conviction now may satisfy those who are impatient, but rushing things often leads to sloppy work and more chances to appeal at a later date. I'd rather take the time and spend an extra year getting a conviction that is airtight, than having it done with and then successfully appealed.

Like it or not, our courts are not based on acting the same as criminals, and I think that is a very good thing. I can be better than the person I am sentencing to prison.
Old 01-25-18, 06:53 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 6,781 Times in 3,881 Posts
It's been a while since we've had any news. But, finally things may start moving forward again.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...se/1065550001/

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The Michigan Supreme Court has decided against hearing an appeal of murder charges against a man involved in a crash that killed and injured multiple bicyclists.

Kalamazoo County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Scott Brower tells the Kalamazoo Gazette that following Wednesday's order by the state's highest court the case will move toward a possible trial.
Old 01-25-18, 08:10 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
It's been a while since we've had any news. But, finally things may start moving forward again.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...se/1065550001/

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — The Michigan Supreme Court has decided against hearing an appeal of murder charges against a man involved in a crash that killed and injured multiple bicyclists.

Kalamazoo County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Scott Brower tells the Kalamazoo Gazette that following Wednesday's order by the state's highest court the case will move toward a possible trial.
Thanks for the update. I think his attorney is grasping at straws, indicated by what he said here;
"Pickett's lawyer has argued that the evidence wasn't enough to send Pickett to trial for second-degree murder. He said the evidence established, at most, the elements of reckless driving causing death."
This tells me that even his attorney knows he's in deep doodoo.
Old 01-25-18, 08:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7707 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,913 Posts
Thanks for the update.

And thanks for the reasonable, logical voices.

So many people let their emotions drive them ... here's the deal. Some day people might blame you for something you didn't do, and might get so worked up they actually convince themselves of things that aren't real.

If that did happen, you would hope and pray that reasonable people won out.

If this guy is totally guilty, then let him be so judged---reasonably, based on fact and reasonable analysis of evidence. As soon as we start using power to make ourselves feel better ... before long we forget why people are calling us Nazis or Klansmen or homophobes or fascists.

Based on what seems to be the facts revealed so far ... there really isn’t a penalty severe enough for this guy.

That doesn’t mean we should justify injustice.

There are no “dead bodies screaming from the grave.”

The justice system is thoroughly borked. Anyone who has dealt with it much knows that.

However, saying “We should use it to get what we want because we are the Good people who want the right thing” ... that is what all the people who commit grave injustice say.

Nothing brings back the dead. However, not preserving whatever vestiges of an actual System of Justice has the potential to create a huge increase in the number of dead.

If the guy, Pickett, really is the hateful, violent, uncaring, drug-addled man the articles make him seem to be ... he will pay in full and it will be terrible for him and that is Good. And if all that is done properly, without creating more bad karma, Much the better.

Last edited by StanSeven; 01-25-18 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Removed political content
Old 01-25-18, 09:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 4,553 Times in 3,384 Posts
I'm surprised the supreme court took up the case before the trial.

The option, of course, is to take the case to trial. Picket will be either found guilty of second degree murder, or reckless endangerment, or perhaps even acquitted, or sentenced to "time served".

Then depending on what the trial proves, and once the evidence on both sides has been laid out, appeal the decision to the supreme court.

Of course, there is apparently a lot of back-room deals on what can or can not be told to jurors.
Old 01-26-18, 07:12 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7707 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,913 Posts
Hard to imagine the drug use and impaired driving won't be mentioned. hard to imagine witness testimony of what actually happened right there on the road would be excluded. Past acts are always an issue ... but this one act was pretty straightforward I think.

Anyway ... this might be one to check back with occasionally.
Old 01-26-18, 07:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5964 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,599 Posts
I have no opinion on the pretrial procedural and evidentiary motions, and am happy to let the process run it's course. The defense must file these, including raising the question of over charging. Failure to do so could be evidence of inadequate representation and grounds for a subsequent appeal.

So, making sure that every I is dotted and T crossed makes sense.

However, I've lost the thread, and wonder if anyone knows if bail has been set and made, or if the defendant is awaiting trial in jail. If the latter, I have no problem with the trial being put off as long as his attorney wants.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-26-18, 08:46 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

The perp is still in custody awaiting trial.
Old 01-26-18, 08:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Thanks, Then as far as I care, he can continue to file motions until the cows come home.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-26-18, 08:56 PM
Ballenxj

In my humble opinion, that's the best place for him right now.
Old 02-01-18, 06:59 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

New trial date set in Kalamazoo fatal bicycle crash | MLive.com

KALAMAZOO, MI -- A new trial date has been set in the fatal Kalamazoo bicycle crash.

Charles Pickett Jr., 51, will stand trial in Kalamazoo County Circuit Court in April. A settlement conference is scheduled for Friday, April 13, and jury selection for the trial is scheduled to start Monday, April 23.
Old 02-01-18, 09:45 PM
Ballenxj

New trial date set in Kalamazoo fatal bicycle crash | MLive.com

KALAMAZOO, MI -- A new trial date has been set in the fatal Kalamazoo bicycle crash.

Charles Pickett Jr., 51, will stand trial in Kalamazoo County Circuit Court in April. A settlement conference is scheduled for Friday, April 13, and jury selection for the trial is scheduled to start Monday, April 23.
Thanks again for the update.
Old 02-10-18, 08:44 PM
Ballenxj

Still watching. I would hate to see this forgotten...
Old 02-10-18, 08:46 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
You can rest assured it won't be. There are too many interested parties, including the DA who's been pushing murder charges.

Actually, I expect that it'll end up being settled via a plea bargain, but given the circumstances, it won't be much of a bargain at all.

Old 02-10-18, 08:51 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You can rest assured it won't be. There are too many interested parties, including the DA who's been pushing murder charges.

Actually, I expect that it'll end up being settled via a plea bargain, but given the circumstances, it won't be much of a bargain at all.
It certainly was no bargain for those cyclists that got hit from behind, and I hope they keep that in mind.
Old 02-10-18, 08:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
I've been keeping an eye on this for 18 months now. I've since ridden with three of the four survivors. You can rest assured that this isn't getting forgot about.

Edit: I only report something when there is something to report.
Old 02-10-18, 09:09 PM
Ballenxj

I've been keeping an eye on this for 18 months now. I've since ridden with three of the four survivors. You can rest assured that this isn't getting forgot about.

Thank You, and I understand you have to wait for news as and when it happens. It's just that this was so wrong, and burns me up every time I think about it. I just hope for a fair trial, but also fair representation of the now deceased.
Old 02-17-18, 01:18 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts

Thanks for keeping BF readers informed on outcome of this case.
Old 04-24-18, 11:26 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Trial underway:

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...rial_jury.html
Old 04-24-18, 04:37 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Surprising it doesn't happen more often. I imagine he will wind up getting 50 years. Trial time may seem slow but the longer the wait the more likely to wind up with a conviction, and he is already in jail so no worries.
Old 04-25-18, 07:40 AM
Ballenxj

Still waiting to see verdict. What a horrible thing to happen.
Old 04-25-18, 11:52 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Surprising it doesn't happen more often. I imagine he will wind up getting 50 years. Trial time may seem slow but the longer the wait the more likely to wind up with a conviction, and he is already in jail so no worries.
I suspect he knows he's going up the river, so why not drag it out in a trial? He's got nothing at all to lose by going to trial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.