Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Greasy Joe Gravel Grinder

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 05:46 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts

Could have sworn I saw a thread asking about the Greasy Joe Gravel Grinder (in Rhode Island) but can't find it. Was thinking of riding it this weekend and wanted the opinion of anyone who's ridden it before (or is familiar with this year's course). I did a couple gravel rides last year in Massachusetts (JAM Gran Fundo and f2g2) with my touring bike (Surly Disc Trucker with 1.5 inch stock touring tires - Continental Comfort Contact). It worked fine on the JAM ride but I did walk a couple sections of the f2g2 as it had some more sketchy (sketchy for me) single and double track sections. Can anyone offer perspective on the Greasy Joe course? Are there more technical single/double track sections that I should be concerned about with my bike? If you've done Greasy Joe and either the JAM ride or f2g2, how would they compare? I don't mind walking some spots but if my bike is really unsuited for the course, I may just pass. Thanks for any insights.
Old 05-02-18, 02:35 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not a racer, but a quick look at the track posted on their Facebook page makes me think you'd be ok on 38mm slicks. The strech of New London turnpike near exit 7 and the ring road around Carrs pond will be sandy and tough to ride. I could be wrong but I didn't notice anything I think is particularly technical.
Old 05-02-18, 07:27 PM
dennis336

Originally Posted by rangie
I'm not a racer, but a quick look at the track posted on their Facebook page makes me think you'd be ok on 38mm slicks. The strech of New London turnpike near exit 7 and the ring road around Carrs pond will be sandy and tough to ride. I could be wrong but I didn't notice anything I think is particularly technical.
thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!
Old 05-05-18, 05:37 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
How did it work out?
Old 05-06-18, 07:21 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by rangie
How did it work out?
Thanks for asking!

I ended up cutting the ride short. From what I was hearing prior to the ride, I was thinking my bike/tires weren't well suited for the course and my skill level may be lacking. The initial 10 miles included quite a bit of sand that was a hard to manage and many riders were walking though the worst parts. Then there was some trail riding with obstacles that sometimes required dismounting. Also a stream crossing with a fair amount of mud on the other side so I expect most needed to dismount to figure out how to get across. The name of the ride says "gravel grinder" but it's definitely not a ride on maintained gravel roads (I have done those kinds of rides and my bike/skill level were fine). To be fair, the organizers didn't try to understate the difficulty of the course.

So, on balance, that kind of course isn't for me. I like riding gravel and being away from the traffic, etc. but, for me, the more technical stuff isn't something I enjoy. Having said that, if you know what you're getting into, and enjoy that whole range of conditions, have the right bike and skills, I'm sure you'd come away thinking it was an amazing ride and a great experience.

Thanks again for asking!