Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which bike for a beginner?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 11:41 AM
Imdedicated

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello guys, I am looking to get my first road bike. I have always road mountain bikes. I have 3 bikes to choose from and not sure which to go with. The 3 choices I have found in my price range which is around 900$.

2014 GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 2 it is used but only ridden 4-5 times price is 800$

2018 giant contend 1 for 860$ brand new

2017 trek domane al 2 for 750$ brand new

2014 giant defy 2 500$ barely used

which would be the best option?

Last edited by Imdedicated; 05-06-18 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Error
Old 05-06-18, 12:21 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All 3 are good bikes. If the Defy is the right size and In excellent shape, I would go for that. The best thing about buying new is you will get a fitting with the bike. Check with your lbs to make sure the Defy is the right size. If so, pay for a fitting and you have a better bike.
Old 05-06-18, 03:57 PM
jwh20

Bikes: Felt Z5, Look 675 Light, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
#1 question: Are these bikes YOUR size? An incorrectly sized bicycle is a recipe for suffering and you'll regret buying it and eventually won't ride it any longer. If you don't know what size you should be riding, either visit a local shop or read-up on it on the internet. There are many useful resources but these are all guidelines. Every body is different and what fit one 6' person is all wrong for another 6' person. But you'll want to at least get in the right ballpark. Once you have an idea of your size, go look at the bikes that are in that range and try them out. I'd not be afraid to take along a hex wrench and adjust the seat height for a short test ride.

Beyond that, any of these bikes are of reasonable quality and likely have decent components that will get you started. I'm a big fan of buying nice pre-owned bikes as there are so many people out there that buy really nice bikes and then never ride them. So you can often get a quality bike for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Once you have gained some experience and learned what you like and what works for you, then you might consider a new one from a local bike shop.
Old 05-06-18, 06:40 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Fit first, of course, but assuming they all fit you I would take the Defy Advanced 2. It's ten-speed, carbon/composite frame, and best componentry. Also original MSRP $3000.

Edit: I should also add that they are all 'endurance' bikes, so suitable for beginner who are not used to a lower riding position.
Old 05-07-18, 05:57 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do you have a Performance Bike store near you? https://www.performancebike.com/shop...lusive-31-6959 Performance usually has the best $ for value around, which is great for beginners who don't care for the lightest or most aerodynamic equipment. Instead of Sora like what's on the Giant Contend 1, you can go two stops up to 105 shifting. I made the switch from Claris to Tiagra to 105, and with every step I could definitely tell a difference in shift quality.

If I had to recommend one of the bikes you listed, it's pretty tight between the 2014 Giant Defy Advanced 2 & the 2018 Giant Contend 1. On the one hand, you get 105 5700 and the other a brand new Sora. Ultimately, though, I'd probably go with the 2018 Contend.